Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 227145 times)

Skinny (+ 1 Hidden) and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline communist

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #460 on: June 26, 2013, 03:36:47 PM »
Warped

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #461 on: June 26, 2013, 03:39:35 PM »
Warped

Did you have the regulator on? What setting were you using?

Offline communist

« Reply #462 on: June 26, 2013, 03:46:43 PM »
Did you have the regulator on? What setting were you using?
Do you mean the black dial to regulate the flame on the front of the unit?  If so, I had it on half way for about 10 minutes, then put it all the way up and that's when the flames shoot out.  It happened at lunch time today again.   Mark

Online scott123

« Reply #463 on: June 26, 2013, 03:53:40 PM »
It happened at lunch time today again.   Mark

Mark, buddy, do we really have to tell you that if flame is shooting out the front of the panel, you shouldn't be using it? Are you really in that much of a hurry to use this oven?  ;D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 03:59:07 PM by scott123 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #464 on: June 26, 2013, 04:04:14 PM »
Got good responses from Cabela's and Blackstone.  Cabela will send out a new unit.  They will have UPS pick up my old unit.  I will try to rebox it (yikes).  Blackstone called.  They said the valve was right behind the black plastic dial, and he suspected a leaky valve.  He offered to replace the valve and send me a new stone.  He suggested that I could test the new unit for valve function by turning valve on to low, removing black plastic dial, and lighting a cigarette lighter to see if I got any flame.  I hope these units hold up.  The hood support bar on my unit warped after just 15 minutes of flame.  I will post a pic.   Mark
Mark,
Don't mess around with that valve and do Stone Bros. R&D for them!  "he suggested I have a leaky valve"...f'in duh man!  You have a bent shaft on the valve control due to being severely dropped in shipping and that has disrupted it's seal. And I mean 'severe"..this thing took a hit and....the brackets that hold that valve/dial and brackets supporting the burner to valve junction could now be bent also. So just replacing the valve might not be a total fix. Blackstone should know this...but sounds like they either don't or are willing to take chances with your safety in lue a an easy quick fix.
Cabelas have a better consumer standpoint/policy...."we'll replace it". They have different relationship with Stone than the 'lil guy has if he buys directly from Stone.....buyer beware.

And for all your troubles man...I would return that unit sans the one good stone you do have(keep for spare). And just bunch it together in a damn box for UPS pickup...it's jus going back to Cabellas and believe me, they are only going to put it in their dumpster after Stone Boys reimburse them.   
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 04:06:00 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online scott123

« Reply #465 on: June 26, 2013, 04:08:53 PM »
I would return that unit sans the one good stone you do have(keep for spare).

Actually, if I was going to hold on to something, I might keep the heat shield before the top stone. Not a bad idea, though.

Honestly, much like Chau's Forno Bravo screw-up, if I were the company, I'd probably let you keep the broken unit.  You deserve something for your troubles (imo).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 04:10:50 PM by scott123 »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #466 on: June 26, 2013, 04:30:14 PM »
 here's a pic of cordierite on top of the Blackstone. Look and feel are pretty similar. Blackstone has a bit finer grain to it. I'm going with it's cordierite

jon

ps....I have NEVER, EVER heard anyone say to check a gas leak with a match or a lighter. ABSOLUTELY reckless advice on their part!!
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #467 on: June 26, 2013, 04:54:56 PM »
Actually, if I was going to hold on to something, I might keep the heat shield before the top stone. Not a bad idea, though.

Honestly, much like Chau's Forno Bravo screw-up, if I were the company, I'd probably let you keep the broken unit.  You deserve something for your troubles (imo).
Keep 'em both.
That shield just lays in the "U" brackets that are welded onto the support box tube bar and probably a through bolt at top aluminum piece; no?   Keep it an double up on the shield.

Btw, I see some extra crappy mig welds on those most recent pics. Some have too much "heat penetration", which leaves surrounding metal brittle and rust prone....other welds show too little "penetration" and that will cause "bond" problems...things can 'snap' loose.   Just pointing out what I see and what could be possible problems down the line.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 04:57:36 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #468 on: June 26, 2013, 05:06:12 PM »
Warped
That's not going to have an effect until later when the brace separates further away from that back wall and allows heat to escape behind the shield.  One little tack weld placed directly at the midpoint of that bracket(under the center where it is bending) would have eliminated this potential problem.

Also, after looking at this more closely now....I believe an additional "U" bracket should have been placed on the opposite end of this shield bracket/bar and another "U" at the mid point of the box tube arm/bracket to help maintain the shape/integrity of the shield....the shield will probably begin warping/ become distorted before long.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 05:14:49 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #469 on: June 26, 2013, 05:12:55 PM »
Got good responses from Cabela's and Blackstone.  Cabela will send out a new unit.  They will have UPS pick up my old unit.  I will try to rebox it (yikes).  Blackstone called.  They said the valve was right behind the black plastic dial, and he suspected a leaky valve.  He offered to replace the valve and send me a new stone.  He suggested that I could test the new unit for valve function by turning valve on to low, removing black plastic dial, and lighting a cigarette lighter to see if I got any flame.  I hope these units hold up.  The hood support bar on my unit warped after just 15 minutes of flame.  I will post a pic.   Mark

Mark that support bar likely warped from the unit being dropped.  If it was from the heat, more of us would be seeing it.

Offline communist

« Reply #470 on: June 26, 2013, 07:19:12 PM »
Mark, buddy, do we really have to tell you that if flame is shooting out the front of the panel, you shouldn't be using it?
You are right Scott!  I won't play with fire any more ;)

That shield just lays in the "U" brackets that are welded onto the support box tube bar and probably a through bolt at top aluminum piece; no?   

Bob, the heat shield is welded to a frame that supports the top stone.  Yes, those welds do look suspect.
Mark that support bar likely warped from the unit being dropped.  If it was from the heat, more of us would be seeing it.
I hope so Chau, but the warp is exactly where the burner hits the metal and makes it glow red.   Mark

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #471 on: June 26, 2013, 07:42:18 PM »
Mark you are right.  I thought the same after I had looked at the photo you posted again.  It just seemed to fit the theory that your unit was dropped in light of the broken stone and the propane leaking from the front.  Seems as though you may have gotten a lemon.   It is strange that no one else has noticed their bracket warping yet.   ???

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #472 on: June 26, 2013, 07:43:58 PM »
Last nites 1st firing of the Blackstone. I used the SI 00 flour using the AVPM recipe. All and all, very happy with it, although I do think the dough got over developed and lost some of it's spring. Did a garlic olive oil pie first, a prosciutto jalapeno, pepperoni onion, and just onion all topped with mozz/prov blend and a bit of parm to finish. I want to try a low hydration cracker crust in this using 00 flour. The one thing I'm not fond of is the rotisserie motor, very weak and stops frequently so I'll be getting a different one for sure

jon

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #473 on: June 26, 2013, 07:44:53 PM »
a few more

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #474 on: June 26, 2013, 07:50:35 PM »
The one thing I'm not fond of is the rotisserie motor, very weak and stops frequently so I'll be getting a different one for sure

I have an electric one from my grill that I am hoping will fit. The mounting tabs look the same.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #475 on: June 26, 2013, 07:52:54 PM »
The one thing I'm not fond of is the rotisserie motor, very weak and stops frequently so I'll be getting a different one for sure

jon
Thought that is what the jj bearing/Chau's collar mod was for?

Oh well...Stone motor is battery powered anyway; right? Toss it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 07:56:38 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
« Reply #476 on: June 26, 2013, 08:00:18 PM »
Looks like you had some fun with your new oven. I bet you coulda pulled those pizzas out just a bit quicker. I have now used the grill quite a bit. I bet I have had it running combined for near 4 hours now and I haven't had any problems with the motor stopping or anything of the sort. I however did just install the bearing that was recommended and during the bake it started having problems or something because it started squeaking a bunch. I was scared there was maybe a problem or something. I pulled it apart this morning and it looked fine. We will see how it goes.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #477 on: June 26, 2013, 08:05:15 PM »
Jon, Bob is correct.  You need to raise the metal plate so it is not sitting on the lip of the oven.  That is causing undue friction.   The motor is plenty strong once you raise the plate.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #478 on: June 26, 2013, 08:05:37 PM »
Yes, haven't got around to getting the bearing yet, certainly will. yes, some edges got a little to done. A product of the over-fermentation I think cook AND cooked :-D

Bob, the rotisserie is either/or, for the power.

jon

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #479 on: June 26, 2013, 08:08:51 PM »
Jon, Bob is correct.  You need to raise the metal plate so it is not sitting on the lip of the oven.  That is causing undue friction.   The motor is plenty strong once you raise the plate.

That was the 1st thing I did upon set-up, plenty of clearance, that also added to some of the burnt edges was the frequent stopping when I was flapping with a beer :P No rubbing anyplace. Pretty cheap motors, I can easily stop the motor in my hands with just my finger

jon

pizzapan