Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 304244 times)

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #500 on: June 27, 2013, 01:44:25 PM »
I am going to be needing a cover for my Blackstone oven.  Blackstone Products doesn't seem to have one for it, so I guess I will just look for a generic plastic cover. Has anyone bought one yet?  Any thoughts?

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline slybarman

« Reply #501 on: June 27, 2013, 01:58:57 PM »
Oh oh. Doorbell just rang and . . .

I would have felt bad for the UPS man if I had not been here. This sucker is heavy and he would have had his hands full getting it off the truck by himself. I am sure they are somewhat used to it, but  . . .

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #502 on: June 27, 2013, 02:09:45 PM »
That's exciting SBM!  Do you have some dough all ready to throw in there once you get it assembled? 

BTW I forgot to mention that the battery for the igniter is AA and the positive goes into the spring towards the button. The instructions don't say that but there is a small graphic on the igniter button. 

Offline slybarman

« Reply #503 on: June 27, 2013, 02:15:36 PM »
That's exciting SBM!  Do you have some dough all ready to throw in there once you get it assembled? 

BTW I forgot to mention that the battery for the igniter is AA and the positive goes into the spring towards the button. The instructions don't say that but there is a small graphic on the igniter button.

Cool thanks.

No, I will make some dough tonight for use on Sunday. No time to play with the toy today.

Offline pt

« Reply #504 on: June 27, 2013, 02:37:20 PM »
Tinroof, this cover fits nice with one side shelf removed. It hangs down past the bottom shelf. Bought it at wally world.

http://store.weber.com/accessories/category/cover/1335

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #505 on: June 27, 2013, 02:55:32 PM »
Just made a SI 00 cracker crust to try out tomorrow. Looking forward to trying it out!!

Jon

100% SI 00 flour,
40% h20,
1% IDY
1.8% salt
3.5% lard
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 06:23:22 PM by Jackitup »
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline JRo

« Reply #506 on: June 27, 2013, 03:15:23 PM »
I am going to be needing a cover for my Blackstone oven.  Blackstone Products doesn't seem to have one for it, so I guess I will just look for a generic plastic cover. Has anyone bought one yet?  Any thoughts?

Regards,

TinRoof

I bought this one:  http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Stormproof-Grill-Cover/1604831.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dgrill%2Bcover%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=grill+cover&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

It's big, and heavy-duty, but it covers everything well, and haven't had any issues with it blowing off.  We live out on the prairie, and the wind is ALWAYS blowing.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #507 on: June 27, 2013, 04:18:03 PM »
Just check Cabela's website..."SOLD OUT"

JON

Offline kevinbrown22

• Pizza, not life or death much more important.
« Reply #508 on: June 27, 2013, 05:34:35 PM »
Around and around it goes. :pizza:
Science, better than making stuff up since well forever.

Offline Willy510

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #509 on: June 27, 2013, 05:41:13 PM »
Mine showed up today along with the extra bearing that I ordered from Ebay.  :)
Nothing broken or damaged !!!  ;D
It looks like someone checked out the contents of the box before shipping because they left me a utility knife in the box.

I put the bearing on the shaft and set the stone about 4.5 inches apart and fired it up.
I don't know if I could be happier with it so far, Here's a pic of my first attempt at making decent dough, don't remember what recipe I used now, I've read so many in the past couple of days, It's been in the fridge for 2 days now and it was my first try at using a peel.

It taste better than 90% of the pizza that I've had in the bay area

Thanks to all for the information on this oven so far !!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 05:54:21 PM by Willy510 »

Offline slybarman

« Reply #510 on: June 27, 2013, 05:48:55 PM »
Oh man . . . I picked the wrong week to buy 5 lbs of bacon topping.   >:D

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #511 on: June 27, 2013, 05:57:31 PM »
Mine showed up today along with the extra bearing that I ordered from Ebay.  :)

Nice. Be careful of the bearing though. Mine is still squeaking pretty good so I wonder if something is starting melt a bit. Looks like some great pizzas for the first time.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #512 on: June 27, 2013, 06:03:37 PM »
Looks like some great pizzas for the first time.

Looks like he got a good open crumb.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #513 on: June 27, 2013, 06:24:09 PM »

Looks like he got a good open crumb.

Ya I definitely agree.

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #514 on: June 27, 2013, 06:50:37 PM »
Boy, you guys are really causing me to take a hard look at this. 6:35 PM EDT, in Tampa, FL, 86 degrees, with 90% humidity, and the wife has a pot pie in the oven. The air conditioning is really working hard to keep up.

I used to have a gas grill in the lanai (covered screened patio for you northerners). Lined it with the cheap unglazed quarry tile from Home Depot to cook my pizzas. Worked great, even started smelling like a Chicago pizzeria from the old days. Then one day, I started it up, walked inside to the air conditioning to let it warm up. Walked back out with the pizza, and flames were shooting from the front of the grill, right through the aluminium where I had burned it out. So got rid of that, and bought a weber charcoal grill, since the steaks taste better that way, but the pizza is now made in the house oven.

Now I'm thinking of buying something to try to keep it cool in the house, but still make good pizza.

A couple of questions that I have:

1) I'm a thin crust, cracker crust, deep dish, kind of guy - Yeah, from growing up in Chicago in the 50's-60's... Will this really work for those styles?
2) Since we have the occasional (Hah!) afternoon thunderstorm,  how about cooking steaks, burgers, chicken, pork chops, probably in a cast iron skillet in this thing? Anybody do that yet?
3) How well do you think it will last in the Florida humidity. I can stick it in the garage, but I think the humidity will get it there, too.
4) and I guess the last is not really a question, but I checked on Cabela's website, and it said the product is no longer available. I can get t from Griddleguru's, but is Blackstone going to stay around?

Thanks for any info.
Tom

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #515 on: June 27, 2013, 06:59:56 PM »
Well, I'll start by telling you I have a couple cracker crusts fermenting for tomorrow so I'll find out tomorrow. Out of stock is what the man told me at Cabela's but some stores have the display model available. If it was a litigation thing I think they would be ALL pulled, so out of stock means they are selling well. As far as them staying around....anything that would wear out I think is fairly easy to DIY

jon

Offline Willy510

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #516 on: June 27, 2013, 07:21:09 PM »
Nice. Be careful of the bearing though. Mine is still squeaking pretty good so I wonder if something is starting melt a bit. Looks like some great pizzas for the first time.

Thanks, I have some food grade high temp grease somewhere around here that I'll try if the bearing starts to squeak and maybe a upside down pie plate with a hole in it as a heat and debris shield for the bearing.

I had to google what "good open crumb" meant  ??? I've never been much of a bread baker.

Here's the recipe I used for my first attempt above. 2 days in the fridge_ A Reinhart' Neo-Neapolitan recipe
Flour (100%):
Water (67.2247%):
ADY (.590275%):
Salt (1.75%):
Olive Oil (4.2328%):
Sugar (1.875%):
Total (175.672775%):

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 07:22:57 PM by Willy510 »

Offline redox

« Reply #517 on: June 27, 2013, 07:23:07 PM »
I was at the Cabela's in Dundee MI yesterday and all they had was a display model. I was tempted but balked at the hassle of getting it in the suv. http://griddleguru.com/ still has for $369.99 and free shipping. I'm still drawn to it but it's clear that it won't be a popular decision, so I'm still doing a cost/benefit analysis.  :-D

Offline slybarman

« Reply #518 on: June 27, 2013, 07:29:00 PM »
Thanks, I have some food grade high temp grease somewhere around here that I'll try if the bearing starts to squeak and maybe a upside down pie plate with a hole in it as a heat and debris shield for the bearing.

I had to google what "good open crumb" meant  ??? I've never been much of a bread baker.

Here's the recipe I used for my first attempt above. 2 days in the fridge_ A Reinhart' Neo-Neapolitan recipe
Flour (100%):
Water (67.2247%):
ADY (.590275%):
Salt (1.75%):
Olive Oil (4.2328%):
Sugar (1.875%):
Total (175.672775%):

I am surprised to see sugar and a bunch of oil in a neapolitan recipe.

Offline kevinbrown22

• Pizza, not life or death much more important.
« Reply #519 on: June 27, 2013, 07:30:56 PM »
Tom,
Well I'm in Arizona and being able to cook outside is great. Between the Blackstone, a grill and a propane burner I'm set.
It's low tech so repair should be easy. Time will tell on that.
Someone on here cooked steak on a cast iron skillet and said it worked good, it gets hot enough for sure.
My Griddleguru order was fast and no problem. YMMV

Science, better than making stuff up since well forever.

pizzapan