Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 318913 times)

Offline kevinbrown22

• Pizza, not life or death much more important.
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #520 on: June 27, 2013, 07:34:16 PM »
Tom,
I don't know why you couldn't bake most any type of round pizza on it.
Kevin
Science, better than making stuff up since well forever.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #521 on: June 27, 2013, 07:53:34 PM »

A couple of questions that I have:

1) I'm a thin crust, cracker crust, deep dish, kind of guy - Yeah, from growing up in Chicago in the 50's-60's... Will this really work for those styles?
2) Since we have the occasional (Hah!) afternoon thunderstorm,  how about cooking steaks, burgers, chicken, pork chops, probably in a cast iron skillet in this thing? Anybody do that yet?
3) How well do you think it will last in the Florida humidity. I can stick it in the garage, but I think the humidity will get it there, too.
4) and I guess the last is not really a question, but I checked on Cabela's website, and it said the product is no longer available. I can get t from Griddleguru's, but is Blackstone going to stay around?

Thanks for any info.
Tom

1. Ya it will work fine. The thing is a lot of members are buying these ovens because of what it can do that their home ovens can't do. So it takes away some of the glamor if you are only doing things that your home oven can already do.
2. Blackstone website has pics and stuff of people doing it. I also read reviews of people saying it works great. I don't have a cast iron that will fit so I haven't tried it yet. Maybe I will go get some and try it.
3. I can't see the humidity really causing you any problems. Sure it might rust or not look as good. But it should work just fine. It's not a super complicated device. Any problems should be DIY friendly.
4. Just order it from GriddleGuru. No tax and free shipping is awesome. I don't know why so many people are worrying about Cabelas. Only reason I would get it from Cabelas would be to go pick it up for instant gratification and to see it in person. No need to order it from them online.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #522 on: June 27, 2013, 07:58:21 PM »
Only reason I would get it from Cabelas would be to go pick it up for instant gratification and to see it in person. No need to order it from them online.

EXACTLY why I got it there. I decided on it on the last day I worked and 8 days off and did not want to wait :-D PLUS I got give it an 'eyes on' scratch and sniff shake test and took 1/2 of it apart on their floor model >:D

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline jgerardi

• Learning to make pizza....
« Reply #523 on: June 27, 2013, 08:04:51 PM »
After following this thread since it's beginning, I literally couldn't take it any longer and ordered a unit from Griddle Guru.  The oven arrive yesterday after a quick two day shipping.  It arrived in good condition with the exception that the rotating motor was missing.  I called the phone number in the back of the owner's manual and left a message (it was after hours their time) explaining the missing part and gave them my phone #.  I purposely did not call today to see if they understood good customer service well enough to call me back...no luck.  It looks like I will have to give them a call again in the morning.  Another thing I noticed (not sure if I should be concerned or not) is the welding of the front plate to the top cover looks a little shoddy to me.  Other than that the unit looks well made and sturdy.

Unfortunately I won't be able to fire it  up until this weekend.  I am not very experienced in making dough so I thought I would start with the NY and NP recipes on slice....the wait is like torture!
"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." Yogi Berra

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #524 on: June 27, 2013, 08:31:45 PM »
After following this thread since it's beginning, I literally couldn't take it any longer and ordered a unit from Griddle Guru.  The oven arrive yesterday after a quick two day shipping.  It arrived in good condition with the exception that the rotating motor was missing.  I called the phone number in the back of the owner's manual and left a message (it was after hours their time) explaining the missing part and gave them my phone #.  I purposely did not call today to see if they understood good customer service well enough to call me back...no luck.  It looks like I will have to give them a call again in the morning.  Another thing I noticed (not sure if I should be concerned or not) is the welding of the front plate to the top cover looks a little shoddy to me.  Other than that the unit looks well made and sturdy.

Unfortunately I won't be able to fire it  up until this weekend.  I am not very experienced in making dough so I thought I would start with the NY and NP recipes on slice....the wait is like torture!
I'm confused...why would you come on to the most informative pizza making site in the world and say you are going to make the slice recipes because you are not very experienced?  We'll help you man.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jgerardi

• Learning to make pizza....
« Reply #525 on: June 27, 2013, 08:42:58 PM »
Okay, thanks Chicago Bob.  I appreciate the assist, I just thought those may be good recipes to start with.  Any suggestions on where I should begin or should I just go the the recipe threads and start reading?  Thanks again, John
"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." Yogi Berra

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #526 on: June 27, 2013, 08:47:45 PM »
Thanks, guys...

All I needed was a little nudge. Order placed. Should have it in a couple of days..

Too bad I didn't order it before the weekend, but I should have it for the July 4th, long weekend.....

Tom

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #527 on: June 27, 2013, 08:52:58 PM »
Okay, thanks Chicago Bob.  I appreciate the assist, I just thought those may be good recipes to start with.  Any suggestions on where I should begin or should I just go the the recipe threads and start reading?  Thanks again, John
For a beginner I would suggest anything from member Jackie Tran "Chau"...he makes brilliant pizza and  is sort of a "natural" teacher. Has many recipes for just the type of pizza you are wanting to make on your new oven...he's on this very thread too.  Can't go wrong with a Tran Man pie.  ;)
Good luck and have fun!  :chef:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 08:54:30 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #528 on: June 27, 2013, 09:13:43 PM »
For a beginner I would suggest anything from member Jackie Tran "Chau"...he makes brilliant pizza and  is sort of a "natural" teacher. Has many recipes for just the type of pizza you are wanting to make on your new oven...he's on this very thread too.  Can't go wrong with a Tran Man pie.  ;)
Good luck and have fun!  :chef:

ANDDDDD, anything Craig has posted on NP dough. Hands down some of the best stuff on this site. Haven't read everything on this site but as much and more than most. Spend the time reading vs a quick answer and you will learn SOOOOO much just on accident!!!!!!!!!

jon

Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #529 on: June 27, 2013, 09:44:50 PM »
John,
As a beginner you may want to ease into the Neopolitan doughs with their yeast starters....check out this Tran Man pizza pie; wouldn't that look great coming off your new oven!  :chef:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13728.msg162901.html#msg162901

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #530 on: June 27, 2013, 10:06:47 PM »
Wow, more and more people getting the ovens. I think the people at blackstone owe the pizzamaking forums some kickback lol. If they offered me some refund amount, I would remake all of their videos for them and give them new pics to use.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #531 on: June 28, 2013, 12:02:13 AM »
Bob, thank you for the nice words.

Tonight I made a Sicillian pie in the blackstone with limited sucess.   I loaded the pan at a stone temp of 450f and after 8 min of baking the edge of the crust was brown but the bottom was still pale.   I covered the top with foil to prevent the cheese from overbaking and continued baking the bottom at higher temps.  I ended up having to brown the bottom on the stove.   Next time I will remove the gap between my stone and bottom plate or just remove the stone and bake directly on the metal plate.  That should allow for more even baking.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 07:21:41 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline communist

« Reply #532 on: June 28, 2013, 09:01:38 AM »
ordered a unit from Griddle Guru.  The oven arrive yesterday after a quick two day shipping.  It arrived in good condition with the exception that the rotating motor was missing.  I called the phone number in the back of the owner's manual and left a message (it was after hours their time) explaining the missing part and gave them my phone #.  I purposely did not call today to see if they understood good customer service well enough to call me back...no luck.  It looks like I will have to give them a call again in the morning.  Another thing I noticed (not sure if I should be concerned or not) is the welding of the front plate to the top cover looks a little shoddy to me.  Other than that the unit looks well made and sturdy.

Is griddle guru Blackstone? I am waiting for UPS to pick up my defective unit.  Should I replace it?  Seeing and hearing about broken stones, a faulty gas leak ( it looks like a poor quality manufacturing defect, not shipping damage ), missing motor, unreliable motor which can cause serious damage if it stops, shoddy welding....I, like many, am desperate for Neapolitan in a cheap and easy oven, but am I being foolish?   Mark

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #533 on: June 28, 2013, 09:17:05 AM »
That looks delicious Chau.  I wonder if you did a pretty long preheat of the stone and got pretty hot, and then backed off on the burner for the actual cooking time.  I'm worried about what would happen with no stone. I think the bottom might end up a a crispy critter.

Here are a few that I made last night. The clam pie was incredibly delicious. As you can see I left it in too long! But I was waiting for the clams to open up. I should have turned the burner off (or way down) to finish the pizza. I did cook a couple of them on the lowest setting for the burner and they took about 4-5 minutes at that setting.  The brussels sprouts were baked at too high a setting. I should have backed off on the burner for that one too.  This oven is so darn powerful, you really have to watch it.  I'm starting to realize that if you give it a really good preheating and get the stone up to 700F then you don't need to have the burner on that high when you cook the pizza and maybe it cooks a bit more evenly. 

I also discovered that it is handy to have a pair of long handle metal tongs to grab the pizza when you take it out of the oven or to move the pizza around on the stone.  Also, I've been using my old trusty wooden peel which I've had for at least 20 years, but I think I'm going to have to switch it out for a metal peel because the wooden peel is starting to burn on the end. 

I wanted to try doing a steak but when I put my cast iron pan in the handle kept getting caught as it rotated around. So I guess I need a smaller cast iron pan or one with no handle.  I'm sure they make something like that. 

Best regards,

TinRoof

Online slybarman

« Reply #534 on: June 28, 2013, 09:24:38 AM »
The second pie and last pie look about perfect.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #535 on: June 28, 2013, 09:25:15 AM »
  Is griddle guru Blackstone? I am waiting for UPS to pick up my defective unit.  Should I replace it?  Seeing and hearing about broken stones, a faulty gas leak ( it looks like a poor quality manufacturing defect, not shipping damage ), missing motor, unreliable motor which can cause serious damage if it stops, shoddy welding....I, like many, am desperate for Neapolitan in a cheap and easy oven, but am I being foolish?   Mark

Yes, absolutely replace it.  It's capable of making a much better pizza than I can make in my home oven. It's super fun to use.  Don't be discouraged, your next one will probably be fine and you will be very happy I bet. 

I think that these units must have had some rough treatment on the way over from China and the one's around the edges of the pallet/container are probably in worse shape than the ones on the inside.  Mine was just fine, except for a very minor dent.  Blackstone/GG should start carefully checking the boxes before shipping and making sure stuff isn't broken before it is sent out.  That would save them and the customers a lot of grief. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #536 on: June 28, 2013, 10:13:01 AM »
The second pie and last pie look about perfect.
   ^^^   Yep, they are very nice.

Tin Roof; I've seen handle-less cast iron shallow pans...I'll bet this one would be awesome and it's inexpensive enough that you could just saw off the handle.
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8SGP3-Pre-Seasoned-Square-10-5-inch/dp/B0000CF66W/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #537 on: June 28, 2013, 10:38:29 AM »
   ^^^   Yep, they are very nice.

Tin Roof; I've seen handle-less cast iron shallow pans...I'll bet this one would be awesome and it's inexpensive enough that you could just saw off the handle.
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8SGP3-Pre-Seasoned-Square-10-5-inch/dp/B0000CF66W/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Thanks guys!  Great idea on the grill pan. What kind of saw would you use to saw off the handle. I have a hacksaw but I think it would take about an hour to saw it off! 

Offline scott123

« Reply #538 on: June 28, 2013, 10:39:59 AM »
Okay, thanks Chicago Bob.  I appreciate the assist, I just thought those may be good recipes to start with.

John, this might end up shocking some people, but, imo, if you wanted to put in the least amount of effort researching an easy NY style recipe, Kenji's recipe might be the best candidate in that regard. Beginners that want the information spoon fed to them are pretty much his target audience. It won't be authentic, and it won't produce the best pizza possible, but, for now, it will get the job done.

It's a little like purchasing Trader Joe's doughballs.  If that's what you have to do to get pizza on the table, it's not the end of the world- as long as you're fully aware that, with some research and elbow grease, an exponentially better product can be made from homemade dough using a recipe on this site.

As far as Kenji's NP recipe goes, though- that's not worth the photons broadcasting it through your screen ;D It's a 'close enough' mentality based approach watered down for ovens that can't make Neapolitan style pizza, producing something that is neither authentic nor good. It'll get a bit more complicated finding a beginning (read: regular yeast) NP recipe here, but, if you're going that route, that's your only choice.

Offline redox

« Reply #539 on: June 28, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
Has anyone yet had a completed exchange with griddleguru's customer service, i.e. a damaged oven replaced? I'm just wondering if their promises are kept. Have replacement parts been sent?
And I was more than a little alarmed by the check for a propane leak with a lighter comment. That was criminally stupid.
They say:
Returns & Replacements
    GriddleGuru is committed to offering quality products and timely service. If you have experienced an issue with a product that you ordered please contact us by email or by phone and we will be happy to assist you. Please see our contact page for further details on how to contact GriddleGuru.com.

Just wondering how they deal with damaged products.

pizzapan