Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 228624 times)

RyanH and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline jgerardi

• Learning to make pizza....
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #540 on: June 28, 2013, 11:00:16 AM »
John, this might end up shocking some people, but, imo, if you wanted to put in the least amount of effort researching an easy NY style recipe, Kenji's recipe might be the best candidate in that regard. Beginners that want the information spoon fed to them are pretty much his target audience. It won't be authentic, and it won't produce the best pizza possible, but, for now, it will get the job done.

It's a little like purchasing Trader Joe's doughballs.  If that's what you have to do to get pizza on the table, it's not the end of the world- as long as you're fully aware that, with some research and elbow grease, an exponentially better product can be made from homemade dough using a recipe on this site.

As far as Kenji's NP recipe goes, though- that's not worth the photons broadcasting it through your screen ;D It's a 'close enough' mentality based approach watered down for ovens that can't make Neapolitan style pizza, producing something that is neither authentic nor good. It'll get a bit more complicated finding a beginning (read: regular yeast) NP recipe here, but, if you're going that route, that's your only choice.

That's pretty much what I was thinking..right now I just want to get some dough in the oven.  There's no question I will want to experiment with many of the recipes on this site (some of the pies are the best I've ever seen) and make truly authentic, delicious pizza.  There is a lot to learn here...right now I just want to get started and try that oven. Thanks.
"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." Yogi Berra

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #541 on: June 28, 2013, 11:04:06 AM »
John, this might end up shocking some people, but, imo, if you wanted to put in the least amount of effort researching an easy NY style recipe, Kenji's recipe might be the best candidate in that regard. Beginners that want the information spoon fed to them are pretty much his target audience. It won't be authentic, and it won't produce the best pizza possible, but, for now, it will get the job done.

It's a little like purchasing Trader Joe's doughballs.  If that's what you have to do to get pizza on the table, it's not the end of the world- as long as you're fully aware that, with some research and elbow grease, an exponentially better product can be made from homemade dough using a recipe on this site.

As far as Kenji's NP recipe goes, though- that's not worth the photons broadcasting it through your screen ;D It's a 'close enough' mentality based approach watered down for ovens that can't make Neapolitan style pizza, producing something that is neither authentic nor good. It'll get a bit more complicated finding a beginning (read: regular yeast) NP recipe here, but, if you're going that route, that's your only choice.
John,
For NP pizza using regular yeast I was going to recommend member "JConk007"...check out his great "Flirting with Fire!" thread here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14533.0.html
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #542 on: June 28, 2013, 11:05:51 AM »
Scott123....whatever dude!  :-D

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #543 on: June 28, 2013, 11:11:31 AM »
Here's a video I shot yesterday of the Blackstone oven. Sorry for my head getting in the way. The temperature on my IR thermometer varied quite a bit depending where I was shooting, but it was probably around 850 on the floor and around 700 on the upper stone.  This video is real time with no cuts. 

<a href="http://youtu.be/9M2XUgan9MA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/9M2XUgan9MA</a>

Offline scott123

« Reply #544 on: June 28, 2013, 11:16:49 AM »
I, like many, am desperate for Neapolitan in a cheap and easy oven, but am I being foolish?

Foolish? No, but, I think you're taking a risk- anyone that purchases this oven is taking a bit of a (mostly financial) risk- it's just a matter of weighing that risk with the potential rewards- and, so far, it's looking like the potential risks, with a little DIY, can be mitigated, and the rewards, with the stunning NP pies we're seeing, are obvious.

It's easy to see all the bent/banged up parts and focus on typically notoriously bad handling from shippers, and give Blackstone a pass, but, if you look at the bigger picture, any manufacturing company worth their salt should be fully aware of the potential for rough handling during shipping and prepare accordingly with appropriate packaging. These banged up ovens are yet another failing grade on Blackstone's report card, but, at the end of the day, there's no law of the universe that says that a scummy/potentially patent infringing, (most likely) made-in-China, (seemingly) inept company can't make an oven that reliably produces Neapolitan pizza.

I've made it crystal clear, I have no love for Blackstone.  But this isn't the better business bureau, this is pizzamaking.com, and as long as this oven can produce NP pizza at this price, it gets my qualified endorsement- to those with DIY inclinations and for whom $369 wouldn't be a catastrophic loss.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #545 on: June 28, 2013, 11:23:08 AM »
Next time I will remove the gap between my stone and bottom plate or just remove the stone and bake directly on the metal plate.  That should allow for more even baking.
Awesome man; more proof of the versatility of this oven...you have now turned it into a rotating deck oven!  ;D

Offline redox

« Reply #546 on: June 28, 2013, 11:42:18 AM »
It always worries me a tiny bit when I see things like: Infinately adjustable burner valve for precise temperature control on a company's website, it just doesn't seem adequately professional.

Offline etout

« Reply #547 on: June 28, 2013, 11:45:22 AM »
Well.....I've been lurking around this forum since the first post and finally bit the bullet the other day, my Blackstone is set to arrive on Wednesday. It should be interesting to see what condition it will arrive in from UPS considering its shipping from Utah to Upstate NY....over a week to get here (fingers crossed it doesn't arrive in a crumbled mess, UPS is the WORST when it comes to safe handling of large/heavy items)

Offline jgerardi

• Learning to make pizza....
« Reply #548 on: June 28, 2013, 11:59:32 AM »
That looks delicious Chau.  I wonder if you did a pretty long preheat of the stone and got pretty hot, and then backed off on the burner for the actual cooking time.  I'm worried about what would happen with no stone. I think the bottom might end up a a crispy critter.

Here are a few that I made last night. The clam pie was incredibly delicious. As you can see I left it in too long! But I was waiting for the clams to open up. I should have turned the burner off (or way down) to finish the pizza. I did cook a couple of them on the lowest setting for the burner and they took about 4-5 minutes at that setting.  The brussels sprouts were baked at too high a setting. I should have backed off on the burner for that one too.  This oven is so darn powerful, you really have to watch it.  I'm starting to realize that if you give it a really good preheating and get the stone up to 700F then you don't need to have the burner on that high when you cook the pizza and maybe it cooks a bit more evenly. 

I also discovered that it is handy to have a pair of long handle metal tongs to grab the pizza when you take it out of the oven or to move the pizza around on the stone.  Also, I've been using my old trusty wooden peel which I've had for at least 20 years, but I think I'm going to have to switch it out for a metal peel because the wooden peel is starting to burn on the end. 

I wanted to try doing a steak but when I put my cast iron pan in the handle kept getting caught as it rotated around. So I guess I need a smaller cast iron pan or one with no handle.  I'm sure they make something like that. 

Best regards,

TinRoof

TinRoof, I got to put that clam pie on my list.  Except for the parts that are a little well done, it looks absolutely mouthwatering!  Actually, all  your pies look very tasty.
"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." Yogi Berra

Offline kevinbrown22

• Pizza, not life or death much more important.
« Reply #549 on: June 28, 2013, 12:02:32 PM »
Thanks guys!  Great idea on the grill pan. What kind of saw would you use to saw off the handle. I have a hacksaw but I think it would take about an hour to saw it off!

I'd use an angle grinder, but I haven't used one on cast iron. Make sure you use the usual safety precautions and be careful. You can pickup a cheap one a horror freight. 
Science, better than making stuff up since well forever.

Offline kevinbrown22

• Pizza, not life or death much more important.
« Reply #550 on: June 28, 2013, 12:08:07 PM »
It always worries me a tiny bit when I see things like: Infinately adjustable burner valve for precise temperature control on a company's website, it just doesn't seem adequately professional.
It's more like somewhat adjustable. 
Science, better than making stuff up since well forever.

Offline pt

« Reply #551 on: June 28, 2013, 12:14:13 PM »
(fingers crossed it doesn't arrive in a crumbled mess, UPS is the WORST when it comes to safe handling of large/heavy items)

I agree.  They should not be allowed to ship anything but flat envelopes. And even then they can screw that up. Absolutely the worst.

Enjoy your new oven.  :D

Offline redox

« Reply #552 on: June 28, 2013, 12:16:51 PM »
I'd use an angle grinder, but I haven't used one on cast iron. Make sure you use the usual safety precautions and be careful. You can pickup a cheap one a horror freight.
This is available from Amazon for $30 and prime shipping, too. I'll bet those handles would come off if you accidentally banged them the wrong way.

Offline pt

« Reply #553 on: June 28, 2013, 12:29:28 PM »
Thanks guys!  Great idea on the grill pan. What kind of saw would you use to saw off the handle. I have a hacksaw but I think it would take about an hour to saw it off!

I used a bolt cutter to cut the handle off of that pan. Be sure to wear a full face shield if you use the grinder.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #554 on: June 28, 2013, 12:37:20 PM »
You'll need a pack of cut-off disks too....otherwise you'll be at it all day with just a normal grinding stone/wheel.   ;)  http://www.harborfreight.com/general-merch/tile-and-stone/10-piece-4-inch-grinding-cut-off-wheel-assortment-for-metal-masonry-47568.html

Offline scott123

« Reply #555 on: June 28, 2013, 12:59:09 PM »
This is available from Amazon for $30 and prime shipping, too. I'll bet those handles would come off if you accidentally banged them the wrong way.

That's 1/8" iron bar- bolt cutters, sure, but you'd have to bang these a long time to get them to break off.

That pan should fit fine on the blackstone even with handles, though.

There's also this cast iron pan

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Seasoned-14-Inch-Pizza/dp/B000Q01WBU/ref=pd_sbs_k_3

smaller handles, lighter gauge, deeper profile.

I'd also take a look at local Asian supermarkets, if one is available.  A flat bottom wok might work perfectly, and these woks frequently have wood handles that can be easily removed.

http://www.woksfordinner.com/index.php/woks/chop-suey-wok.html
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 01:01:16 PM by scott123 »

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #556 on: June 28, 2013, 01:05:21 PM »

That claim is technically wrong of course but the burner is adjustable over a pretty wide range of flows. They are using the word "infinitely" in the sense of "pretty darn adjustable".

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #557 on: June 28, 2013, 01:07:52 PM »
This is a comal, which folks in the West and Southwest will know well. This might make a good vessel for a steak on the Blackstone. 

Offline redox

« Reply #558 on: June 28, 2013, 01:09:39 PM »
That claim is technically wrong of course but the burner is adjustable over a pretty wide range of flows. They are using the word "infinitely" in the sense of "pretty darn adjustable".
There's that misspelling issue, too. Just careless. C'mon, the site is how the world sees them, at least let a competent editor look it over.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #559 on: June 28, 2013, 01:15:35 PM »
TinRoof, I got to put that clam pie on my list.  Except for the parts that are a little well done, it looks absolutely mouthwatering!  Actually, all  your pies look very tasty.

Thanks JG.  I got the idea of putting whole clams on the pie from Kenji on Slice.  He was right, it is the tastiest way to make a clam pizza if the clam shell doesn't explode from too much heat.  That's happened to me twice.  So I guess it would be safer to shuck the clams onto the pizza but who has time to do that?  By the time I got one clam open the pizza skin would be super-glued to the peel.  So I think the answer is to not use a really high heat to cook the pizza when you have clams on top.  The two times it happened were when I used the broiler on the oven.  Yesterday the pizza cooked so fast I don't think there was tiime for the shell to crack!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 01:17:59 PM by tinroofrusted »