Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 288761 times)

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #580 on: June 29, 2013, 01:01:05 PM »
So far my oven has seen about 8 hours of use on low and less than 10 minutes of use on medium. During my last bake the heat shield began flaking:

20130628_212147.mp4

I also noticed a bit of flaking on the heat shield right where the flame hits it directly. I took the heat shield off to inspect it and as best I can tell it is some blueing coming off of the steel. We shall see as time goes by but I don't think the flaking will continue after the blueing comes off. 

Offline redox

« Reply #581 on: June 29, 2013, 01:07:55 PM »
Looks like I'm in the broken stone club.
Man, that sucks. Who delivers these pizza ovens, the Hulk? I'd be interested to know how quickly they take care of this for you.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #582 on: June 29, 2013, 01:08:29 PM »
Photo of the unassembled innards for reference.
Thanks Steve...nice pic. Any chance we could get a pic of the piece that sits on top of that...(an upside down shot of the shield piece).

ps. is the stone shipped with no bobble wrap on it....just laying in there on the turntable unprotected?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 01:10:18 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline redox

« Reply #583 on: June 29, 2013, 01:14:53 PM »
Looks like I'm in the broken stone club.
Seriously, that's the saddest thing I've seen since Williams defeated Sharapova for the 2013 French Open Mixed Singles title.  :angel:

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #584 on: June 29, 2013, 01:29:46 PM »
Chau, I've been staring at that pic for about a minute...Wow...That is so nice.

Thanks man.  Here's what she looks like all dressed up.   Decent eating pie. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #585 on: June 29, 2013, 01:33:31 PM »
Thanks man.  Here's what she looks like all dressed up.   Decent eating pie.
Boy, she's a beauty. Have a quick formula for us so I can write this one down sir?   :chef:

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #586 on: June 29, 2013, 01:57:02 PM »
I also noticed a bit of flaking on the heat shield right where the flame hits it directly. I took the heat shield off to inspect it and as best I can tell it is some blueing coming off of the steel. We shall see as time goes by but I don't think the flaking will continue after the blueing comes off.

I took a picture last night to post this exact same thing. Here is actually the outside of my heat shield. It is flaking more. I also don't think it will flake more.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #587 on: June 29, 2013, 02:18:59 PM »
Correct - the stone is just sitting in there with no bubble wrap. As far as UPS (United parcel smashers), I am not sure I entirely blame them. This box is quite heavy and I know these guys are single-handing the boxes more often than not. They probably cant help banging them around some. They might be lazy by not getting out the ol hand truck, but these guys have a zillion boxes deliver before their shift is over and so the inevitable happens. Bottom line is Blackstone needs to better package the stone and a few of the other bits.

Anyhow, I got mine all together. I had not trouble using the electric motor from my grill's rotisserie. It is a beefier looking motor, so I feel a bit more comfortable with it.

I noticed that the grub screw that hold the collar on the shaft really doesn't have much to grab onto. I am not sure if anyone's has slipped yet, but I am thinking I may want to grind a flat onto the shaft with my dremel for the grub screw to grab onto.

I found all the pieces of the stone (including the missing chip after I took the photo below). Because the stone is broken i won't be able to elevate it with washers for now. I did test fire the oven. As others have mentioned, I found just over a 100 degree difference between the middle of the stone and the outer edges of it. Seems like a large disparity to me.

I was surprised by just how much adjustment there is in the regulator. This thing has some range.

Bob - I am not sure I follow which part you wanted a photo of.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #588 on: June 29, 2013, 02:49:19 PM »
Steve,
The top part that contains the shield and top stone...no one has shown a clear pic of this. I'm real curious how the shield comes up out of our site and how it bends/transitions into/on the top stone. Thanks.

Offline kevinbrown22

• Pizza, not life or death much more important.
« Reply #589 on: June 29, 2013, 03:15:09 PM »
Try this.
Science, better than making stuff up since well forever.

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #590 on: June 29, 2013, 03:17:03 PM »
Tin, I am using metal nuts instead of washers.  I have also used nickels for the same purpose in my LBE.  I loaded this one yesterday at a hearth temp of 900f for a 90 sec bake.

Perfection from my eyes.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #591 on: June 29, 2013, 03:33:51 PM »
The cover for a Charbroil 2 burner grill fits fine - I am not using the side shelves to conserve space on my deck.

Also - if you leave the bottom shelf off, the propane tank tucks neatly underneath the oven. I am not sure of they were counting on the shelf to stabilize the legs, but the thing really isn't moving around anyway, so . . .
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 05:14:25 PM by slybarman »

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #592 on: June 29, 2013, 04:50:54 PM »
I took a lousy TJ dough, cut it in half and then reballed it and let it sit in the fridge overnight.  I preheated the oven on "low", (bottom stone about 630F).  The bake time was just under 3 minutes. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 04:53:51 PM by jsaras »
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline jgerardi

• Learning to make pizza....
« Reply #593 on: June 29, 2013, 04:58:37 PM »
Has anyone yet had a completed exchange with griddleguru's customer service, i.e. a damaged oven replaced? I'm just wondering if their promises are kept. Have replacement parts been sent?
And I was more than a little alarmed by the check for a propane leak with a lighter comment. That was criminally stupid.
They say:
Returns & Replacements
    GriddleGuru is committed to offering quality products and timely service. If you have experienced an issue with a product that you ordered please contact us by email or by phone and we will be happy to assist you. Please see our contact page for further details on how to contact GriddleGuru.com.

Just wondering how they deal with damaged products.

My unit arrived with the rotating motor missing.  When I called the number in the back of the owner's manual it was already after business hours so I left a message.  I purposely did not call the next day to see if anyone would return my call.  Unfortunately no one ever did.  However, I did call again the following day during normal business hours and the person who answered the call was courteous, apologized for the error, and took all the pertinent information.  He stated that he would create the shipping order right away and I should receive the part within a couple of days.  So far so good. 

I should also state that the number I called in the back of the book was to Blackstone in Utah, when I called again it was to GriddleGuru in Arizona.  This may have had something to do with not receiving a return phone call, although I would have thought the Blackstone guys would have been a little more proactive.  :)
"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." Yogi Berra

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #594 on: June 29, 2013, 05:10:27 PM »
I took a lousy TJ dough, cut it in half and then reballed it and let it sit in the fridge overnight.  I preheated the oven on "low", (bottom stone about 630F).  The bake time was just under 3 minutes.
I've never been able to get a lousy 'ol TJ dough ball to look like that.  ;D
So how did it taste OJB? Any tenderness at all to it...sure looks decent I must say.  :chef:

Offline skshah

« Reply #595 on: June 29, 2013, 11:42:38 PM »
Hey Guys I'm totally new here (as you probably already noticed its only my second post) but I've been lurking for about a year. I've been wanting a WFO for quite a while now but I've been student until recently and never had the funds or space for a WFO (although I'm still pretty broke... haha). I've been following this thread for a while now and when I saw the pizzas people were pumping I figured this was my chance to get my feet wet... So I bought a blackstone, read up on dough making, and this is my first attempt. My crust was a bit dense. I assume there were probably a tons of places I could have gone wrong but do you guys have any suggestions about making you entire crust/dough lighter?

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #596 on: June 29, 2013, 11:53:41 PM »
@skshah- your pizza looks awesome. Most people will need to know your recipe/ingredients/workflow to give meaningful feedback.

Oh and I saw your in SoCal, what part?

Offline skshah

« Reply #597 on: June 30, 2013, 12:15:01 AM »
@skshah- your pizza looks awesome. Most people will need to know your recipe/ingredients/workflow to give meaningful feedback.

Oh and I saw your in SoCal, what part?

Thanks Jeff! I used to live in Pomona when I was in school but I'm in the San Fernando Valley (Northridge) now. How about yourself? In terms of my process...

100% Caputo 00
59% Water
2% Salt
1% Cake Yeast

Hand mixed the dough (don't have a mixer). Once it came together I kneaded it 10 times and placed it in a lightly oiled container. Then let it rise at room temp for 1 hour. After that I let it cold ferment for 3 days in the refrigerator. Today I fired up my blackstone (unfortunately I don't have an IR thermometer yet) and baked it in approximately 110 secs. Through the whole process I tried my best to handle the dough delicately and as little as possible. Are there any red flags in my process? I apologize for the lack of precision/details in my process (just really new at this...) Thanks in advance guys!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #598 on: June 30, 2013, 11:15:26 AM »
Boy, she's a beauty. Have a quick formula for us so I can write this one down sir?   :chef:

I made this using Craig's method.  Without his oven and his skill, it is nowhere near the original.   :-[

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #599 on: June 30, 2013, 11:54:20 AM »
It just started pouring. So much for my first go with the Blackstone.  :(

pizzapan