Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 363896 times)

Offline Jackitup

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #600 on: June 30, 2013, 12:32:08 PM »
It happened to me the other nite and I went under the front eaves of the garage, worked great and stayed dry!!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Online slybarman

« Reply #601 on: June 30, 2013, 01:01:17 PM »
Thanks Jon.  I am in a townhouse and the oven is on a 2nd floor deck so my choices are a bit limited.  There seems to be some gaps in the storms,  so I may get lucky. Last summer I tried launching a pie onto the grill in the rain. I got raindrops on the peel and disaster ensued.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #602 on: June 30, 2013, 01:49:25 PM »
Hey Guys I'm totally new here (as you probably already noticed its only my second post) but I've been lurking for about a year. I've been wanting a WFO for quite a while now but I've been student until recently and never had the funds or space for a WFO (although I'm still pretty broke... haha). I've been following this thread for a while now and when I saw the pizzas people were pumping I figured this was my chance to get my feet wet... So I bought a blackstone, read up on dough making, and this is my first attempt. My crust was a bit dense. I assume there were probably a tons of places I could have gone wrong but do you guys have any suggestions about making you entire crust/dough lighter?

If that's your first try I can't wait to see what you do later on! That pizza is beautiful. Well done SK!

Offline jgerardi

• Learning to make pizza....
« Reply #603 on: June 30, 2013, 03:11:10 PM »
Hey Guys I'm totally new here (as you probably already noticed its only my second post) but I've been lurking for about a year. I've been wanting a WFO for quite a while now but I've been student until recently and never had the funds or space for a WFO (although I'm still pretty broke... haha). I've been following this thread for a while now and when I saw the pizzas people were pumping I figured this was my chance to get my feet wet... So I bought a blackstone, read up on dough making, and this is my first attempt. My crust was a bit dense. I assume there were probably a tons of places I could have gone wrong but do you guys have any suggestions about making you entire crust/dough lighter?

I agree with Tinroofrusted, your first attempt looks great  :chef:  Keep up the good work!
"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." Yogi Berra

Online slybarman

« Reply #604 on: June 30, 2013, 03:21:04 PM »
We got a decent break in the rain - even saw some sun. Pulled the blackstone up to the kitchen door and fired it up. I did three pies with the same NY dough I use for the home oven. I launched the first pie with the bottom stone at 625-650. That pie was a three minute pie. The second two pies I launched at 700-725 and those were 2:30 pies. The crumb was more open that anything I've been able to achieve in the home oven. Launching will take just a bit more practice to get it centered - though I noticed the pies have some tendency to center themselves while cooking (don't ask me how). I noticed the pies tend to pull back a bit more while cooking at higher temps.

Perhaps the best part was no heat in the house. I need to mess with it a bit more to dial it in. Maybe try neapolitan at some point.

If this thing holds up for three seasons, I will call it a real win.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #605 on: June 30, 2013, 03:42:21 PM »
@sly- nice work. The other thing you can do if you launch off center is just move it once the bottom sets up a bit. On a 3 minute I've noticed in can be moved at about the 1 min mark.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #606 on: June 30, 2013, 04:37:09 PM »
Nice job Steve, those are great looking pies dude....bet they tasted just as good too!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #607 on: June 30, 2013, 04:38:38 PM »
Nice pies, SBM!  They look really tasty! 

Online slybarman

« Reply #608 on: June 30, 2013, 05:23:40 PM »
Thanks. They were good. Oven spring was quite good. I am wondering if I need to tweak my dough some for the higher temps - maybe less sugar and oil?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #609 on: June 30, 2013, 06:19:51 PM »
Thanks. They were good. Oven spring was quite good. I am wondering if I need to tweak my dough some for the higher temps - maybe less sugar and oil?
Or none at all and go for NP....you've got the oven for it there looks like.....  :)

Online slybarman

« Reply #610 on: June 30, 2013, 06:22:36 PM »
I will definitely try nepolitan at some point, but for right now, I am sticking with NY, I just wonder if lowering the sugar and oil below 2% is better for the higher temps?

Offline stevehollx

« Reply #611 on: June 30, 2013, 08:19:12 PM »
Well, consider me as part of the demon oven club, too.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #612 on: June 30, 2013, 08:23:11 PM »
ouch!

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #613 on: June 30, 2013, 08:27:58 PM »

Wow that's crazy, and sucks. Yours came from GriddleGuru? We heard how Cabelas handled the situation, now to hear how someone else handles it.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #614 on: June 30, 2013, 08:28:55 PM »
I will definitely try nepolitan at some point, but for right now, I am sticking with NY, I just wonder if lowering the sugar and oil below 2% is better for the higher temps?

I haven't really noticed that the dough needs to be below 2% for these bakes time. I actually bumped my salt to 2.5% on my last pizza and I think I liked the extra kick of salt.

Online slybarman

« Reply #615 on: June 30, 2013, 08:29:40 PM »
Uh yeah,  that sucks. Maybe it's a "feature" - roast  marshmallows while waiting on your pizza?

Online slybarman

« Reply #616 on: June 30, 2013, 08:30:58 PM »
I haven't really noticed that the dough needs to be below 2% for these bakes time. I actually bumped my salt to 2.5% on my last pizza and I think I liked the extra kick of salt.

Ok - thanks.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #617 on: June 30, 2013, 08:42:34 PM »
That is really, really bad news.  If that dial was to pop off during one of these occurrences I would imagine the flame would then shoot straight out. Now imagine a woman in a dress made of that real light weight material or anyone in some fairly flammable material walking past that oven when it goes Demon. Houston...we have a real big problem here.

Offline communist

« Reply #618 on: June 30, 2013, 08:59:30 PM »
Cabela's not restocking.  Another flame throwing Blackstone :o

Offline DocSpine

« Reply #619 on: June 30, 2013, 09:20:51 PM »
Wow Mine is to show up at Cabelas July 5th.  Getting a little worried about the demon oven and broken stone club. :-\ Guess I should check the stone before I leave Cabelas, Is there any visible clues for the flamethrower?

pizzapan