Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 305717 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #760 on: July 05, 2013, 01:15:44 PM »
@Chau - so your pennies were minted before 1982?

Lol.  I don't know Jeffrey.  Hard to see the date on them now.   :-D. I assume after 1982, they are solid copper?   Twas an expensive lesson.  About 6 cents worth.  :-D

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #761 on: July 05, 2013, 01:16:25 PM »
@Tin, nice looking pizzas. Sad that you just barely posted those and they are already buried. Maybe we need just a straight pic thread to stare at  :-D

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #762 on: July 05, 2013, 01:17:34 PM »
Lol.  I don't know Jeffrey.  Hard to see the date on them now.   :-D. I assume after 1982, they are solid copper?   Twas an expensive lesson.  About 6 cents worth.  :-D

No, you used zinc pennies lol. Melting point of 787F. Just use nickels next time.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #763 on: July 05, 2013, 01:31:37 PM »
In your famous words Scott, anyone that can produce a carbon copy of a Craig pie from a BS oven, including dear Craig himself, I will EAT my BS oven.   :-D
I think Craig should be precluded from buying or using a Black Stone unit. As good and gracious a host that Craig is, I can't imagine members from all around the country flying or driving into Houston to attend one of Craig's Summits and gathering around a Black Stone oven in his garage or driveway waiting anxiously for his creations to emerge from the oven ;D.

Peter

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #764 on: July 05, 2013, 01:42:25 PM »
No, you used zinc pennies lol. Melting point of 787F. Just use nickels next time.

Thanks Jeffrey.  I used nickels in my LBE under the stone without any issue so I was a bit surprise to find the pennies had melted.

@Tin, nice looking pizzas. Sad that you just barely posted those and they are already buried. Maybe we need just a straight pic thread to stare at  :-D

I agree on a separate thread just for the pies.  I didn't see the wisdom in it earlier but I do now.

Peter, perhaps there will be a blackstone summit in the near future.  Lol
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 01:44:41 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #765 on: July 05, 2013, 02:18:30 PM »

Peter, perhaps there will be a blackstone summit in the near future.  Lol

The neat part about a BS summit would be people could throw them in their cars and bring them. Can you imagine having 3-4 of them and you could test your different hypotheses at the exact time? Test three different doughs side by side in the same cooking environment? Three different heat shield set ups on the same dough? I think it would be cool at least...

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #766 on: July 05, 2013, 04:42:07 PM »

Thanks Jeff.  Got caught in the crossfire I guess.  I was pretty happy with the progress.  I am hoping to make some more this weekend. Planning on trying this calzone.

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #767 on: July 05, 2013, 04:55:29 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  Got caught in the crossfire I guess.  I was pretty happy with the progress.  I am hoping to make some more this weekend. Planning on trying this calzone.

Regards,

TinRoof
When I read "calzone" I thought boy, 'ol Tin is getting pretty brave. Thanks for linking to that pic of John's calzone...wow! Never seen one look that good and it now makes perfect sense why you are going to try one. Good luck with your higher temp calzone; look forward to seeing it!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #768 on: July 05, 2013, 05:04:15 PM »
When I read "calzone" I thought boy, 'ol Tin is getting pretty brave.

I think a short preheat and low flame will be in order for the calzone.  It will still probably cook in a flash.  C-Bob, did you order a BS oven? 

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #769 on: July 05, 2013, 05:07:31 PM »
I think a short preheat and low flame will be in order for the calzone.  It will still probably cook in a flash.  C-Bob, did you order a BS oven?

What is your plan for the shape of the calzone so it will cook evenly? It seems as if this style really wants a round shape.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #770 on: July 05, 2013, 05:13:12 PM »
What is your plan for the shape of the calzone so it will cook evenly? It seems as if this style really wants a round shape.
Long and thin I guess (but not too long; I don't want to be hitting the side of the oven).  I may get burned ends.  I can't think how I could do it round unless I put one skin on top of another. Kind of like a pie.   

Offline scott123

« Reply #771 on: July 05, 2013, 05:39:03 PM »
Okay, this should be my last post on these two topics  :)

Thermodynamics

In the past, I have been pretty skeptical of gas Ferraras.  I wasn't really seeing what I felt was a world class pie coming out of any of them, and, until I did, I wasn't going to give them my blessing.  While I'm still skeptical that existing gas models can match WFOs at their best, I have seen enough gas oven pies (due, in large part to the fire codes at the expo), that I can comfortably say that I'm okay with the concept of a gas ferrara.  I'm still a tiny bit leery of the number of BTUs these ovens are presently putting out and if it's sufficient enough to do world class pies day in and day out, but, if there is an issue, bigger or multiple burners will put that to rest (there probably isn't, but, still, I've got to see it). I have heard from NP purists who say that these ovens produce a pizza that's 'missing something,'  and I have my own niggling questions about the impact of the water derived from gas combustion, but, I still have a lot of hope for these ovens.

Thermodynamically speaking, there's no aspect of a blackstone that deviates from a gas Ferrara. Not a one. In the manner in which the heat is directed, the BS is a miniature replica of the Ferrara.

If a gas Ferrara can do a Craig style pie, then a BS can as well. It's just a matter of fine tuning.  Up until now, we're using the BS to paint with very broad strokes. There's a lot of nitty gritty waiting to be explored. We haven't scraped the surface as to what it's capable of achieving.

Nudging

I've been accused of being an armchair quarterback in the past, and, this is probably my most heinous transgression. I've never posted a photo of my pizzas here, I've never made Neapolitan dough myself, nor have I ever used a blackstone, but here I am telling Chau (and others) to strive to achieve the seemingly impossible with this unproven device, and if you can't or won't, faintly implying wussiness. I'm being such a jerk, such a horrible quarterback, I'm making Tim Tebow look good :)

In all fairness, though, Chau, you've kind of set a precedent for doing great things. Go ahead and toot your own horn, because you should. You don't have a huge number of NP pies under you belt, but there's nothing novice about you.  I'm specifically pushing your buttons, specifically insufferably goading you, because I see it in you. Up until recent months, you haven't, from what I've seen, been all that obsessive about NP, but it seems like you're catching the bug. You seem pretty amped, and, after the Summit, rightly so. I'm just trying to get you to take this fire (both literally and figuratively ;) ) and reach for something higher- something that I know that you're capable of.

Emulation/cloning can get the occasional bad rap.  I think there are a couple members who perceive it as being unoriginal.  I don't see it that way, at all. I see it as an essential tool for honing skills and expanding pizza making muscles. Every great painter, at some point, has mimicked another- and that mimicry has frequently helped them to further their own voice, their own originality.

There's a lot to be said for forging your own path, but there's also rewards in following the paths of others- and there is no law that say we can't do both. I make what are probably pretty pure 'Scott' pies, but I also throw in the Suvio's (local pizzeria) circa 1982 pie and a Joe's 1992 pizza. I can copy and I can be original- even during the same baking session.

On this forum, cloning has pushed the learning envelope tremendous lengths.  I know people have and will continue to disparage Papa Johns, but Peter's cloning adventures have, to a large extent, built this house. Those travails have laid the foundation for everything that we're currently achieving.

Rather than focusing on the fact that no-one has ever cloned Craig's work and drawing discouragement from it, I think the bigger question is "why the heck hasn't anyone cloned a Craig pie?" If members are going to spend countless hours attempting to clone commercial products where a tremendous amount of guesswork and trial and error is entailed, why shouldn't they try to clone a world class pie where every possible piece of information has been graciously and meticulously provided for them? As much as many of us would like to believe that Craig has superhuman powers, or that an Acunto (or a Ferrara) can make pizzas that no other oven can produce, his skills, over time, can be acquired and the thermodynamic equivalent of an Acunto obtained.

Just to be clear, I'm not telling anyone to 'be' Craig- I'm not pushing anyone into putting a BS in their garage, building a beautiful prep table and getting a chocolate lab and calling it 'coffee,' :) I just think that with all the hours this forum has put into cloning, a truly motivated member or two could, working with Craig, emulate his art.

This forum has many virtuoso pizza makers, and in your last post, you name a few, but what, imo, differentiates Craig from the rest is the extent of his consistency and originality. At this point, I can open up My Pie Monday, see the featured pie and know immediately and without any question that it's Craig's.  There's not a lot of pizza makers that make pies that are that recognizable.  His pies are so incredibly unique, consistent and recognizable, that, as far as I'm concerned, he deserves his own sub style of pizza: Craig style- pure NP, but signature Craig.

Craig is one of the best teachers on the forum. His talents in that area shouldn't just be utilized to make great NP, but to make his great NP pizza. With this much unfettered access to Craig, if there's any sub style of pizza that could be cloned, that should be cloned, it's Craig's. The pieces of the puzzle all exist:  a style worth emulating, a teacher fully capable of teaching it, and equipment capable of producing it.  Someone just has to put the pieces together.  It won't be easy, and the person that achieves it won't be a beginner, but, it can, and will be done.

18 months.  January 5th, 2015 :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 06:12:26 PM by scott123 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #772 on: July 05, 2013, 05:39:43 PM »
Long and thin I guess (but not too long; I don't want to be hitting the side of the oven).  I may get burned ends.  I can't think how I could do it round unless I put one skin on top of another. Kind of like a pie.
I've had calzone from NY style pizzerias and they always just stretch out a regular round pizza skin; place toppings on one side then fold other half round dough over top and crimp...so that's how I always do them(usually from a bad launch of regular pie :D)
Maybe place 2 on the BS stone at one time...that will be round then.  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #773 on: July 05, 2013, 05:40:46 PM »

Ya, using a top and a bottom wont be ideal because then you don't get that great side where it isn't double thick. Maybe if you tried to open the skin into an oval to begin with? It would then come out more like a circle when you fold it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 05:44:57 PM by jeffereynelson »

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #774 on: July 05, 2013, 05:46:43 PM »
Just to update my situation;

Cabella's has offered to replace the oven.  However, they are out of stock and will be that way until October.  Even then, there's no guaruntee in my mind that my oven would arrive intact, simply because of the shoddy packaging.

I have tried contacting Blackstone directly, but have not gotten anyone to answer the phone.

Has anyone had luck contacting blackstone at all?  Have we got any leads for what stones may make adequate replacements here?

I'm hesitant to ship this unit back to Cabelas if they can't send me anything until October. 

Offline scott123

« Reply #775 on: July 05, 2013, 05:54:11 PM »
Has anyone had luck contacting blackstone at all?  Have we got any leads for what stones may make adequate replacements here?

I'm hesitant to ship this unit back to Cabelas if they can't send me anything until October.

DP, if Cabelas is willing to let you return the whole oven (and pay for shipping), then, I'd return it, get your money back, and get one from Griddleguru.  You could wait and see if Blackstone gets back to you, but if you wait too long, GG might sell out.

I feel very strongly that, for authentic 60-90 sec. NP purposes, these stone are irreplaceable.  If, on the other, you're not looking for super fast bakes, then you could probably swap them out with kiln shelves- or contact fibrament and get a custom size.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 05:57:06 PM by scott123 »

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #776 on: July 05, 2013, 05:56:26 PM »
Go for a refund from Cabelas and order one from GriddleGuru. When you order tell them you've already been through the damaged/return mill and would they please double check your box for parts and breakage before they send it out. Then pray for a gentle UPS man. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline communist

« Reply #777 on: July 05, 2013, 06:01:04 PM »
Just to update my situation;

Cabella's has offered to replace the oven.  However, they are out of stock and will be that way until October.  Even then, there's no guaruntee in my mind that my oven would arrive intact, simply because of the shoddy packaging.

I have tried contacting Blackstone directly, but have not gotten anyone to answer the phone.

I was is your exact situation.  One option is to keep the oven.  I did call blackstone and they did offer to send me a new stone.  I ended up returning the unit to Cabela's and ordering one from Blackstone. That has not arrived.  It is cheaper to order thru griddle guru, who is blackstone.  369 free shipping.  Cabela's had tax and shipping which amounted to about 450.  The choice is yours.  One factor may be that Cabela's has excellent customer service.  Blackstone has been pretty good, but I am not sure they will accept full returns.    Mark

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #778 on: July 05, 2013, 06:16:51 PM »

When I called this number, (435) 252-3030, I couldn't get anyone to answer the tech/help or whatever input. I had to choose the sales option to speak to someone.

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #779 on: July 05, 2013, 06:20:01 PM »
Tried calling Griddleguru to speak with a rep and let them know what I've gone through to see if they're willing to package the stones seperately since they're so prone to breaking.  No answer from them either.  Didn't realize they were owned by Blackstone.  It all forwards to the same voicemail system.