Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 348271 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #780 on: July 05, 2013, 06:27:43 PM »
Scott - you are now comparing the thermodynamics of a gas fired Ferrara to the BS.  ;D At least it's not the WF version.  Closer but in my mind still different.  But I'm not going to continue splitting hairs with you.  I've got starter ripening and will do another test bake tomorrow.   ;)

Cloning - I agree with what you say about cloning.  As a matter of fact, I have always been supportive of cloning and have even posted that members can learn a lot from cloning.  I have no disagreement or issues with cloning.  I have used the forum's recipes for Pizza Hut Pan pizza, PJ's, Chicago DD, etc.  I have myself worked on Cloning Patsy's in Sante Fe and Pizzatown's pizza.  Cloning is both fun and educational.

Rather than focusing on the fact that no-one has ever cloned Craig's work and drawing discouragement from it, I think the bigger question is "why the heck hasn't anyone cloned a Craig pie?"

You misunderstand me Scott.  I am not discouraged by that fact that no one has clone Craig's pie.  And it isn't from lack of trying.  Let me assure you that many members have used Craig's methods and tried to clone his pie.  It hasn't been achieved, not b/c others have not tried BUT b/c others have tried and no one has yet done it.  And not b/c it simply can not be done, but you of all people should know that there are literally hundreds of minute variables that come into play when it comes to making great pizza, much less great NP pizza.  Like I've already said, we were at Craig's house with his dough and his oven and the pizzas don't look just like Craig's.  Yes they tasted similar but if you are going for the same leoparded look, then please give that some thought and come up with a rational explanation.   

Because I view NP pizza to be a more difficult style to make properly, I also view NP pizza to be the most difficult to clone.   If it was as easy as cloning Pizza Hut or Papa John's, we would already have seen clones of Da Michele's, Gino Sorbillo's, and the likes.  But guess what?  I haven't seen any of these done yet, including Craig or Omids work.  If anyone has pictures, then post them up.  Even when you have the exact dough recipe and the master at hand to coach you, it isn't an easy task. 

Has anyone here every practice high level martial arts?  Played a musical instrument?  Anyone a painter?  That is what NP pizza is like.  Have you ever tried to emulate one of your masters?  Scott why do you think these teachers get rich teaching?  It's not because students hold them in such high regard and are that loyal.  People are not loyal by nature.  It's b/c the art itself is not so easily cloned. 

I'm not going to put words into Craig's mouth, but I have exchange multiple private messages with Craig asking him questions about his dough in my quest to learn how to make NP pizza.  Even Craig himself has confided in me that his pies aren't always consistent as he would like.  If I have misinterpreted you Craig then I apologize.  But I'm pretty sure I understand what Craig is talking about.  Scott, until you've tried to make NP pizza yourself, you can't understand how difficult it can be to make a good and consistent product like Craig.  And difficult is a huge understatement.   Like I said earlier, I alluded to environmental differences.  The humidity plays a huge role in how flour makes dough.   The techniques use to open a dough affect how it bakes up and looks in the oven.  The specific oven itself and how it is manage all come into play regardless if you think the thermodynamics are reproducible or not.  When to turn the pie and pull it out makes a difference.  How much sauce, cheese, ingredients makes a difference.   I told Craig this very same thing at the summit.  I said Craig, your pie is very balance.  You see, if someone doesn't open your dough enough or like me and opens it up too much, it changes the pie!   If you want to Clone Craig's pizza it isn't going to be easy as 123.  Eventually?  Well yes...someday....maybe. 

If you want to see great NP pies from the blackstone, we are not that far off.  You won't have to wait 18 months.  If you want to see a mirror image of a Craig pie or an indentical twin....well good luck.  We were having trouble using his dough and his oven, I'm not sure why you think it is doable in a BS.  You have more faith than I. 

Chau

« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 06:34:01 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #781 on: July 05, 2013, 06:41:52 PM »
And I agree Scott, let's not be discouraged but let's make this challenge more fun shall we? 

To the first person who can make a carbon copy/ clone / idenitcal twin of Craig's Pie using his method and bake it in a Blackstone oven,  I will personally write you a check for the amount that you paid for your BS oven.  There you have it folks.  A free BS oven to the first member who can make a pie that looks identical to Craig's NP pizza (cooked in a BS). 

And the pie will be judged by Craig himself, myself, and Scott123.  And it better be convincing.  I'm not talking about a good lookin NP or a decent looking pie here.  I'm talking about a Craig clone.  This challenge is open to all members who have access to a BS oven.  And you have 18 months to accomplish this.  If I myself personally achieve this before that time limit, then I will write myself the check and the challenge is off.   Sound good Scott?  ;D

Good luck boys.
Chau
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 07:02:20 PM by Jackie Tran »

scott123

« Reply #782 on: July 05, 2013, 06:46:31 PM »
Like I've already said, we were at Craig's house with his dough and his oven and the pizzas don't look just like Craig's.

I was going to mention this before, but since my post was getting really long, I omitted it, but some of the pies the guests made were perfect representations of Craig style pizza:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26074.msg263415.html#msg263415

You take this squash pie and put it up on Slice, and everyone would immediately assume it's Craig's.

Same for Omid's:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26074.msg263147.html#msg263147

For that matter, yours was a Craig style pie:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26074.msg263412.html#msg263412

I don't know what you're talking about, Chau  ;D

scott123

« Reply #783 on: July 05, 2013, 06:48:04 PM »
Sound good Scott?  ;D

Let the games begin!!!

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #784 on: July 05, 2013, 06:51:32 PM »
Well, the UPS guy arrived around 5. I ran out and assisted him taking it off the truck, and he wheeled right into the living room for me.

The the wife said, "Let's go to dinner, because if I let you open it, there won't be any dinner tonight."

Ate a fast dinner, and opened it up. Put me in the group that had NO problems, not even a scratch. Stones were perfect.

Now that said, I ordered from GriddleGuru (Blackstone). Maybe they've been reading the forum. The stones were packed one on top of another, neither boxed, but taped down, with big wedges of styrofoam wedging them in place and keeping them there.

I'll give you guys some time, and will take some pictures if anyone wants before I finish assembling it.

Tom

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #785 on: July 05, 2013, 06:57:27 PM »
Apparently Cabelas can't make the arrangements for return shipping for me.  They will reimburse me for what I paid, plus the cost of UPS ground shipping, but I have to repackage it, pay for shipping, and call cabelas with a tracking number and receipt.  I guess its an Alaska thing.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #786 on: July 05, 2013, 06:58:31 PM »
I don't know what you're talking about, Chau  ;D

Sorry, not identical, although Bill's is close.  ;D  The challenge still stands.  I want members to know that this challenge superscedes me eating my BS oven.  A feat more difficult than cloning a Craig pie.   :-D

« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 07:00:49 PM by Jackie Tran »

scott123

« Reply #787 on: July 05, 2013, 07:05:10 PM »
Something tells me you're going to be a difficult judge to please, Chau.

Anyway, I felt this was momentous enough to deserve it's own thread

The Blackstone Challenge

And we're off  :-D

scott123

« Reply #788 on: July 05, 2013, 07:07:04 PM »
Oh, and how about Bill's pie without the puffy area?  Would that qualify?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #789 on: July 05, 2013, 07:31:28 PM »
Let the games begin!!!
And count Bob in!! Ordering tonight.  ;)
Dats rite...and if some folks think I post too much now....better hang on to your hats friends cause it's time to throw down clown!  8) 

Now... would some nice soul mind teaching me how to make some dough?  :-D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #790 on: July 05, 2013, 07:35:20 PM »
Oh, and how about Bill's pie without the puffy area?  Would that qualify?

Scott I just confirmed that Bill is in fact Craig's biological twin so he is automatically disqualified.   :-D ok kidding aside.  Without the puffy area and take away the vegetables.   ;D.  Yes in pictures it is close.  In person I don't recall thinking anyone's pies being a Craig pie.  And yes I'm a tough judge.  ;D

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #791 on: July 05, 2013, 07:38:58 PM »
Congrats Bob.  We are all here to help.   Fun aside, I made another mod today.  I beefed up the heat shield by bolting on a piece of sheet metal.  After 6-7 high temp bakes I noticed the heat shield was beginning to flake.  When this new one burns through itcan easily be replaced.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #792 on: July 05, 2013, 07:50:25 PM »
Scott I just confirmed that Bill is in fact Craig's biological twin so he is automatically disqualified.   :-D ok kidding aside.  Without the puffy area and take away the vegetables.   ;D.  Yes in pictures it is close.  In person I don't recall thinking anyone's pies being a Craig pie.  And yes I'm a tough judge.  ;D

Why not put a picture of a margherita up of Craig's so people know the standard. (also maybe see what craig thinks about this lol)

Offline DocSpine

« Reply #793 on: July 05, 2013, 07:52:04 PM »
First bake, I need a ir therm to do this and a little more patience, I did not let the stone get hot enough, Plus made too big of a pie. But so far I think this is going to be fun! ;D
No danger of me winning the clone bet.
But soon to be fattest member contest winner is a sure thing  :P

Pics soon

no flamethrower no broken stones  :D

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #794 on: July 05, 2013, 08:00:14 PM »
Chau - thx for the picture of your heat shield - looks good to me (easy replace, little air space between the two, etc.).

Also, thanks for the picture of your heat deflector.  I never imagined that an overhead deflector could char the rim as much as that one seems to have done.  I achieved that kind of over-char, but with the heat deflector at stone height.  I'll have to look back at that picture of the first pie.  Is there any chance that the deflector created a bit of back pressure causing the flame heat to divert near stone level (like mine)?

Dave
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 08:08:45 PM by Tampa »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #795 on: July 05, 2013, 08:22:15 PM »
Another mod today.  I also noticed that the bar holding up the heat shield was beginning to warp so I fashioned a protective covering for it with a pair of pliers and finoshed shaping it by hand.  Everything sems to fit and work normally.

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #796 on: July 05, 2013, 08:24:28 PM »
I wanted to get a few more bakes with it first but since I took photos of it this morning,  I'll go ahead and post them.

What would you estimate the dimensions at?  Do you just have it held in place by the weight of the top stone?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #797 on: July 05, 2013, 08:31:56 PM »
Another mod today.  I also noticed that the bar holding up the heat shield was beginning to warp so I fashioned a protective covering for it with a pair of pliers and finoshed shaping it by hand.  Everything sems to fit and work normally.
Good work Chau, thanks.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Tubaguy63

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #798 on: July 05, 2013, 11:22:32 PM »
Just placed my order. I'm pumped.

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #799 on: July 05, 2013, 11:34:20 PM »
Took the item back to the UPS store to ship to Cabela's. 

I had to pay for the shipping because of some policy Cabela's has with shipping to and from Alaska.  Once I give Cabela's the shipping information and tracking number they should reimburse me shipping, which is good because it cost $119 to ship out.  And seeing how the girl at the front handled the box I can totally see how these stones end up broken. 

In any case, I'll reorder from grill gurus, but I'm waiting until I can speak to someone by phone I think so I can see if they're willing to package the stones separately due to the rough luck these things have during shipping.

Pete

pizzapan