Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 327151 times)

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #820 on: July 07, 2013, 03:22:48 PM »
@rkrider- Thanks for sharing your pics even though they weren't up to your standard of perfect. You're the first person to post chicago thin I believe. They still look good. Only thing that was strange was the pie where the heat was so uneven.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #821 on: July 07, 2013, 03:37:42 PM »
I am guessing it was not centered on the stone?

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #822 on: July 07, 2013, 03:39:52 PM »

Ya could be. If that is the case it's pretty easy to just hit with the peel real quick and center it.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #823 on: July 07, 2013, 07:42:18 PM »
I never got to make my calzone on Saturday so today I fired up the Blackstone and cooked it.  One really nice feature of the Blackstone is the very rapid preheat time.  It just takes maybe 10 minutes unless you really want the oven blazing.  I didn't because I knew the calzone was going to take a while to cook. It ended up baking for 8.5 minutes. I put some foil over the top after about 4 minutes to try to keep the top from burning. It did burn a bit anyway. But the dough got well cooked throughout. it would have taken probably close to 15 minutes in my home oven.  I didn't get a good shot of the interior but it came out pretty good.  Then I quickly dressed the other two remaining dough balls and made a tomato pie as well as a cheese.  I had a little problem with reballing the dough this morning which resulted in that gaping hole in the tomato pie. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #824 on: July 07, 2013, 07:52:14 PM »
Nicely done. I think this example reinforces the idea that a deflector like Chaus will benefit here. So much more heat hitting the middle then the ends that closer to the fire. I do know that the middle being higher plays a role, but it is still a little too imbalanced.

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #825 on: July 07, 2013, 09:51:55 PM »
@rkrider- Thanks for sharing your pics even though they weren't up to your standard of perfect. You're the first person to post chicago thin I believe. They still look good. Only thing that was strange was the pie where the heat was so uneven.

I centered it on the stone pretty well. Before putting the pizza on the stone,  I was trying to get some reliable benchmarks, like what temp the pizza stone was actually at. Holding the IR gun at a steady spot on the stone as it rotated, the temp fluctuated from 530-590. Not sure why. Maybe the rotating disk under the stone isn't uniform and transferring the same amount of heat to the stone. Possibly the stone isn't uniform and isn't picking up the heat from the flame.

Could have been a couple of other things. I don't have a sheeter, so I roll it out by hand, and I am not the best at making sure it's all that uniform. I'm thinking the thinner sides got done a little faster than the thicker sides. Actually gives me a chance to see what the difference a 64th of an inch will make on the dough when cooking.

Another observation, while the first 2" of crust was cracker like, as it moved toward the center, it became very soft and almost gummy. It was cooked, and I didn't detect any raw taste to the dough, I would have liked it to be cooked more in the middle, which would have led to the outside being more burned than it was.

I do use a bit of sugar in the dough, and I'll probably try it without any sugar in future tries. I'm also thinking may be trying the perforated pan that I've always used in the oven. Sort of lifts the edge of the pizza a half inch off the stone. Let the middle cook first.

Where does everyone have their rotating disk set at? Mine was laying on the front ledge when I received it, where it wouldn't spin, so I moved it up so it was about a 1/4 inch above the ledge, where it would spin freely. In some of the pictures on other setups, it looks like i could put it up to more like a 1/2" or higher.

So much to try, and so little time...

Tom

Offline DocSpine

« Reply #826 on: July 07, 2013, 10:23:59 PM »
Would changing the speed of rotation help? A faster rotation "should" even out the pies. ???

Fed my whole cul-de-sac this afternoon, many happy neo eaters ;D

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #827 on: July 07, 2013, 10:36:19 PM »
I centered it on the stone pretty well. Before putting the pizza on the stone,  I was trying to get some reliable benchmarks, like what temp the pizza stone was actually at. Holding the IR gun at a steady spot on the stone as it rotated, the temp fluctuated from 530-590. Not sure why. Maybe the rotating disk under the stone isn't uniform and transferring the same amount of heat to the stone. Possibly the stone isn't uniform and isn't picking up the heat from the flame.

Could have been a couple of other things. I don't have a sheeter, so I roll it out by hand, and I am not the best at making sure it's all that uniform. I'm thinking the thinner sides got done a little faster than the thicker sides. Actually gives me a chance to see what the difference a 64th of an inch will make on the dough when cooking.

Another observation, while the first 2" of crust was cracker like, as it moved toward the center, it became very soft and almost gummy. It was cooked, and I didn't detect any raw taste to the dough, I would have liked it to be cooked more in the middle, which would have led to the outside being more burned than it was.

I do use a bit of sugar in the dough, and I'll probably try it without any sugar in future tries. I'm also thinking may be trying the perforated pan that I've always used in the oven. Sort of lifts the edge of the pizza a half inch off the stone. Let the middle cook first.

Where does everyone have their rotating disk set at? Mine was laying on the front ledge when I received it, where it wouldn't spin, so I moved it up so it was about a 1/4 inch above the ledge, where it would spin freely. In some of the pictures on other setups, it looks like i could put it up to more like a 1/2" or higher.

So much to try, and so little time...

Tom

A couple thing, firstly I don't think anyone on this forum uses a sheeter. I've never really seen sheeters in a home environment.

As far as the setup, I have mine at about 1 inch clearance above the ledge. Almost as high as it will go while still being connected to the bolt that spins it.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #828 on: July 07, 2013, 11:14:17 PM »
Would changing the speed of rotation help? A faster rotation "should" even out the pies. ???

Fed my whole cul-de-sac this afternoon, many happy neo eaters ;D
Doc, that is an excellent thought and will probably be an upcoming mod.  ;)
Your afternoon treat today for your neighbors sounds like it was probably a lot of fun....you a "good neighbor Sam" .  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #829 on: July 08, 2013, 06:48:56 AM »
Re-ordered from Gridle-Curu tonight.  Had to ship my Cabela's oven back (199.19 for the delievery), Hopefully the griddle gutu is packaged up better.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #830 on: July 08, 2013, 11:04:43 AM »
RK - I think the factory recommendation is 3/4" - 1" gap between the stone support tray and the lower front ledge.

Re uneven char, I don't think it is the oven.  Looking at the photo's closely, it seems that the char follows the cheese outline, meaning the greater the exposure of dough, the more char - that is typical.  Uneven sauce or oil may also alter the charring.  Maybe I'm missing something.

If it were the rotisserie/stone/oven setup causing uneven charring, it would be the first time I've seen it (and I've been going around and around for years now  ;D).  What you might see is a temperature gradient between the center of the stone and the outer rim, but like an old-style grooved record, the temperatures inside the grove should be fairly constant.

If you still suspect the setup, maybe you have one of Chau's pennies (or something else) under the stone, a warped base (rotisserie turned off during warm up), or something causing a air gap in some locations under the stone.  I doubt it, but if you want to check, remove the stone and run you hand over the steel tray surface or put a straight edge across various areas of the steel surface and/or the underside of the stone surface.  I'm really reaching with these suggestions because I've never seen a stone that has non-uniform bake properties.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #831 on: July 08, 2013, 11:13:29 AM »
A couple thing, firstly I don't think anyone on this forum uses a sheeter. I've never really seen sheeters in a home environment.

As far as the setup, I have mine at about 1 inch clearance above the ledge. Almost as high as it will go while still being connected to the bolt that spins it.
I believe the only problem with RK's blackened bake was probably just his dough. He said the pizza was a Chicago thin cracker...first reported one on the BS here and it is going to take a little dough tweaking to get a proper cracker off of the BS stone that's all.  :chef:

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #832 on: July 08, 2013, 11:57:35 AM »
FWIW, a friend of mine purchased a Blackstone from Griddle Guru on my recommendation.  He too has a "demon oven" which was made manifest on his second outing with it.  So that's three by my count? 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #833 on: July 08, 2013, 12:11:09 PM »
I've been looking into this problem and tend to believe it is not a problem that immediately requires returning the unit. This is actually a pretty common problem.

" The condition you have is called "flashback."

The gas comes out a small hole called a burner orifice, and is "squirted" inside the burner where it mixes with primary air for combustion. The gas/air mixture should then flow through the burner ports where it should burn on top of the burners.

The gas doesn't burn at the burner orifice or inside the burners because the speed of the burning gas is limited and too fast for the flame to flash back inside the burners.

So the gas speed is slower than it should be, allowing that flashback condition to exist.

Check to see if the burners are properly held in place at the burner orifice. The burners could be plugged or obstructed.

Spider webs inside burners or orifices is the number one cause of low burner flames at the burners or not gas to the burner (s)"

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/gas-kitchen-appliances-dryers-bbqs/432351-gas-grill-fire.html#ixzz2YTGVwPOS

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 12:12:42 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline communist

« Reply #834 on: July 08, 2013, 01:15:12 PM »
Thanks for the input Bob.  I think you are on to something here.  I wonder if we are dealing with a poor quality burner here.  It looked really cheap to me - but of course most new mass produced products seem like junk to me.   Mark

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #835 on: July 08, 2013, 01:23:25 PM »
Thanks for the input Bob.  I think you are on to something here.  I wonder if we are dealing with a poor quality burner here.  It looked really cheap to me - but of course most new mass produced products seem like junk to me.   Mark
The burner valve is probably a common el cheapo; but that burner itself is a normal cast iron burner and will outlast the grill...especially with no food drippings coming down on it.

Something to bear in mind....this type of burner uses an adjustable vent at the venturi(usually butterfly shaped) with a screen(to keep out bugs)attached to it. This is the part I have been asking for pics of(but apparently is sealed).
Possibly with these rough shipments the venturi vent is sliding out of optimum setting. Again; these are normally adjustable, therfore I find it odd that folks have said you can't get at this important element of the grill. Surely one must be able to replace a worn out adjusting valve...remove that and you will see the venturi vent.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 01:33:28 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #836 on: July 08, 2013, 01:39:16 PM »
Good add C.Bob.

Here are a few pictures for those wondering.  The first is the standard turkey fryer burner that we have.  The second is the elbow version of the orifice.  I'm not sure if the BS is elbow or straight, but that pic shows the orifice at the small end.

The problem is that the hardware isn't accessible, and having open flame outside the grill isn't a good idea.  I'm sure it would void the warranty if, in order to gain access, one drilled out the rivets, removed the front stainless panel, and gained access to the box that houses the burner/orifice - although motivated people might phone and seek permission from customer support first.  This is just idle speculation, but there may be a few forum members that work a drill better than a phone.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #837 on: July 08, 2013, 01:55:48 PM »
More...                        http://www.tejassmokers.com/castironburners.htm
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 01:57:57 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline PaulP

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #838 on: July 08, 2013, 02:36:26 PM »
This makes me want to buy this oven. How difficult was the mod? (for those of us that are not particularly handy...)

Also, how has the oven been at recovering and baking multiple pies? Consistent?

Total beginner chiming in........  Since getting my unit, I've eclipsed 30 pies in a little under two weeks.  I've done up to 10 NP-style pies at a time and have found heat recovery to be a non-issue for me.  Immediately after pulling a pie, I turn the burner down and begin building my next pizza.  If I don't do this, the stones will continue to heat and become too hot for the next pizza in the short time that it takes me to sauce and top my next.  When baking a lot of pies at once, I found that the stone can accumulate some charred flour from the underside of prior pizzas so I just make sure to keep the stone clean and that I'm using a minimum of "lube" so pizzas 8 - 10 don't pick up some funky flavors in the crust.

This oven is making me look a lot better than what I am.   Before ordering the BS, I never created my own dough or baked a NP-style pizza--a total noob to the process.  Since delivery, I grabbed a dough recipe (not a true NP) and have been able to crank out 30+ pies that pretty much look like everyone else's in this thread.  My family and guests have been raving about the pizza, and that's honestly where the rubber meets the road for me.  I'm pretty elated with the results that I've gotten for what little time and effort that I had to invest.

Paul

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #839 on: July 08, 2013, 03:12:10 PM »
Thx for the better picture, C.Bob.

30 pies in a little under two weeks
Thx for sharing, but this post should be signed with an Oink.  Paul, I'm not sure how long it takes you to get another pie ready but what stone temperature are you trying to hit when you launch a pie?  You mentioned that you were new, so I have a tip.  Teach your wife/SO to make the pies so you can focus on the oven and the beer.

Dave

pizzapan