Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 312044 times)

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #840 on: July 08, 2013, 03:31:30 PM »
Broke down and ordered mine today. Even though I recently completed the pizza oven insert for my Hasty-Bake charcoal grill and was getting great pies with good temps and heat management, one-hour warm-ups and 10 lbs. of lump charcoal every time I wanted a couple pies was getting old real fast. During our pizza party on the 4th, with quite a few more pies, all the raising and lowering of the firebox to control the temps and shoveling in more lump, I felt like I was working the coal car on a steam locomotive!

Also, since I'm in the Chicago metro area I'll be looking for some ideas for cold weather mods for this baby too!

BTW, there really should be explicit warnings about forums like this. All I ever wanted was better tasting pizza and now I bought a new oven. All I ever wanted was better tasting coffee and now I own a coffee bean roaster. What next?

Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #841 on: July 08, 2013, 03:37:40 PM »
Your post gave me a good laugh Jim.  If you get a non damaged functional unit, you will love this oven.. about 10-15m warm ups and you can make several different styles of pies in it.  Good luck.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #842 on: July 08, 2013, 04:45:13 PM »
@PaulP- those are some fancy words about amazing pizza and people loving it and all without some photographic proof!

@Jim- Congrats- This oven is just too easy to work. As I mentioned to someone earlier in this massive thread, I think the main deciding factor between this oven and a WFO is how many pizzas you are planning on making in a batch. If you're like me and just want one for a quick lunch, then this is the only way to go. If you have some extra $, tons of family and friends, and do parties and the like at your house, then go for the WFO.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #843 on: July 08, 2013, 05:06:15 PM »
All I ever wanted was better tasting pizza and now I bought a new oven. All I ever wanted was better tasting coffee and now I own a coffee bean roaster. What next?

All I can say is to stay out of the exotic sports car forums. 

Seriously, way to go Jim. As Chau said, if you get a working model, you will find it more than worth the price.  The pizzas you bake in this thing will totally eclipse your home oven. Don't know about your Hasty-Bake grill but that does sound like a lot of work.  Once you get the BS oven put together and do a few test runs to get the hang of it, it's really easy and fun to use.  My biggest problem is what to do with all of the pizzas I've been making.  DocSpine said he fed his whole street and I'm starting to think I could do the same thing!

Enjoy your new toy and post some photos when you get it going! 

Offline PaulP

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #844 on: July 08, 2013, 05:08:32 PM »
Dave, I think that I was lucky to get 4 out of all those pizzas!  People were always eating them as fast as I could crank them out.  I would guess that it takes me approximately 3-4 minutes to get a new one on a peel and headed back to the BS.  I'd shoot for a target temp on the lower stone of around 820 - 850ish, depending where I temp'd it.  I haven't temp'd the top stone.

Jim.......boy can I ever relate.  All I wanted was better coffee too, and now I'm sitting with a Behmor roaster and every coffee brewing apparatus known to man.  Heck, Sweet Maria's sends me Christmas cards.  I came to this forum a few weeks ago maybe to get a little pizza wisdom, and now look at me...a zillion pies and a new oven later....

I'll have to pull a pic or two off my phone, Jeff.  There never was much time for pics once the feeding frenzy started--just keep shoveling!

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #845 on: July 08, 2013, 05:36:33 PM »
RK - I think the factory recommendation is 3/4" - 1" gap between the stone support tray and the lower front ledge.

Re uneven char, I don't think it is the oven.  Looking at the photo's closely, it seems that the char follows the cheese outline, meaning the greater the exposure of dough, the more char - that is typical.  Uneven sauce or oil may also alter the charring.  Maybe I'm missing something.

If it were the rotisserie/stone/oven setup causing uneven charring, it would be the first time I've seen it (and I've been going around and around for years now  ;D).  What you might see is a temperature gradient between the center of the stone and the outer rim, but like an old-style grooved record, the temperatures inside the grove should be fairly constant.

If you still suspect the setup, maybe you have one of Chau's pennies (or something else) under the stone, a warped base (rotisserie turned off during warm up), or something causing a air gap in some locations under the stone.  I doubt it, but if you want to check, remove the stone and run you hand over the steel tray surface or put a straight edge across various areas of the steel surface and/or the underside of the stone surface.  I'm really reaching with these suggestions because I've never seen a stone that has non-uniform bake properties.

Ok, that's fix #1. When I received the oven the tray was laying on the ledge. I had to reset the bushing, and I set the tray about 1/4" above the ledge.

I'll have to be more careful when making my pies. I'm sort of a rustic, lazy type pie maker. I really don't care if I have extra crust on one side, and no crust on the other..I'll have to tighten up my standards. :-[

The temp difference wasn't from the rim to the center. I wanted to see how accurate the temp was at a given point on the stone as it rotated. I chose a spot approximately 2" from the rim, and kept the gun propped up against a chair so it wouldn't move. As the stone rotated, the temp did go from 530-590, 2" from the rim. Maybe a better way to check if it's the tray or the stone is to take the stone out, and measure the temp 2" from the lip of the tray as it rotates. If it's pretty constant, then I would suspect the stone. Maybe the stones density is not consistent.

Warped tray...I do notice a slight deviation in tray movement as it rotates. I wouldn't say it's much, maybe a 1/16" of an inch. I'll look at it a little more.

I believe the only problem with RK's blackened bake was probably just his dough. He said the pizza was a Chicago thin cracker...first reported one on the BS here and it is going to take a little dough tweaking to get a proper cracker off of the BS stone that's all.  :chef:

What's wrong with Blackened pizza??? I like Blackened steaks and fish.

Other than the suggestions, that I will investigate above, I think CB is right on. ^^^. Practice and patience, and modifying the dough recipe for the BS.

Thanks for the suggestions..

Tom

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #846 on: July 08, 2013, 06:00:52 PM »
RKRider99 wrote:
What's wrong with Blackened pizza??? I like Blackened steaks and fish.

Good point.  As Brian Spangler said :

Nobody likes char anymore. What the hell happened in the pizza world? I grew up with pizzas that had a nice char and now we have to beg for it? Even if I ask another pizzeria to bake "extra crispy/dark" it is lighter than the pizzas that I make. I know some of you like the GBD (golden, brown, delicious) pizza, but I find them lacking on many levels.

One thing about this BS oven: it's easy to get char.  In fact, the BS oven perhaps tends to deliver more char than most people would like. I like char myself, so I'm pretty happy so far.  But you do have to work to keep it in check, especially if your audience isn't expecting it.  It's easy to overdo it, especially on the bottom.  The air gap delivered by a few nuts or washers or S rings seems to tame the bottom char just about right. 

Yours in char,

TinRoof

Offline lennyk

« Reply #847 on: July 08, 2013, 06:25:45 PM »
Have you guys confirmed that the BS uses a cordierite stone ?
I find it hard to believe that you guys can get it up to 700f+ so fast ?

I use a cordierite from Axner in a similar oven I made a while back and it takes at least 25-30mins with the burner blazing to get up to those temps as it is a slow heating stone.

Offline lennyk

« Reply #848 on: July 08, 2013, 06:32:09 PM »
btw, does this oven throw out a lot of heat all around it as it has a big opening as well as being non-insulated ?

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #849 on: July 08, 2013, 06:40:27 PM »
btw, does this oven throw out a lot of heat all around it as it has a big opening as well as being non-insulated ?

I'm not sure about the material of the stone, but yes it does throw some decent heat out of the front. If you hold your hand over the front and up where the air is going out, that is some hot air. The entire dome covering the unit also gets into the 300's.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #850 on: July 08, 2013, 06:50:31 PM »
I'll be curious to see how well the oven holds temp in the winter.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 07:04:34 PM by slybarman »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #851 on: July 08, 2013, 06:58:17 PM »
From Scott on page 23...

According to my calculations, the density is .056 lb/inch^3. I don't have the specs for fibrament, but cordierite runs in the .09 range, so I think it's safe to assume that this isn't cordierite.

Strictly speaking, it can't be a pure Fibrament analog without the reinforcing fibers, but it's definitely cast cement rather than kiln fired cordierite. This is basically the same material as the cheap walmart stones, just thicker.  I might recommend eventually replacing it with cordierite, if it weren't for the fact that the low density/low conductivity is an important part of maintaining the proper heat balance, so, when the stone goes, it will need to be replaced with either same stone or something equally as light/fragile.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline DocSpine

« Reply #852 on: July 08, 2013, 08:00:01 PM »
http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t586/firstspine/pizza_zpsbdb6e473.jpg
feed the neighborhood pie:
dough: half a Sams club frozen ball
sauce: Walmart 6n1 clone $1.00 can
Cheese: prov/moz/ched

pic of MEAT (sausage) lover

1:45 pie
no clue how to get pic to show sorry

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #853 on: July 08, 2013, 08:11:02 PM »
1:45 pie
no clue how to get pic to show sorry

Here is DocSpine's photo:

Offline DocSpine

« Reply #854 on: July 08, 2013, 08:12:38 PM »
Thank you!

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #855 on: July 08, 2013, 08:16:07 PM »
Nice job Doc. That looks like a proper NY elite pizza.  You were generous with the sausage.   :drool:  Making me hungry.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #856 on: July 08, 2013, 09:04:32 PM »
Paul's favorable review pushed me over the edge, but I went to griddleguru and they show it out of stock. 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #857 on: July 08, 2013, 09:17:08 PM »
You guys shouldn't wait so long.  ;)

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #858 on: July 08, 2013, 09:19:49 PM »
but I went to griddleguru and they show it out of stock.

Well it looks like I just slipped in before the door closed today, although my order is still listed as "processing". Hopefully I don't get the dreaded "our inventory count was off" email. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline Jeep Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #859 on: July 08, 2013, 09:28:37 PM »
I got an email saying mine was on the truck with a tracking number. :D Showing a Friday delivery. I can't wait till it gets here.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 09:39:56 PM by Jeep Pizza »
Time is money, money is power, power is pizza and pizza is knowledge.

pizzapan