Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 305580 times)

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 01:06:13 PM »
Videos:

I would be discouraged if I bought this oven and it produced the pizza shown in the video. While it would probably be fairly easy to modify as mmmph suggests, you'd think that for almost $500 you wouldn't have to!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline Everlast

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 01:20:40 PM »
From a review of the oven by G. Bracken on Amazon:

"CONS: I received one of the first patio ovens Blackstone produced, I didn't know the rotating stone (battery powered) needed to be ON while the flame was on and ended up melting the steel pizza stone base a bit...creating a lopsided base...Blackstone quickly replaced this base however, and I believe future stoves will include a very obvious warning stating that the rotator must be enabled BEFORE firing up the oven..."

I wonder if this oven can handle higher BTU's without other upgrades such as replacing the steel pizza stone base?

Offline slybarman

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 02:09:27 PM »
Doesnt sound very promising.

Offline JRo

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 03:41:43 PM »
Maybe I'm a sucker, but I bought one yesterday.  Figure for only $360, if it works at all better than my home oven it's a cheap upgrade.  Thermometer on the front goes to 800F, hope it'll get close.

Probably wont get a chance to really try it out until next weekend.  Maybe pizza for Fathers Day?

Offline JRo

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 04:08:39 PM »
Ok, no dough to cook yet, but the initial fire looks promising.  The burner seems like it rages plenty.  In less than 5 minutes, the stone was at 680+ and the dome was around 850+.  I let it burn for a bit and shut it down.  Looks like there is enough adjustability to dial that up or down.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 04:15:21 PM by JRo »

Offline slybarman

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 04:44:10 PM »
Thanks for that. What is the diameter of the lower stone?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
Jro.  Please take the temps higher.  I want to see what the max temp is.  See if you hit 850f in the center of the stone, then check the dome temps.

Are the stones replaceable/interchangeable?  Also where did you find one for $360?  They are listed on Amazon for $500.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 05:16:09 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline dsissitka

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2013, 05:19:36 PM »
Also where did you find one for $360?

It's currently on sale for $369.99 at GriddleGuru:

http://griddleguru.com/blackstone-patio-pizza-oven.html

Offline JRo

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2013, 09:17:28 PM »
The bottom stone is 16.5" in diameter and is about 1/2" thick.  The upper stone is basically the same stone with the front edge cut off.  I don't see any reason why you couldn't replace either of them with a different/thicker stone.  Hopefully it won't break the first time a spot of sauce lands on it.

I got it at Cabelas for $379.  They had a 0 interest/ 0 payment deal for 12 months if you put it on a Cabelas card, and got $20 in "points" for signing up.  :)

Will fire it again later/tomorrow.  Looking for a suitable cover for it before it moves out of the garage and onto the patio.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2013, 09:30:52 PM »
The bottom stone is 16.5" in diameter and is about 1/2" thick.  The upper stone is basically the same stone with the front edge cut off.  I don't see any reason why you couldn't replace either of them with a different/thicker stone.  Hopefully it won't break the first time a spot of sauce lands on it.

I got it at Cabelas for $379.  They had a 0 interest/ 0 payment deal for 12 months if you put it on a Cabelas card, and got $20 in "points" for signing up.  :)

Will fire it again later/tomorrow.  Looking for a suitable cover for it before it moves out of the garage and onto the patio.

Thanks.

Online scott123

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2013, 11:30:02 PM »
Jro, while I'm happy that you took the plunge and are trying this out, I think we have a long way to go before this becomes viable for the members for the forum- at least viable from a perspective of matching up with what a 2stone can do.

There's the obvious similarities (I really can't believe how non-litigious Willard is), but, there also seems to be some differences.  It's been a while and my memory is both hazy, and, over the years, my eye has gotten more discerning when it comes to detecting Neapolitan traits, so I can't say with absolutely certainty that a 2stone can do 60-90 second bakes with Neapolitan dough, but, if it can, it only just can.  Any deviations from the 2stone model will very likely move it's capabilities outside of that realm.  Potential deviations include.

1. Hearth material.

Fibrament's low conductivity is critical to the 2stone thermodynamics.   Since a Fibrament stone, even wholesale, is most likely not less than $50, I highly doubt they'd be be using $100 worth of Fibrament stones in a device that retails for less than $400. 

As soon as you get into a cordierite stone, the bottom will brown far faster. If you end up, because of the conductivity of the fibrament, having to dial down the hearth to 750-ish temps to hit 60-90 second bakes, then that means that you'll only hit 900ish for the ceiling and that probably won't cut it.

Now, you can always swap out the stone for fibrament, and/or possibly add some deflection by added spaces (washers) between the steel and stone, but the stone material is something to be aware of.

2. Flame position.

Willard keeps playing with the 2stone configuration, so I'm not exactly sure where the flame is in regard to the stone, but the photo of the blackstone shows the hottest (bluest) part of the flame directly under the stone. This could easily translate into an extremely unevenly heated stone.

Jro, next time you pre-heat this, could you take readings from the center and edge of the stone?

3. Deflection.

Again, this is another instance of not knowing exactly where the 2stone is presently, but I believe Willard has a steel sheet between the bottom/side of the stone and the flame, forcing more heat to the ceiling.

The price is excellent and, on outward appearance, this seems pretty 2stone-ish, but, at the same time, there's a lot less expensive methods to do NY style bakes, so the only way this becomes an amazing deal is if it can do NP, and we're a ways away from confirming that.

Offline JRo

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 12:36:51 AM »
Took a few more pictures, but it was before I read Scott's reply.

Took about 8 minutes to get the stone up to 850-ish.  The pic I have shows the temp in the center of the stone, but checking the edge of the stone away from the flame was maybe 830-ish, and not significantly hotter directly over the flame.  The stone is rotating, so it seems like its pretty even.

The deflector on the side seems to deflect the flame up the side, where it kind of licks along the roof.  I'd say about 30% of the flame hits the stone and 60% or so goes up the side.  It is quite a convection current coming out the front.  My pic shows a dome temp of 960-ish.  But my thermometer maxes out at 1000, and it was flirting in and out of that.

I'm not sure it really "maxed out" at 850, I backed it off a bit and it maintained it well.  Not sure at what point you'd have to start worrying about damaging things.  As you can see in the third pic, the outside shell by the flame was over 600.

I believe when they say set it to 375-400 in the diretions, which we all scoffed at, they met on the top thermometer.  When I took these pics, the thermometer was reading right around "400".  It's measuring air temp in the space above the upper stone.

Obviously, I'll have to try it out with dough, but seems promising.  For the price if it makes pies I'm happy with, IDGAF if it meets Scott's rarefied standards.

Online scott123

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2013, 01:25:49 AM »
For the price if it makes pies I'm happy with, IDGAF if it meets Scott's rarefied standards.

That's uncalled for.  Most of the members of this forum have access to less expensive equipment that provides them with 3 minute bakes.  That's not what most people here are looking for.  The 2stone can (probably) do Neapolitan.  There's considerable hope that this knockoff will do the same. It's one thing to be incivil towards me, but, you're also being disrespectful to the other members of this forum/other members of this thread with similar goals.

It's not about whether or not a device can make great pizza- for many members of the forum, it's about whether a device can break a particular bake time at a lower price than similar devices.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 09:33:31 AM »
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline slybarman

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2013, 09:59:57 AM »
Not necessary.

John K
Ditto, Scott's reply was pretty objective and not an attack on the poster or the oven. He was just saying there may possibly be cheaper ways to "skin-the-cat" unless it does Neapolitan.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2013, 11:01:06 AM »
IDGAF.......I'll admit, I had to look it up, then shook my head. JRo you make it sound like you have more invested here than a purchase?? Comb the puppy fur down a bit and settle, that whole honey vs vinegar thing really does work and you'll end up pissing on the boots of many good people with much to offer you........DEEEEEEP breath, and come back with a sorry thingy :-[ :P

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline slybarman

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2013, 11:23:21 AM »
I will say that one $ factor that Scott's other home methods (steel, etc) may not take into account (at least in my own situation) is the cost of the electric to run the oven and the cost of added AC in the summertime. Running the oven in our townhouse for 1-2 hours in the middle of summer plus the cooldown time really dumps a lot of heat into the house which is expensive and uncomfortable. There would be real dollar value in getting the bake moved outside in the summer. This had me tinkering with the grill last summer, but I never got it really dialed in.
. . . just one more variable to the equation.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 11:26:49 AM by slybarman »

Offline JRo

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2013, 11:46:34 AM »
Ok, sorry.

Some of us just like to mess around with the ovens/methods/etc. that we have available to us.  Whether it's modifying an old thrift store self cleaning oven, screwing around in a metal shop building a steel 'dome' for a propane burner, or picking up a reasonably cheap and interesting toy you saw at the store.  I haven't posted a ton here, but I've lurked off/on for years.  Look through even the top page of recent posts in the ovens forum, and any time someone mentions any oven or method that didn't cost several thousand dollars, the experts swoop in to crap all over it.  I've had a few friends on other forums that I've sent here over the years, and they almost always come back to me with a comment about "those guys are a**holes", or "they take themselves way too seriously"...

This was a thread where someone said, "anyone seen this", and most people started trashing it without knowing anything about it.  I stumbled across it while trying to find any information about this new oven I saw at Cabelas.  It's new enough that other than this thread, the companies website, and a few reviews on Amazon, there really isn't any info out there.  I figured what the heck, it's cheap, I'll play with it some.  Posted some pics showing that it does appear to hit decent temps, and before I even have a chance to make dough, we're already looking for reasons why it won't work. 

Not everyone is trying to produce a pie with wheat grown on the slopes of Mount Vesuvius and milled by the bastard children of Chef Boyardee, fermented with a yeast culture obtained from Mario Batali's dirty underwear, and hydrated to 63.06589247398% with genuine unicorn tears, and cooked in 65.6845 seconds.  Some of us just produce, and have produced pizza, that a lot of friends/family seem to like - and I'm sure we will have a ton of fun with this thing on the back patio making pizza that the experts can look down their nose at.

Online scott123

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2013, 12:56:17 PM »
Jro, I know you don't like to sweat all the little stuff, so this might be hard for you to grasp, but when you apologize, it's generally not the best idea to call the person(s) you're apologizing to an a**hole.

One might go as far as to say that throwing around the 'f' word and calling people a**holes, might actually qualify as being an a**hole oneself and taking oneself too seriously.

I sincerely hope that I'm making sense here. The stench from Mario Batali's dirty underwear is making me a little light headed.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2013, 02:05:52 PM »
Jro, I know you don't like to sweat all the little stuff, so this might be hard for you to grasp, but when you apologize, it's generally not the best idea to call the person(s) you're apologizing to an a**hole.

One might go as far as to say that throwing around the 'f' word and calling people a**holes, might actually qualify as being an a**hole oneself and taking oneself too seriously.

I sincerely hope that I'm making sense here. The stench from Mario Batali's dirty underwear is making me a little light headed.

Ditto.  I'm very new here, although a lurker for some time.  I was very interested in this thread, until it went to the darkside.  Now, I'm kind of nauseated.  There is no reason for such hostility, IMHO.  My praise to you scott123 for taking the high road and responding with dignity and logic.  I'm going to take a break here.