Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 351618 times)

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2013, 03:50:17 PM »
Kudos to Scott.

There is no need for the hostility and distasteful references.

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline pt

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2013, 04:06:14 PM »
jro 

Thanks for adding information about the stone temperatures as that was my main concern.  If you could post pictures of pizzas made in the 3-4 min. range I would appreciate it.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2013, 05:16:14 PM »
JRo, when you ask for opinions on something, that's what you'll get, not just the attaboy and slap on the back, great job, but everything. Opinions have both sides and that's what "I" certainly want when asking for an honest opinion, I would not be happy with getting only positive ones. If you have made commitment to this purchase stick with it and prove everyone wrong, but not with a bunch of backhanded acronyms and slurs and condescending examples trying to belittle. As on every forum, discussions can get heated but try to stay away from outright nasty, or at least personally nasty. Not much of an apology read in your last post. Is that the way you would teach your kids to react??? :o

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2013, 05:27:24 PM »
(I really can't believe how non-litigious Willard is),

Scott, I'm guessing that you've never litigated a patent infringement case.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline JRo

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2013, 11:36:50 PM »
Gentlemen, let me try again to sincerely apologize.  Most of what I wrote should have had a sarcasm smilie attached, if there is such a thing.  My only other excuse is that it's graduation week for my oldest daughter, all of my in-laws were in town, we were getting a new house ready to entertain in, and I'm utterly exhausted.

Moving on.  Stopped by a local brick oven place that claims to be VPN certified, and bought three balls of dough (haven't had time to make any yet).  Fired up the new rig and 8 minutes later, the bottom stone is reading 850, and the top is about 980.

First up, marguerita, just a quick sauce of Cento crushed tomatoes and some garlic and basil.  Cheese was some pre-sliced Bel Gioso that my daughter picked up.  It's cut too thick, but just went with it.  Pulled it out at 90 seconds on the dot.  All three of these were at exactly 90 seconds.  The first two were at
850-870, the third I let it cool down to 800.

Don't know if these are perfect, but they tasted damn good.  Maybe could use a touch less char on the bottom, and a bit more on top.  Maybe pick it up and dome it at 60-75 seconds?  Best I've made in years.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 11:38:46 PM by JRo »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2013, 11:52:41 PM »
JRo, thanks for posting your pizzas and numbers.  Very nice.  8)  Some of your comments made me laugh, espcially the unicorn tears.  :-D. Now if you found out that dough had unicorn tears in it, would you try to get your hands on a unicorn?  ;D

Chau
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 11:56:28 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2013, 12:10:18 AM »
Good recovery. Keep dialing them pies in and finger it out! I've been guilty of firing off emails or posts when agitated and flamed by too many barley pops or that evil fire water before. Hang in there :P

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline slybarman

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2013, 08:34:08 AM »
I would eat any of those pies. That said, it does look like you are getting more bottom heat than top which may go to scotts point about the fibrement versus the cordierite. On the other hand, if you dome the pies as you mentioned, it may not make any difference. Anyhow, I will keep watching to see the progress as I still would like to make pies outside in the summer. A fellow member offered me a really great deal a 2stone last summer and I later kicked myself for not jumping on it.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2013, 10:51:27 AM »
Gentlemen, let me try again to sincerely apologize.  Most of what I wrote should have had a sarcasm smilie attached, if there is such a thing.  My only other excuse is that it's graduation week for my oldest daughter, all of my in-laws were in town, we were getting a new house ready to entertain in, and I'm utterly exhausted.

Moving on.  Stopped by a local brick oven place that claims to be VPN certified, and bought three balls of dough (haven't had time to make any yet).  Fired up the new rig and 8 minutes later, the bottom stone is reading 850, and the top is about 980.

First up, marguerita, just a quick sauce of Cento crushed tomatoes and some garlic and basil.  Cheese was some pre-sliced Bel Gioso that my daughter picked up.  It's cut too thick, but just went with it.  Pulled it out at 90 seconds on the dot.  All three of these were at exactly 90 seconds.  The first two were at
850-870, the third I let it cool down to 800.

Don't know if these are perfect, but they tasted damn good.  Maybe could use a touch less char on the bottom, and a bit more on top.  Maybe pick it up and dome it at 60-75 seconds?  Best I've made in years.

I'd eat any of those pies. I would like to see the tops be a little more done, but there seems to be a lot you can work with there. Start working on your own dough and you'll be all set.

How do you keep the toppings from falling off that upside down pie? :-D

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline JRo

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2013, 10:58:39 AM »
Lol, yeah, not sure why some of the pictures end up upside down.  Maybe something with which way I'm holding the phone when I take them?  They're right side up there... ;)

So, based on what you see here, does anyone have any recommended modifications at this point?  Replace the bottom stone with Fibrament?  Would replacing the upper stone with a piece of steel help?  Maybe stacking the top stone, a piece of steel, and then cutting the current bottom stone to also go on top?  I'm a designer for a fab shop with a waterjet, so cutting metal plates and/or stones isn't an issue...

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2013, 11:06:42 AM »
JRo, can you confirm where the bottom heat source is hitting the stone?  Is it dead center or more towards the edge?

-How thick are the 2 stones?
-Can you measure the gap between the two stones?

To even out the heat and close that gap, you might be able to just place another stone on top of the bottom one separated with some metal nuts to create an air gap.  This works for me in my LBE (modified weber grill set up), so I'm not sure how effective it would be here, but worth a try. 

Can you take some close up pics of the inner back of the lid?  We need to see where the heat is coming from and how it travels in this thing before we can decide if it needs to be redirected and how. 

Is the top lid hinged or fixed?

Chau

Offline JRo

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2013, 11:22:26 AM »
JRo, can you confirm where the bottom heat source is hitting the stone?  Is it dead center or more towards the edge?

-How thick are the 2 stones?
-Can you measure the gap between the two stones?

To even out the heat and close that gap, you might be able to just place another stone on top of the bottom one separated with some metal nuts to create an air gap.  This works for me in my LBE (modified weber grill set up), so I'm not sure how effective it would be here, but worth a try. 

Can you take some close up pics of the inner back of the lid?  We need to see where the heat is coming from and how it travels in this thing before we can decide if it needs to be redirected and how. 

Is the top lid hinged or fixed?

Chau

The fire is very much to the right side of the chamber, I'd say about 30 percent of it hits the stone, and then the rest moves up the side of the chamber and kind of licks over the roof.  You can kind of see this in the first two pics I posted on page 2 of this thread.  The stones are 1/2" thick and there is 5"-6" betweem the lower and upper stone.  The bottom stone sits on a steel plate that rotates.  I had thought about just adding a couple scraps of steel 1x2" under the stone to raise the current stone a couple inches.

The top lid (dome) lifts off.  Underneath is a curved steel piece that rests on a flange at about the same level as the lower stone.  Most of the top is cut away, and that is what supports the upper stone, and also directs the fire from the burner up the side and over the stone.  There is a thin metal cover that then fits over the top of the stone.  I'm not entirely sure what it's purpose is (maybe to just provide a bit of an air gap and some insulation to the outer dome cover?), but I believe it leaves enough space that the upper mass could be increased.

I'll take it apart and take some pics tonight.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:24:50 AM by JRo »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2013, 11:34:21 AM »
Sounds like you are working with a decent set up.  I'm betting with a few tweaks you can get an even bake and NP times in this oven. 

Forgot to ask what the diameter of the stones are.  If this was my oven, I would close that gap by elevating the bottom stone.  I would placed some nuts as mentioned and put a fibrament stone on top of the existing one.   It may increase your heat up times a bit but not much.  The bottom stone will act as a heat buffer.  With fibraments lower conductivity and the bottom heat buffer, along with the smaller gap, you should see an big improvement. 

I would also aim to shoot the pie dead center on the stone if you can.  Don't make the pies too small though.  you want it about 1-1.5" smaller than the diameter of the stone.  You want those flames licking the pie crust. 

Looking forward to the pics.

Chau

Offline pt

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2013, 11:35:42 AM »
I would say the first firing with pies was a success especially considering you cooked them for 90 seconds.  Topping them for a few seconds would have been even better.  Before making any changes to the oven maybe you could cook a few more times at different temps.  :pizza:

Offline etout

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2013, 01:16:57 PM »
I would agree with a few of the other members, if those results are your first attempt then you should be pretty happy. The results appear very similar to that of a 2-stone and the biggest surprise is that this unit costs a fraction of what a 2-stone does. Im sure the 2-stone is built much, much, much better, and is more robust, but we are comparing results from a unit that costs $360 vs. something that costs over $2-3k...talking about build quality and materials may not be too fair between the units.. I'd be pretty damn happy if my first attempt with this bargain unit achieved those results....some additional mods such as swapping out stones and/or modding the flame delivery or dome could potentially yield even better results.

Keep the pics coming, this oven is quite interesting.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2013, 03:53:43 PM »
Here's a link to the instruction manual if anyone wants to see how it is assembled. 

http://www.blackstoneproducts.com/manuals/1575_PizzaOven_manual.pdf

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2013, 08:20:48 PM »
For $360 it seems pretty cool since it seems to be almost doing what a 2stone can do and you can buy 6 of those for the price of a 2stone. Sure it isn't perfect, but for the price I bet it is fun to play with. Hopefully you can make some changes so it will go under the 2 minute mark, then it would really be a great find.

Offline JRo

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2013, 10:08:22 PM »
Tried again tonight, this time got two dough balls from a really good NY place down the road (I know, I know, I'll make dough on Friday night for Sunday dinner with the rest of the family...)  Since last night's Neap. balls were done at 850 for 90 seconds, I wanted to go a bit lower and slower this time.  First one was at 700 for about 2 mins 30 seconds.  The second was at 650 for about 3 mins. 15 secs.

As you can see, still a bit too hot on the bottom, and not hot enough on top. Last nights were definitely lighter.  The kids said they preferred tonight's, though.  I think I'm going to order a Fibrament stone and raise it a bit, as Chau suggested.  Seems like its real close to being really good, especially for the price.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2013, 10:12:15 PM »
Not being negative, but something to think about...you are currently using malted flours and having issues with browning, if/when you switch to unmalted 00 the issues will be multiplied 10 fold, so take that into consideration as you mod, or better yet start making Neapolitan doughs before you begin modding.

Edited to add:

I now see you used dough from a VPN pizzeria first, so you've got that covered.  Are these done with the gas valve high as it goes?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:19:38 PM by shuboyje »
-Jeff

Offline slybarman

« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2013, 10:30:52 PM »
If you go to the fibrement to balance the heat, I imagine you would fall out of true neapolitan bake times. It wouldn't matter to me as I am more into ny style, but that might be a deal breaker for some.