Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 347914 times)

Offline pt

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2013, 10:31:48 PM »
Today I ordered one so maybe next week I will be able to post some results.

Jro, the pizzas are looking good but that last image scared me a little.  :o

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2013, 10:39:11 PM »
If you go to the fibrement to balance the heat, I imagine you would fall out of true neapolitan bake times. It wouldn't matter to me as I am more into ny style, but that might be a deal breaker for some.

That's why I suggested reducing the gap.  He may not even need the fibrament stone, I don't know.  But JRo, based on the pictures from the manual, I might try to lower the ceiling (top stone) rather than raising the floor.....if you can.  Just my thoughts.  As always mod at your own risk.  I am no expert on anything.  Just more of a common sense kinda guy or at least I'd like to think so.  ;D

Chau
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:41:26 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2013, 10:40:33 PM »
Today I ordered one so maybe next week I will be able to post some results.

Jro, the pizzas are looking good but that last image scared me a little.  :o

That lil guy is cute.  Is he an ant eater?

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2013, 11:08:04 PM »
You could try starting the pizza on a screen.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline JRo

« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2013, 09:58:45 PM »
Tried again, with dough from the Neap place. Raised the stone 1.5" by putting some pieces of steel tubing under the stone.  Stone is now about 3" from the top.  Bottom stone at 850-ish.  65 seconds.

For the second pie the stone was about 915-ish.  Also 60 seconds. 

First one the top looked great but bottom was a bit under done.  Second one, I think the stone was just too hot.

Looks like if I lower the stone a half inch or so, 850-ish, maybe 75 seconds or so might be the sweet spot...

As far as the other questions, yes the gas is up all the way, and yes that's an anteater. :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:01:17 PM by JRo »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2013, 10:21:13 PM »
Did you like these pies better than the first NP ones? What is the diameter of the stone? Btw I ordered one yesterday to test and mod.  8)

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2013, 10:50:06 PM »
Did you like these pies better than the first NP ones? What is the diameter of the stone? Btw I ordered one yesterday to test and mod.  8)

I really want to order one too for fun. I am moving in a few months and this seems easy to move. However if I didnt like it, it would serve almost no purpose for me.

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2013, 10:51:52 PM »
Btw I ordered one yesterday to test and mod.  8)

Ditto. Mine will be here Tuesday. :D

What is the diameter of the stone?

Looks like it's 16.5":

The bottom stone is 16.5" in diameter and is about 1/2" thick.

Offline JRo

« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2013, 10:52:32 PM »
I think I liked the first ones better, but the top browned better on these.  I think the sweet spot will be in between the two.

The stone is 16.5" diameter.  I did order a Fibrament stone today, but now I'm not sure I'll need it.  I think lowering the stone down a bit and going about 75 seconds might be perfect.

Good luck! I'm having fun, it's been a couple years since I've made much pizza.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2013, 10:53:07 PM »
I really want to order one too for fun. I am moving in a few months and this seems easy to move. However if I didnt like it, it would serve almost no purpose for me.

Well you can certainly turn the power down and do 4-6 min NY pies.  So what's not to like about that?  ;D

Shipping is free through the grill guru.  Get em while they're hot boyz.  >:D

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2013, 10:56:45 PM »
Well you can certainly turn the power down and do 4-6 min NY pies.  So what's not to like about that?  ;D

Shipping is free through the grill guru.  Get em while they're hot boyz.  >:D

Good point, and it is fathers day Sunday....

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2013, 10:57:44 PM »
Btw JRo, I would probably leave the stone on the bottom metal plate and raise a 2nd stone.  The weight of the stone may prevent the bottom metal tray from warping at high heat.   :-\  also now that I see your new results, you can make smaller pies if you wish and if you drop it dead center on the stone, the rim won't be as dark despite keeping the stone raised 1.5".

Chau
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 11:01:24 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2013, 11:13:43 PM »
I think I liked the first ones better, but the top browned better on these.  I think the sweet spot will be in between the two.

The stone is 16.5" diameter.  I did order a Fibrament stone today, but now I'm not sure I'll need it.  I think lowering the stone down a bit and going about 75 seconds might be perfect.

Good luck! I'm having fun, it's been a couple years since I've made much pizza.
You are doing great with this JRo and your tweaks/reporting are greatly appreciated.
Your NP restaurant dough may not get you to bliss though...just giving a heads up. I know you like their pies but they have a different engine than you. Might want to consider a modified homemade Craig or Chau dough during your excellent trials here.  :chef:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 11:15:35 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2013, 11:15:36 PM »
I just tried to order one and it got declined????

I switched to a Visa from AMEX and it worked. Must not accept AMEX. No points now for that purchase...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 11:19:11 PM by jeffereynelson »

Offline JRo

« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2013, 11:50:52 PM »
You are doing great with this JRo and your tweaks/reporting are greatly appreciated.
Your NP restaurant dough may not get you to bliss though...just giving a heads up. I know you like their pies but they have a different engine than you. Might want to consider a modified homemade Craig or Chau dough during your excellent trials here.  :chef:

Agreed.  It's just that my wife has to make a daily bank run for her job, and the bank is across the street from the NP place...  I just text, and say, "Hey, more experimenting, pick me up a couple more balls?"   ;)

I'm making dough Friday night, but it will probably be more NY, I don't have any 00...

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2013, 12:00:06 AM »
Agreed.  It's just that my wife has to make a daily bank run for her job, and the bank is across the street from the NP place...  I just text, and say, "Hey, more experimenting, pick me up a couple more balls?"   ;)

I'm making dough Friday night, but it will probably be more NY, I don't have any 00...
Ah yes... the modern age of convenience....
You are having fun with this and that's the best part.  ;)  Rome wasn't built over night; right my friend!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pt

« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2013, 11:22:40 AM »
That lil guy is cute.  Is he an ant eater?

Yeah it looks like a pet ant eater. Jro, is it?

Offline slybarman

« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2013, 11:31:37 AM »
Looks like a little action figure.

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2013, 01:41:13 PM »
Looks like R2D2 or one of those Dr. Who Daleks.

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2013, 02:12:44 PM »
Tried again tonight, this time got two dough balls from a really good NY place down the road (I know, I know, I'll make dough on Friday night for Sunday dinner with the rest of the family...)  Since last night's Neap. balls were done at 850 for 90 seconds, I wanted to go a bit lower and slower this time.  First one was at 700 for about 2 mins 30 seconds.  The second was at 650 for about 3 mins. 15 secs.

As you can see, still a bit too hot on the bottom, and not hot enough on top. Last nights were definitely lighter.  The kids said they preferred tonight's, though.  I think I'm going to order a Fibrament stone and raise it a bit, as Chau suggested.  Seems like its real close to being really good, especially for the price.

They look pretty darn good to me.  Like your little furry companion there too.  I would be tempted to give one of these a try myself.