Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 364583 times)

Offline slybarman

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #560 on: June 28, 2013, 01:17:06 PM »
I wonder if Kenji got the idea from Pizza Cuz. That is where I saw it

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #561 on: June 28, 2013, 02:45:42 PM »
@tinroof- I like to go the other way with the temperature. Instead of getting it really hot and turning it down, get the stone to about 900 with it on medium-high heat, and then when you launch kick it up just a bit higher. This is the way I have found the most even bakes for NP pizza. Also I tried Scotts suggestions of throwing some washer under the stone and that has actually helped balance the heat on the bottom for me. I would definitely give it a try because it costs like a buck. Just make sure you don't use talc washer, get SS.

Also if you have a prime account. Just get a cheap metal peel from amazon. That is what I did. Works great. This is what I ordered because it was so cheap shipped. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005616P1G/?tag=pizzamaking-20 --it works fine.

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #562 on: June 28, 2013, 04:40:37 PM »
"Steak on the Blackstone"

That's another reason I ordered mine. I'm thinking like steakhouse oven at home...

I hear they cook them at 1000-1200 degrees...

Crank this baby all the way up, throw the steak in cast iron, and out comes a perfect Pittsburgh style steak...Black & Blue

Got confirmation that it shipped...just hoping it gets from AZ to FL by Wed.

Tom

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #563 on: June 28, 2013, 05:05:54 PM »
@tinroof- I like to go the other way with the temperature. Instead of getting it really hot and turning it down, get the stone to about 900 with it on medium-high heat, and then when you launch kick it up just a bit higher. This is the way I have found the most even bakes for NP pizza. Also I tried Scotts suggestions of throwing some washer under the stone and that has actually helped balance the heat on the bottom for me. I would definitely give it a try because it costs like a buck. Just make sure you don't use talc washer, get SS.

I will give it a try. What did you do with the washers, just spread a few of them around underneath the stone and above the metal part holding the stone?  How many did you use?

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #564 on: June 28, 2013, 05:33:44 PM »
I will give it a try. What did you do with the washers, just spread a few of them around underneath the stone and above the metal part holding the stone?  How many did you use?

Yes, and I just used 4. I think there is something to air not passing the heat to the stone quite as well as when the stone is directly on the metal so my bottoms are less charred and more where I want them.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #565 on: June 28, 2013, 05:41:38 PM »
Yes, and I just used 4. I think there is something to air not passing the heat to the stone quite as well as when the stone is directly on the metal so my bottoms are less charred and more where I want them.
Air is a good natural insulator...think "double paned" window glass.  ;)
Air particles are far apart....particles got to bump into each other to transfer energy/heat.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 05:48:16 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #566 on: June 28, 2013, 06:17:26 PM »

Can't wait to give the washers a try.  You can see on my video that the bottom got pretty black, so I could use a bit of heat moderation on the bottom. 

I think my neighbors are going to be receiving some gift pizzas this weekend.  My refrigerator is already groaning with pizza from the last two nights, and I want to make more already so I can try out the washers, heat techniques, etc.  This Blackstone is great fun I have to say! 

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #567 on: June 28, 2013, 06:23:27 PM »
Can't wait to give the washers a try.  You can see on my video that the bottom got pretty black, so I could use a bit of heat moderation on the bottom. 

I think my neighbors are going to be receiving some gift pizzas this weekend.  My refrigerator is already groaning with pizza from the last two nights, and I want to make more already so I can try out the washers, heat techniques, etc.  This Blackstone is great fun I have to say!

Ya definitely fun. FWIW I don't think the washers are a perfect solution, a lot of it is still in the heat management. Just guessing, I would say you maybe get a reduction in the amount of char on the bottom by 15%. But for such an easy mod, it's worth a try. I'm excited to see you try, I hope its not just in my head that I got better results or that I did things differently with the heat. I got a pizza for tonight, but it is NY not NP.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #568 on: June 28, 2013, 06:32:09 PM »

Tin, I am using metal nuts instead of washers.  I have also used nickels for the same purpose in my LBE.  I loaded this one yesterday at a hearth temp of 900f for a 90 sec bake.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #569 on: June 28, 2013, 07:23:30 PM »
Tin, I am using metal nuts instead of washers.  I have also used nickels for the same purpose in my LBE.  I loaded this one yesterday at a hearth temp of 900f for a 90 sec bake.

That came out just perfect on the bottom.  Chau, may I ask you how many nuts you used and where did you put them? 

Thanks. 

TinRoof

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #570 on: June 28, 2013, 07:27:14 PM »
I used 5.  One in each corner and one in the center.  You can usr 3-4 if you want.  Just space them out.

scott123

« Reply #571 on: June 28, 2013, 07:31:36 PM »
Chau, what was your pre-heat regime?

Also, did you bake this with the burner on full blast?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #572 on: June 28, 2013, 07:40:01 PM »
Chau, what was your pre-heat regime?

Also, did you bake this with the burner on full blast?

I baked this one after my Sicillian so the oven was warm already.  Yes full blast or just shy of it.   I am noticing that in this oven, if you crank it to full blast it appears as though the center of the pie might be cooking a touch faster then the cornice.  The reason is that the flame comes up at such great force and arches over the pie.  It seems that the heat at the tip of the arch might be a tad hotter than the side of the flame.  Just a guest tho.  Anyone else think that?

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #573 on: June 28, 2013, 07:45:22 PM »
I am noticing that in this oven, if you crank it to full blast it appears as though the center of the pie might be cooking a touch faster then the cornice.  The reason is that the flame comes up at such great force and arches over the pie.  It seems that the heat at the tip of the arch might be a tad hotter than the side of the flame.  Just a guest tho.  Anyone else think that?

Yes, I noticed that too. Sort of like the flame in a WFO when the wood is really burning, it kind of curls over the top and head down the center of the oven.  I hadn't noticed specifically that the center of the pie was getting cooked quicker; I will watch for that next time I bake. 

Offline communist

« Reply #574 on: June 28, 2013, 09:37:53 PM »
UPS picked up my flame throwing "demon oven". No more in stock as stated earlier in thread - they said they were unsure if they were restocking.

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #575 on: June 28, 2013, 10:15:08 PM »
So far my oven has seen about 8 hours of use on low and less than 10 minutes of use on medium. During my last bake the heat shield began flaking:

Offline parallei

« Reply #576 on: June 28, 2013, 10:26:39 PM »
I baked this one after my Sicillian so the oven was warm already.  Yes full blast or just shy of it.   I am noticing that in this oven, if you crank it to full blast it appears as though the center of the pie might be cooking a touch faster then the cornice.  The reason is that the flame comes up at such great force and arches over the pie.  It seems that the heat at the tip of the arch might be a tad hotter than the side of the flame.  Just a guest tho.  Anyone else think that?

Chau, I've noticed a similar effect on the 2Stone.  To hit the cornice (when I remember) I just move the gas ring a bit back towards the center of the stone.  This reduces the height of the flame without dropping the heat.  I don't know if the gas ring on your rig is moveable.  Maybe you can make it so......

Paul
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:35:29 PM by parallei »

Offline slybarman

« Reply #577 on: June 29, 2013, 11:41:17 AM »
Looks like I'm in the broken stone club.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #578 on: June 29, 2013, 11:48:01 AM »
Photo of the unassembled innards for reference.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #579 on: June 29, 2013, 12:09:19 PM »
I loaded this one yesterday at a hearth temp of 900f for a 90 sec bake.

Chau, I've been staring at that pic for about a minute...Wow...That is so nice.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato