Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 288285 times)

johnnytex and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline etout

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #700 on: July 03, 2013, 08:42:26 PM »
Well.....just as I thought, UPS delivered my oven today with substantial damage  >:(

Damage:
-Top pizza stone shattered into multiple pieces
-Bottom pizza stone shattered into multiple pieces
-Scuffs, scrapes, dings all over the oven from the broken pizza stone shards.
-Bottom frame tubing bent, preventing the bottom legs from being attached.

I could have possibly lived with the scuffs or scrapes, but the bent frame is just not something I feel like dealing with, nor should I be expected to fix myself.

I called GriddleGuru/Blackstone customer service and they were very friendly and offered to ship out a replacement without any questions. The customer service department was easy to deal with and very apologetic , I just wish I had a working oven for the weekend....UPS is the worst (I've had more packages damaged by UPS than any other carrier ten-fold)

Just a side note.....I was fairly impressed by the thickness of the steel on this oven (given the lower price), especially the bottom plate which the stone sits on. Overall I was expecting very thin metal throughout and that is most definitely not the case....note to other buyers.

I would say that the stones themselves should be individually wrapped and boxed within the main package given they are the most fragile part of this oven and the weakest link; however, I do disagree that UPS gets a 'get out of jail card' here. I personally witnessed the driver unloading the box without a dolly and then dropping it to the ground from at least 2 feet....so I do feel that the carrier plays a huge role in how packages arrive.

What's done is done....maybe its the driver on my route, but I do blame UPS in this case for the frame damage...it appears the box was dropped or hit quite substantially in order to bend the frame and no additionally packaging would have prevented that unless we are talking about shipping these via freight on a pallet (which is not going to happen).

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #701 on: July 03, 2013, 09:04:45 PM »
I agree, it is unfair to blame BS if UPS drivers are dropping boxes or drop kicking boxes.  I had a roommate in college that worked for UPS.  He said he and other employees routinely damaged packages for fun.   :o

I understand that if your stones aren't wrapped and come broken then that is poor packaging on BS' s part.  Both my stones came boxed/wrapped and package properly.

Offline Jeep Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #702 on: July 03, 2013, 09:38:06 PM »
I hope mine makes it in one piece.  ???
Time is money, money is power, power is pizza and pizza is knowledge.

Offline jgerardi

• Learning to make pizza....
« Reply #703 on: July 04, 2013, 12:01:21 AM »
FYI -  the rotating motor missing from the package arrived today.  It took 3 days shipping to recieve the missing part...not bad.  My experience with thier customer service has been good.  John
"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." Yogi Berra

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #704 on: July 04, 2013, 07:09:21 AM »
I just checked the UPS tracking, and mine finally made it to Tampa, for delivery tomorrow. I just happened to take a vacation day tomorrow, and will be watch for the UPS guy. I'll be more than happy to assist him in getting it off the truck, hopefully in one piece.

Tom

Offline DocSpine

« Reply #705 on: July 04, 2013, 10:15:47 AM »
Did someone give the dimensions of the pizza stone, dia. and thickness, just in case so I can find a replacement source.
I scanned through the blog but did not see. (read that as lazy) ::)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #706 on: July 04, 2013, 11:32:08 AM »
John and Tom...that is great they are being responsive in a timely manner to your defective merchandise. I still would like to know if anyone has called the help-line and asked about the flashback problem. Thanks!
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online scott123

« Reply #707 on: July 04, 2013, 11:46:52 AM »
I agree, it is unfair to blame BS if UPS drivers are dropping boxes or drop kicking boxes.  I had a roommate in college that worked for UPS.  He said he and other employees routinely damaged packages for fun.   :o

When did you go to college, Chau?  ;D  UPS has been doing this for at least 20 years- and people have been cursing them equally as long.  Blaming UPS (or any other shipper) does absolutely nothing.  These are close to minimum wage employees and they just don't care. Nothing will ever change that. It would be like expecting perfectly prepared food at McDonalds.  It's not going to happen.

Whenever you ship a package, ANY package, you have to assume that it's going to get drop kicked (or the equivalent) and to package it accordingly. You prevent any items from moving around inside the box and you double box it with a layer of packing material in between.  Anyone who's ever dealt with UPS understands this.  Any manufacturer with half a clue understands this.  Blackstone dropped the ball, big time.

Online scott123

« Reply #708 on: July 04, 2013, 11:55:51 AM »
Did someone give the dimensions of the pizza stone, dia. and thickness, just in case so I can find a replacement source.

16.5" diameter, 14mm thickness (1/2" probably would suffice).

Even if you do find something this size, I don't recommend purchasing it, as the stock stone has baking properties that a replacement stone most likely won't possess.

John and Tom...that is great they are being responsive in a timely manner to your defective merchandise.

Speaking of responsiveness ;D  If anyone's waiting for an update on the quality assurance question I emailed them two weeks ago, I have yet to receive any reply whatsoever.  I wouldn't hold your breath.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #709 on: July 04, 2013, 12:27:23 PM »
Scott, I am not blaming UPS per se, but some of their employees have been known to diliberately damage merchandise, and you can't blame BS for that.   I think that shippers have a responsibility to package items well, but when I go to ship an item, I don't package it with the idea in mind of preventing purposeful damage from the employees of shipping companies.  I expect packages to get bumped and what not during shipment, but not expect that my packaged will be outright mistreated such as being dropped 2-3 feet or dropped kicked.  That's crazy talk Scott.   I expect that packages get treated within reason and I would expect a shipper to package a product reasonably well or within reason.  And as far as I can tell from the package I received, BS has done that.

You guys are cracking me up.  You expect the moon for $360.  It ain't happening.  The company has to make a profit somewhere.  I don't think it is reasonable to expect 1" stones, 16g sheet metal or stainless steel parts, things to be packaged against angry UPS shippers drop kicking boxes and what not.  I don't know how other members' ovens came packaged.   If I had gotten broken stones that weren't wrapped or packaged properly, I would be upset as well.  All I am saying is that it may not have been BS fault.  I received a properly packaged oven from BS, so no BS didn't drop the ball big time Scott.

You can't base your math from the number of people posting here.  It doesn't represent an accurate count of all ovens shipped and how many of them are damaged in transit.  You will typically hear from those who have gotten damage ovens and not from other happy customers. 

At the end of the day, this oven is a capable of baking a pizza as advertised out of the box and within NP bake times (60-90s) with minor adjustments and modifications.   That to me is worth the $360 price of admission and the risk of getting a damaged oven.  And from what it sounds like, BS is responding fairly quickly and replacing damage parts/ovens.   

Online scott123

« Reply #710 on: July 04, 2013, 01:05:28 PM »
2-3 foot drops for UPS isn't malicious mistreatment. Every single box that goes through their system sees at least that many Gs. Talk to anyone that's ever worked for UPS- that's standard.

Are we really expecting something for nothing? From a manufacturing standpoint, this is nothing more than a gas grill and two stones. Comparing this to a non mass manufactured $2K 2stone is ridiculous.  $370 gets you a pretty sturdy grill. This is not a company cutting corners to make a profit.  This is a company that's selling a product that's well within the typical range of grill prices and with the same profit margins that everyone else in the grill industry has.

There's nothing about a $370 price point that says that around 30% of their customers should have to go through the hassle of replacing broken parts. There's nothing about a $370 price point that says that 5% of their customers should be in physical danger from flames shooting out the front of the device.

This forum is the perfect sampling pool for detecting damage/poor packaging since everyone who's bought one has chimed in, regardless of damage, unlike someplace like Amazon where the people with damages chime in with a greater proportion to the happy customers.

This company, plain and simple, blows. Buy the oven, but hate the company.

Think about it. Flames! Coming out the front of the oven! Not once, twice!  Yes, we love pizza, and that can cause some tunnel vision, but does someone have to get hurt, or, perish the thought, die, for us to say "Well, maybe blackstone isn't that great of a company?"
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 03:06:03 PM by scott123 »

Online slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #711 on: July 04, 2013, 02:21:54 PM »
Scott - to be fair this may well be the first production run.  let's see what they learn from this and what gets adjusted for the next batch.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #712 on: July 04, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
So yes, it is no doubt true that BS needs to clean up their act. The ovens need to be packaged more carefully. The flames coming out the front issue is, well, a big problem. It may well out them out of business. The product isn't ready for primetime.  But this is how things go . The first lightbulb didn't burn for 10, 000 hours. Someone will fix these issues and come out with the Whitestone or Bluestone oven, which will be very similar to the Blackstone but better. Packaged well and no flames coming out the wrong orifice.  Better welds, etc. But still at a pretty attractive price point. That's the beauty of capitalism. 

In the meantime, I'm going to continue carefully to enjoy my working specimen and watch out for flames coming from the wrong places while whipping out 90 second pizzas.

Happy July 4th to all you pizza makers!

TinRoof

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #713 on: July 04, 2013, 03:46:07 PM »
2-3 foot drops for UPS isn't malicious mistreatment. Every single box that goes through their system sees at least that many Gs. Talk to anyone that's ever worked for UPS- that's standard.

LOL. This is not standard treatment of packages nor should it be for any shipping company.

There's nothing about a $370 price point that says that around 30% of their customers should have to go through the hassle of replacing broken parts. There's nothing about a $370 price point that says that 5% of their customers should be in physical danger from flames shooting out the front of the device.

Scott, where are you getting your data from?  I've already mentioned that it is not accurate to base your calculations on the members who have posted here.  Your numbers may very well be inaccurate.

This forum is the perfect sampling pool for detecting damage/poor packaging since everyone who's bought one has chimed in...

How are you certain of this?  I would venture a guess that you have only heard from a small minority of the pool of folks who have purchase this oven through this forum, let alone the potential hundreds to thousands of units sold through Cabelas, grill guru, Amazon, and who knows where else.

This company, plain and simple, blows. Buy the oven, but hate the company.

Ok, I don't care much for the company either.  But it sounds like their customer service is responsive to replacing broken parts.  I agree that these things shouldn't happen, but that is just life.  It isn't perfect. 

Think about it. Flames! Coming out the front of the oven! Not once, twice!  Yes, we love pizza, and that can cause some tunnel vision, but does someone have to get hurt, or, perish the thought, die, for us to say "Well, maybe blackstone isn't that great of a company?"

I assure you no one is going to die from using this oven.  And despite the posted dangers, inconveniences, and shoddy materials, it appears that members are still willing to take their chances.  More and more members are posting that they are ordering the oven.

Chau
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 03:48:01 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #714 on: July 04, 2013, 03:57:08 PM »
...That area you speak of [ceiling opposite of flame] doesn't actually participate in top crust browning.  At least not actively.  It participates more in keeping the top crust warm while the crust heads into the active heat zone where true crust browning occurs.   Because the high intensity of direct heat in this zone, any differences in top stone heat becomes lost....

As a matter of fact Scott, for the quick bakes, there is too much top heat in this oven, especially in the center of the pie versus the periphery.  I have already noted this phenomenon in an earlier post.  The cheese is cooking faster than I want because of the arcing flame.  I will be fashioning some type of an airfoil deflector for this oven soon to direct some of that top heat back into the crust as I did in my LBE.  My suspicion is that it will concentrate heat where it really counts and lessen heat to the top stone even further. 

Chau

To test this idea, I fashioned an heat deflector out of sheet metal similar to the one I made for my MBE and LBE.  The idea is simple.  Bring that arcing flame down towards the crust to improve crust rise and browning and prevent cheese from over cooking.   First bake, the heat deflector works too well.  This pizza baked in 45-50s and the top crust was toast.  Biggest rim rise I've seen in this oven yet.  I need to adjust the angle of the air deflector. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 04:17:59 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #715 on: July 04, 2013, 04:03:29 PM »
Try #2.  Changed the angle of the deflection to even out the flames.  This pizza baked in 60sec.  Better but still too much heat from above. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 04:12:54 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #716 on: July 04, 2013, 04:08:55 PM »
Try #3.  Kept the angle of the heat deflector the same but dialed back the flames.  Bingo!  60 second bake.   This oven is now more heat and fuel efficient.   As I suspected, the active baking zone is within the arc of the flame.  The heat coming from the far side of the ceiling is inconsequential to the bake.  The addition of the heat deflector actually decreases temps to the far side of the ceiling and yet the rim rise is better.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 04:58:28 PM by Jackie Tran »

Online scott123

« Reply #717 on: July 04, 2013, 04:19:15 PM »
Chau, I just said "buy the oven," and I've been saying that for quite some time, so people ordering the oven doesn't really render my statements any less true  ;D

The data in this thread is a solid sampling pool. Could it be larger? Of course, but there are no obvious elements that might skew it one way or another.  The only thing that would skew that data is if lurkers joined just to post about damage.  The members who've participated in this discussion have all been active members, and, any active member who's purchased this oven has said so here. I'm 100% certain of it. The fact that everyone's who's bought it has posted about buying it gives us a good cross section of successful shipments vs. unsuccessful ones.  Based on this, the public, as a whole, should be seeing similar rates.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #718 on: July 04, 2013, 04:25:20 PM »
Ok Scott.  I still love ya man.   :-*  How do you like the pies?  We can talk about busted stones and build quality all day.  But unless you have a wfo (read thousands of dollars), you're not eating NP at home without a BS or a 2Stone.   ;)

Online scott123

« Reply #719 on: July 04, 2013, 04:33:10 PM »
The heat coming from the far side of the ceiling is inconsequential to the bake.

Chau, it sounds a bit like you're saying that this experiment disproves my previous statements  ;D While I applaud your ingenuity, think you've found an interesting solution and am impressed by this last batch of pies, the heat coming from the far side of the ceiling in a modded oven is inconsequential to the bake. In an unmodded oven, that far side heat is consequential. When you dome a pizza in a NP oven, do you bring the pizza to the arcing flame or do you bring it to the central, non-flame area of the oven? No difference here.

Do you have a photo of the scoop?

And I love you too, but how about we hug it out, rather than a kiss? I just ate a lot of garlic  :-D