Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 375917 times)

burnout777 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #800 on: July 05, 2013, 11:51:29 PM »
Dave I am not sure about back pressure but yes I think the heat deflector does create a bit more back pressure.  Mainly I think it interrupts the flame arc pattern.  You can visually see the pattern of heat/flame being disrupted. 

Pete it is about 5.5" x 7.5".  Yes it is held in place by the top stone.

Chau
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 10:06:00 AM by Jackie Tran »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #801 on: July 06, 2013, 11:11:09 AM »
Why not put a picture of a margherita up of Craig's so people know the standard. (also maybe see what craig thinks about this lol)
I put one up over at the start of the BS Challenge thread.  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #802 on: July 06, 2013, 12:25:34 PM »
Fire in the Hole...

Got it assembled this morning, and fired it up. Got the bottom stone to about 600 degrees in 15 minutes with the burner probably a little more than half open. Shut it down, and made some dough for some pizza tonight.

Never tried a NP pie, so that will wait until I read up on it in the forums. It will have to be the old standard, Chicago thin cracker crust. Figure I can at least get the stone up to a better temperature than the old home oven can do.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #803 on: July 06, 2013, 12:53:38 PM »
Fire in the Hole...

Got it assembled this morning, and fired it up. Got the bottom stone to about 600 degrees in 15 minutes with the burner probably a little more than half open. Shut it down, and made some dough for some pizza tonight.

Never tried a NP pie, so that will wait until I read up on it in the forums. It will have to be the old standard, Chicago thin cracker crust. Figure I can at least get the stone up to a better temperature than the old home oven can do.
Looks great in your setting there Tom!  8)
Good luck with it...I have a feeling this oven will make excellent cracker pizza.  http://vitoandnicks.com/
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #804 on: July 06, 2013, 01:12:18 PM »
Fire in the Hole...

Very nice. I lived in Wesley Chapel for a very short amount of time. I liked it there even though I did not like the city of Tampa.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #805 on: July 06, 2013, 06:04:41 PM »
This makes me want to buy this oven. How difficult was the mod? (for those of us that are not particularly handy...)

Also, how has the oven been at recovering and baking multiple pies? Consistent?

Try #3.  Kept the angle of the heat deflector the same but dialed back the flames.  Bingo!  60 second bake.   This oven is now more heat and fuel efficient.   As I suspected, the active baking zone is within the arc of the flame.  The heat coming from the far side of the ceiling is inconsequential to the bake.  The addition of the heat deflector actually decreases temps to the far side of the ceiling and yet the rim rise is better.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:09:16 PM by hotsawce »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #806 on: July 06, 2013, 06:08:35 PM »
This makes me want to buy this oven. How difficult was the mod? (for those of us that are not particularly handy...)

The most I've run through at once is three and it did fine, but another member reported 10 with no issues. With the amount of heat and flame that directly hits the stone I don't see recovery as being an issue.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #807 on: July 06, 2013, 06:09:28 PM »
How long do you see the oven lasting with the warping and flaking issues already seen?

The most I've run through at once is three and it did fine, but another member reported 10 with no issues. With the amount of heat and flame that directly hits the stone I don't see recovery as being an issue.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #808 on: July 06, 2013, 06:16:47 PM »
Chau - Thx for your reply.  If you do snap a picture of that deflected flame (at night probably), please post it.  For those interested, what I'm seeing in that over-char rim photo is that the blackest point is about 1/2 way up from the stone - meaning that the maximum heat is coming from the side.  Deflecting down from the top tends to over-cook (char) the cheese and/or the transition area between the cheesy sauce area and the rim - but in that photo the area between char and cheese is blonde and the cheese is not over-cooked.

For now, this is just another bad prediction on my part.  (I had a lot of these when I first started hacking my gas/rotisserie oven - but I thought I was getting better).  The only way I can wrap my head around that char picture is thinking that as soon as the blowtorch flame rises past the stone, backpressure forces the heat flow closer to the rim or exposes the side of the rim to a longer duration of heat flow (or both).

RK - nice job framing that picture!  Only thing missing in that picture is the pie.

In one session I threw 8 pies and in the other I threw 6 BIG pies.  Recovery with that blow torch is really good.  The eaters were regular pizza folks, not NP types, so I threw at 725F-750F, cooked 3-4 minutes and repeated.  Most of the time the flame was low-medium, with the last few rotations on blast until brown/golden-brown.  (From my experience, regular pizza eaters aren't fans of char).  I'm guessing if I was trying to achieve a maximum throughput with that process, I could leave the blast on for 2 minutes (the time it takes to make a pie), and the oven would have fully recovered to 725F-750F.  So maybe I could throw a pie every 5 minutes or so - that's a lot of slices.

Dave

Offline slybarman

« Reply #809 on: July 06, 2013, 06:22:33 PM »
  (From my experience, regular pizza eaters aren't fans of char).

Dave

My experience as well.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #810 on: July 06, 2013, 06:31:39 PM »
How long do you see the oven lasting with the warping and flaking issues already seen?

No one knows.  I'm not sure if someone was using this within recommended temps that they would see the same warping and chipping issues.  It is likely due to the high temp NP bakes.  That's why I did the recent mods.  To beef up the areas exposed to heat.  This should extend the life of the oven significantly provided nothing else fails on it. 

scott123

« Reply #811 on: July 06, 2013, 06:32:30 PM »
I think that there is a level of char that provides just enough flavor that 'regular' pizza eaters are not offended by it. Chau hit it here (and Craig hits it in his undercrust as well).

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25127.msg262717.html#msg262717

Any more than that, and it's pushing it (for regular folks).

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #812 on: July 06, 2013, 06:40:34 PM »
Dave to produce that level of top crust char you see in 45-50 sec, the angle of the deflector was much steeper.  Probably closer to 90 degrees.  In the 2nd and 3rd pie, I widened that angle so that the flame is not directed back towards the top crust as much.   The picture you see of the heat deflector now was the adjustment made to it so that the angle is not as sharp.   I want to make sure you understand that so that you aren't trying to associated that charred rim with the current the heat deflector.  The current heat deflector made pies 2 and 3.   

Chau
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 10:10:43 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #813 on: July 06, 2013, 07:16:21 PM »

The flaking that I originally noted is actually just the finish on the steel flaking off. Since that has flaked off I haven't had any other issues with it flaking. I also have had very minimal warping issues. I can see the oven lasting for a while (2 years baking weekly) without needing any repairs.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #814 on: July 07, 2013, 12:12:52 PM »
The current heat deflector made pies 2 and 3.

Thanks Chau.  Great photo.  I went back to early posts to look for a comparison before/after - otherwise, I'm just going from memory.  Best I can tell is that your deflector produces a good downward curl of the flame towards the pie from above and (I'm guessing here) a wider flame just above the stone.  I'll check it out when I get back to Tampa.

Modifications like this change the bake, not just because of the deflector, but because wackos like you and me tend to dial the heat up or down to achieve the right look at the right time.  The combination of a different heat flow pattern and different dial adjustments complicate things.

For those fiddling with deflectors, I'd suggest something more like Chau's simple & elegant, design rather than mine (below).  I know the picture is a bit hard to see, but my deflector is mounted at stone level and bends the head to toward the rim.  I fear a stone-level deflector would be overkill on every flame setting but low.

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #815 on: July 07, 2013, 12:14:41 PM »
Not really sure if I should be posting pictures of pizzas that look like this, after seeing all the other works of art on here.

First cook with the Blackstone, Chicago thin cracker. 4 pizzas in all. And, before anyone else says it;  they are a little overdone, however, the wife and I do like our pizzas on the well done side.
Temperature valve was on low the whole time, temp on the bottom stone running 550-560. Took 6-8 min. per pie. I'm hoping the sausage was cooked enough, but it seemed fine.
All the same cheese used for all of them, 50% Sorrento WMM, 50% BJ Club Provolone

First one was a cheese, mushroom, and onion
Second one is a cheese, sausage, mushroom, and onion
Third one is a cheese only
Fourth and Fifth are cheese and sausage

I'm thinking about raising the revolving tray a little more. Try moderating the temp a little that way, along with the regulator on the propane tank.

Tom

Offline zymurgymaster

• A.lpha S.ausage S.upreme
« Reply #816 on: July 07, 2013, 01:20:56 PM »
Finally got a chance to fire it up.  Had some setbacks, my fault not BS, over fermented dough, company, work, etc.  Used Craig's dough formulation except I used GM all-purpose, also did his Calabria Chili pepper oil.  Craig, thanks for those formulations. 

I can now retire my old kitchen oven that I use to use on the cleaning cycle for neo style pizza.  I can attest that cooking on the cleaning cycle could quickly degrade your oven from an appearance standpoint.  Also, at 92 F in CT, baking pizza in an oven in the house would not happen.  Craig, how do you cook those pies in your garage in those temps???

My BS was purchased from Cabala's and I had not issues with it.  I was impressed with the packaging and the ease of setup.

Did not time the bakes, but they were less than 2 min.  Made three pies with a stone temp ~730 F with an IR thermometer. I also had a Delmonico, so I also thew that on it after the pizzas were done.  Steak came out good, but I'll stick to SV and high temp sear.

I am also glad to see that this forum does not disappoint with the mods to the BS to make it an even better baking tool.

Anyways here are a couple images of my first pies and steak out of the BS.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 01:29:44 PM by zymurgymaster »

Offline slybarman

« Reply #817 on: July 07, 2013, 02:42:51 PM »
Nice pies there Z.

Offline pt

« Reply #818 on: July 07, 2013, 02:54:59 PM »
I received my new replacement stones and bottom rotating plate from BS over the weekend in good condition. ;D My last three pies have been made with 1-1.5 hour dough and the results have been amazing in color, char and overall flavor.  Has anyone else made pizzas with quick fermentation dough in the BS?

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #819 on: July 07, 2013, 03:16:03 PM »
I received my new replacement stones and bottom rotating plate from BS over the weekend in good condition. ;D My last three pies have been made with 1-1.5 hour dough and the results have been amazing in color, char and overall flavor.  Has anyone else made pizzas with quick fermentation dough in the BS?

For me, not so far.  I have been using all overnight or day-long fermentation doughs. Glad to hear that you got your replacement stones. 

Regards,

TinRoof

pizzapan