Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 347048 times)

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #1320 on: July 19, 2013, 06:58:18 PM »
Ya mine glows like that. I don't understand why you would cut it off though. Seems like that would just further weaken the bracket, and thats where the heat shield rests.

Offline polishpizza

• New Haven Style Thin Crust Mobile Pizza - We Bring The Party To You, Not Just The Pizza!
« Reply #1321 on: July 19, 2013, 07:06:59 PM »
The heat shield is pretty light and it seems like that "bracket" really is just to lock the edges in so it stays in place along with the rear tab.  Is it structural, I guess to some degree.  It would only allow the flame to go more evenly up the shield if cut out.  Either way it is in a very odd place.  I'm not an engineer either.
Polack trying to make pizza

Offline communist

« Reply #1322 on: July 19, 2013, 07:11:21 PM »
Friday night Neapolitan.  Pesto pie, the. Margarita.  Bottom stone around 825. Better than 875-900.  60 seconds on deck - doming for 20 seconds. 48 hour .03% IDY at 65 degrees.  Trying to learn from Craig!

Offline communist

« Reply #1323 on: July 19, 2013, 07:12:46 PM »
More!

Online red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1324 on: July 19, 2013, 07:28:58 PM »
Somewhere in the thread is a cover mod that Chau fashioned. I'm working on something similar with ceramic cloth. Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline redox

« Reply #1325 on: July 19, 2013, 07:42:58 PM »
My BS arrived in pretty good shape this afternoon. The UPS guy backed his truck up the drive to my garage door and I helped him unload it. I had to open up the "receiver tube" a bit so I could insert one of the legs and the bottom stone has a sliver out of the edge that won't affect anything so I guess I'm good to go. I could not find my allen key set so my wife went out and bought a set for me. Today was a "feels like 100 day" so I was not in a hurry. Didn't check the burner yet, I've had enough heat for today. Tomorrow I'll see if I have a flamethrower.

Offline redox

« Reply #1326 on: July 19, 2013, 07:45:10 PM »
italdream:
Somewhere in this thread you posted your order no. mine was the next number. I hope yours got there ok, too.

Offline polishpizza

• New Haven Style Thin Crust Mobile Pizza - We Bring The Party To You, Not Just The Pizza!
« Reply #1327 on: July 19, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
i just tested mine again and this time I could only get to 425 with red regulator all the way open minus one back turn.  This was after about 12 minutes.  I do not have an IR and am just going by dome T.  My IR is with my mobile WFO.  I'm going to buy another IR in the AM.  Not sure how people are getting to 800+  Certainly not questioning that but I might need to adjust something!

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #1328 on: July 19, 2013, 08:03:57 PM »
i just tested mine again and this time I could only get to 425 with red regulator all the way open minus one back turn.  This was after about 12 minutes.  I do not have an IR and am just going by dome T.  My IR is with my mobile WFO.  I'm going to buy another IR in the AM.  Not sure how people are getting to 800+  Certainly not questioning that but I might need to adjust something!

The temp gauge in the dome and IR temps are completely different. I can get mine too 500F in the dome. That's about it though. So you're into the ~800F for stone temp.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:05:39 PM by jeffereynelson »

Offline redox

« Reply #1329 on: July 19, 2013, 08:05:04 PM »
I've not fired mine up yet but from what I read in this thread, 800 is an IR reading, the built in thermometer never gets that high. My current IR only goes to about 750 so I'll check tomorrow to see if I can reach that.

Offline polishpizza

« Reply #1330 on: July 19, 2013, 08:08:31 PM »
makes sense.  thanks guys.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #1331 on: July 19, 2013, 08:17:58 PM »
Thanks guys, at least I know I'm not crazy.  Anyone else cut off that bracket or will we be the first guinea pigs?  I have to assume everyone's bracket is in the same spot and glows like ours.

I fashioned a shield for that bracket to increase it's longevity but now that you guys mention cutting it, I think its a good idea.  Someone try it out and report back!

Offline polishpizza

« Reply #1332 on: July 19, 2013, 08:28:10 PM »
logically to me it's a good idea, technically I'm not sure...

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #1333 on: July 19, 2013, 09:01:49 PM »
Friday night Neapolitan.  Pesto pie, the. Margarita.  Bottom stone around 825. Better than 875-900.  60 seconds on deck - doming for 20 seconds. 48 hour .03% IDY at 65 degrees.  Trying to learn from Craig!

Nice leoparding Comrade!  Very good looking pizzas and I bet they tasted great too.

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline BigKahuna

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1334 on: July 19, 2013, 09:21:31 PM »
Does anyone in Hawaii have a BS?

Shipping is not free to hawaii so just wondering if anyone knows when Lowes or Ace will carry this oven.

Or would it be cheaper if we group together and order a pallet shipped frieght?

Offline BigKahuna

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1335 on: July 19, 2013, 09:41:23 PM »
Motor speed control.

I don't own a BS, but regarding the motor speed control, what might work is a cheapy PWM controller and a SSR.   Recommend the SSR be rated above your motors rating.  SSR can handle both AC or DC.

This is similar to speed controllers for motors and temperature controller for sous vide. 

Just a thought if anyone wanted to get a faster motor and control its speed.  Speed could be adjusted b4, during, after throwing pie on turntable.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1336 on: July 20, 2013, 09:05:26 AM »
Bushing Temperature - about 500F, which is toasty IMO.  I measured the underside plate (of the bushing this time, not the lower one), and the temperature after a quick stone warm up was 450F.  Things would likely have been hotter on the topside and if I were making several pies, not one - hence the 500F estimate.  Apparently that turkey fryer burner, located near the bushing, imparts some heat.  I'm not sure how that retrofit bearing will hold up over time, hopefully well, but if one of the bearing upgrade folks has cooked a lot of pies and wouldn't mind reporting back (maybe a picture?) we can keep track on how things are progressing.  The same applies to the bushing and grease.  I've only got a few bakes on the anti sieze lube, but I'll post up when I get more experience.

barryvabeach/polishpizza -
I plan to cut off the middle part of the bracket
.  I think that is a good idea.  That angle iron directly in the flame blocks the flow and unnecessarily heats the outer skin via conduction without adding to the support of upper stone hardware.  Please share your results.

red kiosk - a picture of your ceramic cloth tweak would be appreciated when it is ready to be shared.

Dave

Offline jgerardi

• Learning to make pizza....
« Reply #1337 on: July 20, 2013, 10:40:48 AM »
"Trying to learn from Craig!",

Looks like you are Comrade!  More good looking pizza   :chef:
"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." Yogi Berra

Offline barryvabeach

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven - Cutting off Part of Bracket
« Reply #1338 on: July 20, 2013, 11:37:36 AM »
I kind of enjoy tinkering with things, and I saw from Chau's posts that the bracket that holds the right side of the heat shield is right in the line of fire so to speak.  On mine, it glowed quite red.  Since it has a flat side, my concern was that it would force some of the flame and heat over the heat shield,  instead of going under the heat shield and up to the bottom of the top stone.  The first photo is when I got it.    I tested it this morning and with the flame at a medium setting, the side just above the hand bracket was 570 after a 4 minute preheat, and the top of the oven was 300 F.   I then took everything out,  cut out the bracket , then reassembled and redid the test.  This time the side was only 486 F after 4 minutes,  the top was 285.   I can't be all that sure about either of the top numbers, because there is not much there to be sure you are aiming at the same place. but I am pretty confident about the side numbers, which means I may have cut down on misdirected heat.    The heat shield is fine without the part I took out, since it really only needs to rest on 3 pieces.  I can't say it will help anyone else, and hadn't done enough pies on it to know whether there is much difference in cooking, but I think it wouldn't hurt to cut out that bracket.  I will be putting on a extension piece to bring the shield even lower to make sure all the heat goes up and in.    I still need to fashion the heat deflector that Chau did, which is a more important mod -   BTW, sorry about the photos, but it is hard to get a good image of the flame at midday.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1339 on: July 20, 2013, 11:50:54 AM »
 I will be putting on a extension piece to bring the shield even lower to make sure all the heat goes up and in. 

I like the way you think Barry.  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan