Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 377743 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #1340 on: July 20, 2013, 11:58:58 AM »
I noticed that they are back in stock on Cabela's website.  On sale for 359.99

Deb,

Thanks for posting that Cabela's has the Blackstone Pizza Ovens on sale for 359.00.  ;)  I just could not resist since they are on sale.  >:D I called Cabela's in Hamburg, Pa. this morning and customer service is holding a BS for me until I can pick it up tomorrow.  I think I have a serious pizza addiction and hopefully I can put the BS together myself.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1341 on: July 20, 2013, 12:04:42 PM »
Deb,

Thanks for posting that Cabela's has the Blackstone Pizza Ovens on sale for 359.00.  ;)  I just could not resist since they are on sale.  >:D I called Cabela's in Hamburg, Pa. this morning and customer service is holding a BS for me until I can pick it up tomorrow.  I think I have a serious pizza addiction and hopefully I can put the BS together myself.

Norma
At a girl...congratulations!!
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1342 on: July 20, 2013, 12:06:40 PM »
Bully for you Barry!  Thanks for sharing your reasoning and results.  I also believe that the flame in these standard ovens is being diverted to the outside by that red-hot bracket.  You might consider adding a photo at nighttime showing the improvement.  It is possible that you might not need an extension (or if you only need a smidge, consider just pounding the metal in the flame area away with a ball peen hammer).

Dave

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1343 on: July 20, 2013, 12:21:42 PM »
At a girl...congratulations!!

Thanks Bob!  I am anxious to try a BS.

Norma

Offline barryvabeach

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven Extension to Heat Shield
« Reply #1344 on: July 20, 2013, 12:39:53 PM »
Dave, I had the same thought, but no way to be sure but to try it.  I wouldn't suggest anyone else go to the trouble.  I made an extension piece around 5 inches by 5 inches and retested.  I am still at 480 at the side 4 minutes in at a medium heat, so no improvement by adding the extension.  After playing around a while, it seems like how high you mount the lower stone may have a big impact on upper heat.  I have been setting it 1 inch above the lip ( I use the collar on the lower bearing - so I just prop some wood in front to hold the lower stone in place while tightening the collar )  I may drop down to 7/8 of an inch - due to the angle of the heat shield, at 1 inch, there is very little room for the heat to go up and heat the upper stone, at it nearly rubs the heat shield towards the back.   

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1345 on: July 20, 2013, 12:48:43 PM »
If nothing else...that shield extension should help keep the exterior wall a bit cooler maybe.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #1346 on: July 20, 2013, 12:55:11 PM »
We have Norma on our team now!  ;D. Welcome Norma, the temp is plenty warm in here.

Nice work Barry!  I like it.   I also like how you lowered the heat shield to redirect more of the flame.   Might I suggest you extend that piece upwards to protect the heat shield as well.   It will act as a shield to the heat shield.  Bravo for making the first cut.

Chau

Offline pt

« Reply #1347 on: July 20, 2013, 01:13:29 PM »
Norma, I have been following your posts for a long time so I am looking forward to the pizzas you make in the BS.   :D

Offline communist

« Reply #1348 on: July 20, 2013, 02:16:26 PM »
  More good looking pizza   :chef:
Thanks Comrade!
Nice leoparding Comrade!  Very good looking pizzas and I bet they tasted great too.

Regards,

TinRoof
Thanks for the compliments Tin.  I need a metal peel, the doming is burning up my wood peel.  Mark

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #1349 on: July 20, 2013, 02:21:14 PM »
Thanks Comrade!Thanks for the compliments Tin.  I need a metal peel, the doming is burning up my wood peel.  Mark

This is the one I bought for the oven. I purely bought it on price and I have no issues with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Metal-P631-4-Inch-Aluminum/dp/B005616P1G/ref=sr_1_10?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1374344411&sr=1-10&keywords=metal+peel

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #1350 on: July 20, 2013, 02:37:28 PM »
Does anyone in Hawaii have a BS?

Shipping is not free to hawaii so just wondering if anyone knows when Lowes or Ace will carry this oven.

Probably never. They would be afraid of the potential liability of selling them.  This will always be a small time product I would think. 

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #1351 on: July 20, 2013, 02:38:02 PM »
Thanks Comrade!Thanks for the compliments Tin.  I need a metal peel, the doming is burning up my wood peel.  Mark

Mine too. It's getting burned all around the edges. 

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #1352 on: July 20, 2013, 02:42:25 PM »
Dave, I had the same thought, but no way to be sure but to try it.  I wouldn't suggest anyone else go to the trouble.  I made an extension piece around 5 inches by 5 inches and retested.  I am still at 480 at the side 4 minutes in at a medium heat, so no improvement by adding the extension.  After playing around a while, it seems like how high you mount the lower stone may have a big impact on upper heat.  I have been setting it 1 inch above the lip ( I use the collar on the lower bearing - so I just prop some wood in front to hold the lower stone in place while tightening the collar )  I may drop down to 7/8 of an inch - due to the angle of the heat shield, at 1 inch, there is very little room for the heat to go up and heat the upper stone, at it nearly rubs the heat shield towards the back.

Barry, what would you think about adding a little metal pocket above the burner where you could put in some damp wood chips to get a wood fire aroma?  I've been thinking that might be a nice addition. 

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #1353 on: July 20, 2013, 02:44:25 PM »
Barry, what would you think about adding a little metal pocket above the burner where you could put in some damp wood chips to get a wood fire aroma?  I've been thinking that might be a nice addition.

I think I remember reading on here before someone saying that wood flavor can't be imparted in under 2 minutes. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #1354 on: July 20, 2013, 02:55:20 PM »
I think I remember reading on here before someone saying that wood flavor can't be imparted in under 2 minutes. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

That's true.  I have not noticed any flavor difference between a WFO pizza one from a LP oven. 

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #1355 on: July 20, 2013, 03:24:11 PM »
Chau,  I would have extended the shield, but I cut it to be the size of your heat deflector mod first, so I would have to cut another piece of stainless steel stock.  Right now it ends just above the bottom stone, I will probably move it up a few inches, since it didn't make much difference.  Tinroofrusted, I had not thought about a metal box for a smoker, but did think about putting a piece of metal say 4 inches by 4 inches  or 5 by 5 on a rod through the front of the oven with the metal piece normally facing straight up and down , and if I centered it over the burner, I could turn it one way to deflect more of the heat to the top, and turn it slightly the other way to deflect more of the heat to the bottom stone,  sort of like a damper in a duct housing, but haven't got around to that.  I did use a few scraps to mimic Chau's heat deflector - though I only went about 4 1/2 inches deep -  I wanted to come up with some way to adjust it between pies to fine tune,  so with a metal rod, I can probably push the fingers either forward or back, which might impact the heat being directed to the rim.   Made a test pie using white flour, and not very good results.  I had warmed it up at medium for 10 minutes,  and the bottom stone was at 725, and the top was just over 900,  so I turned it down to let the heat soak in for about 5 minutes, and when I came back the bottom stone was around 850, and the top read ERR ( my IR goes to 932 F).  I should have turned it down even more and let it cool down, but I went ahead and launched a pie -  the Chau heat deflectors were an improvement over my last attempt since it didn't burn the cheese, but the bottom starting burning well before the cheese started toasting, so I took it off and put it on a screen, and put it in again to get the top a little browned.  Also did a rookie mistake in that I did not turn up the heat after I put the pie in. I had taken out the stainless steel washers under the bottom pie before this bake, will put them back in and try again tonight.   The steel you see to the right side of the opening is some very thin gutter shield, that I trimmed to try to minimize the heat roaring out the front when I load the pie.  I use the super peel, which I love, but you hand gets pretty close to the front of the opening which is pretty hot and this was an attempt to cut that down a bit - not sure it helped.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 03:25:59 PM by barryvabeach »

Offline communist

« Reply #1356 on: July 20, 2013, 03:35:49 PM »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1357 on: July 20, 2013, 05:35:06 PM »
Barry, good picture of the extension. 
how high you mount the lower stone may have a big impact on upper heat.

I've been thinking about that also because the flame expands out as it rises from the jet burner, but the walls close sloping in from the sides.  I haven't fiddled with it enough, but I agree stone clearance is a factor.

Another factor is the size of the pie.  A bigger pie is closer to the side with the roaring flame and therefore it should char faster.  I've seen this even with smaller pies, placed off center where the part of the pie closest to the edge of the stone gets char faster.

Dave

Offline redox

« Reply #1358 on: July 20, 2013, 07:21:36 PM »
My first use of my BS oven and my second try at a NY pie. I'm still having problems opening up the dough, I need to make 3 at a time in case of mistakes. My dome thermometer was only reading 380, that can't be right. My IR gun was showing 659 on the deck and TOO HIGH (689F max) on the upper stone. I just used Classico crushed tomatoes drained to thicken them with 1 tsp sugar and a tsp of pizza seasonings. My wife was surprised how good the tomatoes were.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1359 on: July 20, 2013, 07:23:59 PM »
Quote from: Jackie Tran link=topic=25127.msg267163#msg267163 date=1374339311
We have Norma on our team now!  ;D. Welcome Norma, the temp is plenty warm in here.

Chau
[/quote

I know the temp is plenty warm in the BS.  >:D Thanks for the welcome.  I only hope I can do the BS justice like you and the other members are doing. 

Norma, I have been following your posts for a long time so I am looking forward to the pizzas you make in the BS.   :D

pt,

Thanks!  I am also looking forward to see what I can do with the BS.

Norma

I wonder if I should take my BS out of the box tomorrow at Cabela's or do you guys think it will be okay if the box isn't damaged in any way.  I worry about the stones. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 07:27:07 PM by norma427 »