Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 289501 times)

nythincrust11 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline barryvabeach

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #2720 on: September 18, 2013, 08:47:50 AM »
Tony,  I turn off the table, launch the pie, and turn it right back on.  Someone else had suggested wiring a switch for the motor, so on mine, it is right next to the control knob.  It usually only takes a few seconds to launch the pie, so I don't turn down the flame, but that would be a good idea as well, especially since so much heat pours out the front of the oven.  Do you have another peel to retrieve?  Any metal or wooden peel should work for that.

Online jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2721 on: September 19, 2013, 11:10:06 AM »
I have almost enough saved for the purchase of a Blackstone oven. I was just curious has there been any more issues with the flames shooting out?
I just read an article on a propane tank exploding and killing a person. Now I'm nervous about the purchasing one since some ovens had flames shooting out.

Thanks

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2722 on: September 19, 2013, 11:59:51 AM »
Tony,  I turn off the table, launch the pie, and turn it right back on.  Someone else had suggested wiring a switch for the motor, so on mine, it is right next to the control knob.  It usually only takes a few seconds to launch the pie, so I don't turn down the flame, but that would be a good idea as well, especially since so much heat pours out the front of the oven.  Do you have another peel to retrieve?  Any metal or wooden peel should work for that.

Thanks. Yes, I guess I'm a "peelaholic" ;) I have a number of wooden and metal ones. In the past I have used the metal ones with the 2Stone since they were thinner and I didn't scrape off the toppings launching. Now I'll either use a wooden one or the Superpeel for launching and a metal one for retrieving. I may need a larger one, however, since I have been limited in size to about 10 inch pizze by the 2Stone.

I have the motor plugged into a power strip right next to where I have the oven so I can just reach over and turn it off that way.

And, last night, my new Bosch Universal was delivered so I'll be using that today to make dough for experimenting on the family Saturday!

I realized though, that, at almost 70, I can't really "amortize" the investment in these things. :D Oh, well, they can be "passed down" to the children! And, in the meantime, I can have fun -- AND pizza! I probably have another good year or two in me.

Ciao,

Tony

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2723 on: September 19, 2013, 12:03:46 PM »
I have almost enough saved for the purchase of a Blackstone oven. I was just curious has there been any more issues with the flames shooting out?  I just read an article on a propane tank exploding and killing a person. Now I'm nervous about the purchasing one since some ovens had flames shooting out.
Thanks

I think you are wise to be mindful of safety with regards to propane and especially with powerful setups like the Blackstone.  A typical grill, even a large one, operates at a gas pressure near 1psi, the Blackstone operates at 10psi (11 actually with my measurement).  We have written about BS grill safety several times before on this thread, on "Blackstone Mods and Adjustments", and a few others.

It is always a good idea to sniff around near the underside of the grill on a calm day.  Propane is easy to smell.  Propane is heavier than air so it falls toward the floor from the leak location.  Also, have a spray bottle of soapy water handy and test the fittings after assembly, every so often, or when you suspect something.  I smelled a little propane on a calm day and found it to be a very small (few bubble) leak - so it doesn't take much to notice.

Regarding your specific "flames shooting out" concern, I have two posts where owners that are somewhat handy with tools can detect and fix their problems. 

This post deals with leaks in piping (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26507.msg273659.html#msg273659). 

This post deals with leaks inside the valve body itself (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26507.msg279722.html#msg279722).

Dave
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 01:30:10 PM by Tampa »

Online jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2724 on: September 19, 2013, 12:12:10 PM »
I think you are wise to be mindful of safety with regards to propane and especially with powerful setups like the Blackstone.  A typical grill, even a large one, operates at a gas pressure near 1psi, the Blackstone operates at 10psi (11 actually with my measurement).  We have written about BS grill safety several times before on this thread, on "Blackstone Mods and Adjustments", and a few others.

It is always a good idea to sniff around near the underside of the grill on a calm day.  Propane is easy to smell.  Propane is heavier than air so it falls toward the floor from the leak location.  Also, have a spray bottle of soapy water handy and test the fittings after assembly, every so often, or when you suspect something.  I smelled a little propane on a calm day and found it to be a very small (few bubble) leak - so it doesn't take much to notice.

Regarding your specific "flames shooting out" concern, I have two posts where owners that are somewhat handy with tools can detect and fix their problems. 

This post deals with leaks in piping (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26507.msg273659.html#msg273659). 

This post deals with leaks inside the valve body itself (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26507.msg279722.html#msg279722).
Dusen berry that is a nice looking dish you posted.  I sent you a personal message.

Dave

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I will be sure to look over the links. I should be a BS owner soon.

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2725 on: September 21, 2013, 01:20:37 AM »
EMERGENCY DOUGH IN THE BLACKSTONE
Just getting over the Montezuma's Revenge for a week.  Got an itch for a pie and no dough ready tonight.  So, I looked up Peter's list of Emergency doughs and picked the first NY style on his list, for no other reason that it was first. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg27251.html#msg27251    Reply 407

My flour was the Smart & Final store brand LaRomanella approx 13.3% gluten (malted)

I started the dough mixing before 7:00 pm, 8 mins in the KA standmixer, 5 mins hand stretch and fold, 5 mins rest, repeat for a total of three 5 minute stretch and fold sessions, form a ball, place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a towel at room temp (74F ish).   (I started with 95F water).  2 hr fermentation at room temp, carefully hand stretched to a 13" ish pie.  Topped with EVOO brushed lightly to prevent soggy center (except cornice), Classico jar sauce, buffalo mozz, fresh cut pepperoni.  Slight amount of regular flour on a wood peel and some semolina too. 

Fired the Blackstone up about 10 mins before launch and set on low (I'm getting faster at making a pie :chef:). 

The dough was very extensible and not too elastic.  Just about right, if I knew what "right" was  ??? ;D.  It made for the easiest opening pie I've made to date and it was easy to keep uniform thickness.  Very nice.  :chef:

Came out to a 650F lower stone.  Turned up the BSO to WFO for about 4-5 mins, checking lower stone temp by going to low burner to reduce measurement error.  Launched at 750F lower, 770F dome, burner on low.  Turned up the burner to WFO at about 30 seconds and left it there for approx 45-60 seconds, watching the color of the cornice and center (Lets just call that "Blackstone doming").  Reduced heat to low for remainder with a total time of approx 2 mins 15-20 secs.   

The pie was very nice.  I think it would stand up well to the 24 hr ferment pies.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 02:05:34 AM by bbqchuck »

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2726 on: September 21, 2013, 07:34:28 AM »
Did you find it to be chewy at all?  When using high gluten high protein flours I need to keep the mix times quite a bit shorter to avoid being chewy. But I am wondering what difference the short ferment plays.

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2727 on: September 21, 2013, 10:24:09 AM »
The texture was very much like the long ferments.  Not overly chewy at all.  But not as tender as a 24 hr ferment NY Lehman baked at 800F either. I've noted a marked increase in tenderness as baking temperature goes up, with he same dough.  So, this dough may get more tough at a lower temp bake.   Maybe Peter or the other experienced guys can elaborate on that.

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2728 on: September 21, 2013, 10:34:48 AM »
Maybe someone can explain the basic effects of the fermentation and working the dough.

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2729 on: September 21, 2013, 11:28:23 AM »
Nice looking pizza, there. I finally get to use mine tonight. The dough has been in fridge for about two days.

But what is wrong with your stone? It doesn't look like it has three pieces like mine.  ;D

Ciao,

Tony

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2730 on: September 21, 2013, 11:37:28 AM »
I think the 3 piece stone was an extra cost.  >:D ;D

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2731 on: September 21, 2013, 12:34:37 PM »
I think the 3 piece stone was an extra cost.  >:D ;D

LOL!

Now I know why it took so long to get the oven.  Special order!  :-X

Offline communist

« Reply #2732 on: September 21, 2013, 06:13:12 PM »
Fourteen NY pies at noon for marching band with Blackstone

Offline communist

« Reply #2733 on: September 21, 2013, 08:28:33 PM »
I am making 13.5 inch pies for my Blackstone I usually make a 16 inch NY pie on steel in my home oven.  I want a bigger pie in my Blackstone - who out there is launching bigger pies?  How big and is it difficult?

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2734 on: September 21, 2013, 09:06:08 PM »
Check with Norma. If I remember correctly, she launched (successfully) a 16" NY style into her Blackstone. There's a few pics out there and if I can find them I'm post the link. Take care!

Jim

Edit:  Found it, but here ya' go, scroll down 3/4 of the page…

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26483.80.html
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:11:00 PM by red kiosk »
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2735 on: September 21, 2013, 09:57:48 PM »
I am making 13.5 inch pies for my Blackstone I usually make a 16 inch NY pie on steel in my home oven.  I want a bigger pie in my Blackstone - who out there is launching bigger pies?  How big and is it difficult?

Mark,

In addition to those 16” pizza made in the BS, 15” ones can easily be made.  Some of mine where over 15” at Reply 199 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26483.msg279107.html#msg279107 and the next posts.  It was not difficult at all with the 16” wooden peel.  The front part of the wooden peel hits the heat shield and then you just slide the pie off. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2736 on: September 22, 2013, 08:39:04 AM »
  It was not difficult at all with the 16” wooden peel.  The front part of the wooden peel hits the heat shield and then you just slide the pie off. 
Norma
See Mark, it is just that easy ;D.  Some people struggle with bigger pies (15+") more than smaller ones.  The BS stone is 16.5" so with 15+" pies there is little room for error - you kind of want to land it in the middle otherwise the part hanging over the edge likes to get torched during the go-around.  If so, you'll be tempted to scoot the pie over in 30 seconds or less (one revolution), but that might be a mistake because the underside isn't cooked enough so there is risk of cutting the skin with the turning peel.  I'm told that cutting the skin can spill the contents of the pie onto the hot stone and create a mess which takes about 10 minutes on high to burn off.  (I'm trying to remember who taught me that ::))

Here are some tips for throwing bigger pies.  I'm sure there are more, but this is a start.
  • Thicker skins are preferred to thinner (see-through) skins
  • Lower hydration preferred over higher hydration
  • Well-floured peel
  • If the wood peel is rough, sand it smooth
  • Lower temperature & longer bakes (to avoid scorching the excess flour/semolina)
  • Ingredients that don't roll off easily are preferred to round meatballs and whole olives
  • Give the handle a quick side-to-side shake before launch to confirm the pie slips
  • Rotisserie off
  • And Norma's suggestion to tap the back heat shield with the peel as you launch is a great idea

Offline communist

« Reply #2737 on: September 22, 2013, 11:16:04 AM »
Check with Norma. If I remember correctly, she launched (successfully) a 16" NY style into her Blackstone. There's a few pics out there and if I can find them I'm post the link. Take care!

Jim

Thank you Jim!
Mark,

In addition to those 16” pizza made in the BS, 15” ones can easily be made.  Some of mine where over 15” at Reply 199 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26483.msg279107.html#msg279107 and the next posts.  It was not difficult at all with the 16” wooden peel.  The front part of the wooden peel hits the heat shield and then you just slide the pie off. 

Norma
Thank you Norma.  I looked over your work flow and it is very helpful!

Great tips and information Dave - 15 inches here I come!

Offline iRobertO

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2738 on: September 23, 2013, 12:59:17 AM »
I have almost enough saved for the purchase of a Blackstone oven. I was just curious has there been any more issues with the flames shooting out?
I just read an article on a propane tank exploding and killing a person. Now I'm nervous about the purchasing one since some ovens had flames shooting out.

Thanks

When I have the regulator all the way up and the front knob med/high to high I will hear the normal roar of the flames and then a POP and the roar gets a bit quieter. It's at this point that I see a secondary flame coming from inside that is clearly behind the control knob. This is sometimes accompanied with a third flame coming out the front of the knob. I dial back the regulator knob to low, it fixes it and I turn it back up, but not all the way. Haven't had time to look into it much further. And the flame out the knob happened to me day 1 on my very first firing.

iRobertO

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2739 on: September 23, 2013, 08:45:03 AM »
When I have the regulator all the way up and the front knob med/high to high I will hear the normal roar of the flames and then a POP and the roar gets a bit quieter. It's at this point that I see a secondary flame coming from inside that is clearly behind the control knob. This is sometimes accompanied with a third flame coming out the front of the knob. I dial back the regulator knob to low, it fixes it and I turn it back up, but not all the way. Haven't had time to look into it much further. And the flame out the knob happened to me day 1 on my very first firing.
iRobertO

If I'm understanding your post correctly, I wouldn't mess with it.  Call BS/Griddle Guru and ask for an exchange.  If you are handy, and like doing a bit of work, I begin addressing problems with the dial valve (AKA gas cock) here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26507.msg279722.html#msg279722.  You'll want to read the next page of posts as well for an update.
Dave

pizzapan