Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 616260 times)

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #2700 on: September 14, 2013, 06:30:59 PM »
Atalbert,  I don't think I have read about anyone using a different stone.  While you might find one that is the right size,  if it is cordierite, it might be too conductive ( burning the bottom before the top is done)  Generally you can use a broken stone on the bottom unless it is in a bunch of pieces, or there are gaps.

Thanks. I'm not sure what the stone is made of. Do you know what the Blackstone bottom stone is made from? I thought it was cordierite.

Tony

Offline Dusen berry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2701 on: September 14, 2013, 07:18:29 PM »
I tried that raise bottom stone it worked just fine but it was much heavier.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #2702 on: September 14, 2013, 10:02:45 PM »
Tony, pretty sure it is not cordierite,  I have a number of cordierite stones and they are more efficient at transmitting heat than the BS -  I usually load a pie on the BS with the lower stone 100 degrees or more above what I would use for a cordierite stone.

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2703 on: September 14, 2013, 10:36:21 PM »
I tried that raise bottom stone it worked just fine but it was much heavier.

Thanks. Did you notice any difference in the cooking of the top?

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2704 on: September 14, 2013, 10:41:05 PM »
Tony, pretty sure it is not cordierite,  I have a number of cordierite stones and they are more efficient at transmitting heat than the BS -  I usually load a pie on the BS with the lower stone 100 degrees or more above what I would use for a cordierite stone.

Thanks.

I would think that the cooking would be essentially equivalent if the stone temps were the same. Of course, that doesn't take into account the cooling effect of the dough being placed on the stone and the need for it to reheat.

The info on the stone on Amazon said it was good to 1450 degrees F. I might just give it a try if it takes too long to get a replacement stone from Blackstone. After all, it is only money and I am independently wealthy. (that, of course, is a blatant lie, but I wish it were true! :-) )

Ciao!

Tony

Offline DenaliPete

« Reply #2705 on: September 15, 2013, 12:26:20 AM »
Thanks.

I would think that the cooking would be essentially equivalent if the stone temps were the same. Of course, that doesn't take into account the cooling effect of the dough being placed on the stone and the need for it to reheat.

The info on the stone on Amazon said it was good to 1450 degrees F. I might just give it a try if it takes too long to get a replacement stone from Blackstone. After all, it is only money and I am independently wealthy. (that, of course, is a blatant lie, but I wish it were true! :-) )

Ciao!

Tony

The cooking will only be equivalent if the stone materials are the same.  Different materials conduct or transfer the heat differently.  Part of the reason that the blackstone works so well is because the material doesn't transfer heat efficiently.  Old stone oven tiles transfer heat very  quickly.  I used to use one in my LBE, but had to change over to firebrick because the cordierite was just too efficient.

Offline okpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2706 on: September 15, 2013, 12:45:48 AM »
Excited when new oven arrived in just 4 days and fully expected a cracked stone after reading other post. I was not let down and the lower stone was cracked.  The build quality seems decent but product packaging is awful. My unit had several areas damage or scrapped.  I realize this is not a $2000 pizza oven but it should arrive in near new condition.

Damaged parts:

One post where the legs are to be inserted was crinkled closed with the finish missing, the whole unit appeared to be bent, one side tray had damage, the handles were difficult to put on because the unit was out of its original shape, several places have scratches or dents and the turntable has a significant wobble. Unsure if the wobble will effect cooking. There were no directions to adjust the lower stone but as shipped the lower stone laid directly on the stainless steal unit and could not spin. I used a Alan wrench to adjust the round device on the shaft so I hope this was the correct thing to do.

I'm sure they will replace the stone but they really should consider improving the packaging. I feel like I'm started off with a used unit....

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #2707 on: September 15, 2013, 08:16:24 AM »
Packing could be improved, but it would drive up the costs probably $15 to $30.  A slight wobble is no problem, some  bend the post  to try to reduce the wobble.  Setting the height of the platter is addressed here  http://www.pizzawiki.info/index.php?title=Adjusting_the_Gap_between_the_Upper_and_Lower_Stones     Some put the collar on the lower bearing, some put it on the upper fixed bushing.  http://www.pizzawiki.info/index.php?title=Bearing_Mod

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2708 on: September 15, 2013, 09:58:34 AM »
The cooking will only be equivalent if the stone materials are the same.  Different materials conduct or transfer the heat differently.  Part of the reason that the blackstone works so well is because the material doesn't transfer heat efficiently.  Old stone oven tiles transfer heat very  quickly.  I used to use one in my LBE, but had to change over to firebrick because the cordierite was just too efficient.

Interesting. One would intuitively equate efficiency with being better. But, obviously, that doesn't take into account that if the stone is "too efficient" it can cook the bottom too quickly.

Thanks for the comment. I'm coming from the background of using a 2stone Pizza Grill insert.

Tony

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2709 on: September 15, 2013, 10:07:05 AM »
Packing could be improved, but it would drive up the costs probably $15 to $30.  A slight wobble is no problem, some  bend the post  to try to reduce the wobble.  Setting the height of the platter is addressed here  http://www.pizzawiki.info/index.php?title=Adjusting_the_Gap_between_the_Upper_and_Lower_Stones     Some put the collar on the lower bearing, some put it on the upper fixed bushing.  http://www.pizzawiki.info/index.php?title=Bearing_Mod

I can't believe it would cost that much. And, if only the bottom stone were done it certainly wouldn't. Besides, how much money is Blackstone spending now on replacing things? Leaving out, of course, customer annoyance.  ;)

Prior to ordering one I looked at the comments on this board. Initially there was skepticism but that soon changed to comments on how well it worked. I'm a physician and not a business man but I would think that getting your product to the consumer intact would be a good practice. It sounds like a number of folks on this board have a lot of experience making pizza and with different ways of doing so. It might behove Blackstone to pay some attention to them.

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven - Legs
« Reply #2710 on: September 15, 2013, 04:02:25 PM »
I'm not sure that I've seen worse assembly directions.

The parts list shows the legs with a braked wheel on each. The picture on the box and front of the manual shows the braked wheels in front (which is the way it would go if the parts were as listed). However, the actual legs have both braked wheels on one and the non-braked wheels on another. And that is the way the instructions show them being inserted -- braked wheels on right and non on left.

Actually, we figured out that indeed the braked wheels go on the right. Still, seems strange but maybe having both brakes on the front wasn't a good idea.

Now to move on to the next steps. And, thanks to the folks who have commented on how to put the collar on the turntable. I now see what they mean about  how it is positioned for shipping. Of course, I can't seem to find any allen head that will fit the thing. It does appear to be a hex screw. Am I mistaken or just don't have the correct size allen wrench? Is the bloody thing metric?

Tony
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 04:42:52 PM by atalbert »

Offline redox

« Reply #2711 on: September 15, 2013, 04:16:33 PM »
I'm not sure that I've seen worse assembly directions.

The parts list shows the legs with a braked wheel on each. The picture on the box and front of the manual shows the braked wheels in front (which is the way it would go if the parts were as listed). However, the actual legs have both braked wheels on one and the non-braked wheels on another. And that is the way the instructions show them being inserted -- braked wheels on right and non on left.

Actually, we figured out that indeed the braked wheels go on the right. Still, seems strange but maybe having both brakes on the front wasn't a good idea.

Now to move on to the next steps. And, thanks to the folks who have commented on how to put the collar on the turntable. I now see what they mean about  how it is positioned for shipping.

Tony
To make it even more confusing, griddleguru.com shows on their website the BS with the braked wheels on the left.  :-D
I installed the braked wheels on the right and I have no trouble with the grill moving when the wheels are locked.

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2712 on: September 15, 2013, 04:32:30 PM »
To make it even more confusing, griddleguru.com shows on their website the BS with the braked wheels on the left.  :-D
I installed the braked wheels on the right and I have no trouble with the grill moving when the wheels are locked.

Thanks. As I installed the legs it did appear that the left and right could be interchanged.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to loosen the collar on the turntable as I wrote a bit ago.

Tony

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2713 on: September 15, 2013, 07:36:03 PM »

Now I'm trying to figure out how to loosen the collar on the turntable as I wrote a bit ago.

Tony

Tony,

The allen wrench is metric.  I forget what size, but I just took the bottom platter with the collar on to the hardware store.  :-D  They fixed me up.  I can post a photo of the allen wrench, but don't think that will help you any.

Maybe someone that does know the size of the allen wrench will reply.

Norma

Edit:  I just searched this thread and Barry said the collar takes a 3mm allen wrench at Reply 2423 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25127.msg274607.html#msg274607

You can search for anything right in the top on the search function of any thread.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 07:45:54 PM by norma427 »

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2714 on: September 15, 2013, 08:09:39 PM »
Tony,

The allen wrench is metric.  I forget what size, but I just took the bottom platter with the collar on to the hardware store.  :-D  They fixed me up.  I can post a photo of the allen wrench, but don't think that will help you any.

Maybe someone that does know the size of the allen wrench will reply.

Norma

Edit:  I just searched this thread and Barry said the collar takes a 3mm allen wrench at Reply 2423 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25127.msg274607.html#msg274607

You can search for anything right in the top on the search function of any thread.

Norma,

Thanks for the info and, particularly, for taking your time to find it!  :)

I asked my son-in-law if he had some. He couldn't find  his set (they just moved into the house next door) but had some misc ones in a bag. Lo and behold, one fit. And, interestingly, it was one that looked like one of the ones from assembling furniture. I probably can find one around here late.

I finally got the darned thing put together. Next to the collar problem, the hardest part was the lower tray. I tried multiple ways to get it to seat and finally did. The thermometer (which I will probably never really use) was also interesting since the instructions said to install it after the top was put on. Of course, one cannot reach behind the hole to do that  ;D. Thank goodness the top comes off so easily. Still, maybe the instructions should have called for the installation of the thermometer before putting the top on?

I sure hope the oven works better than the instructions are written  :D

Now to buy a propane tank and check it out (my Weber is natural gas)

Ciao e mille grazie!

Tony

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2715 on: September 15, 2013, 08:28:50 PM »
Norma,

Thanks for the info and, particularly, for taking your time to find it!  :)

I asked my son-in-law if he had some. He couldn't find  his set (they just moved into the house next door) but had some misc ones in a bag. Lo and behold, one fit. And, interestingly, it was one that looked like one of the ones from assembling furniture. I probably can find one around here late.

I finally got the darned thing put together. Next to the collar problem, the hardest part was the lower tray. I tried multiple ways to get it to seat and finally did. The thermometer (which I will probably never really use) was also interesting since the instructions said to install it after the top was put on. Of course, one cannot reach behind the hole to do that  ;D. Thank goodness the top comes off so easily. Still, maybe the instructions should have called for the installation of the thermometer before putting the top on?

I sure hope the oven works better than the instructions are written  :D

Now to buy a propane tank and check it out (my Weber is natural gas)

Ciao e mille grazie!

Tony

Tony,

Your welcome anytime.  Great to hear your son-in-law had some misc allen wrenches in a bag and one fit.  I had more problems than most members did on assembling my BS because I am not that diy inclined.  My thread about putting mine together and I had the aluminum top for the top stone sticking out at first.  :-D My top of the BS is not easy to put on like some members tops are. 

That top thermometer never tells the correct temperature and I don't know what where thinking of installing it there either. 

The BS does work good.  I am sure you will really like it.  Have fun.

Norma

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2716 on: September 15, 2013, 09:42:11 PM »
Norma,

Thanks again. I do appreciate your time. Now to make some dough and jump in!

Offline alconnell

« Reply #2717 on: September 17, 2013, 01:22:42 PM »
Well I got my new stone from BS today - looks like they are spending more time on packaging, but I was still surprised to find very little packing when I opened the box.  However, my new stone is in one piece! ;D 

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
It's put together! AND it works!
« Reply #2718 on: September 17, 2013, 03:22:54 PM »
Well, I got the oven assembled, bought a propane tank yesterday, and tested the oven out today!

It is amazing. I started it relatively low -- I would guess, looking at the flame, about 50% of it's output and the stones went to 600 and 550 degrees (top and bottom respectively) within about 15 minutes! Wow!

I plan on making some dough tomorrow and refrigerating it until Saturday and then make the family guinea pigs!  ;)

Unless someone tells me that I am making a serious error, my plan is to - after the oven warms -- turn down the flame, stop the stone, launce the pizza with a Superpeel, restart the turntable, and turn the heat back up. Any advice/suggestions/comments from folks who have been using the oven for a while would be appreciated.

BTW, I emailed Blackstone customer support about the broken stone and jagged edge top and had a reply within 24 hours. They said that they probably wouldn't have replacement stones available for about two weeks but that I could use the cracked one in the meantime.

Can't wait to "Feed the Beast" (meaning, of course, the oven, not my wife  ;D )

Ciao,

Tony

Offline Dusen berry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2719 on: September 17, 2013, 10:05:23 PM »
I cooked for my husband and I asparagus stuffed chicken and stuffed mushrooms tonight in our new BS patio oven. It was great! Saving left over chicken for a chicken Alfredo pizza tomorrow! Here are some :chef: new pictures

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #2720 on: September 18, 2013, 08:47:50 AM »
Tony,  I turn off the table, launch the pie, and turn it right back on.  Someone else had suggested wiring a switch for the motor, so on mine, it is right next to the control knob.  It usually only takes a few seconds to launch the pie, so I don't turn down the flame, but that would be a good idea as well, especially since so much heat pours out the front of the oven.  Do you have another peel to retrieve?  Any metal or wooden peel should work for that.

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2721 on: September 19, 2013, 11:10:06 AM »
I have almost enough saved for the purchase of a Blackstone oven. I was just curious has there been any more issues with the flames shooting out?
I just read an article on a propane tank exploding and killing a person. Now I'm nervous about the purchasing one since some ovens had flames shooting out.

Thanks

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2722 on: September 19, 2013, 11:59:51 AM »
Tony,  I turn off the table, launch the pie, and turn it right back on.  Someone else had suggested wiring a switch for the motor, so on mine, it is right next to the control knob.  It usually only takes a few seconds to launch the pie, so I don't turn down the flame, but that would be a good idea as well, especially since so much heat pours out the front of the oven.  Do you have another peel to retrieve?  Any metal or wooden peel should work for that.

Thanks. Yes, I guess I'm a "peelaholic" ;) I have a number of wooden and metal ones. In the past I have used the metal ones with the 2Stone since they were thinner and I didn't scrape off the toppings launching. Now I'll either use a wooden one or the Superpeel for launching and a metal one for retrieving. I may need a larger one, however, since I have been limited in size to about 10 inch pizze by the 2Stone.

I have the motor plugged into a power strip right next to where I have the oven so I can just reach over and turn it off that way.

And, last night, my new Bosch Universal was delivered so I'll be using that today to make dough for experimenting on the family Saturday!

I realized though, that, at almost 70, I can't really "amortize" the investment in these things. :D Oh, well, they can be "passed down" to the children! And, in the meantime, I can have fun -- AND pizza! I probably have another good year or two in me.

Ciao,

Tony

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2723 on: September 19, 2013, 12:03:46 PM »
I have almost enough saved for the purchase of a Blackstone oven. I was just curious has there been any more issues with the flames shooting out?  I just read an article on a propane tank exploding and killing a person. Now I'm nervous about the purchasing one since some ovens had flames shooting out.
Thanks
I think you are wise to be mindful of safety with regards to propane and especially with powerful setups like the Blackstone.  A typical grill, even a large one, operates at a gas pressure near 1psi, the Blackstone operates at 10psi (11 actually with my measurement).  We have written about BS grill safety several times before on this thread, on "Blackstone Mods and Adjustments", and a few others.

It is always a good idea to sniff around near the underside of the grill on a calm day.  Propane is easy to smell.  Propane is heavier than air so it falls toward the floor from the leak location.  Also, have a spray bottle of soapy water handy and test the fittings after assembly, every so often, or when you suspect something.  I smelled a little propane on a calm day and found it to be a very small (few bubble) leak - so it doesn't take much to notice.

Regarding your specific "flames shooting out" concern, I have two posts where owners that are somewhat handy with tools can detect and fix their problems. 

This post deals with leaks in piping (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26507.msg273659.html#msg273659). 

This post deals with leaks inside the valve body itself (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26507.msg279722.html#msg279722).

Dave
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 01:30:10 PM by Tampa »

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2724 on: September 19, 2013, 12:12:10 PM »
I think you are wise to be mindful of safety with regards to propane and especially with powerful setups like the Blackstone.  A typical grill, even a large one, operates at a gas pressure near 1psi, the Blackstone operates at 10psi (11 actually with my measurement).  We have written about BS grill safety several times before on this thread, on "Blackstone Mods and Adjustments", and a few others.

It is always a good idea to sniff around near the underside of the grill on a calm day.  Propane is easy to smell.  Propane is heavier than air so it falls toward the floor from the leak location.  Also, have a spray bottle of soapy water handy and test the fittings after assembly, every so often, or when you suspect something.  I smelled a little propane on a calm day and found it to be a very small (few bubble) leak - so it doesn't take much to notice.

Regarding your specific "flames shooting out" concern, I have two posts where owners that are somewhat handy with tools can detect and fix their problems. 

This post deals with leaks in piping (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26507.msg273659.html#msg273659). 

This post deals with leaks inside the valve body itself (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26507.msg279722.html#msg279722).
Dusen berry that is a nice looking dish you posted.  I sent you a personal message.

Dave

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I will be sure to look over the links. I should be a BS owner soon.

pizzapan