Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 328659 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #3260 on: December 20, 2013, 11:48:04 AM »
  You may have to work the return/replacement through Cabelas, if not, the contact number for Blackstone is 435-252-3030. 

Dave
Thanks for putting this # up so quickly Dave....I have it filed now.  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline nataj

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3261 on: December 20, 2013, 01:20:39 PM »
I contacted them through email three days ago and still haven't gotten a reply. I may have to try their Facebook page next...

I attached some photos of the damage. The dents are not as noticeable in the photos as they are in person.

BS responded to my email immediately and the new stone was shipped by UPS to arrive on Monday. They asked me to take a picture as they are trying to work on these issues.
I didn't go back through Cabelas because everything else looks ok although I have not assembled it yet.
You look like you have way more of an issue then a cracked stone. I hope it goes well with you.
If I find anymore damage I will update here.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3262 on: December 20, 2013, 01:33:24 PM »
Tested out the Blackstone last night and it was excellent! I guess I need to invest in an IR gun though to read temps since I had no idea how hot it was getting.  Just for reference, with the 5 psig regulator and everything at full tilt, how hot should it get when running for 15-20 mins?
There are a lot of variables in your question (ambient temperature, measure location, modifications/not, etc.) but your stone should be between 650F and 750F after 15-20 minutes with 5psi assuming winter outdoor temps 40F - 60F.  The temperature gauge in the hood should read 350F - 400F.

A few tips/assumptions.  You need an IR gun to measure stone temp.  Measure three points - center of the stone, 1/2 between center and edge, and 1" from edge of stone.  Those measurements are from the center of the stone toward the center front edge (not the flame side and not the opposite heat/exhaust side).  Ideally the temperatures will be +/- 20 degrees F at various points on the stone.  The platter and rotisserie generally keep the temperature uniform, but if the readings are significantly different (e.g. +/- 50F) you may  see charred crust at the hotspot.  You will notice that the stone reads one temperature, then when you dial back the flame, the temp drops 25F - 50F.  I think that is a skin effect caused by flame/hot air impinging on the surface of the stone.  The real measure is what the stone will be when you throw the pie, i.e. with the flame dialed back.

Just trying to be helpful here and not overly complicate things.  Others may have different experiences. 

If you want to keep things simple in the beginning, pick up a fresh dough ball from your favorite supermarket.  Warm up the oven until the dome temperature gauge reads 350F - 400F (lower for lots of ingredients & slow bake, higher for cheese pizza & quick bake).  Use a cookie sheet to retrieve the pie when it looks done.  Enjoy.
Dave
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 01:42:48 PM by Tampa »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3263 on: December 20, 2013, 01:43:59 PM »
There are a lot of variables in your question (ambient temperature, measure location, modifications/not, etc.) but your stone should be between 650F and 750F after 15-20 minutes with 5psi assuming winter outdoor temps 40F - 60F.  The temperature gauge in the hood should read 400F +/- 50F
Dave
Boy...the 10psi sure makes a BIG difference. Dave, do you think a longer(lower flame setting)preheat,using 10psi regulator, would use much less fuel than a fast heat up at WOT?  Say...20-25 min. instead of 8-10.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 01:45:37 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline mopersinger

« Reply #3264 on: December 20, 2013, 02:31:25 PM »
Received mine from Cabelas yesterday.  After following this thread for awhile and jumping on the $299 deal I was pleased to find stones in good shape, 10psi regulator and everything in good shape.  I was out of town, but made sure my father in law who is visiting for the holidays met the UPS truck and helped them gently deliver it into the garage.  Now to get it set up and started.  Looking forward to seeing what it can do.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3265 on: December 20, 2013, 02:35:21 PM »
met the UPS truck and helped them gently deliver it into the garage.  Now to get it set up and started.  Looking forward to seeing what it can do.
Exactly what I did MoP.  ;)
Only took about half an hour to assemble....have a great time with your BS man!  :chef:

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3266 on: December 20, 2013, 03:37:10 PM »
Boy...the 10psi sure makes a BIG difference. Dave, do you think a longer(lower flame setting)preheat,using 10psi regulator, would use much less fuel than a fast heat up at WOT?  Say...20-25 min. instead of 8-10.
It has been a while since I did the comparison test between 5psi and 10psi.  In general, the 10 psi regulator wastes more fuel but comes up to temperature faster.  You mention 8-10 minutes and I'm not sure what temperature you are arriving at, where on the stone you are measuring, and what the steady-state temperature is after the flame is backed off a bit.  Most of my warm ups with 10psi are 10-12 minutes to reach steady state at 800ish F.  The 5 psi regulator in my oven takes not quite 2x as long to reach that temperature here in Tampa, w/o deflector, w/o glowbar, w/ flame backed off, w/ port & polish.  YMMV.
Dave

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3267 on: December 20, 2013, 03:58:29 PM »
It has been a while since I did the comparison test between 5psi and 10psi.  In general, the 10 psi regulator wastes more fuel but comes up to temperature faster.  You mention 8-10 minutes and I'm not sure what temperature you are arriving at, where on the stone you are measuring, and what the steady-state temperature is after the flame is backed off a bit.  Most of my warm ups with 10psi are 10-12 minutes to reach steady state at 800ish F.  The 5 psi regulator in my oven takes not quite 2x as long to reach that temperature here in Tampa, w/o deflector, w/o glowbar, w/ flame backed off, w/ port & polish.  YMMV.
Dave
I hear ya Dave...is that with oval or rectangle port heads?  ;D
Just realized my measurements are skewed cause I was doing preheat timings with a stoneless unit(for a lodge grill pan directly on rotating platter)...she got hot fast, platter was cherry red!  :-D

p.s.  and steak was black!   well, the first one anyway.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 04:06:36 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline xsosx

« Reply #3268 on: December 20, 2013, 04:19:14 PM »
Thanks for the pictures.  You may have to work the return/replacement through Cabelas, if not, the contact number for Blackstone is 435-252-3030. 

If it were me, I'd be making pizza until the new one arrives - you have the before pictures for proof if necessary.  IMO, everything is cosmetic except the leg, which is bent even worse than mine was.  I also had a bunch of issues including a cracked stone.  Fortunately the stone fits back together nicely in the platter and the resulting pizza(s) were unaffected.  (Scrape over the surface a few times to remove any loose bits and flame on.)
Dave
Thank you for the phone number. Blackstone replied to my email late last night. Chicago Bob getting involved must have helped.  ;D

I was going ignore the cosmetic issues and try to put it together, however, the broken off bracket seems to be to a vital piece because the heat shield will not sit in place properly without it. There are 3 sides that have a bracket (both sides and the back) and the one that broke off on mine is on the right side if you are facing the Blackstone. When I tried putting the heat shield on, it just falls over to that one side and then down into the base.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3269 on: December 20, 2013, 04:26:42 PM »
Thank you for the phone number. Blackstone replied to my email late last night. Chicago Bob getting involved must have helped.  ;D

I was going ignore the cosmetic issues and try to put it together, however, the broken off bracket seems to be to a vital piece because the heat shield will not sit in place properly without it. There are 3 sides that have a bracket (both sides and the back) and the one that broke off on mine is on the right side if you are facing the Blackstone. When I tried putting the heat shield on, it just falls over to that one side and then down into the base.
I do what I gotta do my friend....no problemski.   8)

Now...you wouldn't happen to have a "free shipping and handling" certificate for Penn Mac would you?  :-D
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 04:33:31 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline kerrymarcy

• I can't and won't stop eating pizza!
« Reply #3270 on: December 20, 2013, 09:24:35 PM »
Tested out the Blackstone last night and it was excellent! I guess I need to invest in an IR gun though to read temps since I had no idea how hot it was getting.  Just for reference, with the 5 psig regulator and everything at full tilt, how hot should it get when running for 15-20 mins?

Tom1L21,

I have a 5psi regulator and last night with a temperature in my garage of 32 degrees, with regulator at full throttle it took about 17 1/2 minutes to get to about 650 (better than a few days ago when it took over 25 minutes but didn't have the gauge maxed-out).  Definitely get yourself a IR gun.

This is the one I have- goes a little over 1000 degrees.  Got mine for $40.00 and free shipping.  Sorry if I'm a little late with this post!

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-LT-02-Laser-Surface-Thermometer/dp/B000FA933K/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Kerry

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3271 on: December 20, 2013, 09:31:20 PM »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3272 on: December 21, 2013, 05:11:47 AM »
This one measures to 1382....$30 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-read-Thermometer-Non-contact-Temperature-Fahrenheit/dp/B00DMI62HM/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Thanks for the link.  I've been using the Harbor Freight IR gun for several years (about the same price), and it only goes to 968F.  A few times I've maxed it out and the reading is double zeros.  Can't have that.   :-D  The stone is durable (and really clean afterward), but if you see 00 on the HF IR display, it isn't an indication that it is OK to throw a 00 pie - trust me.
Dave

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3273 on: December 21, 2013, 09:59:54 AM »
Thanks for the link.  I've been using the Harbor Freight IR gun for several years (about the same price), and it only goes to 968F.  A few times I've maxed it out and the reading is double zeros.  Can't have that.   :-D  The stone is durable (and really clean afterward), but if you see 00 on the HF IR display, it isn't an indication that it is OK to throw a 00 pie - trust me.
Dave
Then why do you need one that reads higher....just curious.

Offline TOM1L21

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3274 on: December 21, 2013, 10:45:14 AM »
Thanks for all the info everyone! After about 15 mins, the ambient temp gage read 450 while it was about 35F out. I'll definitely get an IR gun and bake some more pizzas before doing any mods.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3275 on: December 21, 2013, 10:52:01 AM »
My first Blackstone bake....a Vito & Nicks clone. This oven is going to allow me to do many different things....it is infinitely adjustable.  :chef:

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #3276 on: December 21, 2013, 02:13:22 PM »
I've never had real deal Chicago thin, but that pie looks incredible Bob.
-Jeff

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Caroling and Pizza Palooza
« Reply #3277 on: December 21, 2013, 02:23:13 PM »
Last night was the annual neighborhood caroling event followed by a pizza fest in the cul-de-sac.  Turnout was the best ever with somewhere around 50 people.  Bobino and I combined threw 25 pies into our respective Blackstone ovens.  The cameraman doubled as a pizzaiolo so compromises in both were necessary (more later).

The event was a big success.  We have a small community of 30ish families, so the parents had to run ahead to be home for the 20+ kids to come knocking.  A couple of scouts would check which homes were occupied then yelled out “they’re here” which triggered the swarm to run over and belt out a song.  Usually one kid would pick something and each kid would sing in whatever key they knew.  A handful of the kids were old enough to read the song sheets, which helped, but the younger kids were vocally “all in”.  The kids ran the singing program themselves this year, which was really great.

After the caroling, everyone showed up for pizza all at once and I got a little nervous realizing this would become rapid fire making and baking.  I’ve never cooked that many pies back-to-back since the days that I worked at Shakey’s as a kid.  And I had never tested the recovery time of the Blackstone.  Not a problem, every pie was as good as the next.  Except that last pie - it was a build-to-order “meatlovers” and when I pulled it out of the oven to ask the recipient if he liked the rim color - he did -  the piza slid right off the peel and onto the pavement.  Everyone was in good humor so I took a bogey and built him another.

You can see from the photos that we ran two stations.  The first picture shows Bobino’s station.  He made mostly cheese pies and my wife and I handled the made-to-order pies.  It was a kick.  One guy ordered a everything hold the cheese.  It looked good.  A fan favorite was Papagorgio’s “Banger Shrimp” a white pie w/ evoo, shrimp, chives, tomato and an embarrassing amount of garlic.  Fortunately it was an outdoor party.

The three of us were working pretty diligently but one social behavior was particularly amusing.  After the initial rush (of kids mostly), as a new pie would come out of the oven a couple of people would take a slice and then the remaining slices would just sit there.  But then we would drop a new pie and the remaining slices were gone plus several of the new fresh pie.  You know the drill, nobody wants to be rude and take the last slice.  I can’t tell you how many times in that last hour, we thought the crowd was slowing down but then they kept eating.  This was a potluck, so there was plenty of food, but a lot of people like pizza.
Dave

BTW - Nice Pie C.Bob!

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3278 on: December 21, 2013, 03:04:17 PM »
Nice looking pies Bob and Tampa. Looks like I need to try a Chicago thin.

I have two or three pies for tonight. I have maybe a 1/4 tank left. No spare tank. I was wondering if I should fill or maybe I can squeeze at least two pies out. Any opinions? The Detroit I can do in my oven. I rather do the other two in the BS.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3279 on: December 21, 2013, 03:05:53 PM »
Nice looking pies Bob and Tampa. Looks like I need to try a Chicago thin.

I have two or three pies for tonight. I have maybe a 1/4 tank left. No spare tank. I was wondering if I should fill or maybe I can squeeze at least two pies out. Any opinions? The Detroit I can do in my oven. I rather do the other two in the BS.
You'll be fine.  8)
And thank you for the compliment.  :chef:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 07:24:24 PM by Chicago Bob »

pizzapan