Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 607956 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #3275 on: December 21, 2013, 10:52:01 AM »
My first Blackstone bake....a Vito & Nicks clone. This oven is going to allow me to do many different things....it is infinitely adjustable.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #3276 on: December 21, 2013, 02:13:22 PM »
I've never had real deal Chicago thin, but that pie looks incredible Bob.
-Jeff

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Caroling and Pizza Palooza
« Reply #3277 on: December 21, 2013, 02:23:13 PM »
Last night was the annual neighborhood caroling event followed by a pizza fest in the cul-de-sac.  Turnout was the best ever with somewhere around 50 people.  Bobino and I combined threw 25 pies into our respective Blackstone ovens.  The cameraman doubled as a pizzaiolo so compromises in both were necessary (more later).

The event was a big success.  We have a small community of 30ish families, so the parents had to run ahead to be home for the 20+ kids to come knocking.  A couple of scouts would check which homes were occupied then yelled out “they’re here” which triggered the swarm to run over and belt out a song.  Usually one kid would pick something and each kid would sing in whatever key they knew.  A handful of the kids were old enough to read the song sheets, which helped, but the younger kids were vocally “all in”.  The kids ran the singing program themselves this year, which was really great.

After the caroling, everyone showed up for pizza all at once and I got a little nervous realizing this would become rapid fire making and baking.  I’ve never cooked that many pies back-to-back since the days that I worked at Shakey’s as a kid.  And I had never tested the recovery time of the Blackstone.  Not a problem, every pie was as good as the next.  Except that last pie - it was a build-to-order “meatlovers” and when I pulled it out of the oven to ask the recipient if he liked the rim color - he did -  the piza slid right off the peel and onto the pavement.  Everyone was in good humor so I took a bogey and built him another.

You can see from the photos that we ran two stations.  The first picture shows Bobino’s station.  He made mostly cheese pies and my wife and I handled the made-to-order pies.  It was a kick.  One guy ordered a everything hold the cheese.  It looked good.  A fan favorite was Papagorgio’s “Banger Shrimp” a white pie w/ evoo, shrimp, chives, tomato and an embarrassing amount of garlic.  Fortunately it was an outdoor party.

The three of us were working pretty diligently but one social behavior was particularly amusing.  After the initial rush (of kids mostly), as a new pie would come out of the oven a couple of people would take a slice and then the remaining slices would just sit there.  But then we would drop a new pie and the remaining slices were gone plus several of the new fresh pie.  You know the drill, nobody wants to be rude and take the last slice.  I can’t tell you how many times in that last hour, we thought the crowd was slowing down but then they kept eating.  This was a potluck, so there was plenty of food, but a lot of people like pizza.
Dave

BTW - Nice Pie C.Bob!

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3278 on: December 21, 2013, 03:04:17 PM »
Nice looking pies Bob and Tampa. Looks like I need to try a Chicago thin.

I have two or three pies for tonight. I have maybe a 1/4 tank left. No spare tank. I was wondering if I should fill or maybe I can squeeze at least two pies out. Any opinions? The Detroit I can do in my oven. I rather do the other two in the BS.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3279 on: December 21, 2013, 03:05:53 PM »
Nice looking pies Bob and Tampa. Looks like I need to try a Chicago thin.

I have two or three pies for tonight. I have maybe a 1/4 tank left. No spare tank. I was wondering if I should fill or maybe I can squeeze at least two pies out. Any opinions? The Detroit I can do in my oven. I rather do the other two in the BS.
You'll be fine.  8)
And thank you for the compliment.  :chef:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 07:24:24 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3280 on: December 21, 2013, 03:09:11 PM »
You'll be fine.  8)

Thanks for the quick reply.

Not much cooking experience with propane. All my other outdoor cooking is on lump and charcoal briquette's.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Caroling and Pizza Palooza
« Reply #3281 on: December 21, 2013, 03:14:06 PM »
Last night was the annual neighborhood caroling event followed by a pizza fest in the cul-de-sac.  Turnout was the best ever with somewhere around 50 people.  Bobino and I combined threw 25 pies into our respective Blackstone ovens.  The cameraman doubled as a pizzaiolo so compromises in both were necessary (more later).

The event was a big success.  We have a small community of 30ish families, so the parents had to run ahead to be home for the 20+ kids to come knocking.  A couple of scouts would check which homes were occupied then yelled out “they’re here” which triggered the swarm to run over and belt out a song.  Usually one kid would pick something and each kid would sing in whatever key they knew.  A handful of the kids were old enough to read the song sheets, which helped, but the younger kids were vocally “all in”.  The kids ran the singing program themselves this year, which was really great.

After the caroling, everyone showed up for pizza all at once and I got a little nervous realizing this would become rapid fire making and baking.  I’ve never cooked that many pies back-to-back since the days that I worked at Shakey’s as a kid.  And I had never tested the recovery time of the Blackstone.  Not a problem, every pie was as good as the next.  Except that last pie - it was a build-to-order “meatlovers” and when I pulled it out of the oven to ask the recipient if he liked the rim color - he did -  the piza slid right off the peel and onto the pavement.  Everyone was in good humor so I took a bogey and built him another.

You can see from the photos that we ran two stations.  The first picture shows Bobino’s station.  He made mostly cheese pies and my wife and I handled the made-to-order pies.  It was a kick.  One guy ordered a everything hold the cheese.  It looked good.  A fan favorite was Papagorgio’s “Banger Shrimp” a white pie w/ evoo, shrimp, chives, tomato and an embarrassing amount of garlic.  Fortunately it was an outdoor party.

The three of us were working pretty diligently but one social behavior was particularly amusing.  After the initial rush (of kids mostly), as a new pie would come out of the oven a couple of people would take a slice and then the remaining slices would just sit there.  But then we would drop a new pie and the remaining slices were gone plus several of the new fresh pie.  You know the drill, nobody wants to be rude and take the last slice.  I can’t tell you how many times in that last hour, we thought the crowd was slowing down but then they kept eating.  This was a potluck, so there was plenty of food, but a lot of people like pizza.
Dave

BTW - Nice Pie C.Bob!
What a nice set-up and nice event you guys did there.
I think the cornicione on ya'lls pies is awesome.  :chef:   You done spoiled those folks....they'll never be able to look at their Papa Disco Hut pizzas the same again!   :P

Offline kerrymarcy

• I can't and won't stop eating pizza!
« Reply #3282 on: December 21, 2013, 04:15:01 PM »
Bob and Tampa,

Bob, That Chicago thin looks like the pizza I grew up with.  Looks like you are on the right side of the BS learning curve on that one!  Does your dough formula yield a crisp but chewy crust?  Man that looks really good!

Tampa,  that sounds like it would be a blast!  I got a kick out of that guy ordering the pizza with no cheese- my son pulls the cheese off of his pizza too!

Kerry

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #3283 on: December 21, 2013, 07:02:36 PM »
Bob, glad you finally joined the BS club, took you a while to jump in, but I am sure you are loving it.  Dave, great looking pizza.  As you know, with that flamethrower,  recovery time is not as much as a problem as the temp on the bottom stone increasing,  Looks like you made some really great pizzas, especially considering the volume.  Do you notice that the two ovens cook any differently?  Just wondered because the heat shield is some very complex welding, and I doubt they all come out the same shape.

Offline Luc pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3284 on: December 21, 2013, 09:23:58 PM »
Hello,
First post on this amzing forum.
Long story short: I ended here looking for info on wood fired ovens... Made a few homemade pizzas a long time ago but no real experience. I stumbled upon the Blackstone thread and ordered one after readind just a few pages.
Despite all the horror stories, mine was delivered early and in perfect shape.
In a few minutes it was all put together and ready to fire.
I had to test it.
Ran to the grocery store, gathered a few things and made quick dough from the recipe on the back of the yeast package.
I have a lot to learn...
This device is amazing. I will research, experiment and hopefully  improve.
Thanks for all the info you provide!
Luc

Offline Smokeat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3285 on: December 21, 2013, 09:47:32 PM »
Interesting different sets of problems afflicting these BS ovens right out of the box. My box was beat up. Both stones were chipped, top stone probably OK for use, pizza stone has a larger chip which bothers me because it is brand new. Bigger problem is collar that is the upper shaft support is bent. I thought the collar was welded in misaligned, but the steel plate the collar is welded to is distorted. The shaft is not even close to being able to go through the bottom collar to the rotis motor. The top left corner of the main body is bent where it lines up with the top cover. The cover fits, but I don't like to like that it's not right.

BS is not open on weekends, so I'll call Monday, Hopefully they will be in on holiday weeks.

Has anyone had similar problems, and how were they remedied?

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #3286 on: December 21, 2013, 09:59:46 PM »
Smoker,  I don't think the stones will be a problem,  but the platter alignment is the worst I have seen

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3287 on: December 21, 2013, 10:19:29 PM »
Smokeat,

Sorry for your luck. My first unit couldn't spin the platter. They sent me a new main body. I have the other one for a back up, if I can get it to work.

Looks like the supports for the heat deflector are not in place either. Unless I just can't see them.

I took another look. I guess the supports are lower and I can't see them. I was going by the first pic.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 10:23:31 PM by jsperk »

Offline JohnA

« Reply #3288 on: December 22, 2013, 05:31:48 AM »
My first Blackstone bake....a Vito & Nicks clone. This oven is going to allow me to do many different things....it is infinitely adjustable.  :chef:

Bob,

That is certainly a tasty looking pizza for the first attempt. Being that I live in one of the burbs of Chicago, and that I have had more than just a few thin crusts to go along with quite a few Chicago pan pizza's from many different establishments, both in Chicago itself and also in quite a few of the suburbs. I can say for sure that it definitely has a authentic Chicago thin crust look to it, right down to the party/square cut instead of a pie slice cut, and also the perfectly browned looking cheese.

All I can say, is I kind of wished I would have waited a few years and got a Blackstone, instead of my non motorized propane Two Stone oven when they first became available. Not that I don't like my Two Stone, but with the price of the Blackstone it has to be one of the best bargains out there for a high temp way to make pizza's, and also cook other things like steaks.

Offline steelgrey

• Fire and flour
« Reply #3289 on: December 22, 2013, 06:55:25 AM »
Interesting different sets of problems afflicting these BS ovens right out of the box. My box was beat up. Both stones were chipped, top stone probably OK for use, pizza stone has a larger chip which bothers me because it is brand new. Bigger problem is collar that is the upper shaft support is bent. I thought the collar was welded in misaligned, but the steel plate the collar is welded to is distorted. The shaft is not even close to being able to go through the bottom collar to the rotis motor. The top left corner of the main body is bent where it lines up with the top cover. The cover fits, but I don't like to like that it's not right.

BS is not open on weekends, so I'll call Monday, Hopefully they will be in on holiday weeks.

My Blackstone arrived thankfully intact. I had to make one small modification to get it assembled correctly.  The motor was not centered with the platter shaft so I had to tweek the mount. Kaz

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3290 on: December 22, 2013, 07:07:49 AM »
I've never had real deal Chicago thin, but that pie looks incredible Bob.

what Jeff said  :)
Deb

Offline BigT

« Reply #3291 on: December 22, 2013, 09:10:27 AM »
I am late to the party on these Blackstone ovens, I am trying to make my way through this thread (only on page 36 as of right now). I currently make fairly decent neapolitan-ish  pies from my oven (Peter Reinhart's neo-neapolitan recipe), but would like to try to take the step to making legit Neapolitan pies. I have skimmed some of the more recent posts to see if some of the problems have been corrected. I was wondering if someone can help clarify some things for me:

1) Have they changed production such that any model I buy now from Cabelas will be the 5psi version? Has anyone verified what kind of temps you can get to with the 5psi and how long it takes to heat up? I am looking to make Neapolitan pies, so I want to make sure the version I get can handle temps of 800-900.

1a) Is there a quick tutorial somewhere on how to swap out the 5psi for a 10psi regulator? Is this something that can be done fairly easily for someone with moderate DIY skills?

2) I have read the pizza wiki page for the Blackstone and read through the various mods people are doing. Is there a set of "best practices" of which of these mods to do for ideal Neapolitan pizza preparation? Is the "Chau"flector heat deflector a critical mod to make? I have decent DIY skills but haven't done any work with metal so I'd be a little concerned that I wouldn't be able to put that mod off or fixing the metal tray if it is wonky.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3292 on: December 22, 2013, 05:19:44 PM »
Bob and Tampa,

Bob, That Chicago thin looks like the pizza I grew up with.  Looks like you are on the right side of the BS learning curve on that one!  Does your dough formula yield a crisp but chewy crust?  Man that looks really good!

Tampa,  that sounds like it would be a blast!  I got a kick out of that guy ordering the pizza with no cheese- my son pulls the cheese off of his pizza too!

Kerry
Yes Kerry, crisp yet chewy is perfect description....you can still fold the squares too and this pizza had zero gum line. I'm hooked!  :)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3293 on: December 22, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »
Bob,

That is certainly a tasty looking pizza for the first attempt. Being that I live in one of the burbs of Chicago, and that I have had more than just a few thin crusts to go along with quite a few Chicago pan pizza's from many different establishments, both in Chicago itself and also in quite a few of the suburbs. I can say for sure that it definitely has a authentic Chicago thin crust look to it, right down to the party/square cut instead of a pie slice cut, and also the perfectly browned looking cheese.

All I can say, is I kind of wished I would have waited a few years and got a Blackstone, instead of my non motorized propane Two Stone oven when they first became available. Not that I don't like my Two Stone, but with the price of the Blackstone it has to be one of the best bargains out there for a high temp way to make pizza's, and also cook other things like steaks.
Thanks John...I think it's pretty authentic. Yes, the BS is an incredible bargain, I agree. And you're right, it is good for other things...I've done steak house temp steak twice now and that was a real eye opener. Steak is my second favorite food.  :chef:

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
Another great Blackstone Pizza Oven day
« Reply #3294 on: December 22, 2013, 07:41:24 PM »
Just wanted to pass along some pics of my BS cook from tonight. I made this dough with some bread starter I have been using for years. I usually just use IDY but I wanted to see if the starter would be better - Bottom line, I'm not sure - but it was good!

First is my pepperoni, second is my gal's dairy and meat free roasted asparagus, radishes and mushroom pie, and last is the crumb shot...

Happy holidays everyone!!!!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Another great Blackstone Pizza Oven day
« Reply #3295 on: December 22, 2013, 08:01:52 PM »
Just wanted to pass along some pics of my BS cook from tonight. I made this dough with some bread starter I have been using for years. I usually just use IDY but I wanted to see if the starter would be better - Bottom line, I'm not sure - but it was good!

First is my pepperoni, second is my gal's dairy and meat free roasted asparagus, radishes and mushroom pie, and last is the crumb shot...

Very nice norcoscia....your dough experiment turned out a real winner from my perspective.  :chef:
I'm sorry, but to me your gals topping choices/style looks like prison food.  ;D

Offline Coon88

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3296 on: December 22, 2013, 10:50:47 PM »

Gees this thing looks banged up...hopefully banged will have great customer service but there are a lot of shipping issues it seems hopefully by the time I pull the trigger it will be fixed or I might go for a 2 stone

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3297 on: December 22, 2013, 11:59:58 PM »
Gees this thing looks banged up...hopefully banged will have great customer service but there are a lot of shipping issues it seems hopefully by the time I pull the trigger it will be fixed or I might go for a 2 stone
I can ship you a slightly used one and guarantee perfect condition....but it's gonna cost a lil. Not nearly as much as a 2 Stone and mine will do a whole lot more.  Guaranteeee.  ;)

Offline Smokeat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3298 on: December 23, 2013, 01:29:12 PM »

Great looking pies! I do prefer cheese, but both pizza's would fly through my piehole! 

I can't wait until I get my BS problems sorted out, I wanna start slinging some dough.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3299 on: December 23, 2013, 02:06:34 PM »

I'd have to disagree with C.Bob - I'm liking your gal, it is you that I'm not sure about.  Radishes on pizza are illegal in most states (but I'll have a slice of that too). ;D

pizzapan