Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 231283 times)

Offline barryvabeach

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #3520 on: January 25, 2014, 10:57:09 PM »
Nice mod to the glow bar.  I cut mine out entirely, and just left the bracket at the front right, and a small part of the bar at the rear, no problems since then.  While the bar looks bad after a few fires, and I think it disrupts the flow of the flame,  I don't think there is any big problem in leaving it in place, because even if it burns through, nothing bad will happen.

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #3521 on: January 25, 2014, 11:58:35 PM »
Nice mod to the glow bar.  I cut mine out entirely, and just left the bracket at the front right, and a small part of the bar at the rear, no problems since then.  While the bar looks bad after a few fires, and I think it disrupts the flow of the flame,  I don't think there is any big problem in leaving it in place, because even if it burns through, nothing bad will happen.

Actually the reason I changed mine was when I cranked it up, I would notice the flames shooting back down after hitting the bar and heating up the outside of the oven and getting behind the heat shield. With my mod, I can crank it up and never have to worry about that happening. I personally didn't want to have to worry about blistering the outside coating of the oven. Cutting it out would work too, but this way I get extra shielding at the same time.
- Rich

Offline JohnA

« Reply #3522 on: January 26, 2014, 01:15:52 AM »
High temp epoxy or carry it down to local welding shop.
Or...I'll give ya 50 bucks for it!  ;D

Bob

High temp epoxy won't hold up at all with the kind of temperatures these ovens operate at. If the steel gets red hot, epoxy will definitely fail. Welding is pretty much the only long lasting option to consider.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3523 on: January 26, 2014, 09:48:11 AM »
Not quite dark here, but enough to see the flames better. You can see the flames are clean and only reflect off the stone shield. They then hit the metal I added which takes most of the heat before going up the side.
Thanks rsimon.  Very nice.  I was worried that the plate would push the flame too close to the platter, but by bending the bracket back against the sidewall the flame looks perfect.  Good idea, well executed.
Dave

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3524 on: January 26, 2014, 12:04:33 PM »
High temp epoxy won't hold up at all with the kind of temperatures these ovens operate at. If the steel gets red hot, epoxy will definitely fail. Welding is pretty much the only long lasting option to consider.
Sorry, I meant ceramic adhesive.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3525 on: January 26, 2014, 06:03:00 PM »
Sorry, I meant ceramic adhesive.
Bob
[/quote
Hi Bob.  I did a search on "high temperature ceramic adhesive +steel" and saw a few results that looked interesting (eg: fix exhaust leaks).  Have you used any of this stuff?
Dave
Dave,
I haven't used the stuff myself. I once leased body shop area of a full service auto repair business and saw the guys over there us it all the time. I think there is some product that will go to 3200 degrees. I do know that it is very dense stuff and is machinable. I've read where hot rod guys use it to shape and blend in high performance cylinder head work.

Bob

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3526 on: January 26, 2014, 11:47:53 PM »
Thanks C.Bob.  Good to know.
Dave

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #3527 on: January 27, 2014, 08:24:38 PM »
Pizza Night on the Blackstone after my mod. Worked great and I could crank it up 100% without any issues. The Pizzas are cooking in about 75 seconds or less when I get it hotter. Very tasty  :P
- Rich

Offline TOM1L21

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3528 on: January 28, 2014, 12:32:07 AM »
Here's a Sourdough Mac and Cheese I made tonight. For the dough I used TxCraig1's recipe with 75% Caputo 00 and 25% KABF. Cooked in about 90 seconds at 850F measured at the stones center. I also did two more at around 925-950 and the bottoms came out a bit too charred. I guess 850F is the sweet spot.

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3529 on: January 28, 2014, 12:48:02 AM »
Some good looking pies!   I'm tempted to go to the dark side and get on the mac'n'cheese bandwagon.

Offline xsosx

« Reply #3530 on: January 30, 2014, 04:23:56 PM »
The official cover the Blackstone Patio Oven is now available... but it is $50.  :o

http://griddleguru.com/accessories/blackstone-patio-oven-cover.html
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 04:57:22 PM by xsosx »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3531 on: January 30, 2014, 04:32:59 PM »
Looks nice...

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3532 on: January 30, 2014, 05:32:29 PM »
Finally! Just ordered mine! Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline TOM1L21

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3533 on: January 30, 2014, 07:48:50 PM »
The official cover the Blackstone Patio Oven is now available... but it is $50.  :o

http://griddleguru.com/accessories/blackstone-patio-oven-cover.html

Thanks for the heads up! Ilvprobably continue to use my blue tarp since I can cover up the wheels. I'm not sure how those wheels would last in snow and rain year round without being covered.

Offline Dusen berry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3534 on: February 01, 2014, 10:56:06 AM »
I understand that the new models coming from Blackstone already has that heatshield in place and corrected the problem :chef:

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Proofing
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #3535 on: February 01, 2014, 11:39:24 AM »
Could someone confirm that their flame gets noticeably more powerful when going from a medium to high heat setting? With a 5 psi regulator wide open.

I ask because I thought that was the case with mine, but now I see that medium and high are the same. This is with a full tank, and two tanks are yielding the same results. If I'm not getting full power out of this thing after only about 10 cooks I'll be damned mad.

Thanks!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3536 on: February 01, 2014, 11:54:40 AM »
Could someone confirm that their flame gets noticeably more powerful when going from a medium to high heat setting? With a 5 psi regulator wide open.

I ask because I thought that was the case with mine, but now I see that medium and high are the same. This is with a full tank, and two tanks are yielding the same results. If I'm not getting full power out of this thing after only about 10 cooks I'll be damned mad.

Thanks!
tommy,
It's hard to go by a dial setting. I think that some may be more "touchy" than others. Would be best if you can post a temp of the stones if you want to know if you are getting full power.
Then people can start comparing temps here.

Bob

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3537 on: February 01, 2014, 11:56:21 AM »
I understand that the new models coming from Blackstone already has that heatshield in place and corrected the problem :chef:
Are you talking about a shield covering the "glow bar"?

Bob

Offline Dusen berry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3538 on: February 01, 2014, 08:38:13 PM »
Yes the covers the bracket on the side where the flame is and it also directs the heat and more circular motion around the oven I've seen it I've used it I love it ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3539 on: February 01, 2014, 09:47:11 PM »
Yes the covers the bracket on the side where the flame is and it also directs the heat and more circular motion around the oven I've seen it I've used it I love it ;D
And that is just the way it should be my friend..... :)

pizzapan