Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 384702 times)

Offline Ron_L

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #3740 on: March 24, 2014, 05:28:26 PM »
I'm getting 2 minute cook times, but I could swear it was more like 90 seconds when I first got it.

Here's a silly video of my last cook. Recipe inspired by a couple of you on the forum, and the technique of moving the pie toward the flame inspired by dylandylan! I like that approach. Not only does it produce better results for me, but it also gives me an excuse to play with the pie, and an excuse for buying a turning peel.

Nice video, Tommy!  It helped me to see you move the pizza around to get the side char as Dave described a few posts back!

What temp was your stone when you put the pizza in?

...ron

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #3741 on: March 24, 2014, 05:58:20 PM »
Ron, I try to launch no higher than 800, especially since it's taking 2 minutes and not 90 seconds! 

I thought it was DylanDylan who posted a graphic showing how he repositions the pie to about 2 o'clock, but I can't find it. Anyway, I find it easier to push it back to 12 o'clock, and I'm somewhat convinced that it doesn't matter that much, as long as the edge is near the flame for those 2 seconds when it comes around.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3742 on: March 24, 2014, 06:03:33 PM »
I'm getting 2 minute cook times, but I could swear it was more like 90 seconds when I first got it.

Here's a silly video of my last cook. Recipe inspired by a couple of you on the forum, and the technique of moving the pie toward the flame inspired by dylandylan! I like that approach. Not only does it produce better results for me, but it also gives me an excuse to play with the pie, and an excuse for buying a turning peel.

Love the video.  Love the music.  More onions!

Way to nail it.

Dave

Offline Ron_L

« Reply #3743 on: March 24, 2014, 07:20:52 PM »
Ron, I try to launch no higher than 800, especially since it's taking 2 minutes and not 90 seconds! 

I thought it was DylanDylan who posted a graphic showing how he repositions the pie to about 2 o'clock, but I can't find it. Anyway, I find it easier to push it back to 12 o'clock, and I'm somewhat convinced that it doesn't matter that much, as long as the edge is near the flame for those 2 seconds when it comes around.

Here is the diagram that you mentioned. It's post 407 in the BS mods thread...

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26483.msg296165#msg296165

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #3744 on: March 24, 2014, 07:22:15 PM »
Thanks Ron_L! I searched high and low and gave up. At least I got the source right, although I got the time wrong. 1 o'clock!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3745 on: March 24, 2014, 10:09:08 PM »
Thanks Ron_L! I searched high and low and gave up. At least I got the source right, although I got the time wrong. 1 o'clock!
Reverse your motor.  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3746 on: March 24, 2014, 10:14:08 PM »
hello everyone!

Help with Blackstone shipping needs!

I ordered a Black Stone patio oven, but the folks at Griddl Guru said they could not ship the oven to Germany not even to an APO address  :'(
I am now looking for a helpful pizzamaker to whom griddleguru can send the oven, and who kindly repack the oven contents into two separated packages.  I would naturally assume all costs and repay me for this big favor with a cargo of German bread flour or similar.

I would be very happy if someone would be willing to do!!

Thanks, Todi
Count me in Todi....I'll help a fellow forum member any time I can.  :chef:
PM me.

CB

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #3747 on: March 25, 2014, 04:50:39 AM »
Great video tommy!! Love the track. That's pretty much my procedure right there.   I'll take any excuse to play with my food too.

Offline napoletana4germany

« Reply #3748 on: March 25, 2014, 05:55:23 AM »
I can't help with the repackage and shipping, but  in case it's of interest I bought mine from amazon.com and there was no restriction to where they would send it - this was November last year mind you, things may have changed.    It's very risky and not cheap, but possible.   Your idea of a repackage and on-ship is a good one, just mentioning this in case you hadn't looked into Amazon.

thanks Dylan and Bob!

I already found someone who wants to help me out! :)
I would prefer shipping to an APO because of the high shipping costs and taxes...  :angel:
if the stone shatters while shipping it would be sad but no drama, I think.
anybody has experience with pouring a surrogate stone for the Blackstone?
In this case, I thought of (vulcanic) lava clay with wired reinforcement.

Todi

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3749 on: March 25, 2014, 10:36:20 AM »
thanks Dylan and Bob!

I already found someone who wants to help me out! :)
I would prefer shipping to an APO because of the high shipping costs and taxes...  :angel:
if the stone shatters while shipping it would be sad but no drama, I think.
anybody has experience with pouring a surrogate stone for the Blackstone?
In this case, I thought of (vulcanic) lava clay with wired reinforcement.

Todi
Todi,
Before responding to you yesterday I did a very quick UPS search and their shipping cost for airfreight was $1,200.00 .  :o   But I thought heck, it's your money so if that's what you wanted to do....I'd help.
Repackaging will be key with those stones and I believe it can be done. Glad you have someone to help.

My gf is from Germany and we go over there once a year in the spring. Looks like we'll go this year the first part of May so let me know if things don't work out....maybe it might be allowed as a "checked bag".
We go to Frankfort airport and then drive to Kaiserslautern.

Bob

Offline Carnie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3750 on: March 25, 2014, 08:55:55 PM »
Todi,
Before responding to you yesterday I did a very quick UPS search and their shipping cost for airfreight was $1,200.00 .  :o   But I thought heck, it's your money so if that's what you wanted to do....I'd help.
Repackaging will be key with those stones and I believe it can be done. Glad you have someone to help.

My gf is from Germany and we go over there once a year in the spring. Looks like we'll go this year the first part of May so let me know if things don't work out....maybe it might be allowed as a "checked bag".
We go to Frankfort airport and then drive to Kaiserslautern.

Bob
Looks like the guy from the "Blackstone in Thailand" post did exactly that, packed and checked as luggage, here is my suggestion for packing the stones http://www.uline.com/ContainerVideo.aspx?videoID=VIDEO_BL7708
Have a nice trip!!

Offline fastdrive

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3751 on: March 26, 2014, 02:26:13 PM »
You can see the new revised oven on their Facebook page posted under Vegas pizza expo.

Offline TheRailroadBulls

• Fatboy Style!!
« Reply #3752 on: March 27, 2014, 09:22:15 AM »
The 2stone Inferno has a 15.5" diameter stone so I'm guessing you could do at least a 15" pizza or 15.5" with an accurate launch. The largest I've done was 14". I checked on the Blackstone website and didn't see the diameter of their stone listed. I'm sure someone here can answer that.

Thanks man! I was starting to wonder if I still existed....  ;D
"Conveyor ovens make McPizza." - Scott123

Offline Yeller

« Reply #3753 on: March 27, 2014, 05:52:52 PM »
Reverse your motor.  8)

CB...I thought you had to be S of the Equator to reverse the motor..?? :-\

Online slybarman

« Reply #3754 on: March 28, 2014, 03:14:52 PM »
I hear everyone asking, "Is the Blackstone oven strong enough for an idiot roofer to stand on"?

Why yes is it. While having a new roof installed on our house yesterday, I glanced out on the back deck to see one of the idiot roofers standing on my Blackstone oven to reach the roof over a bay window. I thought I must not really be seeing what I thought I was. Surely he was actually standing on a ladder I didn't see. But no, the bozo was standing on my covered Blackstone.

I inspected it and was surprised not to see any obvious dents or damage though it was late and light was fading. I will have to check it more carefully tomorrow.

Friggin contractors. They just kill me.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3755 on: March 28, 2014, 03:36:15 PM »
I hear everyone asking, "Is the Blackstone oven strong enough for an idiot roofer to stand on"?

Why yes it is.
I love this post.  Inquiring minds... :-D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3756 on: March 28, 2014, 11:07:35 PM »
CB...I thought you had to be S of the Equator to reverse the motor..?? :-\
Of course not you silly...
all you need is one of Steve's(Slybarman) workers to make the final tweak .   Simple,simple...easy peazzy.  8)

CB

scott123

« Reply #3757 on: March 28, 2014, 11:38:02 PM »
I have also noticed a drop in performance toward the end of the tank. But this is with a full tank. Do you have much of a difference in flame between 1/2 open on the knob and all the way open?

Tommy, rather than take Dylan's thread too much off topic, I thought I'd present a few ideas here.

First, in Dylan's thread, Dave (Tampa) posted a link to his incredibly useful de-covering post. Just in case you missed that, here it is again:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26507.msg279722#msg279722

There was someone else on the forum that drilled out the rivets on the cover, but the name of the person escapes me. I went back 10 pages on this thread and couldn't find it. Anybody remember?

After you remove the cover, I'd take a close look at the air feed and make sure there aren't any obstructions in the air intake, such as cobwebs. I'd also compare your opening size to Dave's.

This isn't something that I'm in the position to help with, but I'd like to see people start testing fuel usage by weighing their tanks, running the oven at full bore for a set time (20 minutes?) and then weighing the tank again to determine BTUs. Not only would this give you a clear perspective of where your burner falls in the spectrum of BTU output, I think it would be hugely helpful in comparing the different permutations of oven. I would be especially curious to see these numbers for a 5 psi model vs. a 10 psi one.

You just need one person with a 50+ lb. digital postal scale that can do this.  Dave's sort of moving into a Blackstone tech guru/company liaison role, maybe this might be something he'd like to volunteer for  ;D It need not even be separate from a typical bake. Just weigh the tank, full bore 20 minutes, weigh the tank and then bake the pizza. I'm going with 20 minutes since that seems to be a typical pre-heat, but, the longer the better, as that will decrease the margin of error. You shouldn't need to remove the hose from the tank, either, as long as you're careful to weigh it in the same position.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3758 on: March 29, 2014, 01:49:18 PM »
There was someone else on the forum that drilled out the rivets on the cover, but the name of the person escapes me. I went back 10 pages on this thread and couldn't find it. Anybody remember?
I may know the person that suggested drilling rivets on the stainless cover to gain access inside the BS, and not to worry, because that person doesn’t care about attribution.

Dave's sort of moving into a Blackstone tech guru/company liaison role, maybe this might be something he'd like to volunteer for  ;D It need not even be separate from a typical bake. Just weigh the tank, full bore 20 minutes, weigh the tank and then bake the pizza. I'm going with 20 minutes since that seems to be a typical pre-heat, but, the longer the better, as that will decrease the margin of error. You shouldn't need to remove the hose from the tank, either, as long as you're careful to weigh it in the same position.
Dave is not moving into anything Scott; I'm a greeter.:D  Besides, when it comes to technical guru and having liaisons, the modifiers are "dubious" and "married".

Sorry, but my setup runs off a large underground propane tank.  I don't even own a tank for the loaner (so far everyone seems to have their own).

Dave

scott123

« Reply #3759 on: March 29, 2014, 02:09:02 PM »
I may know the person that suggested drilling rivets on the stainless cover to gain access inside the BS, and not to worry, because that person doesn’t care about attribution.

What, there's a brilliant tinkerer out there eschewing the limelight?  I have no idea who that might be. Nope  ;D

Actually, I was thinking about someone who de-covered the BS after you. I just did some more digging and found the thread. Larry.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=29330.0

Dave is not moving into anything Scott; I'm a greeter.:D  Besides, when it comes to technical guru and having liaisons, the modifiers are "dubious" and "married".

I'm not asking you to have relations with the Blackstone people, Dave (unless you think that would help forge a better bond  :-D ).  And as far as any dubiousness goes... you can't post something like this:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26507.msg279722#msg279722

and then start whipping out the modesty card. Nope  ;D

pizzapan