Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 575385 times)

Offline Carnie

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #3750 on: March 25, 2014, 08:55:55 PM »
Todi,
Before responding to you yesterday I did a very quick UPS search and their shipping cost for airfreight was $1,200.00 .  :o   But I thought heck, it's your money so if that's what you wanted to do....I'd help.
Repackaging will be key with those stones and I believe it can be done. Glad you have someone to help.

My gf is from Germany and we go over there once a year in the spring. Looks like we'll go this year the first part of May so let me know if things don't work out....maybe it might be allowed as a "checked bag".
We go to Frankfort airport and then drive to Kaiserslautern.

Bob
Looks like the guy from the "Blackstone in Thailand" post did exactly that, packed and checked as luggage, here is my suggestion for packing the stones http://www.uline.com/ContainerVideo.aspx?videoID=VIDEO_BL7708
Have a nice trip!!

Offline fastdrive

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3751 on: March 26, 2014, 02:26:13 PM »
You can see the new revised oven on their Facebook page posted under Vegas pizza expo.

Offline TheRailroadBulls

• Ahhhhh... Fatboy Style!!
« Reply #3752 on: March 27, 2014, 09:22:15 AM »
The 2stone Inferno has a 15.5" diameter stone so I'm guessing you could do at least a 15" pizza or 15.5" with an accurate launch. The largest I've done was 14". I checked on the Blackstone website and didn't see the diameter of their stone listed. I'm sure someone here can answer that.

Thanks man! I was starting to wonder if I still existed....  ;D
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice." - Henry Ford

Offline Yeller

« Reply #3753 on: March 27, 2014, 05:52:52 PM »
Reverse your motor.  8)

CB...I thought you had to be S of the Equator to reverse the motor..?? :-\

Offline slybarman

« Reply #3754 on: March 28, 2014, 03:14:52 PM »
I hear everyone asking, "Is the Blackstone oven strong enough for an idiot roofer to stand on"?

Why yes is it. While having a new roof installed on our house yesterday, I glanced out on the back deck to see one of the idiot roofers standing on my Blackstone oven to reach the roof over a bay window. I thought I must not really be seeing what I thought I was. Surely he was actually standing on a ladder I didn't see. But no, the bozo was standing on my covered Blackstone.

I inspected it and was surprised not to see any obvious dents or damage though it was late and light was fading. I will have to check it more carefully tomorrow.

Friggin contractors. They just kill me.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3755 on: March 28, 2014, 03:36:15 PM »
I hear everyone asking, "Is the Blackstone oven strong enough for an idiot roofer to stand on"?

Why yes it is.
I love this post.  Inquiring minds... :-D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3756 on: March 28, 2014, 11:07:35 PM »
CB...I thought you had to be S of the Equator to reverse the motor..?? :-\
Of course not you silly...
all you need is one of Steve's(Slybarman) workers to make the final tweak .   Simple,simple...easy peazzy.  8)

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

scott123

« Reply #3757 on: March 28, 2014, 11:38:02 PM »
I have also noticed a drop in performance toward the end of the tank. But this is with a full tank. Do you have much of a difference in flame between 1/2 open on the knob and all the way open?

Tommy, rather than take Dylan's thread too much off topic, I thought I'd present a few ideas here.

First, in Dylan's thread, Dave (Tampa) posted a link to his incredibly useful de-covering post. Just in case you missed that, here it is again:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26507.msg279722#msg279722

There was someone else on the forum that drilled out the rivets on the cover, but the name of the person escapes me. I went back 10 pages on this thread and couldn't find it. Anybody remember?

After you remove the cover, I'd take a close look at the air feed and make sure there aren't any obstructions in the air intake, such as cobwebs. I'd also compare your opening size to Dave's.

This isn't something that I'm in the position to help with, but I'd like to see people start testing fuel usage by weighing their tanks, running the oven at full bore for a set time (20 minutes?) and then weighing the tank again to determine BTUs. Not only would this give you a clear perspective of where your burner falls in the spectrum of BTU output, I think it would be hugely helpful in comparing the different permutations of oven. I would be especially curious to see these numbers for a 5 psi model vs. a 10 psi one.

You just need one person with a 50+ lb. digital postal scale that can do this.  Dave's sort of moving into a Blackstone tech guru/company liaison role, maybe this might be something he'd like to volunteer for  ;D It need not even be separate from a typical bake. Just weigh the tank, full bore 20 minutes, weigh the tank and then bake the pizza. I'm going with 20 minutes since that seems to be a typical pre-heat, but, the longer the better, as that will decrease the margin of error. You shouldn't need to remove the hose from the tank, either, as long as you're careful to weigh it in the same position.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3758 on: March 29, 2014, 01:49:18 PM »
There was someone else on the forum that drilled out the rivets on the cover, but the name of the person escapes me. I went back 10 pages on this thread and couldn't find it. Anybody remember?
I may know the person that suggested drilling rivets on the stainless cover to gain access inside the BS, and not to worry, because that person doesn’t care about attribution.

Dave's sort of moving into a Blackstone tech guru/company liaison role, maybe this might be something he'd like to volunteer for  ;D It need not even be separate from a typical bake. Just weigh the tank, full bore 20 minutes, weigh the tank and then bake the pizza. I'm going with 20 minutes since that seems to be a typical pre-heat, but, the longer the better, as that will decrease the margin of error. You shouldn't need to remove the hose from the tank, either, as long as you're careful to weigh it in the same position.
Dave is not moving into anything Scott; I'm a greeter.:D  Besides, when it comes to technical guru and having liaisons, the modifiers are "dubious" and "married".

Sorry, but my setup runs off a large underground propane tank.  I don't even own a tank for the loaner (so far everyone seems to have their own).

Dave

scott123

« Reply #3759 on: March 29, 2014, 02:09:02 PM »
I may know the person that suggested drilling rivets on the stainless cover to gain access inside the BS, and not to worry, because that person doesn’t care about attribution.

What, there's a brilliant tinkerer out there eschewing the limelight?  I have no idea who that might be. Nope  ;D

Actually, I was thinking about someone who de-covered the BS after you. I just did some more digging and found the thread. Larry.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=29330.0

Dave is not moving into anything Scott; I'm a greeter.:D  Besides, when it comes to technical guru and having liaisons, the modifiers are "dubious" and "married".

I'm not asking you to have relations with the Blackstone people, Dave (unless you think that would help forge a better bond  :-D ).  And as far as any dubiousness goes... you can't post something like this:

and then start whipping out the modesty card. Nope  ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3760 on: March 29, 2014, 02:09:58 PM »

Dave
;D.....he said "dubious".

Bob

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3761 on: March 29, 2014, 02:22:39 PM »
you can't post something like this:

and then start whipping out the modesty card. Nope  ;D
Dude...he is a Mod. He can do what he wants.  :chef:

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #3762 on: March 29, 2014, 09:35:33 PM »
Scott, to get back to your point, it would have to be an extremely accurate scale.  I considered converting to natural gas, but even which I get the exchange cylinders, which only have 15 pounds, they last an extremely long time. 

Offline BVdog

• I Love Pizza!
Blackstone
« Reply #3763 on: March 29, 2014, 09:59:48 PM »
Just made my first pizza with the BS grill. After reading all the mods I had BS send a 5psi regulator but it could not bring the oven up to decent temp . It was around 50 degrees out in Ohio and the best I could do was 200 degrees on the oven temp. With the 10 psi regulator I brought it up to 360 which was 550 stone temp.. Not wanting to burn my first pizza I went with it. Great pizza. I am studying how to add a smoker draw for wood chips now.

scott123

« Reply #3764 on: March 29, 2014, 11:36:50 PM »
Barry, according this page here:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_will_a_20_lb_propane_tank_last_in_hours_on_an_outdoor_heater_set_at_medium_before_I_need_to_exchange_the_tank

A 60K BTU burner should go through a tank in 6-7 hours.  Based on this, 20 minutes, at full bore, should use up 1/21th of tank.  I'm thinking a postal scale with .1 oz. accuracy should do it, although, as I said, the longer the test the better.  A full hour (perhaps without the stone) would be ideal.

Offline barryvabeach

Re: Blackstone
« Reply #3765 on: March 30, 2014, 08:02:25 AM »
Ignore the included thermometer on the BS,  while I think the BS is the best way to make pizza, they should never have included the thermometer, because it is only measuring the temp above the top stone, and you aren't cooking above the top stone.  Something sounds wrong about your setup - do you have an IR thermometer?  The bottom stone should be able to get to 600 degrees within 15 to 20 minutes, especially if you have it wide open.  I have the 10 psi regulator, dialed back 1 full turn, and with the front control on 2 1/2 out of 5, I hit 600 stone temp pretty quick.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3766 on: March 30, 2014, 08:36:41 AM »
I considered converting to natural gas, but even which I get the exchange cylinders, which only have 15 pounds, they last an extremely long time. 
Barry, I have a chum in CA also interested in natural gas because it is plumbed into the home.  From what I've read, most residential setups are regulated to 1/4 psi by the home meter.  If so, the combination of low pressure (10psi vs 1/4) and lower energy/lb (NG vs Propane) could make this rather difficult.  If you, or another reader, have some insight pls comment.

Dave

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: Blackstone
« Reply #3767 on: March 30, 2014, 09:40:16 AM »
Something sounds wrong about your setup - do you have an IR thermometer?  The bottom stone should be able to get to 600 degrees within 15 to 20 minutes, especially if you have it wide open.  I have the 10 psi regulator, dialed back 1 full turn, and with the front control on 2 1/2 out of 5, I hit 600 stone temp pretty quick.
^^^

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3768 on: March 30, 2014, 10:14:50 AM »
Barry, I have a chum in CA also interested in natural gas because it is plumbed into the home.  From what I've read, most residential setups are regulated to 1/4 psi by the home meter.  If so, the combination of low pressure (10psi vs 1/4) and lower energy/lb (NG vs Propane) could make this rather difficult.  If you, or another reader, have some insight pls comment.

Dave

I think you would need a different burner, and I kind of doubt you could find one with suitable BTU output that would fit. NG burners with that kind of output are in the ballpark of 8" in diameter.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:17:48 AM by TXCraig1 »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3769 on: March 30, 2014, 12:03:32 PM »
I think you would need a different burner, and I kind of doubt you could find one with suitable BTU output that would fit. NG burners with that kind of output are in the ballpark of 8" in diameter.
Thanks Craig, I fear you may be right.  A new burner (eg picture) likely messes with the heat flow which opens up a can of worms.  I don't mind dealing with orifice swaps and even less heat flow (eg 5psi vs 10), but throwing in the "worms", at a remote (to me) site, with lots of pie-eaters waiting, may get me expelled from the festivities.  I wish I had a local NG setup to play with.

Any others working on this problem?  Maybe working together (in mods and adjustments or offline) we could solve this.

Dave

Offline slybarman

« Reply #3770 on: March 30, 2014, 12:58:47 PM »
I want it just because it's so darn cool looking.

Offline Dusen berry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3771 on: March 30, 2014, 03:15:15 PM »
I'd like to thank Tom 1L21 :chef: ^^^ back on January 28 for posting the macaroni and cheese pizza I tried it with my grandkids they said "this is the best pizza they ever had here's some pictures!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3772 on: March 30, 2014, 06:41:37 PM »
Thanks Craig, I fear you may be right.  A new burner (eg picture) likely messes with the heat flow which opens up a can of worms.  I don't mind dealing with orifice swaps and even less heat flow (eg 5psi vs 10), but throwing in the "worms", at a remote (to me) site, with lots of pie-eaters waiting, may get me expelled from the festivities.  I wish I had a local NG setup to play with.

Any others working on this problem?  Maybe working together (in mods and adjustments or offline) we could solve this.

Dave

Dave,

I used to have some of those propane and natural gas jet burners for cararmel corn kettle we used.  Those jet burners are powerful.  I think I still have a smaller propane one in the shed somewhere.

Norma

Offline Carnie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3773 on: March 31, 2014, 09:09:20 AM »
Dave,

I used to have some of those propane and natural gas jet burners for cararmel corn kettle we used.  Those jet burners are powerful.  I think I still have a smaller propane one in the shed somewhere.

Norma
Yep, they look like the burners on the kettle in the popcorn trailer that they use to make candy apples, got a pretty good roar to it.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3774 on: March 31, 2014, 03:07:48 PM »
Thanks Norma & Carnie.  I do have one, and they are exciting!
Dave