Author Topic: Nea-NY Style?  (Read 901 times)

Offline mooveebuff

• I Love Pizza!
Nea-NY Style?
« on: April 30, 2014, 05:20:14 AM »
I don't really fit into either category...I'm more of a combination of both styles.  I use a Neapolitan style dough and cook at very high temperatures, but my bottom crust is thicker than traditional Neapolitan style so it can be picked up, folded, etc. and I use more toppings.  I've been experimenting a lot lately now that I finished my oven to the point where it's usable, and this is where I'm at now.  I'll be doing another cook around the end of May for some friends, and I hope I can keep improving.  I got some advice on the Dough Doctor section, which helped me get the results I wanted from my crust.  Cooking at these temps is a whole new experience!  Would you consider these to be more Neapolitan or more NY style?  I guess it doesn't really matter, just curious to hear opinions.

Offline JD

Re: Nea-NY Style?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 07:43:31 AM »
I read your other thread too, and it's a style in between like you say but does not fit either one exactly. What type of cheese are you using? The cheese in picture 2 looks overdone for my tastes, but the crust looks like it's balanced about right.

I like your oven and I think you'll be making some world class pies in no time. I made a cob oven a couple years ago but it was too small in the end. Still a fun experience and creates great atmosphere when you have people over for pizza.

JD's NY Style
JD's Neapolitan using my Pizza Party WFO

You cannot teach experience.

-Josh

Offline mooveebuff

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 09:43:18 AM »
Thanks!  I actually use just a generic store-brand low moisture, part skim mozzarella.  As far as flavor and how it behaves in the oven, it works best for me.  I made my own mozz a couple of times successfully, after a few disasters, but it never tasted quite right.  I used some Polly-O whole milk mozz on one of my last cooks, and it really did not handle the heat of the oven well.  It melted very quickly into a liquid form, combined with the sauce into a pink liquid, and boiled over!  Last cook before the ones pictured I used a higher-end low moisture/part skim that I bought in block form and shredded myself.  It worked fine, but really no difference in taste to be worth the difference in price.  This is just Kroger brand pre-shredded mozz, and I'm actually a big fan of it.

The cheese pie pictured above was the first pie in.  I had the oven way too hot...I don't think I even got to 90 seconds on that one.  I took a 15-20 minute break before going on to the next one, and things went much better.  Next time I'll have more patience and take a temp reading before tossing anything in there.  The pizza actually tasted good, but it was overdone...after looking at the bottom I almost pitched it, but it really didn't taste burnt, surprisingly (photo below).

I'm really happy with the oven so far.  My next test will be to bake bread once I make a door for it.  It'll be fun when I have people over later this month.

Offline JD

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 11:16:04 AM »
If your goal is 2 minute Neo-NY hybrid such as Chris Bianco or Jeff Varasano, you may want to try a Fior di latte mozzarella instead of low moisture mozzarella. My Kroger sells a brand called Galbani that isn't too terrible.

If you prefer the low moisture and browned top, just know that boiling is a good thing and it may be worth giving Polly-O whole milk another try. Maybe just use less cheese & sauce so it's not out of control.

Again though, do what makes you happy. Everyone has different tastes.

JD's NY Style

-Josh

Offline mooveebuff

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 11:58:39 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion...I've never even heard about Fior di latte mozzarella.  I'll see if the Kroger/Fry's by me carry Galbani.  It's almost embarrassing to admit to using pre-shredded generic cheese after spending so much time working on the dough and sauce.  I'll have to do more testing....which, of course, means more pizza...which is never a bad thing.  Even failed experiments are usually pretty good...

Offline JD

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 12:18:33 PM »
At the very least you should be able to find Bel Gioioso, it's really common. http://www.belgioioso.com/Products/Fresh-Mozzarella  although I do think Galbani is better in flavor . Both of these have a different flavor than low moisture mozz, perhaps leaning towards flavorless. Some EVOO, and/or Pecorino Romano (or other sharp/hard cheese) may help add some depth.

Just keep experimenting and figure out what works for you. It's a slippery slope for sure.
JD's NY Style

-Josh

wordpress