Author Topic: Sly's pies.  (Read 1533 times)

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
Sly's pies.
« on: May 12, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
This is a continuation of my 'disappointing pies tonight" thread. But, since I am not really disappointed often anymore, I thought I would start a new thread. :)

This is the first pie from the new oven. Even though I had set the bake to 550 and the offset to +35, the stone was still only up to 550 when I launched after one hour of preheat. It probably would have gone higher, but the kids were getting hungry and cranky, so . . .

I like the new oven. The one thing I will say, is that the lower profile of the smaller top oven lead me to burn my hand on the top burner three different times. The angle for working the pie on/off the stone is shallower and I need to adjust my technique a bit.

Anyhow, this was 60% hydration and a 3 day cold rise. The dough was nearly overblown as I usually only do a 2 day rise.

This bake was 6 minutes 15 seconds. I probably could have used 30-40 seconds less. Nothing was burned, but it was slightly more well done than optimal I think. Though I would say it was slightly less done than the picture would suggest.

One half cheese. One half was garlic, ricotta, spinach and tomato per another thread in the forum. It is a nice pie and I will try it again sometime. Maybe a bit more spinach.

Offline Petitroche

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Sly's pies.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 12:55:06 AM »
It looks great and sounds delicious.  Good job. :drool:
Pizza is to food what bacon is to meat.

Offline chaspie

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 01:36:10 AM »
That is a really pretty pie, sly, and artfully arranged.  Ricotta and fresh tomato go wonderfully together.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 08:27:29 AM »
Thank you both. I hope to have another go this weekend - time permitting. Maybe the spinach pie again. I have also really been liking the bacon, pepperoni and ricotta pie as well.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 07:34:46 PM »
Gave the oven closer to 1:15 to preheat tonight. It was good and hot. This pie was 5 minutes 30 seconds timed with a stopwatch. No broiler.

I made a video for a buddy from school I have been talking pizzas with, so you get to watch me make this pie and make a fool of myself. You can bump it up to hi def (720p) in the lower right corner.

You notice I do the "Chicago Bob Bump" to get the pie freed up on the peel.  ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2hN7bPDJj8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2hN7bPDJj8</a>
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 07:43:24 PM by slybarman »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 09:00:01 PM »
Pretty darn fly....that Sly guy!  :chef:
Video's like this are really great fun....and too far an few in between. You did outstanding on yours Steve; thanks so much!  :)

p.s., gotta love a pie with sliced tomato's on top...don't see that very often these days.  :drool:

Bump'in Bob  8)

"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 09:17:33 PM »
Thanks Bob. I cant take credit for the pie recipe. TomN posted it in another thread and I probably kinda butchered it a bit. I went to cocktail hour at my neighbors before dinner time. :P

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 02:00:11 PM »
I tried something out today that I have been meaning to do for a while - a reuben pizza. I am sure it has been done before. I love reuben sandwiches and was curious to see how it would do as a pizza.

So - Thousand island was the sauce. Then slices of Swiss cheese. Then corned beef and sauerkraut. I topped with shredded swiss and mozzarella.

Result - it was good. I think it needed some tweaking to be really good. I am thinking less kraut, a bit more corned beef and maybe a bit heavier on the thousand island. To my surprise, the pieces that did not have heavier thousand island were a tad bland. Maybe some squirts of brown mustard with the thousand island would kick it up a notch. (thinking of Fazarri's "Shotzi")

If anyone has tried this and dialed it in, please let me know your method.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 02:53:35 PM »
Steve,

You might check out these PMQ Think Tank threads: http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=6721#6721 and http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=6996#6996.

Peter

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 05:49:10 PM »
Good info there on the ratios Pete,  thanks.  The rye sourdough crust sounds good, but probably not happening for me.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 08:53:04 PM »
Made a few pies tonight. Dough was a 12 hr preferment and then a 3 day cold ferment. Cooked in the blackstone.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 08:26:21 AM »
Made a few pies tonight. Dough was a 12 hr preferment and then a 3 day cold ferment. Cooked in the blackstone.

Very nice. What on the green & white pie?
Il miglior fabbro

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 08:30:16 AM »
Fresh pesto my wife made along with fresh mozz and ricotta. There was also some grated parm underneath. I liked it. My wife thought the ricotta made it too watery, but I think she doesn't really like ricotta all that much in general.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 08:35:01 AM »
Fresh pesto my wife made along with fresh mozz and ricotta. There was also some grated parm underneath. I liked it. My wife thought the ricotta made it too watery, but I think she doesn't really like ricotta all that much in general.

Thanks. I'll have to try ricotta on a pie soon.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 08:41:16 AM »
Ricotta and ground beef or ricotta and sausage are some of my favorite pies. The creamy smoothness of the ricotta blends so well with meats.

Offline TheRailroadBulls

• Fatboy Style!!
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 09:11:12 AM »
I tried something out today that I have been meaning to do for a while - a reuben pizza. I am sure it has been done before. I love reuben sandwiches and was curious to see how it would do as a pizza.

So - Thousand island was the sauce. Then slices of Swiss cheese. Then corned beef and sauerkraut. I topped with shredded swiss and mozzarella.

Result - it was good. I think it needed some tweaking to be really good. I am thinking less kraut, a bit more corned beef and maybe a bit heavier on the thousand island. To my surprise, the pieces that did not have heavier thousand island were a tad bland. Maybe some squirts of brown mustard with the thousand island would kick it up a notch. (thinking of Fazarri's "Shotzi")

If anyone has tried this and dialed it in, please let me know your method.

Sly, i've done this many many times and I wanted to suggest to you that before you top it next time, you should add a healthy amount of Caraway seeds. For me, that really put it over the top cause it really added that rye flavor to the dough. Just enough without taking over. And you're spot on with the dijon, it really makes a difference, just make sure you brush it on or something to keep it thin. Have you ever tried brushing on some dijon under the sauce on a regular pizza? It sounds wierd but it's actually really good...
"Conveyor ovens make McPizza." - Scott123

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 09:19:17 AM »
Sly, i've done this many many times and I wanted to suggest to you that before you top it next time, you should add a healthy amount of Caraway seeds. For me, that really put it over the top cause it really added that rye flavor to the dough. Just enough without taking over. And you're spot on with the dijon, it really makes a difference, just make sure you brush it on or something to keep it thin. Have you ever tried brushing on some dijon under the sauce on a regular pizza? It sounds wierd but it's actually really good...

Good tips. Thank you. I will incorporate those next time.

I haven't tried mustard under the sauce but did see it mentioned in a thread a while back by someone who did that in their pizza shop. I'll have to add it to the "to try" list.