Author Topic: Would this qualify as Chicago thin crust?  (Read 1068 times)

Offline redox

Would this qualify as Chicago thin crust?
« on: May 14, 2013, 07:25:22 PM »
Here's a local place that's been making their pizzas for 56 years. It's the only place I've found in town that makes them like this. This was a sausage and mushroom but they forgot the 'shrooms.  ???

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
Re: Would this qualify as Chicago thin crust?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 07:30:59 PM »
Here's a local place that's been making their pizzas for 56 years. It's the only place I've found in town that makes them like this. This was a sausage and mushroom but they forgot the 'shrooms.  ???

Except for them being in Toledo, Ohio, it looks like a typical Chicago thin crust (or a Midwestern variation),
although the pics suggest that they didn't do the full box-cut (no middle squares).

Can you describe the sauce and the sausage?
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline redox

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 05:57:27 PM »
Except for them being in Toledo, Ohio, it looks like a typical Chicago thin crust (or a Midwestern variation),
although the pics suggest that they didn't do the full box-cut (no middle squares).

Can you describe the sauce and the sausage?
Sorry I didn't answer, we had a movie marathon last night before the dvr was changed out for a new model today. I would've waited till we caught up but it was failing fast.
I'm no expert on sauces (or any pizza related matter) but it has a good tomato flavor and is mildly spicy. They do make it in house. The sausage has gone downhill, though. It is a bit hot but not a lot of flavor. It used to be much better. I smelled a bit of fennel but couldn't taste it. I haven't ordered one since I found this site and now I'm really glad I'm starting to make my own pizzas because they're going to have trouble keeping customers at the rate they're declining.
The crust is still really good. Flaky, almost pastry-like. I wish I knew how they made it.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 07:21:49 PM »
I would order that with extra sauce.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 09:03:31 PM »
Yep, it's a Midwest-style thin crust!  (I'm not sure why this style gets referred to as Chicago-style thin crust.  I realize that Chicago must have it's own local peculiarities, but really thin crust in Chicago is a variant of the more general midwest-style).   :chef: 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 09:19:06 PM »
Yep, it's a Midwest-style thin crust!  (I'm not sure why this style gets referred to as Chicago-style thin crust.  I realize that Chicago must have it's own local peculiarities, but really thin crust in Chicago is a variant of the more general midwest-style).   :chef:
Possibly because that is where it originated?
"Midwest style" was around before Chicago thin?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 09:20:44 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 09:37:23 PM »
Possibly because that is where it originated?

Possibly, but I haven't seen any evidence that the style originated in Chicago and then spread out to the rest of the midwest.  :chef:  If that did happen, I really wish it could be documented (as it would be really cool). 

I've always thought the pizza came to all of the midwest around the same time (post WWII).  In Minneapolis/St. Paul, most of the big established pizza shops nowadays started back in the 50s and 60s.  I thought the name "Chicago-style thin" was used simply because Chicago is the biggest midwest city, so it gets all the glory.  But in the midwest (outside of Chicago), you would never call your local pizza a "chicago-style" thin crust...  It's just how the local mom n' pop pizza is!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 09:54:38 PM »
Possibly, but I haven't seen any evidence that the style originated in Chicago and then spread out to the rest of the midwest.  :chef:  If that did happen, I really wish it could be documented (as it would be really cool). 

I've always thought the pizza came to all of the midwest around the same time (post WWII).  In Minneapolis/St. Paul, most of the big established pizza shops nowadays started back in the 50s and 60s.  I thought the name "Chicago-style thin" was used simply because Chicago is the biggest midwest city, so it gets all the glory. But in the midwest (outside of Chicago), you would never call your local pizza a "chicago-style" thin crust...  It's just how the local mom n' pop pizza is!
Exactly, I recently read somewhere...possibly from Scott123?  that the Italians in NY that went West to Chicago; all basically started out there in the City but many quickly then s[read throughout the Midwest starting up shops with their Chicago thin pizza's...and like you said CDN ya can't call a pizza "Chicago pizza" if you are in Cleveland. Just as the Immigrants in Chicago could not call their pizzas "Rome pies" or "Bronx Pizza".  ;D

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 10:13:41 PM »
^^right, but one can also get NY pizza, neopolitan pizza, or Chicago deep dish in the rest of the midwest, and it is generally labelled as such.  But as I said, you would never buy Chicago-style thin crust in Minneapolis.

I'm not sold on Scott's theory that that midwestern thin originated from NY style.  There's just no evidence of it (that i've seen, anyhow), and essentially everything about these styles is different.  Most of the pizza shops I'm familiar with were opened in the '50s or '60s either by Minnesota natives, or by Italian immigrants looking to start a family business.  Most of Minnesota was settled by new immigrants, not New Yorkers immigrating out to the prairies!  :chef:  Why they decided to roll out the dough without a rim, however, I do not know... but I simply can't see anyone from NYC using a sheeter or rolling pin to "ruin" what they consider the best dough in the world!  So I just don't see how the midwest-style (post WWII) is rooted or really even related to what started in NYC around the turn of the century.

What we need is for someone to spend a year or two researching this and writing a book about the origins of pizza in america.   :chef:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:21:51 PM by CDNpielover »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 10:22:56 PM »
^^right, but one can also get NY pizza, neopolitan pizza, or Chicago deep dish in the rest of the midwest, and it is generally labelled as such.  But as I said, you would never buy Chicago-style thin crust in Minneapolis.

I'm not sold on Scott's theory that that midwestern thin originated from NY style.  There's just no evidence of it (that i've seen, anyhow).  Also, essentially everything about these styles is different.  And, most of the pizza shops i'm familiar with were opened either by locals, or by italian immigrants looking to start a family business.  Most of Minnesota was settled by new immigrants, not New Yorkers immigrating out to the prairies!  :chef:  Also, I really can't see anyone from NYC using a sheeter or rolling pin to "ruin" what they consider the best dough in the world!  So I just don't see how the midwest-style (post WWII) is rooted or really even related to what was happening in NYC in the early 1900s.

What we need is for someone to spend a year or two researching this and writing a book about the origins of pizza in america.   :chef:
I said possibly Scott and no mention that Chi/Midwest originated from NY style pizza...only the Ellis Island people.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 11:19:25 PM »

Haha--I had some SOB on Facebook try to tell me that John's Pizza in Calumet City was "Iowa Style Pizza."

As if...

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 11:24:15 PM »
Haha--I had some SOB on Facebook try to tell me that John's Pizza in Calumet City was "Iowa Style Pizza."

As if...
I think I know that guy Garvey....he from Minnahsoda!  ;D

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 08:55:28 PM »
ahhh yes...IOWA  the pizza mecca!!!! 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 09:03:39 PM »
ahhh yes...IOWA  the pizza mecca!!!!
I think I'll have my first "Chicago Bob's Pizza Summit" there!!  :chef:

pizzapan