Author Topic: The worst restaurant in the world, including pizza  (Read 1719 times)

Offline pizza dr

Re: The worst restaurant in the world, including pizza
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 08:06:27 AM »
Thanks Bill

I needed that

Scot

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 09:40:15 AM »
Just some late night musings:

These two clearly operate in the default setting - the world revolves around them and everyone else is to blame for their woes. Every bad decision they make based on a very warped view of the world creates consequences that reinforce that view and makes it impossible for them to pay attention to what is really happening. You have to wonder about the decision to appear on the show much less everything that have done since.

I was so fascinated with what I heard in the edited version you posted, that I also listened to the full live recording of Wallace’s address right after. A couple things he said come to mind here:

"Worship power, you will end up feeling weak and afraid, and you will need ever more power over others to numb you to your own fear... But the insidious thing about these forms of worship is not that they’re evil or sinful, it’s that they’re unconscious. They are default settings. They’re the kind of worship you just gradually slip into, day after day, getting more and more selective about what you see and how you measure value without ever being fully aware that that’s what you’re doing."

"It is extremely difficult to stay alert and attentive, instead of getting hypnotized by the constant monologue inside your own head (may be happening right now)… It means being conscious and aware enough to choose what you pay attention to and to choose how you construct meaning from experience. Because if you cannot exercise this kind of choice in adult life, you will be totally hosed."

And what about Ramsay? If we could see the unedited video, would he come across as the benevolent mentor simply trying to help them improve their business or is he doing a Jerry Springer, egging the owners on and punching all the right buttons so that viewers can feel a sense of schadenfreude and superiority in the name of ratings?

I suspect there is a measure of truth in this. Edited television is just that.  Now if they really want to get some ratings, they should figure out how to get ABC Baking on Bar Rescue and let them go head-to-head with John Taffer.
Pizza is not bread.

Mal

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 09:55:59 AM »
If the couple in question had a less "temperamental" approach to their business, it would not have made for the sort of "entertainment" the show's producers (and presumably audience) generally expect. I'm afraid I find this type of "reality show" rather uncomfortable to watch. The couple clearly need help beyond the scope of celebrity chefs and reddit commenters regardless of how they project themselves or others wish to frame them.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 11:01:13 AM »
Yes Mal but they are adults.  As adults we make decisions and choices that are attached to outcomes and sometimes consequences.  If they can not even slow down enough to listen, then they are responsible for their choices.  Yes they need help but how do you help someone who denies it exists and refuses help?

Mal

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 11:14:44 AM »
Yes Mal but they are adults.  As adults we make decisions and choices that are attached to outcomes and sometimes consequences.  If they can not even slow down enough to listen, then they are responsible for their choices.  Yes they need help but how do you help someone who denies it exists and refuses help?

Agreed entirely. However neither you or I know these people on a personal level. All we see is the public spectacle they've projected ( and are responsible for in a large way).  I don't begin to know or understand what this couple needs or would be willing to accept, adult or not but it's clearly not going to be from television or the audience they've engaged.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 11:25:54 AM »
I agree Mal.  I'm sure they have their good and bad moments like the rest of us.  Unfortunately this type of behavior and mentality is becoming more common these days.  A byproduct of our culture and fast paced society perhaps? And yes they should be helped rather made a spectacle of, but as you said it is reality television.  It is unfortunate BUT there is such a thing as common sense.  You can not scream at customers and chase them out of the door for complaining about the long wait.  Those are lessons they should have learned a long time ago.  You can't fix their business until you fix them.  They need therapy not Ramsey Gordon.  They need a dose of reality,  not more hand holding and coddling.  I suspect that's how they ended up that way. 

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 11:26:31 AM »
Just some late night musings

The broader subject at hand here is something that is near and dear to me, and it strikes me that Wallace’s message is, in a way, confused and at odds with itself. And while it’s well intentioned and very powerful on the surface, it is wrong in some ways.

“But most days, if you’re aware enough to give yourself a choice, you can choose to look differently at this fat, dead-eyed, over-made-up lady who just screamed at her kid in the checkout line. Maybe she’s not usually like this. Maybe she’s been up three straight nights holding the hand of a husband who is dying of bone cancer. Or maybe this very lady is the low-wage clerk at the motor vehicle department, who just yesterday helped your spouse resolve a horrific, infuriating, red-tape problem through some small act of bureaucratic kindness. Of course, none of this is likely, but it’s also not impossible. It just depends what you want to consider. If you’re automatically sure that you know what reality is and who and what is really important, and you are operating on your default setting, then you, like me, probably won’t consider possibilities that aren’t annoying and miserable. But if you really learn to think, how to pay attention, then you will know there are other options. It will actually be within your power to experience a crowded, hot, slow, consumer-hell type situation as not only meaningful, but sacred, on fire with the same force that lit the stars: love, fellowship, the mystical oneness of all things deep down.”

The problem I have with his message is that by his definition, when you choose to turn off the default setting and look at the world in a different way, you are doing it for you – not for others – not for the lady who has been up for three nights with her dying husband – not for the kind soul that helped your wife at the DMV. You are doing it to benefit yourself – to experience “the mystical oneness” and “Because if you cannot exercise this kind of choice in adult life, you will be totally hosed.” If you look at it this way, it’s still all about you. You have NOT turned off the default setting, and you are still the “absolute centre of the universe.”

“ Here is just one example of the total wrongness of something I tend to be automatically sure of: everything in my own immediate experience supports my deep belief that I am the absolute centre of the universe… We rarely think about this sort of natural, basic self-centredness because it’s so socially repulsive.

He’s absolutely right, but what he suggests at this point doesn’t even begin to address turning off the default setting. It simply rotates the universe around us a little where we see it from a different direction but still from the center.  And he’s right that even a tiny change in the view such as what he suggests is repulsive to most of us. Think about that for a minute... Not only do we gravitate to the view from the center of the universe, we’re even selfish about which view we take from the center.

“Not that that mystical stuff is necessarily true. The only thing that is Capital T true is that you get to decide how you are going to try see it… You get to consciously decide what has meaning and what doesn’t… (a lot is cut out in the edited version here) that is real freedom… The alternative is unconsciousness. The default setting.”

Tip-toeing around the ban on religion here, I would suggest that simply changing your view while remaining in the center of the universe is not freedom, and neither is deciding what has meaning and what doesn't. In both, you are still controlled by selfish motives and you are still in the default setting. This is what is Capital T true if you think this way.

I was troubled when he suggested this is a way to experience love, because there is nothing selfish in Capital L Love. Towards the end (in the full version), however, he takes a big step in the right direction. Here he is Capital T Truly talking about changing out of the default setting and freeing yourself to Capital L Love your neighbor. This is life changing freedom.

“And the so-called real world will not discourage you from operating on your default settings,… Our own present culture has harnessed these forces in ways that have yielded extraordinary wealth and comfort and personal freedom. The freedom all to be lords of our tiny skull-sized kingdoms, alone at the centre of all creation... But of course there are all different kinds of freedom, and the kind that is most precious you will not hear much talk about much in the great outside world of wanting and achieving. The really important kind of freedom involves attention and awareness and discipline, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them over and over in myriad petty, unsexy ways every day. That is real freedom.”

Pizza is not bread.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 11:39:58 AM »

The really important kind of freedom involves attention and awareness and discipline, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them over and over in myriad petty, unsexy ways every day. That is real freedom.”

Words to Capital L Live by.

I really like the way this thread has taken a turn towards the most positive aspects of being human. It is emblematic of the character of the people who make this such a great forum.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013, 04:10:48 PM »
She is mentally ill, I am not sure what his deal is.
I am a gangster: Sammy
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2013, 04:43:42 PM »

Words to Capital L Live by.

I really like the way this thread has taken a turn towards the most positive aspects of being human. It is emblematic of the character of the people who make this such a great forum.

Agreed. There have been a few threads on this forum over the years that have made me sit back and reflect. Amazing what you can find on a pizza making forum, if you care to look.

This thread is one of them. Then there is Omids thread of course, the discussion of arrangiarsi and others.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2013, 07:36:28 PM »
She is mentally ill, I am not sure what his deal is.
According to a local news station out there she is also a felon who served time for bank fraud.
And I would not be surprised if Ramsey's people knew this.  ;)

Online jeffereynelson

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2013, 08:10:40 PM »
You know the most surprising part of this was the fact that her food was probably the best food I have ever seen on an episode of Kitchen Nightmares. I mean his critique was a bun was too soggy, a pizza to sweet, and frozen ravioli? I mean he normally find roaches and moldy food being served. It's sad because if these people didn't suffer from whatever it is they do suffer from, it would seem as if there business would do pretty well. I read their early yelp reviews before the show aired and the reviews were pretty solid when it was about the food. The negative was only about management.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2013, 08:18:04 PM »
You know the most surprising part of this was the fact that her food was probably the best food I have ever seen on an episode of Kitchen Nightmares. I mean his critique was a bun was too soggy, a pizza to sweet, and frozen ravioli? I mean he normally find roaches and moldy food being served. It's sad because if these people didn't suffer from whatever it is they do suffer from, it would seem as if there business would do pretty well. I read their early yelp reviews before the show aired and the reviews were pretty solid when it was about the food. The negative was only about management.
I don't think Ramsay "gets the call" simply over broken management.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2013, 08:21:11 PM »
Well, the pizza wasn't cooked, and I can fix frozen ravioli at home... That said, I have never seen the show before, and my understanding is that she did not cook the deserts either, even though she said flat out that she did.  Regardless, a successful restaurant is about 50% food quality and 50% service and ambiance.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2013, 08:22:36 PM »
And that doesn't mean you can have crappy food and great ambiance (short of nudity) and be a success, but it does mean you can make the best food in the world and still go broke.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2013, 08:26:48 PM »
Well, the pizza wasn't cooked, and I can fix frozen ravioli at home... That said, I have never seen the show before, and my understanding is that she did not cook the deserts either, even though she said flat out that she did.  Regardless, a successful restaurant is about 50% food quality and 50% service and ambiance.
I believe that was the cause for Ramsay to blow the first fuse...the deserts were repackaged Walmart products and the husband said "this is America...everything is repackaged!". The same guy who keeps the tips and said that he is a Gangster.  :)

Online jeffereynelson

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2013, 08:44:09 PM »
I don't think Ramsay "gets the call" simply over broken management.

It normally seems to me that those are the only things he gets calls for in his episodes. They normally spend like 2/3 of the show around non-cooking problems.

Ya it was a little undercooked it seemed, part of me wondered if she was victim of a bad gum layer. I also think most chain places that serve ravioli use frozen ravioli don't they? Not that this makes it tasty, just the fact that it isn't strange behavior or warranting failure.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2013, 08:54:09 PM »
It normally seems to me that those are the only things he gets calls for in his episodes. They normally spend like 2/3 of the show around non-cooking problems.

Ya it was a little undercooked it seemed, part of me wondered if she was victim of a bad gum layer. I also think most chain places that serve ravioli use frozen ravioli don't they? Not that this makes it tasty, just the fact that it isn't strange behavior or warranting failure.
Ramsay is a pro chef there to turn it around...the first thing he does is bring their menu out an show them how sucky they are....the other 2/3 you mention is the drama(required for ratings)stemming from the loser owners trying to get with the program. You do watch the show all the way through, right?

Offline bjshaver

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
Bill...thanks for posting the excellent video.

Craig...your analysis in your post at 11:26am today is outstanding, and was a real pleasure to read and contemplate.  Your neurons and glia are clearly in good shape; would you mind doing a regression analysis for me?  ;D  Thanks!

Online jeffereynelson

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2013, 10:10:51 PM »
You do watch the show all the way through, right?

Yes, of course.

pizzapan