Author Topic: Mustard Pizza after watching Pizza Cuz  (Read 4774 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Mustard Pizza after watching Pizza Cuz
« on: May 14, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
Steve and I decided to try a “Mustard Pie” after watching the Pizza Cuz show last evening.  I had Roland's Extra strong mustard at market, so we just added some olive oil and water to the mustard and used a squeeze bottle to apply the mustard. 

I don't think we added enough cheese and sauce, but that pizza was surprisingly good.  We even tried a Detroit style pizza with mustard after the first pizza.  Somehow the mustard was good on this pizza and the Detroit style pizza.  I never would have thought to use mustard on a pizza that way if I had not watched Papa's making a “Mustard Pie”. 

My taste testers and a few customers also liked the mustard pie.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Mustard Pizza after watching Pizza Cuz
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 10:00:30 PM »
Norma

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 10:53:19 PM »
YaYYYYYY!!!!    Pizza looks excellent!!   Try mixing your mustard with equal part of mayo....this will tone it down, but it will have great flavor.  Sauce your pizza with the mustard just as if it were tomato sauce, and then try something like pepperoni and pineapple, or linguica with sauerkraut, or mushroom and beef.  I use 10 gallons of this type of sauce each week and its huge!!!!

John

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 11:05:33 PM »
YaYYYYYY!!!!    Pizza looks excellent!!   Try mixing your mustard with equal part of mayo....this will tone it down, but it will have great flavor.  Sauce your pizza with the mustard just as if it were tomato sauce, and then try something like pepperoni and pineapple, or linguica with sauerkraut, or mushroom and beef.  I use 10 gallons of this type of sauce each week and its huge!!!!

John

John,

Thanks so much for giving your recipe with mustard an mayo and the added ingredients to try.  ;D  Sounds very good to me.  :drool: Will give it a try. 

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 11:45:07 PM »

John
fazzari, if you don't mind my asking....what part of the Country are you selling your awesome pizzas in?

Thanks,
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 12:26:38 AM »
Great work Norma!  That pie looks amazing.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 02:01:09 AM »
fazzari, if you don't mind my asking....what part of the Country are you selling your awesome pizzas in?

Thanks,
Bob
The great state of Washington!!
Why do I get the feeling you just asked a cynical question??

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 09:00:02 AM »
Great work Norma!  That pie looks amazing.

Bill,

Thanks!

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 04:17:45 PM »
 (Norma, I once made a ham n cheese on rye crust pizza with a creamy mustard sauce and it was quite good, problem is ,I have lost the link to the mustard sauce recipe! :'(

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 05:01:57 PM »
The great state of Washington!!
Why do I get the feeling you just asked a cynical question??
No, no John. I think it is interesting that you go through 10 gallons a week of the mustard sauce and am just curious to who is eating this stuff. Norma is on the other side of the Country yet I have a feeling this sauce could possible be a hit there also. Interesting.

Bob

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 06:21:35 PM »
(Norma, I once made a ham n cheese on rye crust pizza with a creamy mustard sauce and it was quite good, problem is ,I have lost the link to the mustard sauce recipe! :'(

Dave,

Your ham and cheese on rye crust sounds interesting.  :P I am glad you liked your creamy mustard sauce on that pizza.  Sorry to hear you lost the link to the mustard sauce recipe.  :(

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 06:23:04 PM »
John,

I wonder if you can share what type or brand of mustard you combine with mayo.  If you can't that is okay.

Norma

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 09:57:14 PM »
John,

I wonder if you can share what type or brand of mustard you combine with mayo.  If you can't that is okay.

Norma
That's a very interesting question Norma, only because I've been called from people all over the place wanting to know the secret.  Sometimes you give people the truth and it's so simple they think for sure you are pulling their leg.  We use the regular yellow mustard you get in any grocery store in the balloon yellow plastic bottle....except we buy it by the case of course.  We also add just a bit of black pepper.  Don't let the flavor of the sauce by itself fool you...it's when you get the perfect mixture of toppings that it all comes together!

John

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 10:22:17 PM »
That's a very interesting question Norma, only because I've been called from people all over the place wanting to know the secret.  Sometimes you give people the truth and it's so simple they think for sure you are pulling their leg.  We use the regular yellow mustard you get in any grocery store in the balloon yellow plastic bottle....except we buy it by the case of course.  We also add just a bit of black pepper.  Don't let the flavor of the sauce by itself fool you...it's when you get the perfect mixture of toppings that it all comes together!

John
I think that is really neat John.  :chef:
So then do you have a couple "specialty" pies with the correct topping combos on your menu where the customers can get this sauce?

Bob

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 10:40:57 PM »
I think that is really neat John.  :chef:
So then do you have a couple "specialty" pies with the correct topping combos on your menu where the customers can get this sauce?

Bob

Bob
The pizza below is called a Shotsy.  We created it quite by accident to serve during pizza month or pizza week or something like that.  It has mustard sauce, swiss cheese, mozzarella, smoked polish sausage, sauerkraut, and onions.  If I told you how much of this we sold, you would never believe me.  We also have 3 other specialty pizzas on the menu with this sauce, but the truth is, there are a lot of people who just don't like tomato sauce, and they use the mustard sauce on any pizza they order.
John

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 10:56:54 PM »
Bob
The pizza below is called a Shotsy.  We created it quite by accident to serve during pizza month or pizza week or something like that.  It has mustard sauce, swiss cheese, mozzarella, smoked polish sausage, sauerkraut, and onions.  If I told you how much of this we sold, you would never believe me.  We also have 3 other specialty pizzas on the menu with this sauce, but the truth is, there are a lot of people who just don't like tomato sauce, and they use the mustard sauce on any pizza they order.
John
Ha!  My German GF's father was Polish...he always called her mein shatz. My dear treasure.
That pizza is a beauty John and sounds delicious.  :chef:

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 06:30:34 AM »
Bob
John

I could almost taste that pie! I bet it's delicious.
Il miglior fabbro

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2013, 09:34:35 AM »

John

Bob
John

John,

Thanks so much for sharing how you make your mustard and mayo sauce.  I can believe people would think that was way too simple if you told them really how you make it.  Your experimenting sure is great in not only making doughs and then the final pizzas, but also your combinations of creative toppings.  I wish I lived closer to you so I could try your pizzas!  The Shotsy is a beautiful creation.   ;D

Norma

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2013, 04:22:45 PM »
I am intrigued by the mustard pie. It is on my 'to do' list.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2013, 04:52:17 PM »
fazzari,

For the "Shotsy" (fitting name!) - I noticed you use a liberal amount of raw onions. I bet that has some nice bite to it. Do you offer the "Shotsy" with sweated/sauteed onions as well? I'm curious if any of your customer make this request.
Il miglior fabbro

pizzapan