Author Topic: Mustard Pizza after watching Pizza Cuz  (Read 5566 times)

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Re: Mustard Pizza after watching Pizza Cuz
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2013, 05:21:20 PM »
fazzari,

For the "Shotsy" (fitting name!) - I noticed you use a liberal amount of raw onions. I bet that has some nice bite to it. Do you offer the "Shotsy" with sweated/sauteed onions as well? I'm curious if any of your customer make this request.

In the over 25 years that we've made this, I've never had that request....and to be honest, we wouldn't have time to honor such a request anyway.  When we started this pizza, the onions were placed under the sauerkraut, which makes a prettier pizza.  But over time, we placed them on top, to make it easier to pick them off when our guests forget to request to leave them off.  They are put on before the bake, but 6 minutes in a 575 degree oven doesn't demolish them.  Also, as time has gone on, it seems to me that onions are much, much milder than they used to be.  Even an onion lover like me used to refuse to eat them in my favorite Chinese restaurant because they were so strong and hot....for some reason that has all changed.  Of course I'm in sweet onion heaven here, only 100 miles from Walla Walla.

John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 10:10:33 PM »
I turned my oven down in temperature for all my bakes today and it seemed to work well.  This was John's Shotsy pizza Steve and I tried today.  It sure was quite good  ;D, but I didn't think to purchase any swiss to try on the pizza. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 10:13:29 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 10:15:45 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 07:55:08 AM »
Yesterday I remembered to add Swiss cheese to the mustard and mayo pizza.  I also didn't use the cheese I am regularly am using and changed to skim whole milk mozzarella.  The one other thing that Steve and I did different was we added more Kewpie mayonnaise to the mustard and mayonnaise mixture that was made last week.  Last week we had used French's mustard, some Hellman's mayonnaise and some Kewpie mayonnaise.  So this week there was more mayonnaise than mustard as the sauce base.

The mustard and mayo pizza turned out totally different yesterday.  I used smoked Polish Kielbasa that I had purchased at a nearby market stand (the same sausage that was used last week).  I did change the kind of sauerkraut I used this week to a Homemade sauerkraut that I purchased at market from the Silver Floss sauerkraut used last week.  The Swiss cheese was also purchased at market and was a mild Swiss cheese.  I didn't know how the Swiss cheese would melt on the pizza, but it melted well in combination with the skim whole milk mozzarella.  The same onion was used on the pizza (Vidalia).

Last week the pizza that was made almost tasted like a hot dog with sauerkraut, mustard and onion.  This week the pizza tasted totally different.  The combination of everything made it taste like something I never tried before on a pizza and sure was a delight.  I am not sure if the different sauerkraut (which was much finer in cut, milder tasting and drier) was responsible for the totally different taste, or if the extra Kewpie mayonnaise added gave this pizza the totally different taste.  The pizza was very good in my opinion though.   

What also stumped me was how this pizza browned totally different on the bottom crust than any other of the pizzas I made yesterday with my regular dough balls that I used on the boardwalk thread.  The brownness on the bottom crust is what I would like to achieve in all of my pizzas, but can never do that.  That is a question for the experts in why the bottom crust browned totally different than last week, or totally different than any of my regular pizza made over the course of a day at market.  I know there are always mysteries about how pizzas brown on the bottom crust, but this pizza gave me pause to think about what might have been different that might have made the bottom crust brown differently.  The oven temperature was the same as last week and the bake time was about the same too.  This bottom crust has everything I want in taste, brownness and how it was crisp, at least for me.  Dang pizzas and trying to figure out what happened.  :-D It is a never ending journey and can lead you to a great pizza one time and then let you down the next time.    :o

John, thanks so much for your idea of trying a “Shotsy” pizza.  ;D It sure took me on a great pizza journey, even if it was only for one pizza.  I really liked this pizza.

I can't imagine that Papa's mustard pizza would be any better, but I sure don't know because I didn't try a Mustard pizza when Bill and I were at Papa's the other week.

In the last photo of the sauerkraut and Swiss cheese that is another pizza, not the "Shotsy" pizza.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 07:58:42 AM »
Norma

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 08:16:08 AM »
Gorgeous pizzas Norma!!!!!!  We actually use a processed Swiss (instead of the real stuff), and what it does is add a creaminess quality to the mozzarella.  We break up a couple slices into small pieces and spread them on the mozzarella.  And as for sauerkraut, we use a fresh pack kraut, that is so very mild, even people who don't like sauerkraut adore the pizza.  Anyhow, not a bad little combination for starting out as an accident!!  Great job as always!!
John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 08:47:27 AM »
Gorgeous pizzas Norma!!!!!!  We actually use a processed Swiss (instead of the real stuff), and what it does is add a creaminess quality to the mozzarella.  We break up a couple slices into small pieces and spread them on the mozzarella.  And as for sauerkraut, we use a fresh pack kraut, that is so very mild, even people who don't like sauerkraut adore the pizza.  Anyhow, not a bad little combination for starting out as an accident!!  Great job as always!!
John

John,

Thanks!  I don't think I ever heard or saw processed Swiss, but maybe I really wasn't looking for it in the first place.  I can understand that the processed Swiss would add a creaminess though.  The pizza I made last week had a stronger sauerkraut taste, but the one that was made yesterday sure didn't have any sauerkraut taste that I could detect.  I say your combinations were great for an accidental pizza that you started.   ;D :chef:

Norma