Author Topic: Error in Tom Lehmann's New York Style Pizza Recipe?  (Read 700 times)

Offline isaacc

• I Love Pizza!
Error in Tom Lehmann's New York Style Pizza Recipe?
« on: May 10, 2013, 02:54:13 PM »

Is there perhaps an error in the Tom Lehmann's New York Style Pizza Recipe that's in the recipes section of the web site? The recipe text mentions sugar a couple of times, but sugar is not one of the listed ingredients.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Error in Tom Lehmann's New York Style Pizza Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 04:05:06 PM »
Is there perhaps an error in the Tom Lehmann's New York Style Pizza Recipe that's in the recipes section of the web site? The recipe text mentions sugar a couple of times, but sugar is not one of the listed ingredients.

isaacc,

You are correct. There is an omission in the recipe you referenced. That recipe originated with the PMQ Recipe Bank at http://www.pmq.com/Recipe-Bank/index.php/name/New-York-Style-Pizza/record/57724/. The omission of the sugar has been pointed out several times before, including over at the PMQ Think Tank, but never corrected.

My recollection from other things that Tom has written is that he recommends that sugar be used in the NY style dough only when the cold fermentation period is to exceed two or three days. A typical percent might be 1-2%.

Peter

Offline MrPibbs

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 10:58:05 PM »
isaacc,

You are correct. There is an omission in the recipe you referenced. That recipe originated with the PMQ Recipe Bank at http://www.pmq.com/Recipe-Bank/index.php/name/New-York-Style-Pizza/record/57724/. The omission of the sugar has been pointed out several times before, including over at the PMQ Think Tank, but never corrected.

My recollection from other things that Tom has written is that he recommends that sugar be used in the NY style dough only when the cold fermentation period is to exceed two or three days. A typical percent might be 1-2%.

Peter

Pete, just out of curiosity, why would Tom recommend sugar if cold ferment was longer than 2-3 days?  It would seem that sugar speeds up the ferment and would help a shorter ferment time, but maybe I'm missing something?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 06:50:41 AM »
Pete, just out of curiosity, why would Tom recommend sugar if cold ferment was longer than 2-3 days?  It would seem that sugar speeds up the ferment and would help a shorter ferment time, but maybe I'm missing something?
MrPibbs,

The recipe in question does not call for any sugar. So, over the course of a few days, the yeast is fed from simple sugars that come from the conversion of damaged starch in the flour to forms of sugar that yeast can use (it can only feed off of simple sugars, which sucrose is not). After a couple of days or so, the amount of natural sugars can be low, so sucrose, or ordinary table sugar, is added to the dough to replenish the supply of sugar to the yeast. Sucrose is a complex sugar that has to be broken down into natural sugars for the yeast to use but this takes time. Sucrose works well to provide crust coloration in the short term but it is because of its caramelization effects.

Peter