Author Topic: Modifying throat of FB Modena  (Read 1031 times)

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Modifying throat of FB Modena
« on: May 15, 2013, 01:59:23 PM »
Anyone think it might be possible to slice off the throat/landing of a FB Modena 120, with the intent of making a true Neapolitan vent? Anyone want to venture what tools would be needed?

http://www.fornobravo.com/commercial_pizza_oven/modena2g_ok.html

John
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 02:18:45 PM by dellavecchia »

Online TXCraig1

Re: Modifying throat of FO Modena
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 02:16:58 PM »
Wouldn't you need to slice off well behind the landing - behind the integral vent? I would think this would require re-engineering that particular segment of the oven kit.

Does the floor of that oven have the conductivity you want?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 02:21:49 PM »
Does the floor of that oven have the conductivity you want?

Nope. But it might be one of the only options I have in regards to conductivity. My main concern is an oven that heats up in 90 minutes, which these refractory ones do. But none of them (FGM, Le Paynol, etc.) have the throat to make a NP vent. And the Modena is the only one with the correct oven opening shape.

The other drawback to the Modena is the height of the dome is a bit too high. How high is the Acunto inside dome?

John

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 02:40:38 PM »
Nope. But it might be one of the only options I have in regards to conductivity. My main concern is an oven that heats up in 90 minutes, which these refractory ones do. But none of them (FGM, Le Paynol, etc.) have the throat to make a NP vent. And the Modena is the only one with the correct oven opening shape.

The other drawback to the Modena is the height of the dome is a bit too high. How high is the Acunto inside dome?

John

15.5" if I remember right.
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

Re: Modifying throat of FB Modena
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 02:46:35 PM »
What if you just cut it off at the brick facade (or just don't use if not attached), plug the integral vent, and built a NP vent and chimney over the mouth? I think you could do where you wouldn't know the difference from looking at it.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 02:50:02 PM »
What if you just cut it off at the brick facade (or just don't use if not attached), plug the integral vent, and built a NP vent and chimney over the mouth? I think you could do where you wouldn't know the difference from looking at it.

Yeah, I thought of that, but it would just in essence be a Napoli. And I hate the way that front looks. I guess I could modify it a bit, though. I may look into that option.

John

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 02:58:23 PM »
The Napoli doesn't really have a Neapolitan vent does it? It looks like it vents out of the integral Modena vent hole in the top of the arch. I think the front of the Napoli is just ofr show. I don't think it does any venting. I'm talking about hanging a big metal Neapolitan vent on the front of the oven above the door like you see on my oven. It would look a lot different than a Napoli - the overhang above the mouth would 3-4X bigger than what you see on the Napoli and matched by a large marble landing below the door extending out from both sides of the oven.
Pizza is not bread.

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 08:13:15 AM »
I don't know why you would want to, but you could just cut the backside of the  pipe hole out and build up the vent to go over the top, pretty minor alteration really, but there is no gain other than moving the vent from the front to the center.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 12:25:57 PM »
Thanks Craig and Tom - The only reasoning behind this is aesthetics, so I appreciate your takes on the situation. It looks like it could be done - but I am hearing that FB's claim of a 90 minute heat time is more like 3 hours (which would make sense from 4 inch walls).

John

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 01:22:03 PM »
I would buy 90 minutes for a couple of pizzas, but if you want to churn them out, the longer the better.

Offline Barnstable

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 08:28:58 AM »
John,

The dome of the Modena 120 is also 15.5" high, fyi

Regards,

Barnstable

Offline txtanner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 04:41:49 PM »
I just found this thread which is ironic because I got a call from a client last week that wants me to modify 3 of these for him.I thank it's very doable but I would ask you what I asked him.Do you already own one and does this need to be mobile?If the answer is no and no there maybe better alternatives.If the answer is yes to either question than my answer would be let's get to planning a new build.Quadruplets born on one thread. Boy this is getting to be fun.If your doing this for aesthetic reasons than we gotta do it right.Look up canne rossa on facebook hes got a beautiful red Stephano Ferrara mobile that you can look at for inspiration.As far as and tools you'll need the usual masoniary tools plus a 4 inch angle grinder with a diamond wheel and a 9 inch grinder with a diamond wheel.As far a skills my professional opinion is that it won't take alot  of skill  but it does take a big collosal set of brass b**ls to chop the front of a perfectly good oven.We're not talking about just the bricks,you gotta cut it all the way back too the dome.If your still with me this far  we move into metal fabbing next.This step will require welding and fab skills or a buddy that can do it for you.It will be alot of work but well worth it if you already have the oven and there is just no way you'll be happy with it as it is.Are you in it for the pizza, or are you in it to build ovens?