Author Topic: So it begins...  (Read 2195 times)

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
Re: So it begins...
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 07:40:58 AM »
I wish I coulda' been there too! You've got a beautiful oven and those pies look outstanding! Man, I just had a party two days ago with 20 people (36 pies) and I already feel like having another one!!  Any of you guys wanna visit Japan? :-D

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 10:03:10 AM »
I wish I coulda' been there too! You've got a beautiful oven and those pies look outstanding! Man, I just had a party two days ago with 20 people (36 pies) and I already feel like having another one!!  Any of you guys wanna visit Japan? :-D

Thank you Fidel for both the compliments and the invitation! Better be careful what you ask for........ :-D

I too would like to have another party this weekend! The wife, well, not so much.

John K

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 10:11:58 AM »
...Better be careful what you ask for........ :-D

John, I kid you not! You, your skills and knowledge, as well as your family members & fellow pizzaiolo buddies are welcome anytime! If you can get to Kansai International Airport (KIX), I'll pick you up. I have a couple of empty rooms in my house and two kids who also love pizza who would love to have you!

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 05:25:55 AM »
Hanging out at Serpentelli's. . . .

Man,

JJ (mmmph) and my neighbor Kenny really fired it up tonight. . . .

How fun! I enjoyed the pizza pictures and the camaraderie between you three. Thank you!

Omid
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2013, 10:12:38 PM »
These are pizzas made with the leftover toppings from last week's party. I actually went to 65%HR on this 100% Caputo dough with 0.1% ADY (thanks JJ/mmmph) and 2.5% salt. Fermented in my POS Costco wine fridge at 51F x 36 hr bulk then 38 F fridge x 24 Hr. Brought to 72F 1 hr prior to bake.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2013, 10:22:58 PM »
Pies look great John; and so do the smiling happy kids....good times!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2013, 10:27:15 PM »
Pies look great John; and so do the smiling happy kids....good times!  :chef:

Bob,

Thanks! You are right about one thing, and I don't meant he pizza! The kids are the best part. I hope you will come down soon and join us!

John K

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2013, 11:29:51 PM »
What's on the various pies? Some appear obvious, but others not so much - they all look awesome.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 12:46:35 AM »
John, the pizzas are top notch!  Those wonderful smiles make every effort we put on making the pizzas worthwhile. 

Marlon

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 07:50:56 AM »
The kid in the last two pics has the same look that lottery winners have when they pose with the big check. In the background of one of the pics, I notice a bag of Nestle choco chips. Did some of that make it onto a pie?

And in full agreement with the others, very beautiful pies!! The first one looks like it has sliced, fresh Jalapeno peppers, or it could be a smaller bell pepper. I'd like to imagine it being spicy, so I will! Yummm!  :drool:

Offline derricktung

• Za Pi - Creating Neapolitan Style Pizza, One Dough at a Time
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 08:49:30 AM »
First off, what an awesome party... to have so many skilled pizza makers in one place throwing together pizzas for a crowd.  I'm envious and wish I was closer!  Make me wonder, outside of Jeff V and me, anyone else in Chicago care to get together for a Chicago based pie party?

John - some of your new pics with the pies show that you have in on some sort of paper... is that just butcher block paper?  Wax paper?  And have you tested it in terms of cutting your pies?  (Does it cut through the paper?)

I'm trying to figure out what to serve our market pies on (starting June 1st) and we're working with 9.5 to 10 inch pies... so far, paper plates hold up terribly, and the pizza circle rounds may be what we're going with... but if butcher paper holds up well, I might change over?

Check out our new venture - Za Pi - www.za314.com

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 11:25:46 AM »
First off, what an awesome party... to have so many skilled pizza makers in one place throwing together pizzas for a crowd.  I'm envious and wish I was closer!  Make me wonder, outside of Jeff V and me, anyone else in Chicago care to get together for a Chicago based pie party?

John - some of your new pics with the pies show that you have in on some sort of paper... is that just butcher block paper?  Wax paper?  And have you tested it in terms of cutting your pies?  (Does it cut through the paper?)

I'm trying to figure out what to serve our market pies on (starting June 1st) and we're working with 9.5 to 10 inch pies... so far, paper plates hold up terribly, and the pizza circle rounds may be what we're going with... but if butcher paper holds up well, I might change over?

Derrick,

I would highly recommend getting together with any like-minded pizza people in your area. During the course of the party on May 11, I gained a TREMENDOUS amount of insight from mmmph.

That is just parchment paper for the "to go" pies that we made at the end of the night. While it is great for helping the uncut pies slide into the 2 Gal Ziplock bags I have, it really isn't substantial enough to serve as a "plate" per se. How much are those pizza rounds? And if you are planning on "to go" pies, have you considered a FLAT paper bag? They are cheap and pretty effective. That's what they use at Santarpios in Boston. Its not a box, its a 15 or 16 inch flat bag like you'd get at a Hallmark store or something.

John K
What's on the various pies? Some appear obvious, but others not so much - they all look awesome.

CL

Craig,

Thank You! The first two Margarita pies came out looking even better --- but they were devoured by the guests. Shown here are the:   Pepperoni/Jalapeno,   Bacon/Onion (Raw bacon), and then the "to go" pies made by Tom (my friend), my son, and my daughter:  Bacon/Onion/Jalapeno,    Pepperoni (for school lunch this week!),    and Nutella/Chocolate chips/mini-marshmallows.

John K

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 11:36:08 AM »
John, the pizzas are top notch!  Those wonderful smiles make every effort we put on making the pizzas worthwhile. 
Marlon

Marlon,

You, among others are an inspiration for me in terms of the attainment of particular details that we strive for. So even though there may also be some "ugly" bubbles on some of the pies, the leoparding that Kenny and I achieved on the first two pies (and others not photographed!) really made us happy. I feel like I am making progress!

Thanks again!

John K
The kid in the last two pics has the same look that lottery winners have when they pose with the big check. In the background of one of the pics, I notice a bag of Nestle choco chips. Did some of that make it onto a pie?

And in full agreement with the others, very beautiful pies!! The first one looks like it has sliced, fresh Jalapeno peppers, or it could be a smaller bell pepper. I'd like to imagine it being spicy, so I will! Yummm!  :drool:

Fidel,

One of these nights I am going to pull out the video camera "a la f.montoya" and take some live action shots. Because as you and I both know, the still photos really don't capture the magic of these pizza gatherings as well as a video does. The jalapenos were particularly hot last night, and I have to play it safe with these delicate southern palates! If it were me, they'd be Habaneros or at least serranos!

And yes, my daughter who doesn't yet have any great interest in the banconista position, came out with the chips, some nutella, mini-marshmallows and powdered sugar and declared that she was going to make a dessert pizza -- and that she did!

John K

Offline derricktung

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2013, 12:12:21 PM »
Derrick,

I would highly recommend getting together with any like-minded pizza people in your area. During the course of the party on May 11, I gained a TREMENDOUS amount of insight from mmmph.

That is just parchment paper for the "to go" pies that we made at the end of the night. While it is great for helping the uncut pies slide into the 2 Gal Ziplock bags I have, it really isn't substantial enough to serve as a "plate" per se. How much are those pizza rounds? And if you are planning on "to go" pies, have you considered a FLAT paper bag? They are cheap and pretty effective. That's what they use at Santarpios in Boston. Its not a box, its a 15 or 16 inch flat bag like you'd get at a Hallmark store or something.

John K

Once the craze of building the oven, curing it, test running pies, and I get into a good routine at the market, I'll definitely have to pull together some folks in the Chicago area for a meal/knowledge share.

You have a good point... the rounds I"m using right now are from RD, and run 5 cents each.  Cheap, but since there are no sides, I can foresee someone dropping their pizza round or the pizza itself sliding off if they turn too fast or tip it too much.  (It's really just a round piece of cardboard).  Maybe I need to go with a larger round so that they have some finger space to hold it with... or put some type of cut into the larger rounds so that they can use it more effectively... hmm...

The "to go" pizza boxes at RD go for about 25 cents a box, so it's not terrible.  I just work them into the price for now.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2013, 12:18:08 PM »
Once the craze of building the oven, curing it, test running pies, and I get into a good routine at the market, I'll definitely have to pull together some folks in the Chicago area for a meal/knowledge share.

You have a good point... the rounds I"m using right now are from RD, and run 5 cents each.  Cheap, but since there are no sides, I can foresee someone dropping their pizza round or the pizza itself sliding off if they turn too fast or tip it too much.  (It's really just a round piece of cardboard).  Maybe I need to go with a larger round so that they have some finger space to hold it with... or put some type of cut into the larger rounds so that they can use it more effectively... hmm...

The "to go" pizza boxes at RD go for about 25 cents a box, so it's not terrible.  I just work them into the price for now.
You definitely want the round to be bigger than the pie. Get a die punch and put a thumb hole in each round ala artist pallet.  :)

Offline derricktung

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2013, 02:25:33 PM »
You definitely want the round to be bigger than the pie. Get a die punch and put a thumb hole in each round ala artist pallet.  :)

That's ingenious.  Now to find a die punch that would be appropriate for a thumb hole, and see if this would be easy to implement for 100+ pizzas a week... Thanks for the great idea!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2013, 04:13:02 PM »
That's ingenious.  Now to find a die punch that would be appropriate for a thumb hole, and see if this would be easy to implement for 100+ pizzas a week... Thanks for the great idea!
Maybe something like this...http://store.scrapbook.com/gb-fk9380.html?utm_source=amazon&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=productads&utm_content=gb-fk9380&kw=gb-fk9380&cmp=AMZ

This is probably as good as you'll get for a cheap plastic unit. I would look into something in steel too though. ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 04:14:50 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2013, 08:38:33 PM »
OK Fellas you are officially derailing this thread :)

John K

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2013, 09:04:05 PM »
OK Fellas you are officially derailing this thread :)

John K
Oooops, sorry. Thought I was just following your lead.  :(