Author Topic: Brainstorming for a Pizzeria Name (serving Neopolitan Pizza)  (Read 2336 times)

Offline CopperTop

• La cucina e per passione
    • Confessions of a Pizza Stalker
Hi Everyone,

Would love to hear your ideas for a pizzeria name! 

Some of my ideas:

1. Bufala, Pizza Napoletana ( with an abstract profile of a water buffalo, in black).  Got the idea from companies with a mascot, kind of catchy.  Like Geico (gecko), and Exxon (tiger)....

2. Occhi Folli, Pizza Napoletana  (occhi folli means crazy eyes, though it sounds more exotic in Italian).  My husband got the idea from the movie,"Harold and Kumar Goes to Guantanamo Bay".... they are both in police custody, and one of the cops points to Harold (who's Korean) and says, "what's with the crazy eyes?" I think it's hilarious!  For those of you who may not know, I'm Asian. When you go to a pizza in a big city, you are likely to find a male pizza maker, and maybe an Italian one.  And I'm kinda neither :)  Not sure if some Asians will find it offensive, but I think it's funny; I just don't take things too seriously.

3. Luna, Pizza Napoletana
4. Lucia Pizza Napoletana (I was told that saint names are typically used to name  pizzeria (i.e. Gennarro) , though I'm not religious at all. But I like to name Lucia.

5. Dolce Vita....might be too common.
6. Dolce Far Niente or some variation of it. It's been one of my favorite expressions, How sweet it is to do nothing..

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Brainstorming for a Pizzeria Name (serving Neopolitan Pizza)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 11:28:23 PM »
IMO, a great Neapolitan pizzeria is like a gallery for the art of the owner/pizzaiolo. It's very personal, and the name should reflect a significance that speaks to the passion and personality of the artist.

For example, I have contemplated a pizzeria, and I considered  naming it “Arrangiarsi.”

I knew nothing of Arrangiarsi before watching this video (vimeo.com/51355523). Doing some reading, I found the definition below, and I’m still captivated. It is very “me.”

“Arrangiarsi or the ability to ‘arrange oneself’ is all about overcoming obstacles. Italians love to jump fences, and they do it with an agile grace that people from Anglo-cultures can almost never pull off.

Flies more easily the radar than its English equivalent ‘to manage things’. ‘Manage’ implies the sceptre of command or at least the scrap of a plan. Artisans by tradition and temperament, Italians do not invest much confidence in management. ‘Arrangement’ is much more manual and works for craftsmen, not for kings.

Craftsmen know how to make things look beautiful, and they have transformative powers. They cannot turn stones to bread but they can make them into statues and at least feed the soul. We may not be able to eat this dusty marble, but we’ll squeeze nourishment out of it somehow. This is Italy’s best-loved game. There is no bigger accomplishment than making something out of nothing.”
http://www.theflorentine.net/articles/article-view.asp?issuetocId=1472

To me, this speaks to both the peasant history and artisan nature of Neapolitan pizza. It makes me think simple ingredients such as flour, water, salt, yeast, tomato, and even the pork jowl I was criticized for using over at Slice (something truly made from nothing – a part of the pig that is generally rendered) all transformed into things of beauty that feed the body as well as the soul. We actually can turn stone into bread so to speak.

It also defines my personal path to Neapolitan pizza. “Con l'arte di arrangiarsi si risolve tutto.” I have no formal training, but I know that with a bit of ingenuity I can figure out anything.

This is the type of thought that I believe should go into the name of a Neapolitan pizzeria.

With respect to the names you noted, I have a few thoughts:

You want people to know that you pour your heart into your pies (I hope) and when someone asks you about the name, you're going to tell them you got the idea from watching Harold and Kumar Goes to Guantanamo Bay? Seriously? Even worse, your employees will be laughing when they tell your customers where the name came from…

Luna was a city in Italy that was destroyed by the Arabs, or the moon. I’m not sure why you would associate either with pizza – or is it a “the moon is made of cheese thing?”

We have a pizzeria named Dolce Vita pizzeria here in Houston. I always thought the name was lacking imagination.

I think you might have trouble with Dolce and Far Niente wineries (sister properties) if you tried to use that name for a restaurant.

I kind of like the sound of Lucia Pizzeria Napoletana, but again you have no connection, so it’s meaningless and hollow. Not the message to send with a Neapolitan pizza, IMO.

Bufala or La Bufala maybe with very thoughtful branding (no pun intended). It’s a bit risky however given that the name is not that far off from a whole bunch of less than flattering slang terms.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 12:17:39 AM »

Craig, I appreciate your thoughtful comments.   You have made some good points.  My husband reminded me why I liked Lucia - it blends the names of both my kids, Luca and Mia. Though Mia (the oldest) would have a hard time seeing her name in the end!   I am still liking Bufala. Easy to say. Kind of like, Keste or Forcella.  I grew up in a town with water buffaloes working in the rice fields...In fact, the Asian water buffalo was brought over to Italy- just not sure who did.

Again, thanks for helping me brainstorm...I'm getting closer to what speaks to me.  I do know one thing for sure...making a Neopolitan pizza is definitely a work of art.  I used to draw portraitures and paint in oils, really involved with fine arts.  And I don't think this is any different for me. It's just as gratifying. 

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 11:31:36 AM »
                                                      MIA LUCA
                                            PIZZA NAPOLETANA

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 11:41:03 AM »
                                                      MIA LUCA
                                            PIZZA NAPOLETANA
You beat me to it.
I liked "senso unico", after the "one way" street signs in Italy; however I believe someone somewhere has done that.
As a supplier to restaurants both successful and otherwise, I suggest keep it easy for Americans to pronounce and  to remember.
--Clay

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 12:07:45 PM »
                                                      MIA LUCA
                                            PIZZA NAPOLETANA

I like that a lot. What an incredible inspiration every day when you go to work as well. If you could only hope to make pizza as beautiful as I'm sure your children are.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 12:34:07 PM »
I was anagramming MIA LUCA and there aren't many better than using the names as they are.

If you want to get cute you could do "Via Mia Luca" and make it look like a street sign.

There's a medical term "amicula" which a coat of white fibers , and there's a worm-type thing called amicula vestita. Both of those are nowhere near as good as the kids names "as is".

John K

Oh, BTW --- Jealous!! :P

Oh, One more thing, sorry:

My delightful sister-in-law is named Lucia. Its is pronounced "Loo-sha". I imagine that you would want people to pronounce your restaurant as they would in Italy, i.e. "Loo-chee-ah" or some version of that. This may serve as a point of confusion as you are trying to develop your brand.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 12:44:22 PM by Serpentelli »
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline derricktung

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 12:41:41 PM »
Great to hear you're going to open up a place!  Were you going to go mobile like we talked about, or storefront?

Mia Luca sounds phenomenal... think your kids would appreciate it?

I would disagree with Craig on the Occhi Folli.  It's an original name, and while it doesn't tie to your dedication/heart/soul of making pies, it will stand out and can be an interesting story if told correctly. 

While there can be a lot of meaning to a name, you don't always need a name with such deep thoughts...  many places are just known because of their quality as opposed to depth of name (Punch, Tony's Pizza Napoletana, Flour and Stone, Crust, Piece, MOD, pieology, 800 degrees, Blaze, etc.)  One could argue that these aren't all high quality places (I would agree), but in the mind of the consumer, these places must have been standout for them, which is why the name carries.

I'm all for deeper meanings to names... I just don't think it's a necessity.  As long as your pie is delicious, people will find you and be focused on your pie.  The name, if not simple, can potentially just complicate things for the consumer.  (e.g. Mia Luca, Lucia, Luciama? What was that place we went to again?)

Excited to hear about your new adventure and looking forward to comparing notes!

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 01:30:15 PM »
                                                      MIA LUCA
                                            PIZZA NAPOLETANA

We actually thought of Mia Luca!  There's is a popular dumpling place here in Charlottesville called Marco and Luca... Too similar to Mia and Luca. Though Mia Luca, or Via Mia Luca is a contender.  It is very like able since its the kids' names.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 01:31:41 PM »

As a supplier to restaurants both successful and otherwise, I suggest keep it easy for Americans to pronounce and  to remember.
--Clay

I totally agree.  :)

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 01:42:06 PM »
I like Bufala.

I'm a fan of keeping things like this simple and memorable without being too kitschy.

Going with Italian words I would like using pasare, basta, rustica, fatto a...etc

Best wishes!
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 01:48:23 PM »

There's a medical term "amicula" which a coat of white fibers , and there's a worm-type thing called amicula vestita. Both of those are nowhere near as good as the kids names "as is".

My delightful sister-in-law is named Lucia. Its is pronounced "Loo-sha". I imagine that you would want people to pronounce your restaurant as they would in Italy, i.e. "Loo-chee-ah" or some version of that. This may serve as a point of confusion as you are trying to develop your brand.

Amicula does sound appealing, and so does Verrucca...and means the common wart.  I am afraid Lucia would be pronounced "Loo see ya" in Central Virginia.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 02:00:47 PM »
Great to hear you're going to open up a place!  Were you going to go mobile like we talked about, or storefront?

Mia Luca sounds phenomenal... think your kids would appreciate it?

I would disagree with Craig on the Occhi Folli.  It's an original name, and while it doesn't tie to your dedication/heart/soul of making pies, it will stand out and can be an interesting story if told correctly. 

While there can be a lot of meaning to a name, you don't always need a name with such deep thoughts...  many places are just known because of their quality as opposed to depth of name (Punch, Tony's Pizza Napoletana, Flour and Stone, Crust, Piece, MOD, pieology, 800 degrees, Blaze, etc.)  One could argue that these aren't all high quality places (I would agree), but in the mind of the consumer, these places must have been standout for them, which is why the name carries.

I'm all for deeper meanings to names... I just don't think it's a necessity.  As long as your pie is delicious, people will find you and be focused on your pie.  The name, if not simple, can potentially just complicate things for the consumer.  (e.g. Mia Luca, Lucia, Luciama? What was that place we went to again?)

Excited to hear about your new adventure and looking forward to comparing notes!
At this point, whether it's mobile, and/or storefront, we would like to use the name for both....good for the followers.

Would the kids appreciate it?  Are you kidding?!  They are 10 and 13.  They don't appreciate anything!!!  Just kidding.  For the most part,  they do. :)

Regarding Occhi Folli...that was Kevin's exact point.  People will talk about it and that's what you want.  Deep? Definitely not. 

In the end, the pizza is what matters....but as you've said before, coming up with names is one of the fun parts in creating a business!

Will compare notes soon...sorry been busy with applications and kickstarter stuff...you would know. :)

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 02:04:54 PM »
I like Bufala.

I'm a fan of keeping things like this simple and memorable without being too kitschy.

Going with Italian words I would like using pasare, basta, rustica, fatto a...etc

Best wishes!

I like simple too.    basta!  is one of my favorite words.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 02:10:52 PM »
 I know that asking about a pizzeria name is almost like asking what I should name my firstborn.  But it's not that personal for me.  I had some ideas and wondered what others thought.  And now I have new ideas to think about!  I really enjoyed reading everyone's opinions and suggestions ---thank you!

Sharlene

Offline derricktung

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 03:11:30 PM »

Will compare notes soon...sorry been busy with applications and kickstarter stuff...you would know. :)

Ohh... let me know how it goes and if you want to discuss... the link I sent with the Kickstarter info is good stuff, and I think I recorded most of my thoughts already around hindsight decisions with the kickstarter.  Good luck, reach out if you need anything (thoughts, advice, sounding board), and let me know when it goes live!

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 10:42:02 AM »
bufala!  PIZZA NAPOLETANA

Offline derricktung

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 12:16:57 PM »
Nice!  I trust you'll be offering Bufala then?  =)

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 12:20:41 PM »
bufala!  PIZZA NAPOLETANA

Great name!

I can't wait to hear about your adventure!  Good Luck!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 12:54:06 PM »
Nice!  I trust you'll be offering Bufala then?  =)

I may have to add a water buffalo to our menagerie of farm animals. Hope they get along with sheep ;)