Author Topic: what about this product?  (Read 822 times)

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Online TXCraig1

Re: what about this product?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 09:39:44 AM »
In the second picture, to the right of the frozen balls, it looks like Caputo branded fully prepared frozen Neapolitan pizza.

Pizza is not bread.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 09:45:25 AM »
Was just a matter of time, what's next a gas powered oven? >:D  Activate Neapolitan pizza bubble in 3...2...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 09:51:21 AM by jeff v »
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 10:30:17 AM »
This is something sold at Solo Pizzeria in Nagoya. I visited in March and the pizza was outstanding. See my YouTube channel for a vid on my visit. This place is somewhat of a novelty because they sell pies at crazy prices(about $6 per pie, whereas the same type of pizza goes for $30 anywhere else in the country) that anyone can afford because the owner wanted to keep NP true to it's roots..."food of the common people".

These are 200 gram doughballs that are frozen before being allowed to ferment. I've only had my hat in the NP arena for about six months(since I got my WFO in November 2012), so I can't say with any authority that this frozen dough would or wouldn't produce a great crust, provided it's baked in a WFO. However, the yeast, if not frozen for some unusually long period or under bad conditions, should go to work after defrost, as expected...and maybe even slower, which isn't a bad thing.

I live in Japan. I speak Japanese so if any of you have any specific questions(serious), please post and I'll contact the owner and ask and, of course, report back here.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:32:18 AM by f.montoya »

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 10:39:44 AM »
In the second picture, to the right of the frozen balls, it looks like Caputo branded fully prepared frozen Neapolitan pizza.

Yep. Here in Japan, "Omiyage" (souvenir product) is a must. These are partially WFO baked NP pies. The instructions say to bottle spray the edge curst (cornice) with a bit of water and then bake until cheese bubbles. As I said my post above, this place is a novelty at the moment, and due to that, has become quite famous. They seem to be cashing in on that with unusual (to you and me) souvenir products...but the average Japanese tourist is only looking to buy souvenir "proof" that he/she/ was there.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 10:57:48 AM »
However, the yeast, if not frozen for some unusually long period or under bad conditions, should go to work after defrost, as expected...

Frozen dough balls are nothing new. I sold them (along with toppings, sauce, and cheese) 20 years ago when I was in the food brokerage business. I'd go to bars and ice houses without big kitchens or even no kitchen, and I could put them in the pizza business in an afternoon. It was as close as you could get to free money for them. I'd even loan/give them an oven in many cases. Dough balls didn't sell all that well though - not because they didn't work - but rather because the customers that might use a frozen dough ball were probably even happier with a par-baked crust.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline La Sera

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 07:08:20 PM »
I freeze them sometimes to use when I open after a holiday. I can't tell any difference in taste, texture, handling or cooking between them and and my regular two-day ferment.

Insane? I don't think so. Judging something without ever trying it, like critiquing a book without having read it, is insanity.

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 08:20:45 PM »
La Sera, what's your typical defrost time for your doughballs before they see the inside of your oven? Also, is there much difference between freezing dough before ferment and after it's been fermented 2 days?

Offline La Sera

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 07:24:06 AM »
Fidel, remember that I told you my dough handling is different than almost everyone . . . ;) It let's me pack them closely in the freezer and I can pull any number out at any time and not be tied to box full increments.

I always freeze pre-ferment and get them into the freezer and cross stacked very quickly after balling them.

I take them out and leave them at room temperature during the evening for about 4 hours, then 48 hours cold after that. In an emergency, I've taken them out in the afternoon and kept them at 25C, then used them the next evening. That's 24 hours and they worked well.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 07:26:04 AM »
I freeze them sometimes to use when I open after a holiday. I can't tell any difference in taste, texture, handling or cooking between them and and my regular two-day ferment.

Insane? I don't think so. Judging something without ever trying it, like critiquing a book without having read it, is insanity.

La Sera, Sorry for my poor english, wen i wrote insane, its because of the dough balls being branded with the Caputo logo, as i know that frozen dough balls exist for a while....

I myself have some biga frozen as a backup if something goes wrong with my sourdough.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline La Sera

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 09:06:55 AM »
Hi andreguidon

You're right. It is funny to see the Caputo logo on them.
Your English is great! Much better than my Portuguese!
Cheers!