Author Topic: Brixx Wood Fired Oven in Charlottesville, VA  (Read 509 times)

Offline CopperTop

• La cucina e per passione
    • Confessions of a Pizza Stalker
Brixx Wood Fired Oven in Charlottesville, VA
« on: May 16, 2013, 11:20:38 PM »
As far as I know Brixx is the only pizzeria that uses a wood fired oven.  So I was curious to check it out.  It is a Woodstone brand. The oven had gas in the back end, and a couple pieces of wood burning.  I noticed that all the pizzas were being loaded closer to the gas fire, while the wood burning flame was barely noticeable.  When I asked the manager at what temperatures are the pizzas cooked, she replied around 550 degrees. "The oven becomes unmanageable if it's hotter" She said the wood fire  was for the flavor, and commented that more wood should probably added. When asked how long the pizzas are cooked for, she said the customer get the pizza within 15 minutes of ordering.

Brixx is privately owned here, but mostly a chain in North Carolina and the east coast, manager says.  Anyone familiar with Brixx?  Needless to say, their claim to cooking their pizzas in a wood fire oven is quite misleading.  Now I understand why some places advertise as being 100% wood fire pizzas. It's because they are actually cooked in a wood fire!

Personally, I have not eaten there. The  baby sitter took the kids there for dinner, complaining about the 45 minute wait. The place is in a great location - open windows and open space...much more inviting than SLICE, another pizzeria in the same shopping center (Barracks Road).  I didn't even know the pizzeria existed till the Grande rep mentioned of their use of cheese. The windows are tinted so it's dark looking in. The space is long and narrow, like Keste, but twice as big. There's a huge sign on the door that says they are privately owned. Two signs saying they use Grande cheese.  A Yelp review says the pizza tastes like cardboard. And that the Costco pizza tastes better.

I have not tasted the pizza in Brixx or Slice, so I can't personally review it. Yet the one advice I can offer - if you're traveling through Central Va (i.e. Charlottesville) and jonesing for pizza...keep driving!!  The pizzas look horrific.  But it is a step above Dominos. Yikes.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
Re: Brixx Wood Fired Oven in Charlottesville, VA
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 09:53:10 AM »
As far as I know Brixx is the only pizzeria that uses a wood fired oven.  So I was curious to check it out.  It is a Woodstone brand. The oven had gas in the back end, and a couple pieces of wood burning.  I noticed that all the pizzas were being loaded closer to the gas fire, while the wood burning flame was barely noticeable.  When I asked the manager at what temperatures are the pizzas cooked, she replied around 550 degrees. "The oven becomes unmanageable if it's hotter" She said the wood fire  was for the flavor, and commented that more wood should probably added. When asked how long the pizzas are cooked for, she said the customer get the pizza within 15 minutes of ordering.

Brixx is privately owned here, but mostly a chain in North Carolina and the east coast, manager says.  Anyone familiar with Brixx?  Needless to say, their claim to cooking their pizzas in a wood fire oven is quite misleading.  Now I understand why some places advertise as being 100% wood fire pizzas. It's because they are actually cooked in a wood fire!

Personally, I have not eaten there. The  baby sitter took the kids there for dinner, complaining about the 45 minute wait. The place is in a great location - open windows and open space...much more inviting than SLICE, another pizzeria in the same shopping center (Barracks Road).  I didn't even know the pizzeria existed till the Grande rep mentioned of their use of cheese. The windows are tinted so it's dark looking in. The space is long and narrow, like Keste, but twice as big. There's a huge sign on the door that says they are privately owned. Two signs saying they use Grande cheese.  A Yelp review says the pizza tastes like cardboard. And that the Costco pizza tastes better.

I have not tasted the pizza in Brixx or Slice, so I can't personally review it. Yet the one advice I can offer - if you're traveling through Central Va (i.e. Charlottesville) and jonesing for pizza...keep driving!!  The pizzas look horrific.  But it is a step above Dominos. Yikes.

We have a Brixx in Wilmington, NC. It is located in a "prime" retail location steps from the megaplex movie theater in one of those "Town Center"-type shopping areas that we are being programmed to accept as the "new world" version of an actual downtown. The only difference being that all of the shops are owned by the Gap, Starbuck's, and Eddie Bauer.

Ok, so this place is just another "wood-fired pizza" joint that might as well be using actual ovens made out of wood, because the temps at which the pizzas are being cooked (400F) would probably not even cause the wood ovens to burn. Have I eaten their pizzas? Yes. But I have also sat through "The Smurf Movie" and "Hotel for Dogs" prior to eating there. You can do anything if you set your mind to it.

Suffice it to say that this place will not be any competition for your own proposed business!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

pizzapan