Author Topic: Newbie question! Where to find 00 in NYC, yeast, etc...  (Read 1753 times)

scott123

Re: Newbie question! Where to find 00 in NYC, yeast, etc...
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 02:23:55 PM »
Thierry, 00 flour is ideal for Neapolitan style pizza. Neapolitan style pizza can't be made in your oven, with the temps you're achieving.  You might, with a lot of work and the right hearth material and thickness, get an undercrust that's speckled and Neapolitan-ish (along with a barely cooked top), but you will never match the kind of top browning you see from a 1000 deg. ceiling in a Neapolitan oven.

There's no 'close enough' with Neapolitan pizza.  Either you have the necessary top and bottom heat and corresponding bake time and the end result is majestic or you don't have the oven setup and it's barely edible.  There's nothing, imo, worse than a traditional Neapolitan 00 dough baked for 4+ minutes. The spring is usually minimal and the crumb tends to be tough.

Either make or obtain an oven that can do 90 second bakes or work with a more oven setup specific style and corresponding flour.  Your oven, can, without any modifications, do an American style pizza such as a papa john's clone (medium high protein flour, high oil). If that doesn't get you amped, then it's time to start modding the oven and purchasing a NY style friendly flour. Ideally, you should be looking for commercial bromated flour, but, while you're getting your feet wet, Better for Bread flour will do the trick.

Offline thynyc

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Newbie question! Where to find 00 in NYC, yeast, etc...
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 03:27:55 PM »
thank you Scott for all that 
:'(
I guess one day I'll have a real wood fire pizza oven... one day...  ::)