Author Topic: Atlanta trip. Need recommendations!  (Read 724 times)

Offline adletson

Atlanta trip. Need recommendations!
« on: May 16, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
I'm taking my son to a Braves game for his 8th birthday and we'll have a few days to pal around Atlanta.  I would love any and all pizza or other food recommendations.  We're on a modest budget so no fine dining.  My 8 year old is pretty adventurous though so no punches pulled.  We're staying in Buckhead but will drive for great pizza!  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline fornographer

• Supporting Member
Re: Atlanta trip. Need recommendations!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 06:39:43 PM »
For neapolitan, Antico Pizza or STG Trattoria

For neo-neapolitan, Ammazza

For NY, Rosa's pizza in downtown.

For something more adventurous, I recommend these Buford Highway spots

1.  Quoc Huong (Vietnamese sandwich, etc)
2.  Bobo Garden (Cantonese).  Order the salt and pepper squid and/or the crispy garlic fried chicken
3.  Ming's Garden:  order P5.  The crispy pork
4.  Gu's Bistro:  tea smoked duck.  many other tasty stuff in menu. Very very HOT.
5.  Quickly: Bubble tea
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 06:43:52 PM by fornographer »

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 07:16:16 PM »
Verasano's is relatively close to Buckhead.  Antico is worth the trip to see the 3 ovens, and to see how they are named.

Atlanta is home to Melllow Mushroom, it is kid friendly and really the son may enjoy that more that the high heat stuff. 

You gotta go see the Coke place if you haven't been!
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 08:26:49 PM »
I was on a business trip to Atlanta a few months ago.  The first night (straight from the airport), I had the opportunity to eat at Varasano's.  I wrote Jeff a note ahead of time and introduced myself and arrived with 2 guys from our local office.

Jeff was very welcoming and a gracious host - he sat with us, did all the ordering, and the four of us ate dinner together.  The pizza was incredible and it was fun talking "pizza" with him and getting some tips.

I will be back next time I am in the area - highly recommended - the pizza and the people.

- Mitch

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 07:56:38 PM »
Verasano's is relatively close to Buckhead.  Antico is worth the trip to see the 3 ovens, and to see how they are named.

Atlanta is home to Melllow Mushroom, it is kid friendly and really the son may enjoy that more that the high heat stuff. 

You gotta go see the Coke place if you haven't been!

I had a lot of fun touring the coke factory as a kid. I bet your kid would love it. I think it was like $5 or something?

Offline adletson

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 04:19:18 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations guys!  My whole family got hit with the stomach bug this weekend so I'm just now getting around to looking at the board.

fornographer,
That's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.  Sounds great.

jet_deck & mitchjg,
So if I had to choose either Varasano's or Antico, which one?

Thanks for the coke factory recommendation.  That is going on the agenda.  Right now we've got a Braves game with an H&F burger, Legoland, and the coke factory.  Can't wait!

Offline Jdcigar

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
Varasanos is good but definitely choose Antico

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 09:43:28 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations guys!  My whole family got hit with the stomach bug this weekend so I'm just now getting around to looking at the board.

fornographer,
That's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.  Sounds great.

jet_deck & mitchjg,
So if I had to choose either Varasano's or Antico, which one?

Thanks for the coke factory recommendation.  That is going on the agenda.  Right now we've got a Braves game with an H&F burger, Legoland, and the coke factory.  Can't wait!

I have only had Varasano's, so I have no opinion on which is "better."  It may be that you can decide based on preference for pizza "type" - Antico is neapolitan and Varsano's is more NY Elite. 

Have fun!