Author Topic: Stanziato's - Danbury, CT  (Read 462 times)

Offline WaterDog

Stanziato's - Danbury, CT
« on: May 16, 2013, 02:10:39 PM »
So, my wife hears about a place in Danbury that's doing "wood fired oven" pizza. Having heard that term far too often, and weighing the odds of finding good pizza in Danbury, I reluctantly agree to check it out.

My bad!  Surprised at midweek to find a wait, we get on the list. While we're waiting I read the propaganda on the walls. Owner is a CIA grad, Jan and Michael Stern (Roadfood.com/Gourmet) as well as the local press seem to like it. Sure enough, there's the owner (Matt) launching the pies into the WFO. Good sign.

We get seated and are immediately impressed by the waitstaff. Everyone seems to be into it even though they're busy. Like they actually enjoy what they're doing (how strange).

Good selection of red and white pies, salads, appetizers, some pasta dishes.  Local sourcing is highlighted as well as an explanation that they don't serve slices, that their pies are made from Italian flour and are prepared from scratch.

We order a Margherita and a Bufala, Finocchina (fennel salami), Broccoli Pesto pie that was a special that day. Gotta say they were both quite good. See pictures below.

Shocked that this place is 15 mins from my house. I'm fortunate to have Pepe's, Modern and Sally's an hour away and Keste, Motorino and Don Antonio as my regular stops when I'm in Manhattan. If you find yourself near Danbury, CT or you're traveling the I-84 corridor, give Stanziato's a chance. Real convenient to interstate 84 (Mill Plain Road exit) near Western Connecticut State and the New York State border.

-Jeff