Author Topic: Trenton, NJ tomorrow to visit Trenton Bill and some pizzerias  (Read 7424 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Trenton, NJ tomorrow to visit Trenton Bill and some pizzerias
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2013, 07:23:05 PM »
I'm not able to tell which brand of cheese it might be. I only use a 50:50 mix of Sorrrento and Maggio (both whole milk) mozz cheese, so that's all I know.

When buying cheese it's often easy to mix up between Sorrento and Sargento brands.
Here's how I remember...

Sargento..... aaaaaaaaaaarh (like a pirate) is not good. :(

Sorrento... is sooooooooooo good. :)

---pete---

Thanks Pete about your ideas of the cheese and your funny explanations about your cheeses you use.   :P  I think Joey's is using only cheddar because that is also what I am using now.  What I use is in over 40 lb. blocks and it almost tasted the same to me.  The cheddar I use is mild and almost tastes like a really good mozzarella and really doesn't have a cheddar taste like most cheddars do.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2013, 10:06:17 PM »
Norma,

There is nothing unique in the advice given to you by Tom Santos at GM. The late addition of the oil is classic Tom Lehmann stuff, about which he has written for years. See, for example, his post at Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20582.msg203785/topicseen.html#msg203785 .

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2013, 11:08:48 PM »
Norma,

There is nothing unique in the advice given to you by Tom Santos at GM. The late addition of the oil is classic Tom Lehmann stuff, about which he has written for years. See, for example, his post at Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20582.msg203785/topicseen.html#msg203785 .

Peter

Peter,

I see in the link you referenced by Tom Lehmann that he tells to mix about the same way, but I wonder why Tom Santos then told me to only mix for 45 seconds and not more than 1 minute before adding the oil.  Tom recommends that the oil would be added to the dough after after 2 minutes.  I guess either way would not matter though.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2013, 08:54:45 AM »
Norma,

When Tom Lehmann talks about adding the oil after about two minutes of mixing, it is usually in the context of making a commercial size batch of dough. For a home setting and a small amount of dough, he mentions a shorter period. See, for example, Reply 3 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14376.msg145828/topicseen.html#msg145828 where Tom mentions a one-minute time period. Do you recall which setting you discussed with Tom Santos at GM?

Here is another example of where Tom Lehmann mention a 2-minute mix time for a commercial dough: Reply 14 at
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18547.msg180651/topicseen.html#msg180651 .

Peter
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 09:04:13 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2013, 10:04:38 AM »
Norma,

When Tom Lehmann talks about adding the oil after about two minutes of mixing, it is usually in the context of making a commercial size batch of dough. For a home setting and a small amount of dough, he mentions a shorter period. See, for example, Reply 3 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14376.msg145828/topicseen.html#msg145828 where Tom mentions a one-minute time period. Do you recall which setting you discussed with Tom Santos at GM?

Here is another example of where Tom Lehmann mention a 2-minute mix time for a commercial dough: Reply 14 at
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18547.msg180651/topicseen.html#msg180651 .

Peter

Peter,

I understand when Tom Lehmann talks about adding the oil after two minutes of mixing, he is usually talking about a commercial size batch of dough.  Thanks for the link where Tom Lehmann talks about using a shorter mix time before the oil is added when making dough at home or for demonstrations. 

I told Tom Santos that I owned a small pizza business and didn't say anything about making test doughs at home.  I did tell Tom Santos that I have a Hobart 20 qt. mixer that I use to mix my doughs.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2013, 01:34:22 PM »
Norma,

The two minute example that Tom Lehmann states appears to apply to 60-80 quart mixers: Reply 5 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23345.msg236814.html#msg236814 .

Maybe for your mixer, a shortened mix time is more appropriate.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2013, 04:54:43 PM »
Norma,

The two minute example that Tom Lehmann states appears to apply to 60-80 quart mixers: Reply 5 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23345.msg236814.html#msg236814 .

Maybe for your mixer, a shortened mix time is more appropriate.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for referencing Tom's reply.  I see what he said was for a 60 and 80 quart mixer.  I will follow Tom's directions even though my mixer is only 20 qt. if I ever get up to that amount of dough for a tomato pie. I really don't think that about a minute of extra mixing would make much of any difference either before adding the oil.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2013, 10:17:24 PM »
After looking at the Basic NY-Style Thin Crust Pizza Dough at the General Mills website http://www.professionalbakingsolutions.com/~/media/E8CD6D89DA3142848EA7F93CDB96CBA7.ashx  I see they say to add the water, flour, sugar and yeast to the bowl and blend until the flour is hydrated by the water (appropriately 1 minute)  Then pause the mixer and add the oil and then continue to mix to just under full gluten development.  (approximately 8 to 10 minutes) That is about the same mixing procedure Tom Santos told me and not to far away from what Tom Lehmann recommends.  The mix time is a longer mix time than I use.   

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2013, 01:44:06 PM »
I also asked Tom if I couldn't find Pillsbury 4X flour in my area what other flours, or flour would be comparable.  He told me Full-Strength is almost exactly the same as Pillsbury 4X.  Tom said both flours have a protein of 12.6%.  I then asked what was the difference if both flours have a protein of 12.6%.  He said it was just a difference in the milling process and either flour should work for the kind of pizza I want to attempt.  Just not too long ago I started using a leftover bag of GM full-strength for bench flour, so I will have to wait until next week to purchase a bag to try.  I told Tom I never could get a formulation right when trying GM full-strength.   
Norma,

For your information, some time ago, over at the Greek pizza thread at Reply 242 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg144176.html#msg144176, I discussed my research for a flour comparable to the Pillsbury 4X flour, and also came up with the GM Full Strength flour as an alternative to that flour.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2013, 03:53:09 PM »
Norma,

For your information, some time ago, over at the Greek pizza thread at Reply 242 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg144176.html#msg144176, I discussed my research for a flour comparable to the Pillsbury 4X flour, and also came up with the GM Full Strength flour as an alternative to that flour.

Peter

Thank you for referencing the link to where after you researched and discussed that GM Full Strength flour was an alternative for the Pillsbury 4X flour.  I do recall reading that post, but had forgot about it.  I did dig some GM Full Strength flour out of the Cambro container at market that I now use for bench flour.  Hopefully, that flour is still good enough to use to make dough.  I used that flour for the first attempt at the formulation you gave me to try and now posted on a new thread about trying to make tomato pies at
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25401.0.html 

Maybe you should be a flour expert like Tom Santos since you know so much about flours.   :-D 

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2013, 06:20:30 PM »
Maybe you should be a flour expert like Tom Santos since you know so much about flours.   :-D 
Norma,

Thank you for the compliment, even though it isn't deserved, but I plan to retain my amateur status.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2013, 08:31:43 PM »
Norma,

Thank you for the compliment, even though it isn't deserved, but I plan to retain my amateur status.

Peter

Peter,

I know you plan to retain your amateur status, but you sure do know a lot about pizzas, flours, yeasts and everything else related to pizzas.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2013, 07:39:37 AM »
If anyone is interested and didn't see my other posts, I did go to see Trenton Bill again and we went to De Lorenzo/Robbinsville and De Lorenzo/Sloan to try their pizzas.  The photos start at Reply 323 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25401.msg275390.html#msg275390 De Lorenzo/Robbinsville has a very different tasty tomato pie in Bill's and my opinions.

Two photos of De Lorenzo/Robbinville tomato pie. 

These are also photos of sour cream waffles Bill made me.  When I have time and find the screw for my mothers old waffle iron I am going to try to make them with the recipe Bill gave me.  The sour cream waffles do have Carnation Malted Milk as one of the ingredients.  I did purchase the Carnation Malted milk, but didn't get to try the recipe yet.  I find Bill's way of mixing the ingredients in the waffles interesting.  The waffles were very light in texture.  Bill used Hecker's flour for the Belgian waffles, but said a regular waffle iron works just as well.

Photo of Bill's pizza man.

Norma

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2013, 10:45:12 AM »
If anyone is interested and didn't see my other posts, I did go to see Trenton Bill again and we went to De Lorenzo/Robbinsville and De Lorenzo/Sloan to try their pizzas.  The photos start at Reply 323 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25401.msg275390.html#msg275390 De Lorenzo/Robbinsville has a very different tasty tomato pie in Bill's and my opinions.

Two photos of De Lorenzo/Robbinville tomato pie. 

These are also photos of sour cream waffles Bill made me.  When I have time and find the screw for my mothers old waffle iron I am going to try to make them with the recipe Bill gave me.  The sour cream waffles do have Carnation Malted Milk as one of the ingredients.  I did purchase the Carnation Malted milk, but didn't get to try the recipe yet.  I find Bill's way of mixing the ingredients in the waffles interesting.  The waffles were very light in texture.  Bill used Hecker's flour for the Belgian waffles, but said a regular waffle iron works just as well.

Photo of Bill's pizza man.

Norma

Norma,

Those waffles look great. I love malted milk powder in waffles --- I just never seem to have any on hand for those rare times when I make waffles!!!

The pizza, as always looks great also.

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2013, 01:08:26 PM »
Norma,

Those waffles look great. I love malted milk powder in waffles --- I just never seem to have any on hand for those rare times when I make waffles!!!

John K

John,

Those waffles were lighter than I ever tasted before.  I never tried malted milk powder when mixing batter for waffles.  Do you know what malted milk powder adds to the taste or texture of waffles?

Norma

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2013, 01:28:36 PM »
John,

Those waffles were lighter than I ever tasted before.  I never tried malted milk powder when mixing batter for waffles.  Do you know what malted milk powder adds to the taste or texture of waffles?

Norma

Well to me, its the taste of malt, which I love! Essentially the same flavor as the inside of a malted milk ball, or the malt powder that is used when brewing beer. I even love the taste of roasted, malted barley grain, which is where the malt powder comes from (after you make a brew of it and then evaporate the water so that only the extracted malt is left).

I think the Carnation version has milk powder added to it which makes it easier for most consumers to use.

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2013, 01:42:42 PM »
Well to me, its the taste of malt, which I love! Essentially the same flavor as the inside of a malted milk ball, or the malt powder that is used when brewing beer. I even love the taste of roasted, malted barley grain, which is where the malt powder comes from (after you make a brew of it and then evaporate the water so that only the extracted malt is left).

I think the Carnation version has milk powder added to it which makes it easier for most consumers to use.

John K

John,

Thanks for explaining how malt tastes and what other products have malt in them.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2014, 06:57:34 PM »
This is an article about Papa's Tomato Pies Robbinsville in The New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/28/nyregion/a-review-of-papas-tomato-pies-in-robbinsville.html?src=twr

Norma

pizzapan