Author Topic: Cheese first or Sauce first?? What do you do???  (Read 4423 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Cheese first or Sauce first?? What do you do???
« on: May 18, 2013, 02:20:20 PM »
In the YouTube video about Antico Pizza in Atlanta, GA (skip ahead at about 1:00 in the video clip) , he shows that they spread the main amount of cheese first, then pours sauce on top of it. I have always been taught to do the exact opposite, pizza sauce first, then the cheese. Does anyone do the method in the video??? Also, what different effect does it have on the pizza?? Can anyone comment on this? This is the first that I have seen or heard of this. Thanks!!!

TomN

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
Re: Cheese first or Sauce first?? What do you do???
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 03:08:51 PM »
Good luck on finding the peppers, I was in two specialty stores today and NO LUCK! You can order them online, but they aren't cheap.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 03:21:37 PM »
Any thoughts on the cheese first method?

Anyone???

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 03:27:49 PM »
I figure the peppers might last for a long time, so the cost is acceptable. However, getting the smoke scamoza cheese and buffalo milk cheese might be an even bigger challenge.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=scamoza+cheese&rh=n%3A16310101%2Ck%3Ascamoza+cheese&tag=pizzamaking-20

http://www.amazon.com/Italian-Buffalo-Milk-Cheese-Mozzarella/dp/B0027AAPVU/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline Jdcigar

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 03:31:56 PM »
Tom

I have seen videos of a couple of
places that put the sauce on first, including John's in NY and Papas in Trenton, NJ.  The premise is that the crust doesn't get soggy.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »
Many pan/Sicilian style pizzas are made by layering the cheese on the dough first and then adding the sauce, as JD said it protects the dough from the moisture of the sauce. In the case of Antico, he is using so little sauce, it really doesn't matter. I think is just his way of applying sauce with a light hand.

Offline Jdcigar

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 03:42:54 PM »
Cheese first I meant to say

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 03:43:39 PM »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 03:44:32 PM »
Jdcigar & dmcavanagh

Thanks for the cheese first feedback

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 03:48:23 PM »
Not to shift the theme of the thread, but when i was  researching the flour, I cam across this can of tomatoes for 28.83. wow

http://www.wholesaleitalianfood.com/whole-plum-tomatoes.html

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 03:49:34 PM »
Tom, I first noted this watching a video on Totonno's.  I then tried it out and I was pleasantly suprise.  To me at least, it's a whole different pie.  Same ingredients but in a different order.  When you place sauce on last, it typically is drizzled over the pie in patterns or splattered on the pie.  Post bake, you get varying bites of sauce + cheese, more sauce less cheese, more cheese less sauce.  It's just different and it's very good.  Try it and see if you don't notice the same. 

what I typically do for a cheese only pie, is to layer the cheese first, then splash the sauce down in various spots, then maybe sprinkle a bit more cheese on top here and there.  You get a very marbled pattern to the sauce and cheese.  Good stuff.

Chau

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 03:52:01 PM »
Thanks Jackie Tran,

I am going to give it a try soon.

TomN

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 04:11:35 PM »
As for the flour, I have used that flour on the one occasion that I made doughs to be cooked in a WFO and it was a very good flour IMHO. Very easy to work with and it made great pies, and as I mentioned, it was the only time I used a "00" flour for making doughs for a WFO bake.

Online slybarman

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 04:17:53 PM »
In the last 'Pizza Cuz' that I watched, the one place talked about doing cheese first and it seemed to be for the reason mentioned above - the crust stays criper when it does not soak up the sauce. I will have to give a try one of these times.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 05:31:11 PM »
As for the flour, I have used that flour on the one occasion that I made doughs to be cooked in a WFO and it was a very good flour IMHO. Very easy to work with and it made great pies, and as I mentioned, it was the only time I used a "00" flour for making doughs for a WFO bake.

If you skip ahead to 6:30 mins in the video clip, he lets the weight of the dough open the pizza dough. Sure saves time to make 1000 pizzas a day that way. that dough is amazing looking.

Also, when he says that it takes two days to make, do you think he is referring to the cold rise method????
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:57:00 PM by TomN »

Offline cofi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 07:00:29 PM »
i saw that pizza cuz(good show) so we tried cheese first that same day....i didnt really care for it it made the pizza seem thicker then it was and gave the dough a weird texture

ymmv

Offline RockyMountainPie

• I Knead Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 01:25:28 AM »
Hi Tom.

Cheese on first, followed by sauce is the main thing that defines a tomato pie as compared to a pizza.   The Trenton tomato pie (a.k.a. Boardwalk pizza) is the subject of my favorite thread.  This link, near the start of the thread,  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg95838.html#msg95838 shows a great video demonstrating creation of a typical Trenton tomato pie at Mack's in Wildwood, NJ.

Personally, I love this style of pie.  According to Papa's in Trenton, this style dates back to at least 1912.   :D

--Tim

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 12:26:34 AM »
Tim,

Thanks for the link. WOW, 87 pages. I will work my way through it.

TomN

Offline Miami_Pizzaman

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 10:50:39 AM »

I was reading that the main reason for sauce on top is to protect the cheese from burning if the bake time is high.

For thick pizzas like Chicago style, the thickness requires a longer baking time than thin pizzas. That long baking time would burn cheese if it's on top.

They then got the idea of putting sauce on top to protect the cheese from radiated heat.

The reason for thin sauce-on-top "tomato pies" I don't think is technical, but rather "marketing".

I made a NY style pizza recently with half sauce on bottom and half sauce on top.

The difference wasn't huge, but I preferred the sauce-on-bottom style for it's "flavor system" and its easier manageability.

Also, in the tomato pie style as in Pizza Cuz, the amount of sauce tends to be lesser.