Author Topic: I almost forgot how good these are!  (Read 7565 times)

Offline bakeshack

Re: I almost forgot how good these are!
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2013, 12:23:21 AM »
Those look great as usually. That temp is just about perfect for this style, ~660F 4-4.5 minutes.

I have a question about your sauce. It looks like your sauce has a nice "thickness", are you using straight tomatoes from the can and doing nothing else? Are you cooking it for a little or adding some tomato paste to thicken it up a bit? If you're draining them how do you do it? Sorry for all the questions but last week the sauce I used was too "runny" which I didn't like and didn't really meld with the cheese how I would have liked.

David

Thank you, David!  I use Alta cucina whole or Cento crushed or whole works for me.  I found that the key to avoid runny consistency with the sauce is how you crush the tomatoes.  I use an immersion blender but pulse it very carefully.  I pulse for about 1 sec then move it around and pulse again until I get the right consistency.  If you pulse too long, the tomatoes will release too much water  and you end up with a thin sauce.  I don't like it because the flavor also gets lost.  I don't use any paste or try to cook it down. 

Marlon

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2013, 12:31:50 AM »
Thanks, gotta get one of those blenders. I just dumped the can into a food mill with the biggest disc. If it was Neapolitan the sauce would have been fine. But this style needs a thicker sauce. You do it till its smooth though right, no chunks?

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2013, 03:53:19 AM »
Thanks, gotta get one of those blenders. I just dumped the can into a food mill with the biggest disc. If it was Neapolitan the sauce would have been fine. But this style needs a thicker sauce. You do it till its smooth though right, no chunks?

It gets used in my kitchen a lot so it's really worth it.  The sauce is not totally smooth but not chunky as well.  I usually end up with very small pieces of tomato.  Im not really a fan of a smooth tomato sauce.  I am also really careful not to incorporate too much air into the sauce using the immersion blender so that it can keep the deep red color.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2013, 05:41:19 PM »
More NY pizzas:

I ended up using only 60% water instead of 64%.  The dough was still quite easy to stretch although I prefer the silkiness of the 64% dough.  I ended up baking these just under 4 mins at 680F. 

Offline slybarman

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2013, 05:52:01 PM »
I would marry that second pie.  Just sayin.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2013, 09:40:34 PM »
I would marry that second pie.  Just sayin.

:-D
Chaz

Offline scott123

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2013, 07:46:53 PM »
Marlon, since you seem to be thoroughly dominating the crap out of this style, one of these days, could you try a batch with Pendleton?  I'd like to see how it stacks up against the Central Milling in the hands of someone with your abilities.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2013, 08:13:10 PM »
What a compliment, Scott!  :-D  Thanks!  Are you referring to the Power flour?  I can pick it up from the Rest Depot.

Offline scott123

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2013, 08:35:33 PM »
Yes, the Power Flour, I want to see how it stacks up to Central Milling.  Can you get it in a smaller bag?  I'm relatively certain it should stack up very well, but I'd hate to see it underperform- and for you to be stuck with a 50# bag.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2013, 09:00:50 PM »
I would have to agree with Scott, you certainly are dominating this style in your wfo!  ;D
Scott, what is the difference in flours? Protein %? How would 100% All Trumps or a combination of flours compare? There's a thread that was started recently about combining flours. I would be curious about your feedback since you are very knowledgeable in this area.
Chaz

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2013, 09:08:53 PM »
Yes, the Power Flour, I want to see how it stacks up to Central Milling.  Can you get it in a smaller bag?  I'm relatively certain it should stack up very well, but I'd hate to see it underperform- and for you to be stuck with a 50# bag.

I believe they have it in a smaller bag (25 or 30 lbs).  It's quite cheap anyway and I am sure it will be used either way.  ;D  I wish I had access to a bromated flour just to satisfy my curiosity. 

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 09:10:36 PM by bakeshack »

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2013, 09:09:25 PM »
I would have to agree with Scott, you certainly are dominating this style in your wfo!  ;D

Thanks, Chaze! 

Offline scott123

« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2013, 12:45:08 AM »
I wish I had access to a bromated flour just to satisfy my curiosity.

For some reason I thought all Californians were deathly afraid of bromate :-D If you're curious, I probably won't be picking up a new bag until Fall, but I might be able to mail you a couple pounds when the time comes.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2013, 05:20:58 AM »
For some reason I thought all Californians were deathly afraid of bromate :-D If you're curious, I probably won't be picking up a new bag until Fall, but I might be able to mail you a couple pounds when the time comes.

Scott, thank you for the kind offer.  I will gladly take you up on that.  I grew up on bromate by eating pan de sal (hard rolls) everyday in the Philippines and so far I have not seen any ill effects on me.  ;D 

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2013, 05:23:04 PM »

The Power flour performs really well with this style.  I am very impressed with the results.  It has a nice balance of tenderness and crispness.  It also keep really well with no toughness.  It should be a regular in my pantry.  I used the same formula as with Central Milling baked for about 3:45-4 mins @ 650F. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 05:28:03 PM by bakeshack »

Offline scott123

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2013, 05:37:53 PM »
Hmmm... interesting. It looks like the malt in the Power Flour really pushed the browning propensity- which may not be a bad thing. It's a bit more color than what I strive for, but I know of a few New Havenites that would be doing back flips.

When you blow up the photo of the pepperoni pie to full size, the cheese has me instantly salivating. That could be some of the best looking melted cheese I've ever seen.

What did you think of it? You had to be pretty happy, right? A pie like that could end up challenging your Neapolitan allegiance  >:D

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2013, 06:12:43 PM »
Hmmm... interesting. It looks like the malt in the Power Flour really pushed the browning propensity- which may not be a bad thing. It's a bit more color than what I strive for, but I know of a few New Havenites that would be doing back flips.

When you blow up the photo of the pepperoni pie to full size, the cheese has me instantly salivating. That could be some of the best looking melted cheese I've ever seen.

What did you think of it? You had to be pretty happy, right? A pie like that could end up challenging your Neapolitan allegiance  >:D

Thank you!  I used Saputo cheese and I really like it so far.  IMO, it rivals the best of them at almost half price.

I was extremely happy.  The dough was extremely easy to do and use.  It was very predictable and did not need much attention during the fermentation process.  That is the one thing that I really like with NY pizza. You don't have too many surprises and issues and it gives you an extremely satisfying product.  An NP dough requires more nurturing  and could go south easily with a slight change in temperature, etc.   That is also one thing which I really love with NP.  It keeps you sharp everytime and when you get the results that you are looking for, the satisfaction you get is quite hard to beat as well.  If you don't, you get a slight depression (which a good NY slice can solve  ;D).  I really love them both. 

Offline vincentoc13

Re: I almost forgot how good these are! e
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2013, 11:25:57 PM »
Marlon,

simply beautiful looking pies, that's exactly what I'm trying to get my pies to look like, dang those look good.

What kind of launching peel do you use?  I currently can only make a 13 inch pizza, but I really want to get to an 18, is that what your pies are?

Do you ever use IDY? If not, why

Thank you,

Vince
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:32:38 PM by vincentoc13 »

Offline bakeshack

Re: I almost forgot how good these are! e
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2013, 04:36:52 PM »
Marlon,

simply beautiful looking pies, that's exactly what I'm trying to get my pies to look like, dang those look good.

What kind of launching peel do you use?  I currently can only make a 13 inch pizza, but I really want to get to an 18, is that what your pies are?

Do you ever use IDY? If not, why

Thank you,

Vince

Thanks, Vince!  Those are 18" pies.  I just like to use cake yeast because I have access to it.  If not, I would have no problem using IDY.  I use an 18" wood peel for launching and use a 9" turning peel to move the pizza inside the oven.  I think the wood peel is from American Metalcraft.

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2013, 10:34:28 PM »
Marlon, so are you building your pies on the peel?  I'm looking to get a bigger maybe the metal one just not sure yet.

pizzapan