Author Topic: Juliana's, Brooklyn, NY  (Read 929 times)

Offline McCoy

• Pizza & Beer Blog
Juliana's, Brooklyn, NY
« on: May 19, 2013, 10:38:09 PM »
I don't have much in the way of credentials to be praising or criticizing Patsy Grimaldi's pizza, but I found it surprising that no one's reviewed this pizzeria here and that it seems on most of the internet there's relatively little written about Juliana's pizza compared to its location and the opening of the new Grimaldi's nearby.

Anyhow, my girlfriend and I went there on 5/11/13 and ordered the margherita, and I documented my thoughts and took a couple pictures on my cell phone (I regret not having an actual camera with me).

Standing in line, we noticed a glass of water, a cigar, and a half-eaten slice on the window sill outside. Just as my girlfriend wondered aloud who might abandon such a collection of objects, Patsy, wearing a chefs jacket with his name embroidered on the breast, walks past, puts the cigar in his mouth and tosses the pizza crust into a nearby garbage bin.

It was clear that he wanted to be there, running his pizzeria. He asked us how large our party was and promised us that wed be seated soon. The entire staff treated us with friendly deference cracking jokes, politely answering questions, and exercising patience despite being completely filled with customers. Pizzas passed by on their way to other tables, enticing me to instant envy. We placed an order for a margherita pie right away.

The pizza was delicious, with easily the best basil Ive ever had. The aroma was punchy and the flavor was in balance with the sauce, cheese, and crust. The charring on the the pizza was masterful. The slices were neither floppy nor rigid, and only required the slightest of folding to keep upright. The only things keeping the pie from perfection was that the crust was a little tough and chewy for my taste, though there were magnificent pockets here and there where it had risen a little more during baking or hadn't been stretched as thin. I had also hoped for a bit more open crumb in the cornicione, as this pizza was of pretty uniform thickness from center to edge, but honestly it was difficult to be disappointed in anything throughout the visit. At one point Patsy sat down at the table next to us to spend some time with a toddler of a family he may not have even known. I was smiling so much I felt like my cheeks were going to go into spasms.
Finding my way in homebrewing and pizza making: http://pizzabeerblog.wordpress.com/

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
Re: Juliana's, Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 10:50:18 PM »
I don't have much in the way of credentials to be praising or criticizing Patsy Grimaldi's pizza, but I found it surprising that no one's reviewed this pizzeria here and that it seems on most of the internet there's relatively little written about Juliana's pizza compared to its location and the opening of the new Grimaldi's nearby.

Anyhow, my girlfriend and I went there on 5/11/13 and ordered the margherita, and I documented my thoughts and took a couple pictures on my cell phone (I regret not having an actual camera with me).

Standing in line, we noticed a glass of water, a cigar, and a half-eaten slice on the window sill outside. Just as my girlfriend wondered aloud who might abandon such a collection of objects, Patsy, wearing a chefs jacket with his name embroidered on the breast, walks past, puts the cigar in his mouth and tosses the pizza crust into a nearby garbage bin.

It was clear that he wanted to be there, running his pizzeria. He asked us how large our party was and promised us that wed be seated soon. The entire staff treated us with friendly deference cracking jokes, politely answering questions, and exercising patience despite being completely filled with customers. Pizzas passed by on their way to other tables, enticing me to instant envy. We placed an order for a margherita pie right away.

The pizza was delicious, with easily the best basil Ive ever had. The aroma was punchy and the flavor was in balance with the sauce, cheese, and crust. The charring on the the pizza was masterful. The slices were neither floppy nor rigid, and only required the slightest of folding to keep upright. The only things keeping the pie from perfection was that the crust was a little tough and chewy for my taste, though there were magnificent pockets here and there where it had risen a little more during baking or hadn't been stretched as thin. I had also hoped for a bit more open crumb in the cornicione, as this pizza was of pretty uniform thickness from center to edge, but honestly it was difficult to be disappointed in anything throughout the visit. At one point Patsy sat down at the table next to us to spend some time with a toddler of a family he may not have even known. I was smiling so much I felt like my cheeks were going to go into spasms.

Dylan,

Thanks for the review. I wish I had your pizza sensibilities when I was 22. TWENTY-FIVE YEARS AGO!!!! Follow your instincts first, then your nose, then your tongue, and you will never go wrong.

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 10:58:07 PM »
Thanks Dylan...good to see Patsy is back and in good form.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 11:27:52 PM »
One of his partners is a friend of mine - actually he is the guy who introduced me to what I now know as pizza. I'm happy to hear that you had a great experience there.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 09:31:16 AM »
Great review. Thanks for sharing.

John

Offline McCoy

• Pizza & Beer Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 12:16:34 PM »
One of his partners is a friend of mine - actually he is the guy who introduced me to what I now know as pizza. I'm happy to hear that you had a great experience there.

CL

It was definitely very cool to see how approachable Patsy was. I'm not surprised to hear he does business with folks that hold a similar attitude. If I had a bit more temerity I would try to talk some shop with some of the people there.
Finding my way in homebrewing and pizza making: http://pizzabeerblog.wordpress.com/

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 02:01:21 PM »
It was definitely very cool to see how approachable Patsy was. I'm not surprised to hear he does business with folks that hold a similar attitude. If I had a bit more temerity I would try to talk some shop with some of the people there.

I try to talk at least a little shop at every pizzeria I visit, and it is almost always very warmly received. I've had an owner I'd never met sit down and spend a hour with me before.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Peasant

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 11:44:08 AM »
Thanks for the review.  I've gone by a couple times but it's hard for me to kill a whole pie on my own these days.  Plus I wanted to let the team work out any kinks that might be there.