Author Topic: Grande Cheese Question  (Read 11611 times)

Offline Bryan S

Re: Grande Cheese Question
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007, 11:57:54 PM »
Bryan,

I am really interested in your comparison of Grande vs Sorrento WM.

I've had some really good luck with BJ's Sorrento WM 5lb loaf at $9.99 (believe it or not, it used to be $8.99 before the new year!).  There are two BJ's within 10 miles of me, and one is right on my way to work--very convenient.

I'm mixing it 2 parts mozz with 1 part Primo Gusto provolone (I got a 6lb loaf at GFS when I was in Peoria, at $2.13/lb).  So far, so good.  The Sorrento prov is pretty good as well, but at $3.00/lb I'll use it but more sparingly.

I would definitely like to try some Grande WM, but the price and the hassle of getting it back to Delaware makes me question whether the difference between the two is worth it.

Also, what speed do I run my KA for dough?  It was a gift from my father-in-law, and we never got a manual. ???

Thanks, Ed.
Well I really think that the Sorrento can't be much tasteless than the Grande. It's just so hard to believe that a cheese can taste so good out of the fridge but once melted, all the flavor goes out of it. :( As far as mixing with a KA here's what i know. Many posts here tell you to use the stir speed which is #1. ??? In my Pro 600 manual which is the 575 watt one, it says if mixing dough DO NOT USE THE STIR SPEED #1, USE #2 SPEED. ;)
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2007, 05:18:28 PM »
I have done dozens of comparisons between the sorrento wm and the grand wm.  To my palate the sorrento tastes much better.  It also costs 1/2 as much.

The only problem with it is that it browns a bit easier than the grande, but if you like a little bit of that on your cheese this might be one of the best available.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 05:22:10 PM by scott r »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 05:20:29 PM »
The sorrento provolone is also one of the best for pizza.

Offline doctor_pepperoni

• pi*r*squared....pies-r-round
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 06:50:23 PM »
Bryan S and scott r,

Thanks for the info.  Ever since I've been visiting this forum I have been obsessed with finding the "best" ingredients for pizza, within reason in regard to price.

It sounds like for mozzarella I'm doing OK as is.  If I do run across some Grande in my travels I'll pick it up but I won't go overboard to get it.

Ezzo pepperoni, however, is a different story.  But I digress.

Best regards, Ed.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2007, 07:20:49 PM »

Ezzo pepperoni, however, is a different story.  But I digress.

Ed, You got to love the Ezzo Roni, wonderful stuff. I buy 10 sticks at a time from Penn Mac to make the shipping worth while.  ;D

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2007, 08:46:33 PM »
I agree that ezzo is the best, but after a year of dealing with mail order I just stick with marhgerita, hormel (must be rosa), or carrando.  In taste tests they are very very close to ezzo, and much much cheaper than dealing with shipping. 

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2007, 01:41:36 PM »
I think the two are similar to be honest. The sargento has good stretch, but I personally think the Grande tastes better. It has a very wholesome taste to it. Probably the quality of the milk in the processing.

What is BJ's? Is that a supermarket chain or some specialty store in your area? Where are you located?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2007, 02:55:43 PM »
sargento??? 

Thats a different cheese, not nearly as good as sorrento.

Never buy pre shreadded cheese unless it is grande.  They put some nasty stuff in there to keep it from clumping.

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2007, 03:05:19 PM »
They put some nasty stuff in there to keep it from clumping.

Powdered cellulose is nasty stuff?  If you're referring to natamycin, that's not for clumping, that's to prevent fungus from growing on the cheese.  Natamycin is also used on whole blocks of cheese too, so avoiding shredded cheese is not going to guarantee the absence of it.

- red.november

Offline doctor_pepperoni

• pi*r*squared....pies-r-round
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2007, 09:53:32 PM »
DNA Dan, BJ's Wholesale Club has a similar business model as Costco and Sam's Club, with locations primarily east of the Mississippi.  A bunch of stores in NY, FL, MA, NJ, PA.

scott r, I would tend to agree with November that the powdered stuff on shredded cheeses isn't particularly "nasty" in the medical sense, but perhaps it is in the culinary sense.  Think of it this way--as a treatment for fungal keratitis, you might be able to avoid a trip to the ophthalmologist by rubbing shredded cheese into your eye.  Just kidding.

Bryan S, you'll love this story.  I got the nickname "Dr. Pepperoni" after I brought a 10lb box of 38mm pre-sliced Ezzo back from a trip to Buffalo last fall, and made the mistake of giving some away to friends at work.  Now I'm Elkton, Maryland's unofficial "distributor" of Ezzo.  I'll be bringing two more boxes home with me direct from Ezzo when I visit Columbus next week, just to meet the demand of my co-workers.  I told Eric Cherryholmes that he needs a distributor closer to Philadelphia.  I'm losing my shirt on this "business."

Life is good.

Ed

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2007, 03:15:41 AM »
scott, my bad, yes they are two totally different beasts. No more surfing while intoxicated for me! :-X

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2007, 08:05:29 PM »
I went to BJ's today and picked up a 5 lb block of Sorrento Mozz, i'll post my findings here soon. Thanks for the info on the Sorrento. The price is right.  ;D

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2007, 08:32:59 AM »
Bryan,  totally been there,   >:D no worries

Nov, That is so nasty about the cheese additives!

My problem with the pre shreadded cheese has just always been that they burn so easily and never melt or taste right.  It's amazing that they sell so much of that stuff not only in grocery stores, but also through wholesalers to crappy pizzerias.

Offline arturus

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2007, 10:05:22 AM »
To Bronze Dancer:

What cheese from Chicago are you referring to?

Offline Natephish

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2007, 10:53:17 PM »
Anyone in CT, MA, RI, NY, NJ or PA use Calabro cheese?  It's the best cheese I've ever used on a pizza, absolutely delicious.  I used a 50/50 part-skim/whole sliced mix.  Pepe's uses Calabro, according to the company's website.

http://www.calabrocheese.com/

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2007, 07:02:16 AM »
Pepe's uses Calabro, according to the company's website. http://www.calabrocheese.com/

I spoke to someone at Calabro's a while back and was told that Pepes's no longer uses their cheese notwithstanding what their website says. I was told that the website was to be updated. Apparently it hasn't.

Peter

Offline arturus

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2007, 09:52:25 AM »
Oh Gosh, I feel like I have been making Pizza in a cave somewhere AND, that I must live in the backwoods somewhere else.  I have never seen Calabro cheese.  NOW, I live in the Chicago area, can anyone tell me where I can find this wonderful cheese.  Thank you -  :pizza:

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2007, 05:12:03 PM »
OK here's the results. I made my standard pan pizza last week with the Sorrento and got rave reviews from the family. So tonights pie same pie except i used the last of the Grande up and asked how was the pie. First thing out of the wifes mouth was what kind of cheese did you use? Busted ::) Oh well that was the last of it. If you can get the Sorrento give it a try, IMO it's a lot better than the Grande.

Offline arturus

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2007, 09:26:49 AM »
Thank you Brian, yes, I use Sorrento all the time, but then I have ALWAYS used it and didn't know the difference between it and anything else.  It just does not seem to have enough flavor for me.  I will continue to look for the Grande to try.

Offline zymurgymaster

• A.lpha S.ausage S.upreme
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2007, 03:44:10 PM »
I too have had a go with all of the standard type supermarket mozzarella and all of them have fell, well short on flavor, stretch and browning.  I then found that I could purchase Grande in its various forms and I have settled on the 50/50 pre-shredded blend.  My wife has even commented that this is what cheese should smell like.  Needless to say we favor Grande for everything from Pizza to baked dishes.