Author Topic: Grande Cheese Question  (Read 11666 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Grande Cheese Question
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2007, 03:53:09 PM »
OK here's the results. I made my standard pan pizza last week with the Sorrento and got rave reviews from the family. So tonights pie same pie except i used the last of the Grande up and asked how was the pie. First thing out of the wifes mouth was what kind of cheese did you use? Busted ::) Oh well that was the last of it. If you can get the Sorrento give it a try, IMO it's a lot better than the Grande.

Bryan,  I am so glad you preferred the sorrento.  To me it is so much more flavorful than the grande, definitely the best you can get in a grocery store.  The problem with it and the calabro is that they are only available in certain states, mostly northeastern.  The good news is that the Boars Head cheese I have been reccomending is just repackaged (but more expensive) Sorrento, but available throught the whole country.

Calabro is good, but not anything amazing enough to bother having shipped from Connecticut to Chicago.

Offline nepa-pizza-snob

Re: Grande Cheese Question
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2007, 09:20:37 AM »
I have to say I am having a real hard time finding a cheese that surpasses the smell, taste, and texture of grande cheese products on my NY pizza or otherwise - its QUALITY. We eat this stuff
on everything else as well. I "age" their provolone and it is BANGIN with crackers - it beats the $9/lb S$%^#T they sell at the cheese counters. It doesn't hurt that I can buy it for $2/lb from my cash and carry pizza supplier I did try something called Dragone by Saputo yesterday and it is promising. I made a 100% mozz pie with it and it will do in a pinch or for people who don't care either way, but it costs as much as grande so why not buy grande. The ONLY issue I have is that I have to buy grande buy the case. The Dragone I can buy in 1#, 7# blocks or by the case. A case is a LOT of cheese :-D but you got to do what you got to do

pizzapan