Author Topic: Is there a risk when using tiny amounts of IDY?  (Read 2267 times)

Offline landras

Re: Is there a risk when using tiny amounts of IDY?
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 03:30:54 PM »
I usually use .5 grs for a kilo of flour and dissolve the yeast in the water before adding the flour. Never tried mixing the yeast and the flour with the paddle attachment first and then add the water. I will try that next weekend.

Online Bugsforbob

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 05:55:01 PM »
RE;From the Dough Doctor: "Cold water is a real bummer with IDY since it will extract glutathione from the yeast for a double whammy, loss of yeast activity and a softer dough (glutathione is an amino acid contained within the yeast cell that when extracted has the same effect upon the dough as L-cysteine (think PZ-44). This is actually sold as "dead yeast" where it is used as a dough relaxer to reduce the elasticity of the dough."

Me: What if the IDY was added to a small quantity of 95* water as recommended. After the yeast has re-hydrated, add it to the rest of the water at room temperature and proceed as usual. Then lower the dough to the desired bulk fermentation temp gradually. This is how it is done in homebrewing when cooler fermentations are desired. Hydrate relatively warmer and ferment relatively cooler.
I could be way off- just an idea.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 06:10:47 PM »
I can't imagine the gluthione in 0.03% IDY is meaningful.

Cold water isn't a problem for yeast activity either so long as you have planned for it.
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan