Author Topic: Finally Home and Making pies  (Read 4917 times)

Offline CopperTop

• La cucina e per passione
    • Confessions of a Pizza Stalker
Re: Finally Home and Making pies
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2013, 07:30:14 PM »
What he said.  ^^^

Thanks to google translate, I can understand both of you ;)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2013, 09:16:05 PM »
Seb; C'est une fille sympa, no?  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2013, 01:29:07 AM »
For anyone who's thought of taking a training class....  Check out my latest blog: One-on-One Training with Giulio Adriani of Forcella NYC. 

www.pizzastalker.blogspot.com

It's a quick summary of my day with Giulio.  Thanks again, Scott123 for suggesting to contact him back in January.  I really learned a lot from Giulio and highly recommend him for a training course.  He truly knows his craft, a high standard of professionalism and genuinely a good man.  Total respect for him. 

He hopes Pizza Academy will be ready to open their doors in September.  Primary focus will be 1-2 days course.  For most of the members here who already have a basic knowledge and experience, I personally think it will be worth the time and money for those interested in learning in a classroom setting.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2013, 01:57:53 AM »
For anyone who's thought of taking a training class....  Check out my latest blog: One-on-One Training with Giulio Adriani of Forcella NYC. 

www.pizzastalker.blogspot.com

It's a quick summary of my day with Giulio.  Thanks again, Scott123 for suggesting to contact him back in January.  I really learned a lot from Giulio and highly recommend him for a training course.  He truly knows his craft, a high standard of professionalism and genuinely a good man.  Total respect for him. 

He hopes Pizza Academy will be ready to open their doors in September.  Primary focus will be 1-2 days course.  For most of the members here who already have a basic knowledge and experience, I personally think it will be worth the time and money for those interested in learning in a classroom setting.
I've always been considered the "does not play well with others" type but could maybe consider another classroom setting...is this expensive?
Thanks!

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2013, 08:56:08 AM »
Awesome blog and your pizzas look amazing!

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2013, 09:07:06 AM »
I've always been considered the "does not play well with others" type but could maybe consider another classroom setting...is this expensive?
Thanks!
Pizza Academy starts construction in 2 weeks, which will take place above Forcella ( Brooklyn).  He is all about setting up an area, a formal "classroom" setting, away from the pizzeria business itself so that the main focus is learning, meaning their is no distractions from the teaching-learning process. 

I couldn't agree more.  While there is much to learn having the "classroom" in a pizzeria (ie, pre-opening hours), all the commotion that takes place distracts the learning process. Especially the teacher.  I experienced this during my training with Roberto. It was impossible for him not to answer the incessant phone calls, computer work, and inevitable interactions with staff when he was at his work place, rather than focusing on the actual training. Roberto is a very talented pizza maker but I think the distractions that take place in a pizzeria took away the value of a (very) costly training for me.

Giulio has the right idea of  designating an area separate from the business, and yet, still give the students the opportunity to experience real setting by going downstairs to the pizzeria and observing.  He spoke of bringing one of his long-time colleague to assist him in teaching the class, and even mentioned of working together with Roberto, perhaps. Though he didn't go into much detail about that.

He didn't mention charges/ cost but I can ask Giulio.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2013, 09:10:48 AM »
Awesome blog and your pizzas look amazing!
Thanks for the compliment  :).  Giulio is a very talented instructor- I learned a lot  from him that day.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2013, 09:30:14 AM »
CopperTop,

I really enjoyed your latest blog post on the One-on-One training with Giulio Adriani of Forcella.   You did a great job!  :chef:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2013, 09:34:13 AM »
Sharlene,

Would you be so kind as to recap the dough ball size and pizza diameter for each of the places you've studied Neapolitan pizza.

Thanks in advance,

Craig
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2013, 01:30:32 PM »
Pizza Academy starts construction in 2 weeks, which will take place above Forcella ( Brooklyn).  He is all about setting up an area, a formal "classroom" setting, away from the pizzeria business itself so that the main focus is learning, meaning their is no distractions from the teaching-learning process. 

I couldn't agree more.  While there is much to learn having the "classroom" in a pizzeria (ie, pre-opening hours), all the commotion that takes place distracts the learning process. Especially the teacher.  I experienced this during my training with Roberto. It was impossible for him not to answer the incessant phone calls, computer work, and inevitable interactions with staff when he was at his work place, rather than focusing on the actual training. Roberto is a very talented pizza maker but I think the distractions that take place in a pizzeria took away the value of a (very) costly training for me.

Giulio has the right idea of  designating an area separate from the business, and yet, still give the students the opportunity to experience real setting by going downstairs to the pizzeria and observing.  He spoke of bringing one of his long-time colleague to assist him in teaching the class, and even mentioned of working together with Roberto, perhaps. Though he didn't go into much detail about that.

He didn't mention charges/ cost but I can ask Giulio.
That's OK Sharlene, thanks. I think I have a fairly good idea on the costs. I agree with your points about the new Pizza Academy; sounds like a really smart way of doing this. Hope they do well.  :chef:

Offline scott123

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2013, 06:03:51 PM »
Sharlene, you're welcome for the suggestion. I am happy that it worked out well for you and that you've been able to keep up with Giulio so that we can be informed of his new enterprise.

I experienced this during my training with Roberto. It was impossible for him not to answer the incessant phone calls, computer work, and inevitable interactions with staff when he was at his work place, rather than focusing on the actual training. Roberto is a very talented pizza maker but I think the distractions that take place in a pizzeria took away the value of a (very) costly training for me.

Giulio is VPN, Robert is APN (his own organization).  These are competing groups, and, as far as I know, they're not that friendly with each other.  I don't think Roberto would ever trashtalk Giulio (or vice versa), but I think teaching together might stress Giulio's relationship with his parent organization. At least, I think that might be the case.

As far as Roberto being busy during your training, in all fairness, at the time, he was part owner of 3 pizzerias, and was actively running 2, one of which was relatively new.  I think it's also worth mentioning, that, within the hierarchy of the NY pizza scene, Keste is royalty while Forcella is a bit of an upstart.  It sounds a lot like you received exponentially more knowledge from Giulio than Roberto, but, for someone looking for a better sounding resume, a distracted and expensive Roberto might be a bit more valuable than an attentive Giulio.  Roberto should definitely have known his limitations and not offered to train you, but there are other factors in play than just transferring of knowledge. I liked Forcella quite a bit and I think it's prospects are great, but, at the time of your training, Roberto was a bit of a rock star.

All types of pizza will be taught including the pizza al metro, according to Giulio.

Does this mean that he's teaching NY style? I have the utmost respect for Giulio as a Neapolitan pizza maker and teacher, but if he's teaching NY, he and I are going to have a problem  ;D

Offline scott123

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2013, 06:25:28 PM »
I just re-read your blog entry, Sharlene and noticed this [bold mine]:

In collaboration with the Associazione Pizzaiuoli Napoletani President Sergio Miccu, and the sponsor of Caputo Flour, the new Pizza Academy will open to pizza professionals as well as home baker chefs.

Apparently Giulio has defected to the APN!  This is huge. No wonder why he's talking about working with Roberto. With Giulio in the APN, that leaves very little teaching talent in the VPN.  They just lost their, imo, only start player. This bodes incredibly poorly for the VPN- at least, domestically.

Sharlene, can you get any inside information as to the motivation behind Giulio's decision?  This move had to be pretty recent.  The VPN still lists him as 'Inspector and Master Pizzaiolo Teacher' on their website.

http://americas.pizzanapoletana.org/aboutus.php

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2013, 01:20:06 AM »
CopperTop,

I really enjoyed your latest blog post on the One-on-One training with Giulio Adriani of Forcella.   You did a great job!  :chef:

Norma
Thanks, Norma

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2013, 01:40:34 AM »
Roberto should definitely have known his limitations and not offered to train you, but there are other factors in play than just transferring of knowledge. I liked Forcella quite a bit and I think it's prospects are great, but, at the time of your training, Roberto was a bit of a rock star.

Does this mean that he's teaching NY style? I have the utmost respect for Giulio as a Neapolitan pizza maker and teacher, but if he's teaching NY, he and I are going to have a problem  ;D

Bingo. His daughter and Antonio are out of the country, and he's trying to run two pizzerias on his own.  He should have cancelled our training. I trained with him in the first part of May, and I cut my class short. i am hoping to finish up in August, hopefully he will be less distracted. A rock star? No sure what you mean...

I think Giulio will only be teaching Neapolitan, Pizza al Metro, and the likes.

Offline scott123

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2013, 02:00:10 AM »
A rock star? No sure what you mean...

Obsessives are familiar with Giulio, but Roberto has national public acclaim. He's not Bianco, and he's probably not quite Mangieri, but he's pretty famous. I think time might be leveling the playing field, but, back then, Roberto probably had students that were more than happy just to be in his presence.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2013, 02:55:20 AM »
I think time might be leveling the playing field, but, back then, Roberto probably had students that were more than happy just to be in his presence.
You are spot on.  You could not have said it better.  In the end of the day, marketing hype plays a huge role.

Online TXCraig1

I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2013, 02:45:11 PM »
Sharlene,

Would you be so kind as to recap the dough ball size and pizza diameter for each of the places you've studied Neapolitan pizza.

Thanks in advance,

Craig

I believe in her blog she stated the doughballs were 250 grams, but didn't mention the pizza diameter.
Chaz

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2013, 11:37:05 PM »
I believe in her blog she stated the doughballs were 250 grams, but didn't mention the pizza diameter.

Thanks for the reminder. Sorry I overlooked the question, Craig.  The recipe/workflow posted here is for 10 dough balls, at 250 grams.  About 10 inches in diameter.
I reviewed the videos I took during my training with Giulio, and he discussed portioning between 250-285 grams, in that range depending personal preference.  He helped me with a recipe that would work making Neapolitan pizzas at home.  During the training in Forcella, we were stretching the dough to fit a 13 inch metal peel. The dough I used were already pre-made, but I think they were around 260 grams.

I picked up some white plates from Kmart that measured 14 inches. These are the same plates shown in this post.  I balled the dough shown at 260 grams, looks like it's about 12 inches in diameter on the  14 inch white plate. (picture 1)

During my training with Roberto, the other student and I were balling dough balls in the range of 258-262.  Mostly 260 grams. About 150 balls, using an entire bag of Caputo flour. I remembered being challenged in twirling the pizzas while in the oven since I was stretching the dough wider than what I was used to.  I say we were stretching them to 13 inches in diameter. (picture 2)

This week, I will focus on 260 grams with a 13 diameter.  Weather is suppose to cool down to mid-70s this week. Hope this is helpful.

Offline scott123

« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2013, 11:57:37 PM »
Speaking of overlooked questions  ;D Sharlene, please, if you get a chance to talk to Giulio, ask him about the move from VPN to APN.

This is earth shattering news.  This is for pizza what Lebron James's move to Miami was for basketball- except extremely positive, if you're an APN fan.