Author Topic: Finally Home and Making pies  (Read 6660 times)

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
Re: Finally Home and Making pies
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2013, 07:18:19 AM »
(picture 2)

Sharlene,

Are those "practice pizzas" in the second picture? I'm curious as to how many of those were made, if that's what they are, and whether that's part of the typical "training process"with Roberto and/or Giulio ?

Thanks,

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2013, 10:16:03 AM »
Hope this is helpful.

Yes, very much. Thank you.

I've been using 270g for 13" pies, and I was curious how I compared.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline CopperTop

• La cucina e per passione
    • Confessions of a Pizza Stalker
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2013, 04:43:45 PM »
Sharlene,

Are those "practice pizzas" in the second picture? I'm curious as to how many of those were made, if that's what they are, and whether that's part of the typical "training process"with Roberto and/or Giulio ?

Thanks,

John K

Yes, John K.  Practice pizzas taken during my training with Roberto. This was taken either on Day 5&6 ...for two days,the other student opened the dough while I managed the oven.  Spending the day with Giulio accelerated my oven management skills that even Roberto was shocked when he watched me cook the first pizza and asked if I had worked before in a pizzeria.  We spent two hours doing this. The plan was to switch the next day, i would open the dough, and the other student would manage the oven.  i just couldnt bear another day... i think the 10 days was too long for me.   ??? I did the same practice pizzas with Giulio... First, making one pizza- opening the dough and then cooking it.  Then, two pizzas at once.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2013, 04:51:33 PM »
Yes, very much. Thank you.

I've been using 270g for 13" pies, and I was curious how I compared.

I will have to practice unloading the 260-270 g... I think I'm not giving enough of a quick jerk that I'm elongating the diameter, therefore, not retaining the round shape.

Thought of you when I stepped into Motorino the other night.  I remembered you liking the Brussels Sprouts.  We just finished dinner at Frank's, on our way to the movies when we stumbled upon Motorino.  Chatted with Charley, the GM who was really friendly answering all my questions. Will be sure to return and try the Brussels Sprouts in Aug.

Read your postings on the Calabrian chillies, so my radar has been on them and been picking up jars in our trips. Will be trying your recipe on making the paste from the whole peppers.  Thank you.

scott123

« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2013, 05:14:59 PM »
The plan was to switch the next day, i would open the dough, and the other student would manage the oven.  i just couldnt bear another day... i think the 10 days was too long for me.   ??? I did the same practice pizzas with Giulio... First, making one pizza- opening the dough and then cooking it.  Then, two pizzas at once.

This is a big part of why I'm such a big advocate for webcam training.  There's certain aspects of training that lend themselves to training in person, but there's also a lot of repetitive tasks required in order to master a skill- a student shouldn't have to pay a teacher to stretch skins all day, or, for that matter, launch pies all day. With a webcam, the teacher can show them once or twice, make sure they're using the correct form and then leave them to do their repetition on their own. It's a lot more effective use of training resources- and dollars.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2013, 05:36:20 PM »
I will have to practice unloading the 260-270 g... I think I'm not giving enough of a quick jerk that I'm elongating the diameter, therefore, not retaining the round shape.

What I find works best is to start the pie slightly oval with the long axis perpendicular to the direction you will pull the peel out from under it. When you do this, the slight stretching from pulling out the peel leaves it nice and round.

Pizza is not bread.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2013, 05:58:05 PM »
This is a big part of why I'm such a big advocate for webcam training.  There's certain aspects of training that lend themselves to training in person, but there's also a lot of repetitive tasks required in order to master a skill- a student shouldn't have to pay a teacher to stretch skins all day, or, for that matter, launch pies all day. With a webcam, the teacher can show them once or twice, make sure they're using the correct form and then leave them to do their repetition on their own. It's a lot more effective use of training resources- and dollars.

Roberto does incorporate video in his training.  On Day 3, he set up his computer on a shelf above the pizza prep table.  The video showed Antonio Starita opening up dough, dressing the dough with tomatoes and cheese, about a 1-2 minute clip.  We got to watch that during the training...on Day 4, 5, and 6. Back in October, when I started my quest for learning how to make Neapolitan pizzas, I got to know Roberto's technique through his videos,  available YouTube, and that was free!!  I am hoping to complete the training in Aug. and hope that on Day 7-10, Roberto  will be more hands-ons.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2013, 05:58:28 PM »
What I find works best is to start the pie slightly oval with the long axis perpendicular to the direction you will pull the peel out from under it. When you do this, the slight stretching from pulling out the peel leaves it nice and round.
Thanks, I'll keep this in mind.

Offline antocorr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2013, 06:41:56 PM »
This pies look amazing! I love that big cornicione you achieved!

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2013, 10:26:55 PM »
This pies look amazing! I love that big cornicione you achieved!
Thanks!!

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2013, 01:28:07 AM »
It's Official!  I have stepped over the line,  professed my love for Neapolitan pizza, and vow to share my passion to Central Virginia ( Charlottesville and Richmond).  I know, it's crazy, but i know you all understand.

Check out my pizza project, gone LIVE:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bufalapizza/bringing-authentic-neapolitan-pizza-to-central-vir

Excited to see where this new adventure takes me.  Thanks for the great camaraderie and pizza support!!

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2013, 05:55:54 AM »
It's Official!  I have stepped over the line,  professed my love for Neapolitan pizza, and vow to share my passion to Central Virginia ( Charlottesville and Richmond).  I know, it's crazy, but i know you all understand.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bufalapizza/bringing-authentic-neapolitan-pizza-to-central-vir

Excited to see where this new adventure takes me.  Thanks for the great camaraderie and pizza support!!

That is soooo awesome! I wish you the best of luck!!

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2013, 06:11:56 AM »
Congrats!   If I were still down there I'd be your customer.  Living in Montpelier is what started my own pizza making quest.

Best of luck with the business!

Deb

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2013, 08:05:59 AM »

Sharlene,

That is great news. ;D  Best of luck and success in your new adventure!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2013, 10:50:56 AM »
Good luck on your project...
Bert,

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2013, 12:08:42 PM »
 very well done!!!!

Offline landras

« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2013, 04:25:23 PM »
Congrats!!! good luck with the kickstarter!!!

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2013, 04:54:05 PM »
Thanks for the well wishes!!  Two days, I decided to back a Kickstarter project to experience the process...the 100% Japanese Kobe Beer Fed Beef looked delicious, and since they were close to their end time and got more funds than they expected, I was in.  I got this email from KickStarter today:

Hi there,

This is a message from Kickstarter Support. We're writing to inform you that a project you backed, KOBE RED - 100% JAPANESE BEER FED KOBE BEEF JERKY, has been suspended by Kickstarter. Your $40.00 pledge has been automatically canceled and you will not be charged. No further action is necessary.

As a policy, Kickstarter does not comment on specific reasons for a project's suspension to the creator or backers, but included below is information from our FAQ regarding suspensions. Project suspensions are not reversible.

Thanks,
Kickstarter

Why would a project be suspended?

A project may be suspended by Kickstarter if it:

Violates or acts inconsistently with the letter or spirit of the Kickstarter Guidelines or Terms of Use
Materially changes the stated use of funds
Makes unverifiable claims
Exhibits actions that are more closely associated with fraudulent or high-risk activity

YIKES!  I thought it was rather peculiar that their video did not show a face or person. Very odd, I thought. Should have followed my gut feeling. Good thing they were outed and my credit card not charged.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2013, 05:04:59 PM »
Seems like kickstarter would be fairly easy to set up a scam. Lay back and wait until near your closing date and then funnel/channel in the balance(if you are lacking)with your own money...then "take the money an run" as they say.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2013, 06:12:43 PM »
Seems like kickstarter would be fairly easy to set up a scam. Lay back and wait until near your closing date and then funnel/channel in the balance(if you are lacking)with your own money...then "take the money an run" as they say.

Bobby, Bobby, Bobby.......

I hadn't even thought of that clever little scheme until you said it!  >:D >:D >:D >:D

I need to think more devilishly!

How in the heck could you monitor for this type of scam??!!! Maybe they contract with the NSA!! :-D

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!