Author Topic: Do you guys use the tomato sauce that is packed with the San Marzano tomatoes?  (Read 1234 times)

Offline mililani

• I Love Pizza!
Hi,

I recently bought a can of Cento San Marzano tomatoes (not the DOP label) from Trader Joes.  Today, I was making a sauce for a NY style pizza.  It's basically the same sauce used with Margherita pizzas.  Anyways, when I opened the can, I was kinda shocked.  I thought that the tomatoes would be packed in water or in its own juices; however, the tomatoes were packed in what looked like tomato sauce.  I didn't know what to do with all that sauce, but it smelled like it should be use for a spaghetti sauce. 

I just picked out the tomatoes to put into the food processor to make my pizza sauce.  I was just wondering, do you guys use that tomato sauce that is packed in the can for the pizza sauce?

Offline TXCraig1

When I make sauce, it all goes into the food mill with the tomatoes. It's just tomato puree - the exact same thing as you are making in your food processor. Why wouldn't you use it in your pizza sauce?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
I think it depends on what brand of tomatoes.
On some, it's more water than puree.
Interestingly enough, I found the puree on the Cento "organic" to be thin and watery, but not the puree on the regular Cento.

I always wondered what the food mill grabs, outside of the seeds ?

Offline TXCraig1

On some, it's more water than puree.

It might be watery, but it isn't added water.

Tomatoes can be packed in tomato paste, puree, pulp, juice, or the strained residual liquid from preparation.  Regardless of which packing medium is used, it must be stated on the label. If it's any of the first four, it must meed the FDA standard of identity of that item. I.e. if it says tomato puree on the label, it meets the definition of tomato puree.

If no packing medium is added, it would be labeled as "solid packed."
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline dmcavanagh

Somewhere there's a video of Paulie Gee talking about how he only uses the tomatoes themselves, never the puree. He believes the puree is not of the same quality as the tomatoes. It's a good video, but not as good as the one about his secretly sourced tomatoes! :-D

Offline dmcavanagh

I LMAO everytime I watch that! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Offline mililani

• I Love Pizza!
Hahaha, great video!  So, does anyone know what kind of tomatoes he uses?

And, much thanks for all of the responses!  I will just use the tomatoes.

pizzapan