Author Topic: Eating notes: D.O.C. Pizza, Calton, Melbourne, Australia  (Read 746 times)

Offline dylandylan

Eating notes: D.O.C. Pizza, Calton, Melbourne, Australia
« on: May 23, 2013, 06:29:29 AM »
Friday May 11 2013 4:30pm

Ordered "Pizza D.O.C." (essentially a Margherita, but with additional buffalo mozzarella edit:burrata(?) and basil fresh basil added post-bake).    Pizza was $20.9AUD.  Arrived sliced into six. Given knife and fork, and the large paper menus serve as placemats.   We've heard of wait times often exceeding an hour, but arriving at 4:30 we avoided any waiting - drinks arrived in five minutes, pizza about 5 minutes after that, great.  Service was fine.

First impression of the pizza: Minimal charing all 'round, but not a bad looking pie.   Assuming they're using a wood fired oven, but it appeared to be a fairly low temp cook giving more of a mild browning ala home-oven temperatures.  Less sweetness than I expected from the sauce and overall this was a salty pizza.    Cornicone was crunchy and a little on the dry side, not at all soft/puffy/tender.  There's no way this pizza would have been foldable.  Sauce was also a little dry on the perimeter, but nicely soupy in the centre.  Char on underside was again more like browning than charing.   Didn't see any of the prep/bake so can't say for sure how they're running things.

In summary, not blown away, but would happily eat another.  If I had made this pizza myself I'd be thinking… 1) this had a touch too much salt, and 2) could do with a shorter/hotter bake.

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: Eating notes: D.O.C. Pizza, Calton, Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 04:36:53 PM »
Not a bad looking pizza. And that looks a lot like burrata to me.

Offline rockmes

• Gotta have a wood oven
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 06:02:50 PM »
I'm from Melbourne too. Been there several times.
I don't think they do a DOP pizza. It's a nice pizza but not
Authentic Napoletana. .  400 Gradi pizzeria does it better. Avpn approved. Just sent you lp warren quote.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 08:19:25 PM »
i spy sugar and/or oil in that crust.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 02:34:50 AM »
You're probably right about the burrata there, seems to be the cheese all the kids are using these days.    Certainly not unpleasant.

I had 400 Gradi and a few other joints on my shortlist for Melbourne but didn't manage to fit in as much of my Pizza-crawl as I hoped!  In fact it started and finished here at DOC.   I'll plan my return trip over more carefully.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 03:40:56 AM »
You're probably right about the burrata there, seems to be the cheese all the kids are using these days.    Certainly not unpleasant.

I had 400 Gradi and a few other joints on my shortlist for Melbourne but didn't manage to fit in as much of my Pizza-crawl as I hoped!  In fact it started and finished here at DOC.   I'll plan my return trip over more carefully.

I see you edited your post based on my response. I'm not 100% positive at all. Just was what I thought. I love burrata on pizza is all.

pizzapan