Author Topic: How to ensure the pizza you order is top quality?  (Read 2651 times)

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: How to ensure the pizza you order is top quality?
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 01:45:19 PM »
I welcome someone coming in and saying they are use to great pizza and do we make great pizza.  I first ask what is their idea of great pizza.  You would be amazed at the answers I get here in Central Ohio.   Last week we had a woman from new haven come in and try our cheese pie.   She told me up front Pepe's was her baseline for a good pie.  I welcomed the challenge and after she ate our pie said it was the right there with Pepe's and the best she has had outside of New Haven.   Conversely we had a guy come in bragging about pizza cottage which has several locations in our area.   I politely kept my mouth shut and when he finished a slice said I should really check out Pizza Cottage for a superior pie.  IMO pizza cottage is worse than a 3 dollar frozen pizza from the supermarket.  Everything they do is the opposite of how we make pies. It is all what one is use to I reckon.   Being raised in the NYC/Essex County NJ pizza world I love having a person come in from that area asking me if I make real pizza.  I tell them up front yes we do and if they don't like it I will refund their money.   I enjoy these encounters because bottom line is I really enjoy my pies and eat 2 slices a day for lunch and never tire of it. So whatever others think of it is an afterthought... ;D    Walter
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 01:50:33 PM by waltertore »

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 01:57:24 PM »
Walter, you have got to be one of the coolest people on this forum.  I love your posts!  ;D

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 02:00:35 PM »
Walter, you have got to be one of the coolest people on this forum.  I love your posts!  ;D

Hi Jackie:  Thanks!  What the heck.  I figure I have to love it or why do make/do it.   I get turned off by 99% of pizzerias because they seem to lack a personality with their staff and pies.   If you are ever in the Columbus area come on in for some pie on me.   Walter

PS:  I heard Ralph Stanley interviewed awhile back.  The interviewer asked him - in your opinion who is your favorite bluegrass player?  He answered - Ralph Stanley.   That kind of left the interviewer a bit stunned for a second.  One is suppose to cite someone besides themself to be politically correct but if we are really honest and let our passion emerge this will always be the answer.  Why?  Because we put all we have into what we do with no concerns for what others think. It isn't bragging, just being honest. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 02:04:20 PM by waltertore »

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 02:03:16 PM »
Will do!  Should I mention I'm there on behalf of PM.com?  JK!  :-D

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 02:05:08 PM »

Jackie:  I am not sure what PM.com means.  I am not up on the net jargon.  Walter

PS:  Now I get it Pizzamaking forum.  I am slow in many ways...........
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 07:59:21 PM by waltertore »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 02:07:14 PM »
  :-D   And you want a good table...one that ain't all rickety!
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 03:30:02 PM »
I just wanted to add Im sorry if my posts seem bitter My brother and I strive to make the best pizza we can each and every day, but our best isnt the same to everybody, everybody is different. If someone came in from pizzamaking.com Id be ecstatic Id say FINNALY! someone who knows what im talking about and shares the same passion but Im not sure if the majority of owners would feel the same way.
Jamie

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 03:38:22 PM »
I just wanted to add Im sorry if my posts seem bitter My brother and I strive to make the best pizza we can each and every day, but our best isnt the same to everybody, everybody is different. If someone came in from pizzamaking.com Id be ecstatic Id say FINNALY! someone who knows what im talking about and shares the same passion but Im not sure if the majority of owners would feel the same way.
I don't see any need to apologize what so ever. Your comments are the most on point IMO.

I wag my head from side to side cause everyplace I've been to have never heard of PM.com.
C'mon man...you sell pizza and never research it or have any interest in "pizza" on the internet? Daaaang....

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 05:30:08 PM »
I wag my head from side to side cause everyplace I've been to have never heard of PM.com.
C'mon man...you sell pizza and never research it or have any interest in "pizza" on the internet? Daaaang....

I think that is a little unfair. If your end goal in pizza is just to make the best pizza possible then just keep making pizza at home. The end goal of a pizza business is to make money.  They are researching and discussing completely different things. Read the topics at the think tank. They are not interested in constantly changing recipes/experimenting once their doors open. I mean look at people on this forum, they are sometimes making pizzas that cost over $10 just to make. That doesn't fly in a business. If I posted about getting a new conveyor oven people would just point out how terrible of a pizza they produce. Different forums with different goals.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 06:28:16 PM »
I think that is a little unfair. If your end goal in pizza is just to make the best pizza possible then just keep making pizza at home. The end goal of a pizza business is to make money.  They are researching and discussing completely different things. Read the topics at the think tank. They are not interested in constantly changing recipes/experimenting once their doors open. I mean look at people on this forum, they are sometimes making pizzas that cost over $10 just to make. That doesn't fly in a business. If I posted about getting a new conveyor oven people would just point out how terrible of a pizza they produce. Different forums with different goals.
So you are saying if you want to make the best pizza just stay at home and if you own a pizzeria you are not interested in change/experimenting...only research and discuss different things that will help you reach your end goal of making money?

That is putting the horse behind the cart man. And it doesn't have to cost a fortune to make the best pizza...look at Pizza Town.
People have posted here about having just purchased a conveyor oven and inquired about how to make a good pie in it....not how many pies can I shove through it.

Offline petef

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 08:01:23 PM »
Yes, and that makes sense for what you do, but your objective is very different from Pete's. He wants to accomplish exactly what you want to avoid. You hide who are because you want a truly random sample. Pete wants to let them know who he is because he DOES NOT want a random sample. He wants to influence the pizzamaker with the hope ensuring that he will get their best possible pie.

Well stated, Craig. I couldn't have said it better.

Years, ago a friend gave me some words of wisdom that I'll never forget. After I was complaining about a particular service business and saying I won't use them again, my friend urged me to take a different approach. He said something like; You will always have to deal with different kinds of service businesses, so rather than complaining or getting upset and boycotting, it's better to learn how to deal with them more effectively so that you get the proper service in the first place. That's kind of what this thread is all about. What can a person say up front while ordering that would influence them to make you a great pie. Their masterpiece pizza. I definitely picked up some good tips from everyone here. Thank you all! :)

---pete---

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2013, 08:05:30 PM »

this is what turns me off to most pizzerias today.  I will always make the best pie I can.  People here are constantly asking me to do a kazillion toppings, and different size pies.  We do one size and the choices are cheese and pepperoni.  I have recently started doing a semi sicilian/deep dish creation of my own in a cast iron pot.   People like it.  We live simple and when I retire from teaching high school the plan is to open a very small shop, like 500sq ft and I do all the making, my wife does the money, and hopefully we can employ a disabled adult to do the dishes and cleaning.   One size pie, very few toppings, and stop at like 40 pies a day.   Americans are greedy and it results in crap food much of the time.   Walter

Offline petef

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2013, 08:11:49 PM »
Pete,

I am not sure if I would mention pizzamaking.com.

Point taken. :) 

---pete---

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 10:05:06 PM »
So you are saying if you want to make the best pizza just stay at home and if you own a pizzeria you are not interested in change/experimenting...only research and discuss different things that will help you reach your end goal of making money?

That is putting the horse behind the cart man. And it doesn't have to cost a fortune to make the best pizza...look at Pizza Town.
People have posted here about having just purchased a conveyor oven and inquired about how to make a good pie in it....not how many pies can I shove through it.

No that is not what I'm saying.  You changed what I said to it's extremes. I am just saying not to be so hard on the pizza shop owners who haven't heard of this website. Most of the information found on this board isn't that pertinent to them. That is why we have very active users who are pizza shop owners who opened their doors before registering.

And walter- I think that's fine that those ideals turn you off to most pizzerias, but that doesn't make them bad businesses. It just isn't your thing. No need to judge other shops who do things differently.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 10:29:13 PM »
No that is not what I'm saying.  You changed what I said to it's extremes. I am just saying not to be so hard on the pizza shop owners who haven't heard of this website. Most of the information found on this board isn't that pertinent to them. That is why we have very active users who are pizza shop owners who opened their doors before registering.

And walter- I think that's fine that those ideals turn you off to most pizzerias, but that doesn't make them bad businesses. It just isn't your thing. No need to judge other shops who do things differently.
Jeff,
I did not change one single thing or try to put words in your mouth. I simply broke it down bro. Maybe you are saying things you don't really mean to say...but please don't say I changed your words; that is not Bob's game. Yes, you are correct...it does sound extreme and that is why I chose to point that out. Thank you...

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2013, 11:19:15 PM »
Is it?  I mean, it is their profession of choice, right?  Granted we all make mistakes, but bad quality is bad quality and inconsistency is a hallmark of bad quality, especially in a brick and mortar restaurant where the environment is much more controllable.

I would toss it back to you and ask:  What's allowable in terms of serving up an inconsistent/lower quality pizza from a percent perspective?  1%?  5%?  15%?  What what would that mean for other professions if we gave them the same leeway?  (Surgeons, airline pilots, etc.)
If you think every single pizza you pull out of the oven is going to be perfect you're crazy, especially when working with a WFO/CFO at higher temps. I'm working at a CFO place and out of about 75 pizza(in 5 hours) or so maybe 4-5 have to be remade. Either because the person opening the skin made a spot to thin and gets a hole(which will be salvaged for the most part and made into a slice pie) in the oven or you take your eye off a pizza to tend another for a few seconds and a little bit gets burned. There are a lot of variables when you have 4 pizza's, wings, and other things baking at the same time at 750F+.

People like Anthony at UPN or Peter at Pizzeria Bruno who were/are doing everything by themselves are frickin' super heroes. Opening, dressing and oven tending solo is madness if you are slammed and even if you are moderately busy is still tough. I try and get every single pizza out of the oven as perfectly baked as possible but sometimes you slip up, its going to happen.

Then when you have someone come in and tell you how to do your job, is very insulting to say the least. Most of the people who work at pizzerias or restaurants in general consider it a "job" in the sense that its just work and its something they have to do to make a living. It's not like people on the forum where they have the passion driving to make it their "career" and something they can get happy and content doing as a living.

Thats my 2 cents at least.

Offline petef

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2013, 04:35:27 AM »
I'm working at a CFO place and out of about 75 pizza(in 5 hours) or so maybe 4-5 have to be remade.

Ok, being a pizza chef, you are the perfect person to ask. What is the best advice you could offer to someone trying your pizza for the first time after hearing you make the such a great pie. Is there anything they can do to ensure they don't get a sub-standard pie?

I'd say, a satisfied first time customer leads to a loyal customer who will tolerate the occasional sub-standard pie. However, to be most successful, there has to be a method to ensure you deliver your very best product to the first time customers.

Perhaps this is the answer....

I was at one pizza shop and they allowed the customer to specify the type of crust preferred. I can't recall the details now, but I think "extra crunchy" was one of the options.  If I owned a pizza shop, I think I'd consider something similar. When feeding the order to the pizza chef, I'd specify the toppings, soft, regular, or crunchy crust, and NEW CUSTOMER. NEW CUSTOMER would tell my pizza chef to give it some extra care to ensure we get this new customer as a permanent customer.

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2013, 05:40:20 AM »
The more I think about this topic the more Im leaning towards this - There is no way to make this situation not ackward... youre just going to have to say "Im a first time customer and I really want to try this place at its best!" Youll probably get a eye roll maybe but I doubt it and most likely you have pizza that is them at their best.
   Its kind of like when you go to a new barber shop and everyone tells you have "John" cut your hair not "Steve". So when you go there u just have to say I want "john" to give me a haircut its ackward but hey at least youll leave with the best haircut you could.
 The same idea could be applied to a pizza place just tell them make it the best! Thats the most direct way to ensure you get the best pizza possible
Jamie

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2013, 05:50:34 AM »
Just wanted to say its never bothered me when people let me know they are first time customers and when they do i always try extra hard to make it perfect. On a busy friday night when we have about 200 customers from about 6:00-8:00 it becomes alot more difficult.... So my point is going on an off peak night ( mon tues wed) would most likely help alot
Jamie

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2013, 05:37:32 PM »
Sorry for the late reply.

What is the best advice you could offer to someone trying your pizza for the first time after hearing you make the such a great pie. Is there anything they can do to ensure they don't get a sub-standard pie?
This might sound weird but go into a place with average to low expectations because if you go somewhere that's been hyped up so much you get something you start thinking its going to be so amazing and then even if its  really good you still seem to be let down because you though it was going to be some magically pizza. That's my train of thought at least for everything I do. I try and form my own opinions about food because every single person has there own taste. But your last sentence is kind of insulting because you're insinuating that the person opening, dressing, or tending the oven isn't trying to make every pizza perfect. So when someone comes in and says make mine the best of your ability it's like "What do you think I'm doing, trying to send out crap quality product. of course I'm doing my best".

I don't know what you do for a living but say you were a surgeon and your patient said you better do your best work on me, you're going to think "Obviously. What you think I'm going to half ass other peoples surgery and your a specially chase".

Ok, being a pizza chef
I don't make the pizzas, I'm one of the only 2 people aloud to tend the oven during peck hours(5-9). Plus even if I was making the pizzas I wouldn't call myself a "chef" but that's my own pet peeve when it comes to people giving themselves self proclaimed titles. Like line cooks calling themselves chefs is funny to me and insulting to real chefs.

I was at one pizza shop and they allowed the customer to specify the type of crust preferred. I can't recall the details now, but I think "extra crunchy" was one of the options.  If I owned a pizza shop, I think I'd consider something similar. When feeding the order to the pizza chef, I'd specify the toppings, soft, regular, or crunchy crust, and NEW CUSTOMER. NEW CUSTOMER would tell my pizza chef to give it some extra care to ensure we get this new customer as a permanent customer.
People order "well done" or "lighter" baked pies all the time and well tell them being coal fired it's already at a "well done" stage and they still want it. But there are draw backs to that; and something we would get blamed for because of something the customer doesn't consider. One if you want it "lightly" baked that's fine, I don't mind doing that at all, but being lightly baked and not letting the dough go through the full stage of baking means there might be some "raw" or gum lines here or there and you will get "bad reviews" but that's what they wanted and even if it was specified before hand. On there other hand getting it well done it can be drier than usual to what the customer might think well done is and again you will get blamed for making something in your words was "sub-standard" even if that was what the specially asked for because the saying goes "The customer is always right...".

These might not be the answers you were looking for but it's how I feel and I don't want to speck for other people who are servers in a food establishment but many feel like customers can just say or do whatever they want because they are the ones "paying you" l and because of that stupid ass "the customer is always right" saying.

And I don't want you to think I'm being hostel towards you I'm just specking my mind in general about how I feel about the questions asked.

pizzapan